Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Corruption, good concept, bad implementation

Hi guys!

I wanted to talk about corruption, but please, not in a "Kill those guys, bad shit" way, but on what do we see good about it, bad about it, and what would you guys improve.

I'm going first ofc and I want to divide what I would do with corruption right now on two levels, the first one is a middle ground on what I really want and how blizzard does things and wants things with RNG and stuff, the second one is what I would want.

--On the middle ground, RNG is something that blizzard wants but they don't know how to give players some agency, cleansing the corrup items don't give us agency. What would I do if I want RNG but at least a little agency for the player?

Well, every piece, at the time of being looted could be corrupted, but, wrathion has encountered something that can control to some degree the corruption, and using some mementos we can corrupt a normal item, now I have some ideas about this step of us corrupting our normal gear:

1)We could have limited times to corrupt an item, 2 chances (you get your normal gloves you corrupt them, you don't like what you got, cleanse and corrupt, you still don't like it, cleanse and use that gear or sell it disenchant)

2)Same as one, but instead of you can't corrupt this item anymore, you can still try it, but weekly or bi-weekly, with this you can keep those non-corrupted BIS gloves until you have BIS corruption or not.

I like both options and I would have been ok with this, because every item you loot could be corrupted, and you could decide what slots you want corrupted and actually have 2 chances per item looted to seek for that corrupted affix you want, some agency for us, some RNG for blizzard.

--About what I would have done and want... damn, I would have made all the system craftable, you do your content, you get stuff, you use that stuff to put a corrupted affix of your choice on your item, that would be T1, and then you could upgrade the tier of that corrupted item 2 more times, easy and full player agency on how they want they corrupted affix and what slots. And to give some old god patch flavor, the items you craft corruption on can't be cleansed, there, you have to make choices.

I actually love the concept of the corrupted items, you gain something good but it comes with something bad you can control to a certain degree, the more you have, the more you will have to be careful while doing content, the more skill you have the more corruption you can take. But the way you get them, is awful.

For the ones that could read all of this and also have ideas bring them in! who knows if we give blizzard some ideas for shadowlands since they said that it would have a similar system (yes they read even this mass hatred forum)
    Last edited by eduwneso; 2020-01-29 at 03:46 PM.

It is doing what it is designed to do. People that cannot put something down without getting the ultimate continue to sub and pay. An endless grind more or less. It boils down to "we hear you on the endless AP stuff... so.. we will tone it down.. (but move it over here to endless hope for drops on this stuff, kkthx)

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    It is doing what it is designed to do. People that cannot put something down without getting the ultimate continue to sub and pay. An endless grind more or less. It boils down to "we hear you on the endless AP stuff... so.. we will tone it down.. (but move it over here to endless hope for drops on this stuff, kkthx)
    it's not what I wanted to talk about here, but you are right, people can't stop until they have the absolute best, well I don't have that problem, and I doing oookay, for me it's more frustating not having more corrupted gear because I can't test stuff and have fun with it, not because I don't have my absolute BIS

5+ Year Old Account
    It's an interesting concept, and thematically appropriate. But, like many things in 8.3, it's really half assed.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eduwneso View Post
    it's not what I wanted to talk about here, but you are right, people can't stop until they have the absolute best, well I don't have that problem, and I doing oookay, for me it's more frustating not having more corrupted gear because I can't test stuff and have fun with it, not because I don't have my absolute BIS
    Plenty of people enjoy the game without the absolute best. The rest leave when they're done. This communal meta that you can't be anything but shit until you're in the best gear is a problem for the game. I think Blizzard encourages it in ways. They should stop.

Theoretically, I like the idea behind corruption but in practice it's not 'fun' to my mind. I don't know that it ever could be fun as such unless it were framed better. For now, it's a mechanic and I'm already way down on the game for over-engineering everything and that includes mechanics that exist but aren't implemented in an interesting way. For those that play the game just to relax, it's not an attractive idea.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2020-01-29 at 11:19 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Decent idea, and there's plenty of room for different ways to hamstring a player who has too much corruption. Don't be surprised if this give / take element manifests itself in gear choices down the road.

On a personal note, I don't care at all for how they want you to generate resistance. It's unfair to some classes, and some specs have an easier time dealing with HV's, but that's the nature of things.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Plenty of people enjoy the game without the absolute best. The rest leave when they're done. This communal meta that you can't be anything but shit until you're in the best gear is a problem for the game. I think Blizzard encourages it in ways. They should stop.
    That is 100% playerbase driven, Blizzard has released 0 content that can't be beaten without having BIS.

They could replace corruption with a stat named "glass cannon". If you stack glass cannon points, you do way more damage but your HP approaches 1.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Yeah, as I expected everyone it's ok with the concept of corruption, but it seems that BFA main problem attacks again, implementation of concepts/ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The RNG is the only issue for me and it's a big one. There was absolutely no reason to have SO MANY effects. If they just kept the pool limited to the more interesting effects it would have been far more fun.
    The mechanic is thematically appropriate and the good effects are brilliant (though too powerful).
    I don't know why blizzard would made it so difficult to get corrupted items, as far as the patch goes and I've done plenty of M+ and more stuff, I've only seen 4 corrupted items, and with the pool of effects we have.... If only you could corrupt on your own your normal items, and maybe give them 2 chances at trying to get what you want, it would be better, because you can't have that much bad luck that after trying 2 times to corrupt 12 different items you won't get what you want, and also, you can't have corrupted in every slot, 2 maybe 3 so you only have to look for that 2 or 3

the system where 415 item can add 1000dps+ more than 475 is just wrong. By any means.

