Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Did Blizzard intentionally design horrific visions to maximize frustration?

Scorched feet - your character jumps forward without your input
    Entomophobia - your character runs forward without your input
    Split personality - your character wanders around without your input
    Leaden foot - your character slows to a crawl

Then every second mob has some kind of a slow or a stun. Special shoutout to that miniboss with the unavoidable chains that lock you out of your character for several seconds.

It's like Ion and Holinka met up and Holinka told Ion that people love being CCed in PvP sooooo much that Ion thought it would be a brilliant idea to bring all of that CC into PvE. I don't remember EVER being locked out of my character by mechanics this much in 15 years of WoW.

...not to mention everyone is walking around slowed nowadays with corruptionforging.

Being stunned is not fun. Losing control of your character is not fun. Being slowed is not fun. There's absolutely nothing fun about getting slowed to a crawl, being knocked into a mirror image and then watching helplessly as your character wanders around in a pool of nasty gunk while losing sanity. It doesn't feel like you're being punished for screwing up a mechanic. It feels like the game is doing its best to make you ALT+F4 and uninstall.

p.s. I have cleared full 4 mask visions several times now. There's so many CCs incoming from mobs that it's impossible to run visions cleanly. No matter how good I play, I still have to watch my character get pummeled by mobs while I have no control several times per vision. Beyond frustrating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    i like to call them "horrific activisions"

Quote Originally Posted by Siaer View Post
    So apart from Leaden foot, absolutely all of that is avoidable. If you rule out the chance of stuns, loss of control or slows, what is left to still pose any sort of challenge? The stuns are generally cast time abilities and the loss of control mechanics are from entirely avoidable sources. If you rule these things out because they are 'not fun' then all you have are mobs that have tank busters because near lethal damage attacks are all the challenge you are left with.
    Maybe... just maybe make packs that require player CC and interrupts to clear instead of making it a mad dash to the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    if you ignore/fail them, yes... otherwise, all of this is avoidable...
    so no offense, but either you choose to ignore that, which makes this pointless, purposefuly modified thread to create hate train, or you didnt know that, in which case i doubt you finished vision with 4 masks...

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe... just maybe make packs that require player CC and interrupts to clear instead of making it a mad dash to the end?
    you cant really make required CC for content thats supposed to be soloable if not every class have CC...

Demonology Warlocks: Am I a joke to you?

Yeah, the visions aren't hard, or challenging, so much as seriously annoying.

snip
    Almost everything is avoidable, get better if you don't want to get cced. The whole visions are scripted, you already know beforehand what you have to do to avoid getting cced.

Then every second mob has some kind of a slow or a stun. Special shoutout to that miniboss with the unavoidable chains that lock you out of your character for several seconds.

It's like Ion and Holinka met up and Holinka told Ion that people love being CCed in PvP sooooo much that Ion thought it would be a brilliant idea to bring all of that CC into PvE. I don't remember EVER being locked out of my character by mechanics this much in 15 years of WoW.

...not to mention everyone is walking around slowed nowadays with corruptionforging.

Being stunned is not fun. Losing control of your character is not fun. Being slowed is not fun. There's absolutely nothing fun about getting slowed to a crawl, being knocked into a mirror image and then watching helplessly as your character wanders around in a pool of nasty gunk while losing sanity. It doesn't feel like you're being punished for screwing up a mechanic. It feels like the game is doing its best to make you ALT+F4 and uninstall.

p.s. I have cleared full 4 mask visions several times now. There's so many CCs incoming from mobs that it's impossible to run visions cleanly. No matter how good I play, I still have to watch my character get pummeled by mobs while I have no control several times per vision. Beyond frustrating.
    Leaden Foot is the only one that I personally dislike. It is counter intuitive and heavily punishes you more so than pretty much any other modifier. Split personality is avoidable,not only with it's opening, but with your screen glowing shortly before it goes off (barring another missed mechanic knocking you into it). Entomophobia is 100% avoidable by jumping before your stacks get to high. Schorched feet has slightly controllable, as it too glows your screen somewhat when its effect is ready to go.

