Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I can't believe so many people are defending timegating.

Many claim that timegating stops people from burning through content quickly and then being bored. But the fanboys claiming time gating is a good thing are the exact type of people who spend far too much time inside the game.

They don't understand what it's like for a normal person who feels obligated to log in every day or to fall behind. This is the one thing they keep saying up and down these threads; that time gating makes the game friendlier to people without much time to play.It really really doesn't. The current design actively punishes you for not loggin in every day to do your chores.

No one would care if you could come back to the game and earn Kul Tirans in a weekend. But no - it takes weeks of logging in every single day, doing boring briandead content (world quests).

The daily-fication is reaching critical levels. You can't do anything in this game any more without logging in every day/week for several weeks it seems. Every nugget of content is milked in order to increase their time /played metrics so they can show shareholders they're doing well.

P.S: Even if I have all the time in the world, having to do these boring dailies sucks all the fun out of it. If I was able to grind when I choose to do so, I would find it more fun. It doesn't help that in order to do anything remotely resembling fun in this game, you have to slog through chores first.

Ano2024 back with another circle jerk wow hate thread. Time to unsub.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I personally can't believe people defend the current U.S. president, Donald Trump, but hey, that's just the world we live in isn't it?

Also who is Brian and how did he die?
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

This is part of the reason why "WoW feels like work" as another thread previously suggested. It's tiring limiting.

Plus, a few friends of mine were interested in new races, then immediately got turned off when they realized there's a time gate and grind.

Pretty damn good system ONLY for hardcore, loyal fans who will suffer through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Well, I personally can't believe people defend the current U.S. president, Donald Trump, but hey, that's just the world we live in isn't it?

Also who is Brian and how did he die?
    I personally can’t believe people are still butthurt about the 2016 election.

He’s still your president and will be for four more years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravec View Post

rofl.

Last edited by Chonar; 2020-02-19 at 02:41 PM.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

I agree. Content has to be timegated because Blizz is simply unable to produce content as fast as it is consumed, that is understandable. But being forced to login daily sucks donkey balls and it discourages me from even playing at all. Because I don't like to feel like I'm forced to play. Catch up is fine and dandy, but only a bandaid to cover a bigger problem. And there is no catchup for reputation, which is used for content which is even advertised on the box of BfA, namely Allies Races.
    So yeah, just reset the dailies on a weekly schedule, so I have a weeks time to progress and am not forced to play every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    rofl.
    How dare you not Living in the US!

*laugh*

On Topic:
    Both ways are in my Opinion more a problem of the Players.
    If with the DailyQuests you feel, that you have to log in EveryDay to do your Daily Chores, its not the Problem of the game.
    The same goes with if you could endlessly grind, if you feel that you need to endlessly grind, its not the Problem of the game.

Its probably mostly to appease the Bigger side of people, and because it helps to spread out the Content over a bigger timeframe.

If there were no Timegating, the same amount or more People would complain that there is nothing to do. Even if they didnt actually do stuff, just because in theory they could´ve done it.

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    How dare you not Living in the US!

*laugh*

On Topic:
    Both ways are in my Opinion more a problem of the Players.
    If with the DailyQuests you feel, that you have to log in EveryDay to do your Daily Chores, its not the Problem of the game.
    The same goes with if you could endlessly grind, if you feel that you need to endlessly grind, its not the Problem of the game.

Its probably mostly to appease the Bigger side of people, and because it helps to spread out the Content over a bigger timeframe.

If there were no Timegating, the same amount or more People would complain that there is nothing to do. Even if they didnt actually do stuff, just because in theory they could´ve done it.
    Just don't enforce the daily login. Make it weekly and there will be a lot less complaints. And to create enough different worldquests for one week is not that hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ano2024 View Post
    If the game is so horrible... stop torturing yourself... move on...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Just don't enforce the daily login. Make it weekly and there will be a lot less complaints. And to create enough different worldquests for one week is not that hard.
    Did you submit that as Feedback already?

