Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Too bad they are wrong. Scarlet Witch should be 1 then Hulk at 2 then Jean Gray at 3. Then slide everyone else down by 2 positions...
    and this opinion is all coming from the movies you've seen in the last 3 years?

Thor, Hulk, Scarlet Witch, and Jean Gray are way stronger.
    She thought she could take the Hulk in comics...

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Sure. But I think you mistake my point. I'm not saying "this movie is terrible because it lacks Mar-Vell". I'm saying that "as a fan of Mar-Vell, I would have liked something more".

I still more or less enjoyed the film.
    I see. So it sounds like that it wasn't a deal breaker for you but it could have been better (for you at least) had they gone with the old Mar-Vell. You've separated your personal preferences from your evaluation of the actual film that was made. That's an attitude I wish more people had.

I don't know if this is exactly what you had in mind but let me give you an example of something somewhat similar.

In the credits scenes of CM1 & AV:IW they set up a scene where Carol shows up and asks where's Fury. I was looking forward to that scene being finished in Endgame. It wasn't and it really irritated me. My problem was in expectations. Was yours ?

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    I see. So it sounds like that it wasn't a deal breaker for you but it could have been better (for you at least) had they gone with the old Mar-Vell. You've separated your personal preferences from your evaluation of the actual film that was made. That's an attitude I wish more people had.

I don't know if this is exactly what you had in mind but let me give you an example of something somewhat similar.

In the credits scenes of CM1 & AV:IW they set up a scene where Carol shows up and asks where's Fury. I was looking forward to that scene being finished in Endgame. It wasn't and it really irritated me. My problem was in expectations. Was yours ?
    Actually not completely. I 100% get and support Captain Marvel being Carol Danvers. She's the present and the future of the property and an amazing comic book character in her own right. It was totally the right call for this to be her movie. I think I just would have liked more of a nod to Mar-Vell. Maybe not as involved as Hank Pym in Ant-Man, but showing Mar-Vell as a precursor or a mentor or *something* to Carol would have been great.

My subverted expectation pet peeve is the fact that we don't get the Thanos/Hulk re-match in Endgame. *That* drove me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Actually not completely. I 100% get and support Captain Marvel being Carol Danvers. She's the present and the future of the property and an amazing comic book character in her own right. It was totally the right call for this to be her movie. I think I just would have liked more of a nod to Mar-Vell. Maybe not as involved as Hank Pym in Ant-Man, but showing Mar-Vell as a precursor or a mentor or *something* to Carol would have been great.

My subverted expectation pet peeve is the fact that we don't get the Thanos/Hulk re-match in Endgame. *That* drove me nuts.
    But, but, but, Mar-Vell did ALL of those things !!! It was just a different Mar-Vell !

Ok a couple of things. The original origin story differed from the movie in that Carol got powers in the 1st case from the (male) Capt Mar-vell blowing up and merging with her and in the other from Dr. (female) Mar-Vell's ship blowing up and absorbing part of the blast. My guess is that; 1) they did not think that older origin story would fly these days, and 2) getting her powers thru a male was not feminist enough.
    Last edited by JDL49; 2020-02-19 at 10:00 AM.

Typically I avoid overtly political movies and as such I avoided Alita Battle Angel, since I kept hearing it was "alt right". Although after my son rented it and I watched it with him, I couldn't fathom why.

I avoided the Captain Marvel movie for much the same reason. Although I did eventually see it when it went to the dollar theater. Here is the thing I didn't like it. IMO it was literally the weakest of the Marvel movies, do I hate it nope but I can't believe that I can say DC did it better w/Wonder Woman.

Wait the whole thing w/Nick Furys eye did piss me off. The rest of the movie was just meh
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Typically I avoid overtly political movies and as such I avoided Alita Battle Angel, since I kept hearing it was "alt right". Although after my son rented it and I watched it with him, I couldn't fathom why.

I avoided the Captain Marvel movie for much the same reason. Although I did eventually see it when it went to the dollar theater. Here is the thing I didn't like it. IMO it was literally the weakest of the Marvel movies, do I hate it nope but I can't believe that I can say DC did it better w/Wonder Woman.

Wait the whole thing w/Nick Furys eye did piss me off. The rest of the movie was just meh
    I don't think Alita: Battle Angel itself was alt-right. It was just the movie championed by the foreveralones, because Alita behaved like suitable waifu material, and for that reason alone, they thought it was a better movie. I thought it was okay. Some of that is my own sense of action aesthetics. Alita really had that 'weightless, fluid' feel to its action. A similar example is the Devil May Cry games. But that's just my personal feeling about the style.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I don't think Alita: Battle Angel itself was alt-right. It was just the movie championed by the foreveralones, because Alita behaved like suitable waifu material, and for that reason alone, they thought it was a better movie. I thought it was okay. Some of that is my own sense of action aesthetics. Alita really had that 'weightless, fluid' feel to its action. A similar example is the Devil May Cry games. But that's just my personal feeling about the style.
    I really enjoyed Alita, and after the rent I went out and got my own Blueray copy. I intend to get Captain Marvel as well as I have every other marvel film. I however refuse to pay full price for it cause it just wasn't very good.

