Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    just ask around on reddit, discord and whatever. generally you get some helpful advice. wouldnt ask around here though

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunkey explains it best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Basically. You could always count on John Bain to give a completely honest review of anything, because he was utterly unafraid to call out anyone on their bullshit.

He would absolutely shred both retail and vanilla.
    Yes he would, even thou millions of people love the games, and can`t stop paying for them.
    Seriously - he was biased as fck - just like everyone else with a heartbeat and an opinion.

Here's what an objective review looks like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    All I can think of is RIP Totalbiscuit.
    And, on that note, allow me to point people towards SidAlpha; a very TB-esqe reviewer.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Look at multiple sources. Then use that information to make up your own mind.

Can't trust anyone.

You'll have a very hard time finding one that isn't biased.

Every review is biaised because it's an opinion.

I think you are using the wrong word, unbiased doesent exist. More like consistent informative and fair reviews. A good reviewer can not like a genre or a game, but know if its well made piece that might not be for them and judge it fairly. Bigger sites hardly have those now, a lot of them hire crack pot people that failed to become real journalist out of school so are preteting to be journalist while reviewing games. This game shocked me so bad -2 points! Too many new water pokemon in the pokemon game based on an island - 1 points! Lots of reviews on bigger sites sounds like it would be parody reviews, but people are paid for them somehow. The score itself hardly ever matter anyway, the text does.

As for edge and his funny jokes that theres no paid reviews. Lmao right, 2019, IGN plastered with EA sports adds, NFL 2019, a game with even less content then NFL 2018, 9.5/10. Theres plently of paid reviews. People arent dumb enough to make ALL of them paid reviews for all the games. They still know they have to keep some kind of semblance of inpedendence to be relevent and blatlan stuff like Fallout 76 and Anthem cant be paid reviewed, because they are so shit and non functional at launch that it would be downright impossible to even defend. You honestly also think publisher dont know how broken and bad the stuff they greenlight to release is? Of course they know, they just have to bet on the name, hype, be there for the initial release then at least they dont lose money on a failed project.

Publishers literally fly reviewers to LA to play their shit and make big party and such for them. Imaging if the city councils flew to parties made by contractors that want contracts with the city. Oh wait when they do its called bribery lmao. When ever these bribes work every time or not is irrelents, they take bribes all the time. Some have been banned from these bribes.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2020-01-30 at 12:04 PM.

ACG has a pretty good information to distracting bullshit ratio. I usually know wether or not I want to play something after I watched his review, even if it's not always what he thinks.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post
    People shit on IGN, gamespot, pc, metacritic, pcgamer etc
    Just type the game you are interested into youtube what watch the various people's opinions on it. The key I believe is to listen to what they don't like and why. If they report the game crashes constantly, many graphical bugs, broken missions\quests That is pretty important. If it's things like, they made the buttons blue and I hate blue or I hate the reload speeds of weapon X, you may choose to ignore those complaints.

Whether it's movies, games, food The goal is to try and find someone that is the closest match to own your likes and dislikes. Just know some of, if not many reviewers are going to employ shock jock styles opinions to get viewership up and keep people watching

Just find a site that provides enough information for you to come up with your own opinion. They're all going to be biased. And look at multiple sites, never rely on just one.

I've always felt IGN has done pretty well providing good information about the game, enough for me to make my own decision about it. They're clearly biased in some of the reviews though but they usually provide plenty of information about the game systems, game play, etc... so you can decide whether it looks like something you'd enjoy playing or not.

unpopular opinion:

i think mainstream game reviews are pretty accurate and fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    unpopular opinion:

Watch this video and lets see how you feel about mainstream game reviews.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paid reviews are literally useless and any critic is a paid retard, what you're looking for is USER reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Watch this video and lets see how you feel about mainstream game reviews.
    Good lord. Outlets are not hive-minds, and the score a reviewer (who may be a freelancer and not even on-staff) gives a game doesn't speak for the entirety of the websites editorial team. Also, not all editorial staff review, plenty are focused on news, features, and other areas and will never post a critical review score but still have opinions.

They can also have personal opinions that don't jive with what the critical reception is.

It's these kinds of videos that make me usually dismiss the "REVIEWERS ARE ALL BIASED AND BAD AND DUMB!" crowd, because it speaks more to the ignorance of those sharing those sentiments than it does the editorial staff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Paid reviews are literally useless, what you're looking for is USER reviews.
    Those don't exist. The closest that exists to that is sponsored streamer content.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    unpopular opinion:

They are fine, just some person's opinion. The fact people try to disprove them by linking to some youtuber, which is also just some person's opinion is hypocrisy beyond hope. They try to argue they are employees of insert company and are pressured into scores, by that same token youtubers live or die off of clicks and if you think that isn't factored into their "reviews" well... again beyond hope.

If anything mainstream sites are more accurate because the super AAAAAAAA game with a massively cool press kit sent to your studio that they claim "pressures" people is rare and far between, where as youtubers have to factor in views for any damn game they review from tiny indy shit to anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Those don't exist. The closest that exists to that is sponsored streamer content.
    How high are you? A review doesn't require some professionalism just honesty.

Try steam, reddit, or idk this place called mmo-champion where the users are brutally honest and review shit all the time

There's no such thing as an unbiased review for this kind of thing. Unless you want someone only talking about technical specs or some shit.

I tend to listen to general opinion rather than the opinion of 1 reviewer. Steam's system of voters voting on games for example, or Reddit. In the end, I'll always have to make up my own mind and sometimes I've found that I didn't agree with unfavorable opinions, other times that I didn't agree with favorable ones.