Apart from that, I dont feel like I have to log in every day.
    But I like that I can do it, and have always something to do. I generally like Daily Lockouts more than Weekly Lockouts.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not every day where you see the political nonsense being the high point of the thread lol.

I mean people do burn through content when there isn't some limit to how much you can do. So you either frustrate yourself over that or you play it the way they intended tbh.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Find something else that is enjoyable instead.

Stop working about a sunk cost.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravec View Post

He's not my president

Quote Originally Posted by ano2024 View Post
    The daily-fication is reaching critical levels. You can't do anything in this game any more without logging in every day/week for several weeks it seems. Every nugget of content is milked in order to increase their time /played metrics so they can show shareholders they're doing well.
    This is the Interesting Part. This is a "You" or "Player" problem.

Emissary Quests are 3 Days Active, Small Invasions are 3,5Days, Large Invasions are 7Days.
    These award Big Rewards, the Rewards of the Daily Quests are in comparison rather small. You make enough Progress if you just do the Emissarys for Reputation, and the Invasions.

The "Daily" Rewards need to stay in, to give the Players who like to log in Daily and like to do their Chores, still feel it rewarding.

In my Opinion right now its fairly Balanced, you can do a bit more daily, but you also can just play a bit every few days and still make Progress.
    For me, it never felt less Forced to login daily.

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    Did you submit that as Feedback already?

Apart from that, I dont feel like I have to log in every day.
    But I like that I can do it, and have always something to do. I generally like Daily Lockouts more than Weekly Lockouts.
    Sure, I did on the 8.3 PTR. Sadly their ingame tool is not really that great when it comes to making suggestions.

And think about this. You like dailies, I like weeklies. There is a compromise here: Give WQs a lifetime/respawntime of one week, but make them spawn on different days. That means you can login any time of the week and do every quest available (if you didn't already do it in the past 7 days), but every day there will be new things for you to do, since a new set of dailies spawns (which you can do them, but if you don't, you'll have 7 days to do them).

If you want to play daily: Login every day and do like 20 WQs. Or login let's say every Sunday and do 80 quests and Wednesday to do another 60. Or do them all in one day. As long as you login and do any time of the week you have the chance to complete all possible quests. And you will have new quests every day.
    Last edited by LordVargK; 2020-02-19 at 03:12 PM.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard are fucked both ways here. I think they've gone too far with time-gating of rep gains, but they really are fucked both ways.

If they do time-gate, they get complaints like this, and they are real complaints that impact real, players, not just ano2024. I know several players who ended up quitting instead of working to open up a new allied race or whatever, when the realized they were looking at 1 month+ of logging on virtually every day (or at least checking WoW every day to see which Emissaries were up), just to unlock a race.

Don't get me wrong - I've done it - I've got everything unlocked from when I've been playing (so not Mechagnomes yet, but everything else Alliance side and some stuff Horde-side). But I'm a natural grinder. I deal well with checking every day to see if I need to log on. A lot of other people? They hate it. They feel like the game is trying to dictate their schedule, rather than vice-versa, or they just get horribly disappointed.

But the other way I think they're even more fucked.

If you let people, day 1 of the expansion, start turbo-grinding ungated reps, you get three very negative effects:

1) People make themselves grind the reps, day in, day out. This is undeniable. They will do it. Anyone involved with raiding or PvP will do it even more diligently. It's happened before, it'll happen again. This causes severe burn-out, like SEVERE.

2) The same players then have Exalted rep with all the factions available, so all the rewards they need, and if anything later is based on those reps, well, they already maxed them.

3) Anyone coming new to the game is basically told "Step 1: GRIND UR FACE OFF!!!".

Has BfA (or Legion?) found the right balance. Nah. But it's not remotely the worst either. A partial fix would be simple - a rep gain increase for old faction that only applied on number patches - i.e. 8.1 could have given +25% rep gain to pre-8.1 BfA reps., 8.2 given +50% to pre-8.1, and +25% to 8.1, and 8.3 +100% pre-8.1, +50% to 8.1, and +25% to 8.2. There are other ways that could work - like letting people hold more emissaries in waiting - esp. after the first patch - make it 7, say, instead of 3.

