Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    Could have been a good idea if he hadn't put Kathleen Kennedy in charge of it, who wrecked the entire Disney Star Wars movie series. "The force is female" and all that crap that didn't appeal to the actual Star Wars fans that pay for the tickets.

Hopefully this Chapek guy will focus on actually GOOD movies, not on woke movies.
    Didn't all of those movies make bank but the one about the white male though... I thought they were shit outside of first.

The first movie was fixable but the other two were straight trash.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2020-02-26 at 01:03 AM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Uh...no? It took Luke years of training to develop the Jedi mind trick. Rey, without any training whatsoever, just told a stormtrooper to release her and drop his weapon. Then she totally handled Kylo Ren in lightsaber combat. Kylo Ren, a well versed fighter trained by Luke Skywalker himself, with years of experience, got manhandled by a girl with basic training at most. Because Rey is the bestest Jedi ever, and she don't need no training.

And Anakin trained with the best Jedi in the galaxy.

Rey, being a Mary Sue and all, didn't need any character growth, didn't need any training, she is just powerful by default. That's the definition of a Mary Sue.
    Luke's training in a nutshell.

A couple hours flying to Alderann
    A couple days with Yoda.

Yet somehow with a couple hours, he was able to use the force to guide torpedos into an air vent that even many Jedis couldn't do.
    Somehow after a few days with Yoda was able to basically be a full fledged Jedi.

Kylo when defeated by rey in Episode 7 just killed his dad so mind wasn't in right place (meaning connection with force already fucked up.) and shot with the Star Wars equivalent of a close-up shot gun blast. It was a miracle he was even alive to fight rey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    It's just opportunity cost. Star Wars the setting had potential, and that potential was sprayed willy-nilly rather than in a focused burst of creativity. Given what Disney had been doing with the Marvel properties, fans had high expectations when the purchase was announced, but the films failed to deliver on that promise. There are certainly people who hate Kennedy with an unreasonable passion and as far as I know Kennedy was handpicked by Lucas, so fingerpointing at her while canonizing him is absolutely silly. To me it's less about one person and more about the organization, and whatever the reason for Iger's ouster, some people are going to have a glimmer of hope for the future of the SW brand.

It's reasonable to be frustrated with what Disney did with Star Wars. They shitcanned the Legends universe without bothering to mine it for ideas - going so far as to say "There's no source material." No, the EU was never going to be incorporated into canon, but a lot of experimentation with the core concepts at work in the brand had been done in that setting and ignoring it was stupid. Sure, OG Star Wars was cheesy and couldn't compete in today's market, but it touched a lot of people and inspired a lot of passion, it could have evolved. That passion never touched the steering wheel for the franchise. Maybe that's changing, maybe the franchise will get rescued, but I'm dubious. It's reasonable to view something with suspicion if you feel you've wasted your time on it.
    I think everything you said here is valid even if I don't share that view totally. I'll be honest I don't know if a lot of it is just ME in terms of my age and moving past it. I liked Rey, And I do appreciate the cast.

I did see all 3 of the films but honestly, it didn't feel the same, as for technically the 2nd IMO was a fucking disaster, it felt like 2 hours of going no place and even worse was what I thought I knew based on the first film which was great got washed away. The finally fight between Luke and Kylo seemed kind of cheap.

That said this last film sort of felt rushed but mostly like it was making up for lost content.

I am not a huge fan of JJ Abrams in fact I kind of hate him for what he did to Star Trek, but again that is probably me not being able to let go.

However the whole issue being banged on by the loud and mostly minority of the SW fan base has been more than childish, similar to Game of Thrones a show I didn't even watch.

This has nothing to do with actual criticism, the problem stems from people who went into all of this not giving a shit about your points or mine, but already had stupid notions based on a bias going in.

In Short, more recently the cast of SW seemed to almost be fed up with the SW minority vocal fan base. And personally I don't fucking blame them

A lot of these same people IMO would be bitching no matter what
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I think everything you said here is valid even if I don't share that view totally. I'll be honest I don't know if a lot of it is just ME in terms of my age and moving past it. I liked Rey, And I do appreciate the cast.

I did see all 3 of the films but honestly, it didn't feel the same, as for technically the 2nd IMO was a fucking disaster, it felt like 2 hours of going no place and even worse was what I thought I knew based on the first film which was great got washed away. The finally fight between Luke and Kylo seemed kind of cheap.

That said this last film sort of felt rushed but mostly like it was making up for lost content.

I am not a huge fan of JJ Abrams in fact I kind of hate him for what he did to Star Trek, but again that is probably me not being able to let go.

However the whole issue being banged on by the loud and mostly minority of the SW fan base has been more than childish, similar to Game of Thrones a show I didn't even watch.

This has nothing to do with actual criticism, the problem stems from people who went into all of this not giving a shit about your points or mine, but already had stupid notions based on a bias going in.

