Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tech Youtuber Falsely Banned

Tech Youtuber banned for "cheating."

Chronicles his customer support experience:

Here's his follow-up, explaining somewhat how the ban occurred:

Thoughts? I caught a 6-month ban out of nowhere a few years ago on a non-essential account under similar circumstances. Interesting to see that there's no internal review procedure, even after repeated appeals.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

5+ Year Old Account
    The thumbnails alone make me never want to watch any of these videos.

When will male youtubers learn how to make eye-catching videos that aren't obnoxious?
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

The only reason anything happened to fix this for him is that he has a platform to speak out about this. Kinda feels like Blizz said in the background "Lets give this guy his account back so he stops ranting about our shit CS/cheater detection algorithm on the tube!" If this was your ave. Joe chances are the account would still be banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unsurprising and shitty but it's never going to be any different. High profile people draw more attention than the rest of us.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharby View Post

When will male youtubers learn how to make eye-catching videos that aren't obnoxious?
    Guess he needed more cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharby View Post

Bellular actually explained this. He'd prefer not to use flashy annoying thumbnails, but literally every time he does his clicks and views drop dramatically. It's something to do with the youtube algorithm and marketing.

Cool videos bro.

But since it was resolved already, what are we supposed to do here?
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Yeh these videos have been littering recommended on youtube. The thumbnails make them really icky.

It is kind of worrisome. That they've got algorithm to ban players without actual evidence. What are the odds that it never happened before to someone who doesn't have his platform to fight this back? He himself explains that he had no success to reach out to Blizz to appeal the decision, they were even rude to him when he finally was able to talk to someone. And all this, because he got banned for no reason. It's a bit scary to think it could happen to any of us, and there would be nothing we could do about it.

I used to love going on forums to read threads made by players who were banned that argues didn't cheat, and I used to give all benefit of the doubt to Blizz, thinking they would never actually ban players without evidence.
    Now to think that even one of them is really just a guy or girl who is in this particular situation where they didn't cheat or do anything wrong, finds their account banned for 6 months or more, try to reach to Blizzard through proper channels, receives the middle finger, and as a final attempt to get attention, goes on the forum to plead their case, and get laughed at by everyone, I kind of feel bad to think this could have happened, even once.

7+ Year Old Account
    Who's this and why should I care
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisso View Post
    It is kind of worrisome. That they've got algorithm to ban players without actual evidence. What are the odds that it never happened before to someone who doesn't have his platform to fight this back? He himself explains that he had no success to reach out to Blizz to appeal the decision, they were even rude to him when he finally was able to talk to someone. And all this, because he got banned for no reason. It's a bit scary to think it could happen to any of us, and there would be nothing we could do about it.

I used to love going on forums to read threads made by players who were banned that argues didn't cheat, and I used to give all benefit of the doubt to Blizz, thinking they would never actually ban players without evidence.
    Now to think that even one of them is really just a guy or girl who is in this particular situation where they didn't cheat or do anything wrong, finds their account banned for 6 months or more, try to reach to Blizzard through proper channels, receives the middle finger, and as a final attempt to get attention, goes on the forum to plead their case, and get laughed at by everyone, I kind of feel bad to think this could have happened, even once.
    They'll live.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    They'll live.
    That doesn't mean it isn't shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Why does the "who" matter? You sound like you're trying very hard to show you're not caring.

Maybe focus on the "what".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Read the thread or watch the videos before you post a meaningless comment?

The guy got an undeserved 6 month ban and only had it overturned because his Youtube channel made him a higher profile player than the average person. Until Blizzard knew who he was they wouldn't answer him with anything but automated messages, but once they realized they actually called him in person to apologize and undo his ban.

It's just proof that the average player can be falsely flagged and banned, and they will have little hope of being able to fight it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    That doesn't mean it isn't shitty.
    It is, but it is not as sordid of an event as it was described. I'm sure the poster didn't mean it so, but he's said it like that guy or girl was terminally screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisso View Post
    It is kind of worrisome. That they've got algorithm to ban players without actual evidence.
    Yes, and it's even more worrysome the response they gave a 20+ year Blizzard veteran when he simply tried to get some explanation on the issue (100% ignored). If he wasn't a youtuber with a fanbase to help draw attention to the issue, he would have never gotten a real response, let alone get unbanned. Just shows the state Blizzard CS atm. Anyone could be banned, any time, for nothing, and have no way to have it overturned. Your account is at the whim of an algorithm that isn't perfect and unless you're a major figure in the community, Blizzard makes it virtually impossible to have a real person look into it.
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2020-02-10 at 08:01 PM.

cba watching , can someone please be so kind and summarize why this guy was banned etc? Thank you very much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    cba watching , can someone please be so kind and summarize why this guy was banned etc? Thank you very much.
    Apparently CBA to read the thread either because it's been posted a number of times.

Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    Blizzard never completely explained it. Just said their algorithm was suspicious of him using a third-party program (but had no actual concrete proof of it) and it sent out an automated 6 month suspension. When Blizzard finally looked into it (after his community outraged) they found he had done nothing wrong and unbanned him. This was well after he tried contacting them many, many times to no avail. W/o his status as a youtuber, Blizzard would have never looked into this any further.
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2020-02-10 at 08:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He deserves bans just for these thumbnails alone.
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..