That said, what you really want to avoid is the absolute worst of both worlds - the way Cataclysm did it.

Cataclysm really got this as wrong as you can get it. It not only had massive time-gating by only allowing certain dailies to be up at certain times, AND by limiting you to XX dailies per day (15? 25?), but it also made it so if you missed a daily, it was gone, so you got behind by not logging on on any given day, and further, to do the however-many dailies it was each day, took you like between 1 and 2.5 hours. So you had to literally log on every day, play for 1-2.5 hours of boring-as-shit dailies, and then maybe actually get to play the game. Anything else was severely sub-optimal. It was no fun for anyone.
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2020-02-19 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    3) Anyone coming new to the game is basically told "Step 1: GRIND UR FACE OFF!!!".
    How is that different from what we have now? No one is saying there shouldn't be catch up mechanics like artifact knowledge for reputation

AP is the largest contributing factor of the problem described in the OP and Blizzard has already announced that this is being removed in SL. They seem to be moving back to a system something like Valor Points back in WoD where you'd grind your 1k cap then be done for the week. I much preferred this type of system because it allowed me to work around my days off to grind and I believe this is another complaint the OP had. There are obviously Pro's and Con's to any system Blizzard decides to introduce but it seems a bit pointless to complain about the current system when we already know it's going away in a few months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Blizzard are fucked both ways here. I think they've gone too far with time-gating of rep gains, but they really are fucked both ways.

If they do time-gate, they get complaints like this, and they are real complaints that impact real, players, not just ano2024. I know several players who ended up quitting instead of working to open up a new allied race or whatever, when the realized they were looking at 1 month+ of logging on virtually every day (or at least checking WoW every day to see which Emissaries were up), just to unlock a race.

Don't get me wrong - I've done it - I've got everything unlocked from when I've been playing (so not Mechagnomes yet, but everything else Alliance side and some stuff Horde-side). But I'm a natural grinder. I deal well with checking every day to see if I need to log on. A lot of other people? They hate it. They feel like the game is trying to dictate their schedule, rather than vice-versa, or they just get horribly disappointed.

But the other way I think they're even more fucked.

If you let people, day 1 of the expansion, start turbo-grinding ungated reps, you get three very negative effects:

1) People make themselves grind the reps, day in, day out. This is undeniable. They will do it. Anyone involved with raiding or PvP will do it even more diligently. It's happened before, it'll happen again. This causes severe burn-out, like SEVERE.

2) The same players then have Exalted rep with all the factions available, so all the rewards they need, and if anything later is based on those reps, well, they already maxed them.

Has BfA (or Legion?) found the right balance. Nah. But it's not remotely the worst either. A partial fix would be simple - a rep gain increase for old faction that only applied on number patches - i.e. 8.1 could have given +25% rep gain to pre-8.1 BfA reps., 8.2 given +50% to pre-8.1, and +25% to 8.1, and 8.3 +100% pre-8.1, +50% to 8.1, and +25% to 8.2. There are other ways that could work - like letting people hold more emissaries in waiting - esp. after the first patch - make it 7, say, instead of 3.

That said, what you really want to avoid is the absolute worst of both worlds - the way Cataclysm did it.

Cataclysm really got this as wrong as you can get it. It not only had massive time-gating by only allowing certain dailies to be up at certain times, AND by limiting you to XX dailies per day (15? 25?), but it also made it so if you missed a daily, it was gone, so you got behind by not logging on on any given day, and further, to do the however-many dailies it was each day, took you like between 1 and 2.5 hours. So you had to literally log on every day, play for 1-2.5 hours of boring-as-shit dailies, and then maybe actually get to play the game. Anything else was severely sub-optimal. It was no fun for anyone.
    I agree. Blizzard cannot win no matter what they do. One thing I would personally prefer though would be to have a weekly cap on the important things that either has an easy catch-up or stacks so that you can catch up with alts / new players and be able to actually not have to log in daily to keep up. Turns out, they're doing that (at least for Anima) in Shadowlands. If this does happen, I would be very glad.