Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticDreamer View Post
    If they need to state crucial information like that in dev posts, that's terrible writing IMO.
    It's really their own mess, in Classic, they basically stated: "Yeah, C'thun is dead, you killed some super power ancient being, gratz".
    Blizzard also explained the Old gods imprisonment with the Titans that killing them would be too dangerous.
    Then in Wotlk / Cata they started to throw curveball(s) with "They are outside the cycle", implying we are unable to truly kill them.
    Deathwing, who has been empowered by the Old Gods, required DBZ Alphapowers to be annihilated out of existance, further supporting the theory from above.
    Then came MoP with "Yeah, Y'shaarj got axe'd by some Mogu" (only to be retconned to Aman'thul himself killing him).
    Then chronicle V1 came out and they basically went "Yeah, Old gods are just super massive void ticks".

The Old God lore is probably a good example that Blizzard lacks any sort of "lore bible" which they actually stick to that all presented plotpoints revealed over the course of multiple years still form a cohesive plot.

Fun fact, during the 4.1 PTR there was actually some early questchain in Silithus that C'thun actually returned, with his Eye spawning over Cenarion Hold.

they are alive if blizz wants them alive:
    https://www.wowhead.com/news=296046/...user-and-r-wow
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Lorewise false. They are both very much alive, Yogg even makes a pseudo appearance in the BFA prepatch quest chain when you get sent to Ulduar with Magni and Brann summoning faceless with his iconic green mist.

Now to the OP if I had to guess, since Mythic phase isn't known yet and we know that Mythic is the only canon lore as said by Blizzard, I'd currently like to think that N'zoth wins and we actually die and that's how we end up in the Shadowlands in the first place to carry over into the next expansion. With the following expansion being a world revamp for old gods where N'zoth actually controls the world. Maybe a time skip or even WoW getting rebuilt on a new engine to make a carry over "WoW2" in a sense. This is what I hope anyway, I don't think it's likely, I just don't want to believe that Blizzard ruined the Warcraft franchise in under a month with 8.3 and Reforged.
    1. That was the Legion Pre-Patch questline.

And 2. Blizz confirmed that they're dead, though they MIGHT return in some way VIA their afterlife.

Quote Originally Posted by jam52090 View Post
    They also said BfA isn't an old god expansion.
    No, they never did.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    This is the only thing I believe. It happens if Blizzard wants it. And hell, since they rip off Tolien and Lovecraft etc..what stops them to go beyond? There could be "Elder Things" or "Great old ones" or whatnot beyond everything that "suddenly get discovered"
    You got the meat and potatoes of it there son.

Our next xpac is already about the afterlife, and I don't think it's stretching too much for us to have some wild shenanigans with the Old Gods we've beaten, whether they are considered dead or just dormant. Most of them have some ability to affect the world from their prisons, from their dreams, from alternate universes, etc.

I can only hope that we get to see Yshaarj all put back together, and possibly discover that he's part of the Maw.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    So one patch makes it an old god x-pac? I guess then WotLK was really a Titan x-pac. But yeah...WoD also was the Selfie x-pac and TBC the Voice chat x-pac ^^
    This has absolutely been an Old God expansion. 8.0 had K'Thir and other assorted tentacles in Stormsong, a herald of N'Zoth, and G'Huun the Old God. 8.1 had Crucible of Storms, which took place inside N'Zoth. 8.2 had us slaying minions of N'Zoth and freeing him, and all this built up to 8.3 where we finally killed him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no definitive state of the Old Gods when discussed on this forum. Some say dead other say dealt with but alive in some form. Honestly the way Blizzard is going with it, I assume they are "alive" but they aren't going to be a threat for now. Blizzard loves to tease.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Linuriel View Post
    They are dead.

Source.
    Literally a blue post last week saying BFA isn't an old god expansion and they will never create an old god expansion.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

To be honest, old gods are alive and dead because Blizz has changed that sooooo many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Literally a blue post last week saying BFA isn't an old god expansion and they will never create an old god expansion.
    Link the source.

Link the source.
    It was an interview with Steve Danuser. He said basically that N’zoth and the Old Gods were always meant to be used in small doses and centering an entire expansion around them would cheapen the whole eldritch horror theme from over exposure

He then goes on to elaborate that the Old God story is basically over and they are moving towards the Void and the other cosmic forces taking the forefront of the story with the Shadowlands and beyond

Source
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2020-02-01 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    It was an interview with Steve Danuser. He said basically that N’zoth and the Old Gods were always meant to be used in small doses and centering an entire expansion around them would cheapen the whole eldritch horror theme from over exposure

He then goes on to elaborate that the Old God story is basically over and they are moving towards the Void and the other cosmic forces taking the forefront of the story with the Shadowlands and beyond
    First it was a blue post.

Now it was an interview.

Post the source.

- - - Updated - - -

That is not what the guy I quoted said. He said that Blizzard said that BFA isn't an old god expansion.

First it was a blue post.

Now it was an interview.

Post the source.

