Poll: What was your favorite Oscars moment?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What was your favorite Oscars moment?

So the 92nd Academy Awards show came and gone. Did you watch? If so, what was your favorite moment?

3+ Year Old Account
    Haven't watched but I heard Parasite won something big so that's a good thing.

EDIT: I just watched some highlights videos. Parasite won 4 Oscars including best picture and making history for being the first foreign language film to get that. So yeah, that's my pick.
    Last edited by CrawlFromThePit; 2020-02-10 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post

EDIT: I just watched some highlights videos. Parasite won 4 Oscars including best picture and making history for being the first foreign language film to get that. So yeah, that's my pick.
    It did, yeah, Best Picture and Best International Film. It made history. I wasn't sure how many people knew about the movie so I didn't even list it in the poll. lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post

Parasite won the oscar for the best film and that´s a novum bcs never before a non english speaking fim won that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    It did, yeah, Best Picture and Best International Film. It made history. I wasn't sure how many people knew about the movie so I didn't even list it in the poll. lol
    ??? If they followed the Oscars I'm fairly sure they know which film won biggest award

My favourite part was when Axe not only made a noise but had a marvellous singing voice. It was obviously overdubbed and all, but was funny and fit in with the flow and tongue in cheek nature of the movie.

I chose to watch Playing With Fire with the kids and then log into WoW instead of watching the Oscars.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    ??? If they followed the Oscars I'm fairly sure they know which film won biggest award
    True. Though TBH, I follow The Oscars and I didn't know about Parasite until last night, and I'm still not likely to see it. I just watched it for the jokes and to see if Phoenix would win Best Actor. I don't even recall who won Best Actress. Eminem's performance was a nice surprise and woke the place up.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    He means he wasn't sure if people knew about the movie before hearing about it at the Oscars. Most people won't really get excited by seeing a film they don't even know win an Oscar so the chances of that being their best moment is kinda small.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    #freethebeef
    If that ever catches traction, I'm going to advocate against eating seafood.

#fishhavefeelingstoo

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Renee Zellweger won best actress.
    Oh yeah! The chick from Me, Myself & Irene. Loved it when Jim Carrey said her face looks like she's been sucking on a lemon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always seen the Oscars as a shining example of the movie industry sniffing it's own farts, especially when it comes to anything outside of the mainstream (with few exceptions) that would be perceived as "Artsy". That fact that Parasite won best film says more about the attacks on the lack of diversity in the nominations and the academy's need to defend, than it does about the actual quality of the movie, which I found to be mediocre at best (but nowhere near as bad as previous winners like Birdman). Did anyone really find "Once Upon A Time in Holywood" entertaining (outside of the last 20 minutes or so)?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    I've always seen the Oscars as a shining example of the movie industry sniffing it's own farts, especially when it comes to anything outside of the mainstream (with few exceptions) that would be perceived as "Artsy". That fact that Parasite won best film says more about the attacks on the lack of diversity in the nominations and the academy's need to defend, than it does about the actual quality of the movie, which I found to be mediocre at best (but nowhere near as bad as previous winners like Birdman). Did anyone really find "Once Upon A Time in Holywood" entertaining (outside of the last 20 minutes or so)?
    That's why I don't like Martin Scorsese and the Hollywood types that look down on anything that isn't a semblance of the relic of their time. The movie industry has changed, and The Academy doesn't keep up with it. Art is subjective, but what wins the top award in the business hardly reflects popular opinion. What the hell is even the criteria for choosing nominees? It's so random and unclear. How the hell does Black Panther get a nomination for Best Picture, but End Game does not? Just an example of contradictory and inconsistence. Horror movies never get nods, even though Dr. Sleep was very well received critically, but not a single nomination anywhere, and then they wonder why the ratings aren't where they'd want them to be. I'd like to say Hollywood is very slowly, gradually changing to catch up to the times, but too many old farts up top still in charge and their boot lickers will continued to inherit that antiquated mentality.

