Can we get back to discussing Star Citizen? The thread has been bumped from critiquing Star Citizen to critiquing Elite: Dangerous instead. It is the classic deflecting troll tactic.

Regarding the state of the game and stability of patch 3.8

You know, I pop in once awhile, my knowledge to SC goes from 2012-2016 after that I know nothing. So it’s now almost 2020 and my question is; any economy yet, can you buy ships in game with money earned in game? Are there pirate NPC, ship to ship battle PVE, FPS PVE? How is the game? Not the graphics or the stores or anything else, is it a game or a dressing window?
    • Any economy yet - Not really. Buying and selling are on timers which can be more annoying than anything else.
    • Can you buy ships in game with money earned in game - yes, can rent them as well. wipes making getting enough money to do it makes it challenging/impossible. they aim to reduce wipes, but we will see how that goes.
    • Are there pirate NPC - sorta, mainly mindless.
    • Ship to ship battle PVE - yes, ai is hit or miss.
    • FPS PVE - yes, ai is either mindless or rushes you like a zombie hoard
    • How is the game - buggy, but some of us manage to enjoy it.

It is in worse shape than it has been in in a while right now. After the latest patch.
    Man, 3.8 is the buggiest game I've ever played. But mentions of it in chat in-game resulted in the, "it's an alpha, don't complain" argument. And I said, "Well you'd think after 7 years it'd be less buggy..." to which they replied, "It's an alpha, all bugs are acceptable. Either put up with it or leave." The eternal alpha continues.

Spent about 7 of my 8 hours playing trying to get the game to work for more than 15 minutes without a game breaking bug occurring. Can't reclaim ships, beds cause black screens, (so dying by walking into an NPC or other player results in having to restart your game, or when you fall through geometry or get stuck somewhere requiring suicide, which is a huge pain in parties) changing weapons cause black screens, EVA causes total character lock 10 times out of 10 when in zero-g space no matter how you exit your ship, trying on armor causes a game freeze, inspecting a weapon causes it to grow in size exponentially to where it blocks your entire view, (annoying one because your weapon won't fire till you inspect it due to another bug) etc. I could make a list of about 20 game breaking bugs from that one gameplay session. xD
    I did a more thorough run through that 3.8 patch. In addition to previous broken things (as mentioned above by others and myself) I'll add:
    • Broken trade terminals, they tend to glitch out and refuse to show your ships (and then cargo). Seems like re-logging might help, or doing a rain dance around your desk, clockwise. If they still refuse to work properly, tough luck.
    • A really, really ludicrous commodity trade timer, when said terminals grace you with a working user interface. So i had a full cargo load that i could only sell about 2.5% of at one time, then wait for like 30 minutes ?! Seriously, CiG ?
    • Speaking of trade terminals. So they remodelled the rest stops (they are a bit bigger now), alright. Now the trade terminal is hidden far, far away from the gates, in one case (HUR-L1 iirc) i found it in the locker room !! Why ? Why no admin office near the gates ? Why the locker room ??
    • Still broken repair/refuel/restock. Somehow to unglitch it you have to hover just above the landing pad and then ask for refuel etc. I can imagine how fun that must be in a bigger ship...
    • So they added all these now fully fleshed out rest stop with many shops etc. in them. This also means they spread out even more the equipment you are looking for. I mean the ship components, weapons, etc. (or your own personal equipment). Have fun spending hours and fuel looking for your replacement armor or missile..
    • Stopped there since my whole net worth in the game is now stuck in my ship cargo, and no i wont play the "wait 30 min to sell 2% of it" game.
    Edit: I am glad Quantum Travel has been looked at, making small ships faster but needing to refuel more and large ships slower but needing to refuel less is a much better design.
    Last edited by masterblaster0; 2019-12-29 at 09:45 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    But none of that should matter if ship damage is the only thing that is important, as the other guy claimed.

You're absolutely right that there are new weapons which do better damage to this type of npc as well as modules to help protect your ship against the caustic effects.
    When it comes to fighting it is..... And bigger ships will still do more damage to these. Isn't this the same reason you guys are saying SC is pay to win?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    When it comes to fighting it is..... And bigger ships will still do more damage to these. Isn't this the same reason you guys are saying SC is pay to win?
    This is such a stupid conversation. The original claim was that is no skill involved in Elite's combat when that is absolutely not true.

If people can solo these endgame npcs in small or medium ships then there is clearly skill involved.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is such a stupid conversation. The original claim was that is no skill involved in Elite's combat when that is absolutely not true.

If people can solo these endgame npcs in small or medium ships then there is clearly skill involved.
    A conda is going to beat an asp 90% of the time. Ship size matters more than skill. Does skill help? sure, but not as much as you are trying to make it seem.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    A conda is going to beat an asp 90% of the time. Ship size matters more than skill. Does skill help? sure, but not as much as you are trying to make it seem.
    That is not the discussion.

It was said there is NO skill involved in Elite's combat, to which I countered that people are soloing endgame npcs normally intended for group play, hence there is clearly skill required.

Whether they do it in a small, medium or large ship is irrelevant, they are still taking on a mob intended for a 4 player group by themself which requires a lot more skill due to being a single target and having 1/4 of the dps.
    Last edited by 1001; 2019-12-29 at 05:09 PM.

That is not the discussion.

It was said there is NO skill involved in Elite's combat, to which I countered that people are soloing endgame npcs normally intended for group play, hence there is clearly skill required.

