Is it normal to know so little about the ingame systems so close to launch? I guess I never followed any other final fantasy release so it feels weird to me that we still don't know anything about exploration and what exactly does it mean to have the game effectively split into 3 parts.

Will our progress carry through ? Will the next part open up more areas for us to explore or does it simply mean a few more self contained corridors to run straight in?

I can understand the game being split but I hope they merge it into a big game at the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Lol, I know right? I was debating on 'attempting' to hold off anyway a few weeks ago, for the same reason, I had an original PS4 not a 4k one, and I wanted to play this in all it's 4K glory, but I guess karma was listening and made the choice for me.
    I'm on a similar boat. This is the kind of game I would actually buy a ps4 for but since ps5 is expected this year it feels horribly wrong to spend 300+$ right now. I guess I'll wait too

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post

Oh lord..

That version of the Sephiroth theme when they switch on the reactor..
    That 3:39 moment of the video legit gave me goosebumps and shivers... went teared me up... nostalgia does sell, lol

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Will our progress carry through?
    That's a burning question I've had for a long time... it would feel weird to NOT have progress carry through, sure it's multiple parts but it's still one game overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    That's a burning question I've had for a long time... it would feel weird to NOT have progress carry through, sure it's multiple parts but it's still one game overall.
    It feels wrong not to know answers to simple questions such as this so close to launch in my opinion. They should be 100% transparent with it.

If they're 100% self contained games a lot of people will be mad in the long run and they better come clean from the beggining.

The skeptic in me is already thinking it's weird they have not talked about exploration or map progression or even anything of the sort as far as I know. This could easily lead up to FF13 levels of stupid where 90% of the game is running in a straight line.

Suddenly the game being split into parts makes a lot of sense because you have no real reason to go back to midgar in part 2 except when the game teleports you there to continue the story.

I'd really like to know what kind of freedom the player has in the game.

It definitely looks amazing and I'm hyped - but not hyped enough to buy a console. Waiting for PC it is.

Loving the game looks and the opening, but worried about the whole focus on one winged angel with Sephiroth and seemingly no love for his true theme. Those chosen by the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    It feels wrong not to know answers to simple questions such as this so close to launch in my opinion. They should be 100% transparent with it.

If they're 100% self contained games a lot of people will be mad in the long run and they better come clean from the beggining.

The skeptic in me is already thinking it's weird they have not talked about exploration or map progression or even anything of the sort as far as I know. This could easily lead up to FF13 levels of stupid where 90% of the game is running in a straight line.

Suddenly the game being split into parts makes a lot of sense because you have no real reason to go back to midgar in part 2 except when the game teleports you there to continue the story.

I'd really like to know what kind of freedom the player has in the game.
    I played the main Story for FFXV but not the DLC. Maybe it'll behave the same way?

Also, it'll suck if the future episodes are treated as "expansions" since that would mean that all your previous progress in the previous episodes might be invalidated. I'm on the same boat as you - wondering how each episode will handle played time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Gonna pass on FF7R until December. My PS4 just crapped out (original day 1 release), I'll play it on PS5 in 4k.
    Oh man, that sucks.

My first gen PS4 is still working, and I got it on launch day. XD I dunno what I'd do if it decided to crap out on me since it still has the P.T. Demo on it. I hope it lasts me quite a while longer since I don't really have the kind of money to replace it let alone buy a PS5 when that comes out.

I feel very little nostalgia towards this game. Don't know why. There was a time where I considered myself a big Final Fantasy fan, but for some reason 7 never hit me in the way it hit some people. I think part of it was I never had a Playstation. I played it a bit latter when there was a PC port, the same with 8, and I actually liked the characters of 8 more. I just didn't really connect with any of the 7 characters. 7 may have had the better story but I don't think that's saying much. I thought the story was just alright. Will I get this? Honestly I'll probably wait for reviews. If it's great I might.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    I feel very little nostalgia towards this game. Don't know why. For some reason 7 never hit me in the way it hit some people.
    You answered your own question.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    not even close? its the same thing lmao.

Only difference seems to be FF7's carbuncle has brain cancer or something?
    "Its the same thing but it's not the same thing."

Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    You answered your own question.
    Yes, that was the purpose. ; ) I set up the quandary then explained my thoughts.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really bugs me more than it should how they retconned the purpose of the holes in the Buster Sword. Materia slots? That's dumb as hell. The game looks fantastic, FANTASTIC, but that one little detail pisses me off more and more.

I mean, it made sense the way the movie made it look, when Kadaj sort of phases it into his wrist. If Materia are actual baseball-sized objects that actually ATTACH to gear instead of ENCHANT it, how the hell is TIFA supposed to get 8 of those attached to her glove?

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    It really bugs me more than it should how they retconned the purpose of the holes in the Buster Sword. Materia slots? That's dumb as hell. The game looks fantastic, FANTASTIC, but that one little detail pisses me off more and more.

I mean, it made sense the way the movie made it look, when Kadaj sort of phases it into his wrist. If Materia are actual baseball-sized objects that actually ATTACH to gear instead of ENCHANT it, how the hell is TIFA supposed to get 8 of those attached to her glove?
    4 materia per glove. Materia could be different sizes, like how master quartz are larger than regular quartz.

Personally, I rather like that they are trying to integrate the gameplay mechanics of the materia system into the lore. Reminds me of in Trails, the characters slot their quartz into their orbments. One thing I always said about Trails is that: wouldn't it have made more sense to build quartz slots into their weapons, so that you're not constantly having to reach down into your pocket, grab your orbment, flip it open, and THEN cast your spell?
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-02-14 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    4 materia per glove. Materia could be different sizes, like how master quartz are larger than regular quartz.

Personally, I rather like that they are trying to integrate the gameplay mechanics of the materia system into the lore. Reminds me of in Trails, the characters slot their quartz into their orbments. One thing I always said about Trails is that: wouldn't it have made more sense to build quartz slots into their weapons, so that you're not constantly having to reach down into your pocket, grab your orbment, flip it open, and THEN cast your spell?
    I really need to get Trails.... I keep getting sidetracked.

I really need to get Trails.... I keep getting sidetracked.
    Start with either Trails of Cold Steel or Trails in the Sky, whichever appeals to you the most. I'd warn you against googling too much, as there are spoilers everywhere (namely Google autocompleting spoilers for you, ie "XXXX character death", or Youtube recommending videos with spoilers in the title and thumbnail).

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

The fuck has Squeenix done to carbuncles?
    Well, googling carbuncle was one of the biggest mistakes of the day. /vomit

But yes, he looks turrible.

I'm on a similar boat. This is the kind of game I would actually buy a ps4 for but since ps5 is expected this year it feels horribly wrong to spend 300+$ right now. I guess I'll wait too
    On the bright side, waiting for the ps5 means this game will be like 20$ when you pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    On the bright side, waiting for the ps5 means this game will be like 20$ when you pick it up.
    I mean... doubt it being that low in the same year, but $40 around the holidays is likely.

I mean... doubt it being that low in the same year, but $40 around the holidays is likely.
    I've seen most ps4 games 50%+ off 6 months after release, and it'll be holiday sales too.