Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Sure. But the idea of what's "good" is extremely subjective, especially in games with a devoted fandom. I found the Lorewalkers a great idea in MoP, and I'd like to see that type of reputation again to expand the lore in a new, unexplored area. Other people might have found it tedious or a waste of time. I thought the Allied Races were fun, but could have been a bit more fun/unique - plenty of people did not, with plenty of MMO-C posters alone demanding that Blizzard "delete Vulpera" and such. I don't mind pathfinder to get flying, while other people either don't want flying at all, or they want to simply be able to buy flying like the old days. I generally liked how most classes played in Legion and BfA, but other people prefer how classes were in older expansions.

Every expansion has had pros and cons. Every bad expansion has had a couple things that people generally liked, and every good expansion has had flaws. The balance comes with listening to players in many regards. The expansions that have been remembered well followed that rule - mass complaints about issues were addressed and changed to be more fun or fair to players. On the other side, there have been expansions that have had flaws from the get-go that were never changed or expanded on, so it remained a problem for players the entire time (like issues with garrisons, Warfronts, island expedition loot, Legion legendaries, Heart of Azeroth/essences, etc).

So, yeah, Blizzard could write a compelling, new story in an expansion that's fun to play. They have 15+ years of experience and feedback to fall back on. However, there have been many times that they've simply stuck to their guns about things that are mostly failures. It's possible BfA could, ironically, open their eyes and see what went wrong. Or, it could entrench them further into systems and stories that haven't worked, out of sheer stubbornness.
    Last edited by Destinas; 2020-02-03 at 11:46 PM.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

I might hate the recent Blizzard decisions and the fact that Activision controls Blizzard despite the latter making more money than Activision, it would take a lot more mistakes for them to completely turn me against my beloved company which granted me so many great games and franchises.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly Shadowlands will be the true test. If the every other expansion things holds true this one should be but I really don't know. I enjoy BfA despite it's issues but the last expansion I was in love with was MoP and that came out almost a decade ago. I liked things in Legion but nothing has hit the highs of MoP for me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Honestly Shadowlands will be the true test. If the every other expansion things holds true this one should be but I really don't know. I enjoy BfA despite it's issues but the last expansion I was in love with was MoP and that came out almost a decade ago. I liked things in Legion but nothing has hit the highs of MoP for me yet.
    I don't think they can ever recapture the feeling of mop classes again unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    If you didn't like Legion then there's little hope you are going to enjoy anything they put out in the future.

This. BFA has a lot of issues, WOD was a trash fire, but if you don’t like Legion you aren’t a WoW fan any more. That was their best effort, and if that wasn’t good enough, it’s time to find another game or hobby.

To be clear: it’s ok to not like legion, that’s a valid perspective, it just also likely means that the limitations of this game won’t produce something you like any time soon.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well that was a medium post. It wasn't rare and it certainly wasn't well done.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Not really. The last three expansions were either extremely mediocre (WoD) or shit (Legion, BfA). The lore keeps getting raped to a point of no return, classes are at an all time low, PvP got gutted (and they didn't respond to community feedback), itemization is horrible and basically every new feature they've introduced doesn't interest me in the slightest (maybe except for the mage tower but that was a one time thing).

I thought they understood with Legion, but they didn't. BfA is worse than WoD (because they had the chance to learn from WoD but didnt). I dont think they are able to produce another good expansion. Will still try Shadowlands tho, at least for leveling it will most likely be fun and worth its money.

Unless Shadowlands turns out to be like warlords I think it will be OK I mean the re-introduction of titan forging would definitely scare me

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    My hardcore wow days are over with wife and work and all but I did and would pre-order anything that has blizzard name on it.
    Tomorrow Blizzard can put a box of shit on their store setting a release date 10 months. I would pre-order it as I know it will be good quality shit.
    2018-02-02 This is me saying this. At this point my disappointment with blizz and with myself is over 9000.
    didn't buy wc:r

I think they can make a x.0 box sale that can be pretty solid. I do not think they have the talent or capacity to properly and satisfactorily support it after that in updates. The big problem is the company suffered massive brain drain and the new leads are 'self professed mobile only gamers' who clearly take ideas for mechanics from mobile games and not rpgs anymore and that just doesn't work for a sub game with persistent content unless you have a easily influenced habit forming personality and that just doesn't really apply when the content seems largely based on "they'll roll on alt its fine".

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Legion was fantastic. WoD was a turd. Turns out when you remove Legendaries and you frontload Azerite traits there isn't reason to do anything other than whatever the highest level content you can do is and the replayability of the game goes into the shitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    Legion had a lot of huge problems.

Legiondaries, M+ grind, AP grind, titanforging, world quest grind. These systems are terrible.
    Legendaries were fine after the first tier. By the time nighthold progression was going on for average Mythic guilds you should have had all your spec legendaries, by ToS you should have had all your offspec ones as well. Titanforging was never a real issue. Getting one decent item per tier on average from normal and two from Heroic didn't break anything. The only valid complaint in there was the AP grind. Legion was a great expansion.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

got nothing to lose on hoping for the best. If it fails, it fails. Nothing more we can do about it. If its good, you play another couple of years til the next again

No becauyse Blizzard is no longer Blizzard. Employee morale sucks , they dont care about quality etc
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

I'll probably play Shadowlands to see if this A & B team myth really holds up.
    If Shadowlands turns out really good it's basically guaranteed that the next expansion is gonna be absolute horseshit, so I won't be playing that.
    If Shadowlands turns out really bad I'm just done with the franchise as a whole because these guys have proven their absolute ineptitude at this point.
    Basically a win win, ez.

On a more serious note, gonna be super skeptical about alpha/beta stuff this time around, if I'm not absolutely convinced that it's not gonna turn into another 24 month perma 24/7 rng fest timegated grind I'm out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ano2024 View Post
    With all the recent fiascos, I do admire those who still have faith.

Personally, I lost all faith before BfA even started. For some foolish reason I had preordered the game. But then I saw how shit BfA was in beta, and I wanted to cancel my preorder. But it was too late, since I had made an allied race. But no biggie, right? The game will release and it will all be fine, just have faith, it's only beta.

BfA was a truly horrible fiasco. I think people see Legion as good only because of how bad BfA was. Legion was bad, it introduced many of the horrible systems of BfA, but Bfa was on a whole other level of horrible.
    Isn't that like asking 'So when did you stop beating your wife and kids?'

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Globi View Post
    Legion was a good expansion

MOP was a good expansion

So, Shadowland'll be a good expansion

It's the prophecy
    Yeah Im going to have to disagree with you about MOP and Legion. Personally, I think they were both turds. MOP with its constant time gating, and then Legion with the time gate and the wonderful addition of rep grinds...

Quote Originally Posted by Globi View Post
    Legion was a good expansion

MOP was a good expansion

So, Shadowland'll be a good expansion

It's the prophecy
    The see saw method.

Stood in the Fire october breeze's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they do. But I don't expect much. I am not subbed for almost 1.5 years. The more you stay away from WoW, the more you realize that they have lost the track. They don't what they are doing and where they are going.

SL preview was pretty disappointing and looked more of a BFA 2.0. Same writers, similar bloated systems, same scummy MAU tactics.