Thread: Old Tank Creed

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhidana View Post
    Assuming that Shamans have a group spot, which sounds rather bold.
    Yeah an ele shaman has cleared 25 in time and i can say you haven't unless you're the 0.0001% which i'll take the bet and say you aren't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    That works fine for the first group. What are you going to do for the next 5 minutes?

Besides, most tanks would simply pull the next group(s) and wait for the wannabe tank to catch up, be overwhelmed and die a horrible death that not even a super duper healer can outheal.

Sadface on shaman.
    If the tank pulls a second pack while we already have a pack he's dead then the group goes WTF tank and disbands end of the m+ run, everyone loses.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    dps sabotaging your own group
    Quoted the only relevant part of your comment.

The source of this motto is DPS players thinking they should decide when to pull the next pack, and most importantly, which pack. Numerous times I have seen DPS rush headfirst into unnecessary packs, simply because their usual brain-afk runs always pull that pack anyway.
    The tank may be waiting for healer mana, replenish their IRL mana by drinking (stay hydrated, guys) or they might've been distracted by something else, like a pet or child. You can't tell whether they will return quickly enough to take over the mobs that the DPS pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    If the tank pulls a second pack while we already have a pack he's dead then the group goes WTF tank and disbands end of the m+ run, everyone loses.
    Especially in M+, the tank pulls, unless you have an agreed strategy/kill order anyway.
    Best case, the tank sees you pulling a pack and takes it over.
    Worst case, the tank doesn't see it, and pulls their actual target pack, so you now have two. Depending on the affixes and level, this can be a certain wipe.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Quoted the only relevant part of your comment.

The source of this motto is DPS players thinking they should decide when to pull the next pack, and most importantly, which pack. Numerous times I have seen DPS rush headfirst into unnecessary packs, simply because their usual brain-afk runs always pull that pack anyway.
    The tank may be waiting for healer mana, replenish their IRL mana by drinking (stay hydrated, guys) or they might've been distracted by something else, like a pet or child. You can't tell whether they will return quickly enough to take over the mobs that the DPS pulled.
    If youre that occupied that you cant even use aoe or taunt then maybe you shouldnt join a dungeon. Not to mention from my experience is that dps/healers tend to only pull when youre a slowass tank.
    Last edited by Nnyco; 2020-01-14 at 04:59 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

If the tank pulls a second pack while we already have a pack he's dead then the group goes WTF tank and disbands
    Pull with Taunt ability, move to elemental, elemental taunts new group, everyone dies.
    end of the m+ run, everyone loses.
    Which is why triggerhappy shamans do not pull. Tank pulls, everyone wins.

If youre that occupied that you cant even use aoe or taunt then maybe you shouldnt join a dungeon. Not to mention from my experience is that dps/healers tend to only pull when youre a slowass tank.
    In M+, maybe. But RL distractions can happen to everyone. Don't deny young parents gameplay.

But for levelling? Screw you. The tank is not your personal slave to carry you through dungeons.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Usual mmo-champion.

"You tank it you pull it" aka "I am bad".

There is only one creed, "Press your god damn buttons in the correct order and i will do the same so we can clear this in a sensible time frame and go back to doing others things, IRL or online".

"You are my sword. I will be your shield", I solemnly declare in vent as a single Cheeto crumb detaches from my beard and settles on my grotesquely distended belly

Tank enters lfg dungeon, rushes and pulls half dungeon, dies, quits...
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

10+ Year Old Account
    Only tank creed i ever heard is, if you pull you tank. Still to this day, unless i am aware of why they are doing it, if someone pulls they magically disappear from my threat plates. Had a mage who was a bit meter obsessed so he would chain pull just to keep going, so he learned he does a lot less damage in Iceblock or dead.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

I still enforce that, even in levelling dungeons. I'll taunt if you focus the wrong mob in a pack, but if you pull, I'll watch.
    ... and have a nice gy run?
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    For me, the golden age of tanking was MoP, in which tanks would keep threat, top the damage charts, AND be responsible for mitigating and healing nearly 100% of damage taken. And no, there has never been a creed of "I am your shield, you are my sword". Only creed has generally been "You pull it you tank it"
    Yes, one of the very few things I loved about MOP was how much fun Brewmaster Tanks were... Well that and the best iteration of Disc Priests ever.

I still enforce that, even in levelling dungeons. I'll taunt if you focus the wrong mob in a pack, but if you pull, I'll watch.
    I usually just kick tanks that do this. If you're pulling so much that the group is wiping and the tank can't gather it all, sure, kick that guy. But if someone pulls in front of you to speed up the run and you afk, say goodbye.

Thankfully i am almost exclusively a tank, so i never run into this weak minded behaviour from tanks.

You are my sword, I will be your shield,
    Never to stop, till our enemies will yield.
    But know that evermore, from this night on,
    The time we shared, our lives were as one.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the entire poem. The previous was just a portion.