In Short, more recently the cast of SW seemed to almost be fed up with the SW minority vocal fan base. And personally I don't fucking blame them

A lot of these same people IMO would be bitching no matter what
    Yeah fair enough. Amen to that last point...

Iger wasn't booted.

Anyone that thinks he was failure, is mind numbingly stupid. He wasn't a failure by any real measure.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    They got their money back, at the cost of alienating the fanbase.
    Clearly someone was paying for tickets. If all the fans are gone, how'd they make all that money?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Luke and Anakin were just as much "mary sues".

And sure, toy sales are down, but Star Wars doesn't stand out any more. If you're in your 30s or older, you grew up with the OT, and Star Wars was absolutely iconic, and set new standards for effects.

Today? Not so much. The story's never been the primary draw; that's why niche characters like Boba Fett became a huge "thing" in the community, even when Fett, in the OT, is basically a complete dope. Imagery was what fueled Star Wars. And the effects don't stand out any more. The effects are right on-par with other great films like Jupiter Ascending or Valerian: City of A Thousand Planets or John Carter. How were the toy sales from those IPs? And yes, "great films" was deliberately tongue-in-cheek.

Seriously, go Watch A New Hope with open eyes, sometime. The acting (aside from Guiness) is often terrible, the dialogue is atrocious, and the story is incredibly generic, even for the time. What made it iconic was the cinematography and the effects, visuals like Darth Vader's look, lightsabers, the ship designs, etc. Not story. The story's always been mediocre at best.

And frankly, if you're gonna make me rank the trilogies, it's gonna be Eps 4-6 at the top, eps 7-9 second, with the prequels pulling up a distant third. People forget how terrible the prequels were, and how much flak they got, and try and hold the newer films not to that standard, but the standard of their childhoog nostalgia, which isn't even real. That's the same childhood that thought He-Man was super awesome.

The newer films had the same problem as the prequels. The rabid fanbase demanded perfection, and the kids are just there for flashy effects. And today, there's a lot more options for "flashy effects", and a lot more content aimed at those kids, so expecting toy sales to keep up with the OT's is just . . . not tenable.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't say Rey was "terrible". Bland, yes. Absolutely bland. She's Luke, without the inner conflict. Rey isn't a shit sandwich. She's a microwave burrito. You can eat it, but, like, you're not gonna enjoy it enough to want more.

Still better than prequels Anakin, though. I've tried getting through the Clone Wars and it's tough, because you just wanna slap him all the damn time. He doesn't come off as dangerous, he comes off as an edgelord dork.

And yes to the "no overall vision". It needed to either be Abrams for three films, or Rian Johnson for three films. Not back and forth without holding themselves to a single plan. As much as I'll defend the sequels, this was a fuckup. Not that the original trilogy was perfect; Lucas retconned Luke and Leia being siblings in RotJ. For the first two films, they weren't. This wasn't just a secret, it legitimately had not occurred to George Lucas at all. That's why it wasn't super icky for the two to have a long passionate kiss in ESB. They weren't siblings, when that scene was written and shot.
    To be fair, I think some of the understated, blander acting in the original trilogy kind of ads to its charm, and I miss that a LOT in the prequels, and a little in the sequels. When things were serious, the seriousness was the best acted in the new trilogy. But I kind of missed the bickering and the casual regular-people quips.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Iger wasn't booted.

Anyone that thinks he was failure, is mind numbingly stupid. He wasn't a failure by any real measure.
    The company's profits more than tripled on his watch so yeah, if I were a shareholder I would be concerned that he's leaving. As a fan of Star Wars with no financial stake in the company I'm hoping this means SW ends up with a more coherent strategy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    To be fair, I think some of the understated, blander acting in the original trilogy kind of ads to its charm, and I miss that a LOT in the prequels, and a little in the sequels. When things were serious, the seriousness was the best acted in the new trilogy. But I kind of missed the bickering and the casual regular-people quips.
    Sure. Even with my criticisms, I don't think the newer films are "better" than the originals. But they're closer than the prequels. So I take the raging with more than a couple grains of salt. I definitely see ways to improve on what we got (IMO).

They're not the worst thing ever and not an insult to the name of Star Wars. They're fine. And "fine" is better than the prequels, which were hot garbage.

What they need is a Kevin Feige or Jon Favreau at the helm of the IP. Of course, we didn't know Feige or Favreau had it in 'em until they were already doing it, so I understand why it's not so easy. And given that Disney was responsible for both of them, I'm not gonna rage about Disney, either. Lucasfilm was a giant ball of suck at times, itself. See; the prequels, and the constant tinkering with the originals.

Maybe he gets better later. I got just into season 3 before I found other stuff to watch, but up to that point, he was either generically snarky, or edgelord teen angst, and not much else.
    Then again, edgelord teen angst is a defining characteristic of Anakin. That's what Palpatine could latch on to to turn him into a Sith.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post

A couple days with Yoda.