Leaden Foot, however, punishes you way too hard, mainly because it stacks so quickly. They growth rate of the stacks should be heavily reduced. Trying to do Shaw this week with Daredevil and leaden foot is pretty much asking to lose an entire bar of sanity in one fight, unless you manage to get a Gift proc right before you pull Shaw, then you'll only lose maybe half. This is even as a shaman who can use ghost wolf to not be a total snail. It seems like a nice idea on paper, and if you are playing without the more challenging masks, it's not a problem. But play with Daredevil or Long Night, and Leaden Foot becomes insane. I'm also not sure if this is more of a Solo vs Party play balancing issue, as I only run Visions solo, something they are supposed to be designed for.

If I'm being honestly, it feels like Visions are woefully skewed towards party, with solo only being a slight afterthought. I have no idea how on earth I'm going to be able to handle Mask of the Long Night and Mask of the Daredevil, as a solo player, and do a full run. Only 500(575) Sanity and 400% sanity loss from creatures?! Shaw (with Leaden) and Rexxar alone make that Mask combo feel like I'm soloing a mythic raid boss. Run as a party though and you replace bonus dmg/dmg reduction with 300-375 extra sanity, extra cd's, interrupts, target separation, etc.
    Last edited by themaster24; 2020-02-19 at 11:06 PM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Scorched feet - time your jumps so it helps you
    Entomophobia - jump every now and again and you're fine
    Split Personality - again totally avoidable. you get told when its about to hit and all you have to do is stand still. The images appear and then you walk out the gap.
    Leaden foot - yeah not avoidable but you just gotta deal with it.

They are the type of content that when your discussing it around a table it seems legit. Ideas are bouncing. Then you get to them and its like.. oh.. not anything that great or new just make it like things are now but a little more annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Demonology Warlocks: Am I a joke to you?
    All Warlocks, for visions really. Yeah, you're gonna go tank the mobs with your face and not the Voidwalker's face? Very poor choice.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    All of these can be avoided and give visual and sometimes audio alerts when they're about to happen.

You know what? I thought they were bullshit the first couple times I did them too, until you actually play with them enough to know how to game them.

Scorched feet - Standing still will never cause you to jump. If your feet are burning your next movement is going to cause you to jump. Use this time to decide where you want to propel yourself. Can totally game this one, also only happens in the easier zones.

Entomophobia - Bugs VERY VISIBLY attach to your screen and shortly after you hit five, you propel forward and get feared. Either watch the bugs or your debuffs. Will never happen if you jump shortly after hitting five, or anytime before. Also, you can control the direction you're feared so yeah, your input matters.

Split Personality - Screen glows purple, and a couple seconds later you're surrounded by by images with a gap. When you see the screen glow purple, you literally stop moving. Will concede that there are times the gap is near a wall and you can't pass through, but you have to decide if waiting it out is worth it or not.

Leaden Foot - This ones annoying and essentially requires you to limit movement, and stutter step.

Three of the ones listed above can be dealt with if you're actually intelligent, and none of them are actually random bullshit. They can all be played around and your failure to play the mechanics is your own fault. They aren't RNG they aren't bullshit, you just suck. Something people should keep in mind, is that both the zones that leaden foot and split personality happen in (in both Orgrimmar/Stormwind), are in zones where you want to limit movement anyway. Most of the trash in those areas are too hard to pull mass amount of mobs at once, so these madnesses basically fit with the theme of these zones.

It's sort of hilarious because many of the familiar faces in this thread are the same ones who post about how they want content that doesn't rush them, when a few of these madness effects literally do just that. You for the 'most' part can take your time in visions and as long as you avoid sanity damage, you will be surprised at how far you can push them. The madnesses people have the most problems with are literally designed to make you slow down, in a world where people just want to 'go at their own pace', which is sort of ironic.

Solo play versus group play is entirely dependent on what classes we are talking about. I've cleared 5 mask in both zones on a blood DK, as have UH DKs, DHs, stealth classes, mages, BM hunters and rogues (to just name a few). The only aspect of solo that's more difficult is that if you fuck up, you're basically done, whereas groups have the option to bring you back up. I won't sit here and say they'e perfectly balanced (they're not), but every class should be able to 5 mask at some point.

Is there an emphasis on speed? Yeah, slightly, but I think it's very overblown. Somebody who mass pulls and takes sanity damage is going to be doing just as well as somebody who pulls in 2-3 pulls, and avoids everything. Visions are about locating mobs with dangerous abilities, and literally nuking/CC the ever living shit out of them, while saving your big boy CDs for the bosses that give you problems. Most of my runs where I fail are a product of me pulling far too much and taking too much sanity damage. If I can 3 mask solo as a balance druid in 445 gear with a 415 weapon and not even 3 minors, so can you. This is literally a class with few interrupts and terrible AoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    All of these can be avoided and give visual and sometimes audio alerts when they're about to happen.

You know what? I thought they were bullshit the first couple times I did them too, until you actually play with them enough to know how to game them.

Scorched feet - Standing still will never cause you to jump. If your feet are burning your next movement is going to cause you to jump. Use this time to decide where you want to propel yourself. Can totally game this one, also only happens in the easier zones.

Entomophobia - Bugs VERY VISIBLY attach to your screen and shortly after you hit five, you propel forward and get feared. Either watch the bugs or your debuffs. Will never happen if you jump shortly after hitting five, or anytime before. Also, you can control the direction you're feared so yeah, your input matters.

Split Personality - Screen glows purple, and a couple seconds later you're surrounded by by images with a gap. When you see the screen glow purple, you literally stop moving. Will concede that there are times the gap is near a wall and you can't pass through, but you have to decide if waiting it out is worth it or not.

Leaden Foot - This ones annoying and essentially requires you to limit movement, and stutter step.

Three of the ones listed above can be dealt with if you're actually intelligent, and none of them are actually random bullshit. They can all be played around and your failure to play the mechanics is your own fault. They aren't RNG they aren't bullshit, you just suck. Something people should keep in mind, is that both the zones that leaden foot and split personality happen in (in both Orgrimmar/Stormwind), are in zones where you want to limit movement anyway. Most of the trash in those areas are too hard to pull mass amount of mobs at once, so these madnesses basically fit with the theme of these zones.

It's sort of hilarious because many of the familiar faces in this thread are the same ones who post about how they want content that doesn't rush them, when a few of these madness effects literally do just that. You for the 'most' part can take your time in visions and as long as you avoid sanity damage, you will be surprised at how far you can push them. The madnesses people have the most problems with are literally designed to make you slow down, in a world where people just want to 'go at their own pace', which is sort of ironic.

Solo play versus group play is entirely dependent on what classes we are talking about. I've cleared 5 mask in both zones on a blood DK, as have UH DKs, DHs, stealth classes, mages, BM hunters and rogues (to just name a few). The only aspect of solo that's more difficult is that if you fuck up, you're basically done, whereas groups have the option to bring you back up. I won't sit here and say they'e perfectly balanced (they're not), but every class should be able to 5 mask at some point.

Is there an emphasis on speed? Yeah, slightly, but I think it's very overblown. Somebody who mass pulls and takes sanity damage is going to be doing just as well as somebody who pulls in 2-3 pulls, and avoids everything. Visions are about locating mobs with dangerous abilities, and literally nuking/CC the ever living shit out of them, while saving your big boy CDs for the bosses that give you problems. Most of my runs where I fail are a product of me pulling far too much and taking too much sanity damage. If I can 3 mask solo as a balance druid in 445 gear with a 415 weapon and not even 3 minors, so can you. This is literally a class with few interrupts and terrible AoE.
    Yeah, the only ones that I'd consider bullshit are Split Personality and Leaden Foot, and funnily enough they kind of cancel each other out to some degree when together. If the OP doesn't even know what Entomophobia does, I also kind of doubt they have cleared 4 masks, but maybe that's just me being cynical.

Umbric with both of those madnesses on can die in a fire, though. Fuck that fight sideways.

So making something difficult with additional things that change weekly is now bad design because you can't handle it?

God you should NEVER even think about using a mask.

The Visions are the only thing this patch has done good. Not an infinite farm. Locked so you can catch up and you are not forced to no live the first 3 weeks. Challenging so you get better each run. Has a soft nerf by the skilltree which means in the end everyone can faceroll it. You can choose of you want to do it in a group or solo. AND it changes enough that every week it feels different.

If Thorgast takes the best parts from this and builds it up i am happy as fu**!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the only ones that I'd consider bullshit are Split Personality and Leaden Foot, and funnily enough they kind of cancel each other out to some degree when together. If the OP doesn't even know what Entomophobia does, I also kind of doubt they have cleared 4 masks, but maybe that's just me being cynical.

Umbric with both of those madnesses on can die in a fire, though. Fuck that fight sideways.
    Umbric is the worst, or second worst boss in all of Visions, Rexxar being the only consideration. Umbrics difficulty with leaden foot is a lot higher.

Something people should know about Umbric is that anything (including pets, minions, etc) will break his smoke bomb mechanic instantly. There are a few trinkets that summon shit and even if they're low iLvL you might want to use them. Can also position pets down the corridor (he always ports to the corridor farthest away).

Same guy talking about mythic raiding mindset and jazz can't even counter simple mechanics....

The entomophobia is a joke and is basically nothing... just jump.
    Split personality, when screen starts to go purple don't keep running and stand still for a second.
    Scorched feet - screen becomes red, stop moving as much.
    Leaden - as soon as you start to slow down move out of shit then stand still till it goes down to 0.

I start to wonder if people actually want no mechanics in the game.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-02-19 at 11:37 PM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Umbric is the worst, or second worst boss in all of Visions, Rexxar being the only consideration. Umbrics difficulty with leaden foot is a lot higher.

Something people should know about Umbric is that anything (including pets, minions, etc) will break his smoke bomb mechanic instantly. There are a few trinkets that summon shit and even if they're low iLvL you might want to use them. Can also position pets down the corridor (he always ports to the corridor farthest away).
    At least Rexxar is a straight up skill (and admittedly gear to some extent) test. Umbric tests little but my patience with this week's affixes, and as a Warrior I can't do much when Leap is on cooldown. I envy my DK guildie who laughs at Leaden Foot due to Death's Advance passive and has two movement skills while Charge is worthless in that fight.

At least Rexxar is a straight up skill (and admittedly gear to some extent) test. Umbric tests little but my patience with this week's affixes, and as a Warrior I can't do much when Leap is on cooldown. I envy my DK guildie who laughs at Leaden Foot due to Death's Advance passive and has two movement skills while Charge is worthless in that fight.
    To be honest, given how horrible DK movement is in every other part of the game, I'm sure it's fine that they have one place they shine :P

I struggle really hard with Rexxar on my mage, still not sure the easiest way to handle him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Did complete stormwind yesterday for the first time.
    leaden foot + magister umbric omfg glad i was a warrior i can use jump and blade storm. almost wasted my run there.
    i have no idea how to avoid -10 sanity from eye thingies fighting shaw. I had to burn him as fast as possible. Terrible with leaden foot tho.

Found a rare neutral gnome attacked it, he is fucking immune! feared the adds 2 times and burned him. Is there any other way to kill him?

long story short, whoever designed leaden foot and put it to the mage area in stormwind is the biggest as asshole ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    Did complete stormwind yesterday for the first time.
    leaden foot + magister umbric omfg glad i was a warrior i can use jump and blade storm. almost wasted my run there.
    i have no idea how to avoid -10 sanity from eye thingies fighting shaw. I had to burn him as fast as possible. Terrible with leaden foot tho.

Found a rare neutral gnome attacked it, he is fucking immune! feared the adds 2 times and burned him. Is there any other way to kill him?

long story short, whoever designed leaden foot and put it to the mage area in stormwind is the biggest as asshole ever.
    I think you can LoS the eye thingies.

I also found out you can gain a +10% haste bonus in Stormwind (killing a bear in a house close to the main place, and the adds spawning afterwards).
    Last edited by Barzotti; 2020-02-19 at 11:53 PM.