Hymns and songs
    Our sacred unity

Brothers and Sisters, we call you all,
    Let us come here together at night fall,
    In this night we tell you that we are one,
    It is a holy bound, that cannot be undone,
    For I vow to fight for your life and mine.
    As we fight together in thei battle line.
    You are my sword, I will be your shield,
    Never to stop, till our enemies will yield.
    But know that evermore, from this night on,
    The time we shared, our lives were as one
    And forever shall we bear in our heart.
    That we fought together in these battles hard.
    For this we bring a song, to share our respect
    to our fellow soldier that we fight to protect
    Let us talk as friends, to remember this night,
    To honour our friendship and unity in the Light

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu/wiki/...s_Of_The_Light

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    Sorry,the only tank creed I know is "You pull it,you tank it".
    The quick way to identify a, likely bad, tank with a fragile ego.

- - - Updated - - -

In M+, maybe. But RL distractions can happen to everyone. Don't deny young parents gameplay.

But for levelling? Screw you. The tank is not your personal slave to carry you through dungeons.
    If the DPS feel they need to pull to finish the dungeon this century, the tank isn't carrying shit.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Slave? No. But the tank needs to do their job too. Meaning, get the group through the dungeon. If someone else in the group besides the tank feels the need to pull ahead, it means the tank is going slow.

I've only ever run in to a few idiot try hards that pull ahead of the tank on purpose trying to speed things up and end up screwing things up. In my experience in most cases, when this happens, it's an experienced DPS (or even healer) pulling more because they know the group can handle it.

In the years I've been playing I can honestly count on one hand where an asshat DPS or Healer pulls ahead of the tank that ends up in a wipe or really bad situation. Most times the group ended up fine, and the tank and/or healer learned they could handle more than they thought they could which is a win/win for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    The quick way to identify a, likely bad, tank with a fragile ego.

If the DPS feel they need to pull to finish the dungeon this century, the tank isn't carrying shit.
    While not entirely true (as the group mostly wouldn't function without a proper tank), I agree with this sentiment. If someone else in the group feels like the tank isn't doing their job, the tank is not leading the charge (so to speak) and carrying anyone....they're being pulled alongside the rest of the group or thrown into the places the rest of the group wants them to be. It is a group effort.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only tanks i see that say that are usually the ones with small ego trying to feel strong once in their life.
    Otherwise you just waste time killing off dps sabotaging your own group, when all you had todo was press a button that isnt on even on gcd to get agro and i say that as someone who tanks for many years.
    I sit somewhere in the middle tbh.

DPS really need to leaving the pulling to the tank. It's basic courtesy and also generally the most expedient way to finish the content quickly and hassle free. That being said, people do make mistakes, and punishing every dps for making a slip up is not helpful. But when it happens more than once, I am going to ask the guilty DPS to let me pull - politely of course. If they fail to heed the warning, well, then I am not going to be particularly bothered if it gets them killed.

I play casual content (which is what group finder is) to have fun, not get stressed out by some random idiot who wants me to go a pace I am not comfortable with. While I agree that sometimes just doing what is necessary to finish the dungeon is the best way to go, but at the same time, when we keep going out of our way to accomodate shitty players who have zero courtesy, that simply reinforces the behaviour. Most players don't need to be told to be courteous, but some need to learn the hard way or they'll never change, and that just means more suffering for the rest of us.

If rushing the instance is that important to the person, they can either roll a tank, or group with friends/guildies. And if dps really believes that the tank is pulling significantly slower than is necessary, then the appropriate way to address is to politely suggest that the rest of the group is comfortable with bigger pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Only tank creed i ever heard is, if you pull you tank. Still to this day, unless i am aware of why they are doing it, if someone pulls they magically disappear from my threat plates. Had a mage who was a bit meter obsessed so he would chain pull just to keep going, so he learned he does a lot less damage in Iceblock or dead.
    I really don't understand why this is necessary. If the you can tank it, and the healer and DPS can handle it...I don't see the problem with the group moving faster. If people die because this kind of stuff happens and the pull goes awry I understand...but just getting butthurt because someone other than YOU, the tank, pulled and letting them die over it? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Never in the 15 years of tanking have I heard other than "you pull it, you tank it"
    Really? I love it when someone pulls before I do and just let them die. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside when someone is retarded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I really don't understand why this is necessary. If the you can tank it, and the healer and DPS can handle it...I don't see the problem with the group moving faster. If people die because this kind of stuff happens and the pull goes awry I understand...but just getting butthurt because someone other than YOU, the tank, pulled and letting them die over it? Why?
    It just depends, modern WoW that doesn't happen too often, in classic though. mmmmmm like fine wine lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by brighthammer View Post
    Years ago, when tanks fought for threat and times were good, there was a creed someone thought up. I can only remember part of it and it's bugging me: "I am their shield... they are my sword." I know there's more, but I can't remember more or where it came from. (I actually got more use out of "If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault, if the healer dies, it's the tank's fault, if the dps die, it's their own damn fault.")

If anyone can point me in the right direction to the rest of this creed from the Golden Age (for me, at least) of tanking, I would really appreciate it.
    The time you describe never existed. Creed? Don't make a game into something it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    Sorry,the only tank creed I know is "You pull it,you tank it".
    Yeap, this is the only Tank Creed I've heard of, "You pull it, you Tank it."