Yet somehow with a couple hours, he was able to use the force to guide torpedos into an air vent that even many Jedis couldn't do.
    How many Jedi were firing torpedoes into the Death Star?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Nonsense people keep conflating bullshit that has nothing to do with the success of star wars or some of it's failings.
    For me, Disney SW just felt...directionless, nonsensical and unnatural.

After the first movie there was an idea that there would be some world building happening (even tho Starkiller Base was an absolutely stupid idea as it somehow didn't feel like an actual threat), but that never materialized.

The main cast was simply never developed, Finn had no real personality arc worth following, Rey...somehow managed to be written as clueless and annoying and omniscient/omnipotent and wise, the end result was utterly unlikeable. I am all for strong women...but Rey was never a good example of one for the SW universe (Ashoka Tano on the other hand).

The plot holes were gaping (same in Solo) Starkiller Base, Canto Blight, Holdo's slow space "chase" and suicide run, the whole "lore" around Exogol.

There was next to no world building, like in the first movie where offhand comments like the Emperor abolishing the Senate, Leia invoking diplomatic immunity on Vader, reference to computers having to plot FTL jumps, Kessel run etc, you weren't given much but your mind would fill in the gaps.

I never got that from Disney SW.

Luke and Anakin were just as much "mary sues".
    Um, no. No they weren't:

You're making shit up and ignoring the actual films and what they're showing, dude.
    If you were paying attention the the films, you'd realise Luke was never a "Mary Sue". The video gives a great breakdown explaining why.
    Last edited by Fargus; 2020-02-26 at 06:24 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Seriously. It wasn't going to be hard to do better than George Lucas's prequel trilogy disaster. Yet Disney managed to fuck it up, just like they are fucking up Marvel.
    Disney has made an absolute killing off of marvel and has pulled super hero movies to an unforeseen level they didn’t fuck up marvel in any way shape or form.

Rey and Kennedy are the worst things to happen to a large franchise aside from the directors becoming woke females *cough* Matrix *cough*. Endus is just arguing for the sake of arguing. Biggest troll out there. The movies sucked because Rey had no heroes journey or internal struggles, and they butchered the previous characters to highlight their "new" heroes. Imagine if Amazon rolled out the after LotR series and the ring really WASNT destroyed and Aragorn turned into a recluse King who wouldnt even lift a finger if Frodo came back

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Rey and Kennedy are the worst things to happen to a large franchise aside from the directors becoming woke females *cough* Matrix *cough*. Endus is just arguing for the sake of arguing. Biggest troll out there. The movies sucked because Rey had no heroes journey or internal struggles, and they butchered the previous characters to highlight their "new" heroes. Imagine if Amazon rolled out the after LotR series and the ring really WASNT destroyed and Aragorn turned into a recluse King who wouldnt even lift a finger if Frodo came back
    I find it hilarious he calls Luke a Mary Sue when he had multiple setbacks, including getting his hand cut off and has obvious weaknesses. Whereas MaRey Sue can lift massive boulders with a smaller amount of effort than Yoda... freakin' YODA did in ATOC during the battle with Dooku and stop/deflect Force lightning that disabled thousands of ships. Ridiculous how people can be so self-delusional.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post

A couple days with Yoda.
    To be fair, the span between the events of ANH and ROTJ is several years.

So this happened. Just found out. Lol
    https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/...epresentation/

Now Bob Iger's leave makes a lot more sense.

*Bob Iger on the falling airplane, strapping on his parachute*: So long, suckers! Enjoy the crash!
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-02-26 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    Didn't all of those movies make bank but the one about the white male though... I thought they were shit outside of first.

The first movie was fixable but the other two were straight trash.
    First movie was decent but leaned too much into A New Hope nostalgia. Second one was DC levels of bad but had a few awesome scenes (Ren+Rey vs Snoke's guard was absolutely fantastic and almost made up for the meandering "plot.") Third film was a good ending, did an okay job of cleaning up the mess of the second but missed a "wow factor."

Both of the Star Wars Stories were good. Rogue One is probably my favourite movie in the franchise. Solo was good but they tried too hard to stick all of Han's significant history into it, like he got his name, met Lando and Chewie, got the Millennium Falcon and completed the Kessel Run in what felt like a week. Then they stuck in the thing where he basically funded the entire rebellion which sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    The movies sucked because Rey had no heroes journey or internal struggles
    I assume you must have watched a different trilogy.

- - - Updated - - -

So this happened. Just found out. Lol
    https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/...epresentation/

Now Bob Iger's leave makes a lot more sense.

*Bob Iger on the falling airplane, strapping on his parachute*: So long, suckers! Enjoy the crash!
    Falling airplane? What reality do you live in? Disney is swimming in money.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Falling airplane? What reality do you live in? Disney is swimming in money.
    Some people have been drinking the "get woke, go broke" kool-aid so long it's distorting their view of reality and they have to believe that companies even showing lip-service to diversity or social awareness have to be losing money.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I assume you must have watched a different trilogy.
    Might want to take a look at that analysis I posted earlier regarding Mary Sues.