Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Republican Party sends fundraising mail disguised as census as real count

A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is illegal. It violates the Prevent Deceptive Census Look Alike Mailings Act which was signed into law in 2010.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    It is illegal. It violates the Prevent Deceptive Census Look Alike Mailings Act which was signed into law in 2010.
    That act name is so specific I actually had to look it up to see if it was real and you weren't just playin'. But it's real, and Here it is for anyone curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    That act name is so specific I actually had to look it up to see if it was real and you weren't just playin'. But it's real, and Here it is for anyone curious.
    When you didn't think laws could have worse names than "Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act".

This is what you get with a Congress full of laywers and no English majors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    When you didn't think laws could have worse names than "Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act".

I mean at least the name is to the point, so credit for that.

lol, who's going to enforce the law? The DOJ that is Trump's bitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    lol, who's going to enforce the law? The DOJ that is Trump's bitch?
    There should be no exception whatsoever and then the Postal Service could enforce it by simply not delivering that crap.

10+ Year Old Account

I would have called it the Nice Try Asshole, Now Get that Shit Out of Here Act.
    /s

In big gold letters it says "Enclosed is your official 2020 CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT CENSUS " I guess morons could be fooled by this.

- - - Updated - - -

What law did the break?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    What law did the break?
    The one you quoted. Did you not read it?

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

This is the type of crap I expect from robocalls and junk mail not the freaking RNC. Bah who am I kidding it's par for the course now

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Oh the irony of complaining about not being able to read something.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenlo View Post
    This is the type of crap I expect from robocalls and junk mail not the freaking RNC. Bah who am I kidding it's par for the course now
    Why wouldn't you expect it from a criminal organization? Why do people even take anything from any republican at face value and/or in good faith? They don't give a fuck about the law when it is in the way of their quest of consolidating power and curbing the rights and freedoms of other people.
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

In big gold letters it says "Enclosed is your official 2020 CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT CENSUS " I guess morons could be fooled by this.
    Which is the standard Trump supporter.

- - - Updated - - -

What law did the break?
    Kinda funny that you didn't even bother reading the post you quoted. I mean, @Zaydin actually named the law it broke, and you still asked this ridiculous question.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Which is the standard Trump supporter.

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda funny that you didn't even bother reading the post you quoted. I mean, @Zaydin actually named the law it broke, and you still asked this ridiculous question.
    Clearly you didn't read the source

“Clearly, the RNC has found a way to skirt the law deliberately, making their actions even more reprehensible,” she said in a statement. “These mailings sow confusion at a time when the public needs clarity about the census – putting an accurate count in danger.

“I am now working to strengthen the language of the Prevent Deceptive Census Look Alike Mailings Act so that these dirty political tricks can’t be used in the future.”

They didn't break the law, but they did skirt it. I am not saying what they are doing isn't underhanded, just saying they didn't break a law. To say otherwise is lying.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not saying what they are doing isn't underhanded
    Please go the next step. Actually say "what they are doing is underhanded". Otherwise, this is a nothing statement which sounds like defending them.

By the way, I'm also going to ask you to do the following:

1) In the ongoing effort to "both sides do it" please find the time(s) the DNC has done this. Now, the linked article says "never" but I'm sure you can find something. Or, I guess, you'll have admit that, no, this is purely a GOP thing.

2) Once done with 1) above, please address the following:
    a) This is an RNC mailer.
    b) The article addresses the possibility that people might confuse the mailer with the real census, and not answer the real census. See also: Pat Buchanan.
    c) If only Republicans forget to answer the census, because they were duped by the mailer, states with the highest proportions of Republican voters will see the biggest drop in results.

What will that do to the Republican states in the 2020 Census? Be specific, and make sure to use a #2 pencil and make your marks dark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Short answer: no

Long answer: technically yes, but decided to ignore facts because he's a ravenous Trump supporter WoKe InDePeNdEnT

It's clear the Republicans don't want people to vote. This with all the other voter suppression tactics and laws, shows that Republicans do not want to work for votes but rather steal elections. The problem is the Republicans no doubt understand they are losing power, yet instead of reaching out for voters, they would rather do this.

Just reading the first few posts, I'm glad the Woke Independent brushed it off but yet if this was the other sides tactic now doubt who the author of the thread would be. Since I am the true Woke Independent in these forums, the one issue I stand by is trying to make it hard to vote or not vote at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Short answer: no

Long answer: technically yes, but decided to ignore facts because he's a ravenous Trump supporter WoKe InDePeNdEnT
    Thank you!
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

This is why you ideally want lawyers instead of english majors. You want to make things as concise as possible to leave as little room for leeway (with how we currently deal with laws)

That being said, the quoted law only requires the letters to have an accurate return address and refrain from using the phrase "official government" in front of the word "census." If you name a corp "Official Census," using that as the name line on your official address fulfills the law's requirements but makes it look like you're filling out a census for the "official census." As they never use the term "federal government" before the word "census" it's not in violation of that provision of the quoted law either.

Frankly, they just need to cut all the specifics and make the "reasonable person" an actual tangible piece of legislation instead of part of our common law (it's currently only a product of case law afaik). Something along the lines of, "A reasonable person could infer that the letter or it's packaging was designed to impersonate official government census forms." Define reasonable person formally as it was established in cripps. Punishment could be the banning of all officers and employees of the corp sending out said letters from sitting on any non-profit boards, up to a $1b fine (I'm okay with scaling this with inflation), and 10yr in prison.

Quite frankly, I'd be okay with that type of ambiguity in a few laws specifically relating to identity, which are difficult to legislate (take this case, it's definitely against the spirit of the law, but because legislators can't dream of all ways con-artists scam people, we're left with garbage like this being legal, because they relegated themselves to "official government" and didn't include "whatever district this was for that I'm too lazy to look up again"). If a reasonable person could discern that you're attempting to flout a law, go to jail. We still have pardons and the judge's discretion to either alleviate or nullify unjust convictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    What law did the break?
    Are you illiterate?
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers