Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account

how well can you speak english?

did you have to practice often to achieve your english skills?

So not very good.

10+ Year Old Account
    None at all, I speak in show tunes and musicals.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Typing or writing is mostly fine for me. You can probably tell it I'm not a native though.

Speaking? Not so great: https://vocaroo.com/h2WbXqmhcvr
    Last edited by Freighter; 2020-02-12 at 08:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Decent enough when I bother. I usually don't bother because it seems pedantic.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I can speak all of the english.

7+ Year Old Account
    I grew up with cartoon network as a kid, so I can speak it pretty good, people understand me.

My writing has suffered since its 10 years since I ever delivered any homework in English, and most of my typing has been in WOW with other Europeans who do not give a shit about grammar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am speak good very, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    the most goodest
    /s

M3 sp34k 3ngl15h v3ry g00d.

15+ Year Old Account
    Very good, close to native tongue at this point, i write/read/speak more English than Norwegian most days due to foreign friends, gaming and general usage of English sites, all since age of like 12-13, learned more English playing Diablo 2 than i ever did at school.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Pretty good.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Even though English is my native language, I do a lot of phoneme swapping or alteration because my brain and mouth don't work too good. I also have a bit of an auditory processing delay.

It's mostly fine in English, but I feel like with Japanese these carry over and make recall difficult sometimes, because I randomly swap a consonant or a vowel and make a word completely different, and it's up to me to notice that I did and correct it. I've also noticed a bit of dyslexia in certain things like 本日 and 日本, which not only sound completely different but have completely different meanings (today/this day vs. Japan). Those kanji compounds I have to train my eye out for so I don't make weird mistakes, but context usually helps anyways.

good enuff!

I'm surprised that many where I work ask me to type up things..."Can you phrase things a certain way?" Yes I can...
    Good with phrasing things that can, at times, suggest certain emotions.

I recall the general mgr yelling across the place; "That wasn't nice! Funny! But not nice!"
    Always a critic in the bunch somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can read and write it fine, I think, but I speak English very rarely. Apart from the occasional tourist, you don't have to speak English a lot in Québec City (which is fine by me). So the first few words are hard to say. It's like my lips need some warm up... My "th"s are fine, my "h" are correct, but I still struggle with the stresses. Singing in English is easier than speaking it.

I have to thank the late afternoon cartoons on ABC and then the british shows on PBS (Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett, Poirot, Allo Allo, Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Monty Python) and Star Trek for my English. It helped form my ear in both American and British English. I mean, I learned English in school, but two hours of English class a week wont do much if you don't practice. And it's true for any field of knowledge.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Typing or writing is mostly fine for me. You can probably tell it I'm not a native though.

Speaking? Not so great: https://vocaroo.com/h2WbXqmhcvr
    Your English is ruined huh? Nah I understand you fine. You sound like my friend 현ㅈㅜ actually.

All the English, yes!
    *sips tea*

But seriously though, pretty good if I may say so.
    Computer games definitely helped a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Your English is ruined huh? Nah I understand you fine. You sound like my friend 현ㅈㅜ actually.
    I used to speak a lot better when I actually used it daily, like when living in Singapore and Australia.

native level speaker - with good vocab. better than average