Whether they do it in a small, medium or large ship is irrelevant, they are still taking on a mob intended for a 4 player group by themself which requires a lot more skill due to being a single target and having 1/4 of the dps.
    All of elites combat is just fighter combat, line up straight and shoot so that hardly qualifies as skill, all the small ships in SC are pretty much the same with a few exceptions on ships that have turretts, you can easily solo them if your in an suitable ship that is equipped to fight them, most of the shooting from the thargoid cant be avoided and its even pointless to try in a large ship, the thargoids are pointless content though as they dont give a good enough reward to be worth the time to kill it more than once.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    All of elites combat is just fighter combat, line up straight and shoot so that hardly qualifies as skill, all the small ships in SC are pretty much the same with a few exceptions on ships that have turretts, you can easily solo them if your in an suitable ship that is equipped to fight them, most of the shooting from the thargoid cant be avoided and its even pointless to try in a large ship, the thargoids are pointless content though as they dont give a good enough reward to be worth the time to kill it more than once.
    Yep sure thing Kenn, whatever you say Kenn.

One of the top pilots [Terada] in Star Citizen released another flight video now showcasing his mates having fun with in the new snow planet Microtech along some other moons updated with the new planetary v.4 tech.

Credits also to the Thunderbirds Space Crew.

10+ Year Old Account
    id like to get into the game, or at least try to, again after april last year. i forgot even the very basics like how to hide wheels and take off etc
    it took me nearly and hour (divided in two playing sessions) just to find the blue line metro in order to get to the spaceport. and then i crashed because i accidentaly left the ship midflight instead of hiding wheels
    then i logged off again

i like persistence of this game. i used to play DayZ. it was clumsy just as star citizen is but i considered it a good thing because it added weight to everything i do. id like to enjoy SC but its just so much more complicated than DayZ

all tips are welcome
    Last edited by Proskill; 2020-01-06 at 12:17 PM.
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Some juicy news regarding legal battle with Crytek over Squadron 42.

https://www.pcgamer.com/crytek-is-tr...D4M3iAHt9nzn0s

Seems we wont see S42 anytime in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post

Legal battle or not, S42 isn't going to release in 2020 anyway.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    id like to get into the game, or at least try to, again after april last year. i forgot even the very basics like how to hide wheels and take off etc
    it took me nearly and hour (divided in two playing sessions) just to find the blue line metro in order to get to the spaceport. and then i crashed because i accidentaly left the ship midflight instead of hiding wheels
    then i logged off again

i like persistence of this game. i used to play DayZ. it was clumsy just as star citizen is but i considered it a good thing because it added weight to everything i do. id like to enjoy SC but its just so much more complicated than DayZ

all tips are welcome
    This might help

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    This might help
    Thanks, man. I love pictures like this. Its simple and effective
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    Thanks, man. I love pictures like this. Its simple and effective
    hit me up if you are down for some fps missions, that's what i mainly do in-game atm, bunker missions are borked, but i will try them tomorrow. but instead i have been soloing the new 890 Jump hostage/hacking mission. lots of fun and very punishing if you are ever caught not checking your corners, you also have to be careful not to kill the ships security forces as you are there to help them and you will get a crime stat and instant bounty on your head, haha.

this patch is a much more buggy than the last but there are workarounds for most things. devs are back from vacation this week so we should start seeing patches with bug fixes and the remaining ships soon. looking forward to checking out the Prowler and the Carrack, those ships and the Valkyrie are prolly some of my favorite ships atm outside the Origin line though i do have a mad soft spot for the Drake Kracken and Buccaneer.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Legal battle or not, S42 isn't going to release in 2020 anyway.
    Its def not coming out now via stand alone. Their entire lawsuit hinges on a released game. If they bake it into SC, they can avoid legal troubles AND delay SC another 10 years because "putting both games together takes new tech" /DickBeat.

This is literally the BEST thing that could happen to CIG, now Chris wont point to his "slow developers" like hes done in many of his interviews, now he will point to the courts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post

Looking at the status of the S42 roadmap, it looks like it is at least two or three years away. Half of the missions are still in the whiteboxing phase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Looking at the status of the S42 roadmap, it looks like it is at least two or three years away. Half of the missions are still in the whiteboxing phase.
    There wont be a SQ42 release, its the ONLY way CIG can avoid the lawsuit. SQ42 has to be baked into SC, or CIG is financially screwed.

But dont worry, it will only take 10 more years to "build the tech" that merges the two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Is that something they can afford though? How many more years can whaling buy them?

To get this far they already had to get some private investors, if they don't release a product, they might need to find some more...
    I'm just being hyperbolic. I doubt they will spend 10 more years.

I have a feeling in the end, SC will release in about 4 more years with 20% of the promised features in SC and 10% of what was promised in SQ42. And then Chris will abandon the project and start a new company "that will really bring you the game he wanted to make into SC!!!!! Just click here to donate!".

3rd times `a charm I guess. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Is that something they can afford though? How many more years can whaling buy them?

To get this far they already had to get some private investors, if they don't release a product, they might need to find some more...
    based off of the 2018 finances and assuming funding levels do not drop off they have about 7 years thanks to the 46mil investment they sought. Without that investment they wouldn't have made 2021.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I'm just being hyperbolic. I doubt they will spend 10 more years.

I have a feeling in the end, SC will release in about 4 more years with 20% of the promised features in SC and 10% of what was promised in SQ42. And then Chris will abandon the project and start a new company "that will really bring you the game he wanted to make into SC!!!!! Just click here to donate!".

3rd times `a charm I guess. . .
    I mean it's not like there has been crazy amount of progress on this big scope of a game or anything... Guess non-developers will never understand how big projects work.
    -K