- - - Updated - - -

That is not what the guy I quoted said. He said that Blizzard said that BFA isn't an old god expansion.
    I’m not aware of them ever claiming BfA isn’t an Old God expansion. However the 2nd part of his post said Blizzard would never make an Old God expansion. To which is supported by the interview I linked from Polygon

I’m not aware of them ever claiming BfA isn’t an Old God expansion. However the 2nd part of his post said Blizzard would never make an Old God expansion. To which is supported by the interview I linked from Polygon
    Process what you wrote for a second. If BFA is an Old God expansion (and it is), then Blizzard has already made an Old God expansion.

And besides, the only reason they said in that interview, that N'zoth was never meant to have its own expansion, is because they wanna justify the shit that 8.3 is.

"It was always meant to be that way".

What they say means nothing. It's just damage control.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Ah so there are no more giant Cthulu monsters with their tentacles wrapped around Azeroth? Nice!
    Well, they aren't actively trying to molest her anymore. But their bodies are still present, and even a dead god can dream. I'd wager their presence still lingers and has an influence, enough to sometimes create trouble like in the Legion pre-patch quest in Ulduar but not enough to be a real threat to the planet.

It may be that an elaborate and powerful enough ritual can resurrect them, since Cho'gall came close to bringing C'thun back. In fact I thought that's what would happen at the tail end of BFA. But for now, yes, every Old God is dead, albeit some may be deader than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    They said that we are just like antibodys aka very precise striking at the right thing (their brain) instead of what the titans did and just ripped them out in 1 go.

And yes they´re all dead, that was stated multiple times again and again bcs someone can´t accept that they´re dead bcs of their headcanon.
    I mean tbh,they fucked up writing eldritch horrors several times,so it's no wonder people just don't want to accept them being done that poorly

Process what you wrote for a second. If BFA is an Old God expansion (and it is), then Blizzard has already made an Old God expansion.

And besides, the only reason they said in that interview, that N'zoth was never meant to have its own expansion, is because they wanna justify the shit that 8.3 is.

"It was always meant to be that way".

What they say means nothing. It's just damage control.
    So basically you asked for evidence just to stick your fingers in your ears and continue with your own assumptions. Gotcha and ignored

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Lorewise false. They are both very much alive, Yogg even makes a pseudo appearance in the BFA prepatch quest chain when you get sent to Ulduar with Magni and Brann summoning faceless with his iconic green mist.
    You are wrong. They've been stated dead plenty of times. And you have misinterpreted Yogg-Saron's cameo in BfA. Mind you, that's Blizzard's fault for not making it clear. When Old Gods die on Azeroth, their presence lingers. They continue to seed madness and whispers and spawn echoes. We've seen that most significantly in Y'shaarj, whose echoes were the Sha. But the mobs that attack you in the Uldual Scenario are called "Saronite Echoes". This isn't Yogg-Saron alive and consciously acting. This is Yogg-Saron being dead like Y'Shaarj was. He even told us this would happen, in his final words.

"Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh." ("The shadow of my corpse will choke this land for all eternity.")

On topic, I don't think the Titans can be blamed much for the actions they took. Unlike us, the Titans knew nothing about the Old Gods. We get to benefit from hindsight and lore resources. To the Titans, the Old Gods were new. They tried to kill one, and it ended up almost killing Azeroth and left a large land tainted. Killing one created an incredible disaster and left Azeroth gravely wounded. You can't take further risks, now that you're dealing with a world in that state. Sealing away both the gods and their corruption makes a lot of sense from that perspective. They didn't give up on finding how best to kill them either, but their efforts in Uldir, just spawned yet more horror. They did leave the facility running less radical research to find a cure, but they couldn't stay here forever to wait for the results of that research.

And yeah, in hindsight, thinking they could imprison the Old Gods forever, was perhaps naïve. But again, they don't know anything about these creatures, and they did leave a ton of safeguards. And if not for Sargeras killing their original bodies, they would have likely been checking in from time to time.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2020-02-01 at 07:46 PM.

So basically you asked for evidence just to stick your fingers in your ears and continue with your own assumptions. Gotcha and ignored
    I asked for evidence that Blizzard said that BFA isn't an Old God expansion, and there is none. BFA is clearly heavily Old God themed. The first boss of the first raid is an Old God. Stormsong Valley and the dungeon there are Old God themed. The second raid tier with Azshara and Nazjatar has us accidentally free N'zoth. And 8.3, the final patch of the expansion is a full blown Old God patch where we get invaded by N'zoth's minions and then go to Ny'alotha and kill N'zoth.

This expansion wasn't all about Old Gods, but neither was Legion all about demons.

This is clearly an Old God expansion and Blizzard never denied that it is. They are merely addressing the disappointment of players at N'zoth having such a minor role in the context of having had a 10-year-build-up and then being defeated in such an anticlimactic way.
    Last edited by Linuriel; 2020-02-01 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post

Fun fact, during the 4.1 PTR there was actually some early questchain in Silithus that C'thun actually returned, with his Eye spawning over Cenarion Hold.

Man I thought I had imagined this for years.