I´m glad that Hollywood has overcome its ignorance and acknowledges that sometimes the best isn't american. Long overdue. Haven't seen Parasite but the fact that mediocre shit like Irishman is nominated speaks volumes.

Favorite moment was Parasite winning Best Picture, they actually got it right this year. (Not sure why it's not in the poll???wtf)

Was super afraid that the academy would jerk themselves off and give Best Picture to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Most people didn't even know about Parasite until last night, myself included. I wasn't going to be a poser and throw it up as a poll option like I saw it. That's what Other is for. For the general public, The Joker is the star of Oscar season. Parasite is even more obscure than The Irishman.

I follow The Oscars and I didn't know about Parasite until last night
    ... what
    and I'm still not likely to see it.
    WHAT!? OP, please explain yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

For the general public, The Joker is the star of Oscar season. Parasite is even more obscure than The Irishman.
    The Irishman, the movie directed by Scorsese which starred Pacino, Pesci, and De Niro. And Parasite, the movie at #1 on RT and Metacritic for 2019 which every online movie reviewer gushed about...

Neither of these movies are obscure by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Mightytasty View Post
    ... what

WHAT!? OP, please explain yourself.
    You're saying I should watch every movie that wins Best Picture Award because the Academy tells me it's the best? The only Korean movie I have ever seen was I Saw The Devil, because I love horror movies. I don't care much for dark comedies, so why the hell would I see it? Because it won some awards?

The Irishman, the movie directed by Scorsese which starred Pacino, Pesci, and De Niro. And Parasite, the movie at #1 on RT and Metacritic for 2019 which every online movie reviewer gushed about...
    Neither of these movies are obscure by any means.
    Not my kind of movie. I don't like Scorsese or Pacino much. Pesci I only like from Home Alone. Until last night, I didn't know Parasite existed. No TV commercials or marketing here in the States. How the hell would I have known it even existed outside of Oscar season talk, which I don't pay attention to. I watch the event itself the night of and that's it. I don't watch every nominated movie there is.
    Last edited by Kyphael; 2020-02-10 at 05:12 PM.

You're saying I should watch every movie that wins Best Picture Award because the Academy tells me it's the best? The only Korean movie I have ever seen was I Saw The Devil, because I love horror movies. I don't care much for dark comedies, so why the hell would I see it? Because it won some awards?

Not my kind of movie. I don't like Scorsese or Pacino much. Pesci I only like from Home Alone. Until last night, I didn't know Parasite existed. No TV commercials or marketing here in the States. How the hell would I have known it even existed outside of Oscar season talk, which I don't pay attention to. I watch the event itself the night of and that's it. I don't watch every nominated movie there is.
    You got me all wrong. Fuck the academy. I didn't even watch the oscars, I just get the cliffnotes online once it's over. It's a boring ad-filled show full of painfully long hypocritical award speeches. I watched Parasite because of its absurdly good review scores, and all my favorite movie critics recommended it. If you don't watch any movie reviews I can understand how you missed it. However, if you're gonna make a poll thread about the Oscars and "forget" the option to include the Best Picture then idk what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mightytasty View Post
    You got me all wrong. Fuck the academy. I didn't even watch the oscars, I just get the cliffnotes online once it's over. It's a boring ad-filled show full of painfully long hypocritical award speeches. I watched Parasite because of its absurdly good review scores, and all my favorite movie critics recommended it. If you don't watch any movie reviews I can understand how you missed it. However, if you're gonna make a poll thread about the Oscars and "forget" the option to include the Best Picture then idk what to tell you.
    It crossed my mind to include it based on its milestone achievement, which I don't scoff at even if I never see it myself, but again, I felt odd including something with no personal knowledge of it like I saw it, or was excited for it. That's why I added the Other option, and it got its shout out through you, but odds are, most people on the forum never even seen it, or heard about it until last night.

Don't watch but doesn't surprise me Joaquin Phoenix won best actor. Stellar performance in a stellar movie. Doesn't surprise me he gave an odd speech either.
    Error 404 - Signature not found