The excellent thing about corrupted gear - is that it REMOVES the RNG if you want.
    You only have to live with the RNG if you choose to.

So my new 465 off hand with corruption is an upgrade without corruption if I want, and an upgrade with corruption if I want.

What could be better ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kappalol View Post
    the system where 415 item can add 1000dps+ more than 475 is just wrong. By any means.
    Reference please ? What item is this ?

What people forget is that corruption is in effect an ilvl upgrade with an attached -ilvl.

A 415 that proc'ed to 445 would be as good as a 445.
    A 415 that proc's with a +30 effective corruption effect is as good as a 445 - once your cape is up and running.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

Theoretically, I like the idea behind corruption but in practice it's not 'fun' to my mind. I don't know that it ever could be fun as such unless it were framed better. For now, it's a mechanic and I'm already way down on the game for over-engineering everything and that includes mechanics that exist but aren't implemented in an interesting way. For those that play the game just to relax, it's not an attractive idea.
    I didn't feel like that with TF for example, but with corrupted being so over-powered I'm starting to enter in that stage.
    I'm a fury warrior and In my raid there is another one and I have 12-15 more ilvl. The thing is, In every try I had 8-10k more dps than him, then, he looted a corrupted ring with T3 echo void, with just that in more than one try he has more dps than me.

That is stupid, pure rng, he has the luck, gains 10k dps, I've been working my ass off with my fury, I love my fury and then just because rng and a corrupted trait someone worse than me can outdps me. I'm in I WANT THAT TRAIT RIGHT NOW mode and farming everything hahahaha

I don't know why blizzard would made it so difficult to get corrupted items

This is my primary complaint. I did about 20ish keys last week and only saw about 2-3 corrupted pieces drop, total, across my entire 5 man team. Corrupted items should be far, far more common.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    The excellent thing about corrupted gear - is that it REMOVES the RNG if you want.
    You only have to live with the RNG if you choose to.

So my new 465 off hand with corruption is an upgrade without corruption if I want, and an upgrade with corruption if I want.

What could be better ?

- - - Updated - - -

Reference please ? What item is this ?

What people forget is that corruption is in effect an ilvl upgrade with an attached -ilvl.

A 415 that proc'ed to 445 would be as good as a 445.
    A 415 that proc's with a +30 effective corruption effect is as good as a 445 - once your cape is up and running.
    he is talking about over powered traits, like T3 ritual as I said just now, it gives you an insane amount of damage, is an rng you can't ignore if you in my case, do raiding.

Something that can give you easy 8-10k DPS just by having it on a piece.... it's worth more than just 30ilvl, this is not the benthic boots is worse, because as a dps obviously you WANT those sweet easy 8-10k dps.

I mean, it's not I don't know a 1k difference in a talent everyone says is shit but you still want to use it because it's fun, minmax 1k dps if you are not a hardcore mythic is stupid, play what's fun, but if you still want to raid, in a not hardcore way, you still need to do some dps, and as I said, that much DPS just from a corrupted proc that is super RNG is a mistake from blizzard, specially if it's hard to get corrupted items, or at least it is for me, doing all kind of content looting and only saw 3 corrupted items

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toby451 View Post
    This is my primary complaint. I did about 20ish keys last week and only saw about 2-3 corrupted pieces drop, total, across my entire 5 man team. Corrupted items should be far, far more common.
    +1 here, I'm hoping it was because Mythic was not open yet and yadda yadda, so I'm going to try again this weekend
    Last edited by eduwneso; 2020-01-30 at 08:57 AM.

is an rng you can't ignore if you in my case
    Of course you can ignore it .... just like I can ignore the RNG of a specific trinket not dropping.

Of course - this assumes were are talking about a GAME.

If you are talking about a JOB, then that's a different issue - and that isn't an issue of something designed to be a GAME.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I really really dislike the rng part of the negative effect. I know it makes for more interesting effects but I would much rather have something like "You take 2% more damage" That a random slow always proccing at the **right** time, just as I have to walk out of bad stuff.

Also as a healer main it is often frustrating having to deal with corruption on my co-raiders and fix it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    It's an interesting concept, and thematically appropriate. But, like many things in 8.3, it's really half assed.
    to be fair, its not only 8.3, "good concept, bad implementation" could be blizzards motto

I feel this is legiondaries all over again and maybe worse.... I was one of the people with the bad luck that my best legendaries were the last to drop so... te-he, I hate that system

I have 4 characters I am playing, all have the same corruption gear, the one you get for doing the quest. No other have dropped so zero clue what the system is like cause of rng, would love to get into it but ya rng said nope wait longer....

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    to be fair, its not only 8.3, "good concept, bad implementation" could be blizzards motto
    yeah, I'm a self proclaimed blizz fan-boy but I'm not blind, BFA main problem has been "good concept, bad implementation"