Maybe they can turn it around in the sequel, but I am not going to hold my breath
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

capt marvel is ok, definitely not the same quality as other marvel movies though b or c movie for sure. acting was ok I guess. as long as there is a lot of action im goo dit it though

Yeah on Alita (I've a copy myself)
    But no on cap marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Indeed.

Basically the same thing with WW, she still had the dependency on her love interest to soften her and make her more in line with what some think a woman should be like in movies. Either as mothers, or lovers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    It is not about the movie, it is about hatred of the actress amongst a vocal minority online.

Something about her vowing to make sure press conferences she attends are more inclusive (which to these zero sum guys mean fewer seats for them) and suggesting that in regards to a specific movie she made it would be more interesting to hear feedback from a woman of color than a 40-year old white guy.

In the end, they didn't get much for their hate campaign. But they are nothing if not petty.
    Perfectly said. Just another case of standard-issue white male outrage. "OMG BRIE SAID WE DUN MATTER 2 HER"

Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Captain Marvel 2 should end with Rogue stealing her powers.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm not a huge Captain Marvel fan, and I am a huge Rogue fan, and we've never gotten a great movie version of Rogue in the FoX-men movies. But now that Disney owns the X-Men, and Captain Marvel has been polarizing at best despite making a billion dollars, maybe this is the chance to nerf Captain Marvel to a more likable version while creating the Rogue of the comics we know and love. Carol Danvers wouldn't even need to be retired, she could be in a coma in between movies (Captain Marvel 2 and Avengers 6?) and come back as Warbird. What do you think?
    they havent really done a true "villain turned hero" arch in the MCU like rogues in the comics, so i think this could be a cool idea. i know Winter Soldier was a villain, but he was under mind control and wasn't himself.. not really the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post

people project their own ideas on things. i saw alita and there was nothing political about it. just like fight club, and the matrix its hilarious how many people steal lines and ideas from those movies, and get the exact opposite message than was intended.

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    and this opinion is all coming from the movies you've seen in the last 3 years?
    Um. Scarlet Witch kicked the s!%$ out of Thanos solo. Everyone else had to have a couple of others in a group.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Indeed.

Basically the same thing with WW, she still had the dependency on her love interest to soften her and make her more in line with what some think a woman should be like in movies. Either as mothers, or lovers.
    Kind of. Wonder Woman was a bit more interesting as kind of a subversion of normal action-romance tropes. I liked Wonder Woman's action a lot more too for the most part, despite being very critical of Gal Gadot's physicality.

Brie Larson's hoof and mouth problem had nothing to do with how good or bad the movie actually was. I enjoyed it a lot. For that matter I enjoyed WW albeit somewhat less. Both had third act problems All of this is largely a matter of taste and we should simply move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    Isn't it funny how Brie Larson disappeared from the face of the planet?
    Remember how she always had something to say against men, in various magazines and websites, and Disney did nothing to shut her up?! Well she's a now a meme and box office poison, and no one wants to hire her and get negative attention towards their product. She's basically a female Colin Kaepernick.

So she's laying low, hoping people will forget about her.
    She's filming multiple high profile projects. So much for no one wanting to hire her.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The pregnant lady’s physicality wasn’t up to your standards?
    What pregnant lady? I just thought she was too skinny and modelesque. I get that it's not an issue for most people, but I'm an ex-pro fighter. I want people to look like they've actually put in a lot of time doing fighting stuff, even if her power is supernaturally sourced.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpleton View Post
    Captain Marvel needs an "Empire Strikes Back" in that she really needs to lose. She's too powerful and too arrogant right now and a humbling experience could really develop her character in something awesome. But alas, I doubt that's the narrative that Disney wants to pursue with her, they'd rather her be an OP "Strong Independent Woman" who's earned literally nothing and is challenged by nothing.
    They kinda already did that to her, altough on a much smaller scale. She thought she can bare handedly beat Thanos, even when the gauntlet was on him, but she got knocked out eventually. That's a huge bummer for her, experiencing her first defeat, and I think she already started contemplating on this on Tony's funeral (she looks more annoyed to me than of feeling grief). I'm pretty sure this is the way Marvel's gonna go down with her, putting more obstacles in front of her that will instead of pushing her into her limits she will eventually fall. Either with or without Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    She was pregnant when filming Wonder Woman. And she served in the IDF as a combat readiness instructor sooooo....
    That's not anywhere near adequate.

15+ Year Old Account
    Um. Scarlet Witch kicked the s!%$ out of Thanos solo. Everyone else had to have a couple of others in a group.
    so i was correct...