Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Plenty of people call out shit male characters for being shit. Only reason Rey gets highlighted here is because she's a main character of the Star Wars franchise. This has nothing to do with a male vs female thing. Shit bland characters are shit, I don't care if they identify as male, female or toaster.

No, she is a Mary Sue, as shown in this thorough analysis of her character:

That doesn't matter. At the end of the day, we got an awesome character. What about Sarah Connor? I don't care what gender they are, it's all about the character.

- - - Updated - - -

Palpatine was her grandfather, not father...
    Close enough to be super similar to Luke’s story.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Well this thread derailed quickly... Facts are, Bob Iger is stepping down, but into the position of Executive Chairman in order to see the transition goes smoothly. His replacement, Bob Chapek has more or less been the other most powerful man at Disney for a long while now.

This is actually kind of similar to how it went with Michael Eisner stepping down, and Iger stepping up, albeit with Iger having put the company in a vastly better position.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Luke and Anakin were just as much "mary sues".
    I don't think "Mary Sues" tend to lose their hands in a fight they're in over their heads, nearly have a mental breakdown when you find out your mentor lied to you about your father, and nearly die at the hands of your enemies, needing to be saved by others. Or have your limbs sliced off by your old mentor, and left off near a lava river to almost burn to death from the heat, meaning you're now confined to live in a life support suit for the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Yes, let our final memories of Star Wars be everyone hugging and smiling surrounded by dancing teddy bears in a forest.
    Better than our final memory having a Palpatine being guilty of identity theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Clearly you don't watch any MCU films because that's not really what happens. For a universe that has 20+ films all linked together, the continuity and attention to detail between films/ storylines is incredible, for the most part. That's why it's so successful, it's like a TV series times a hundred
    I'm talking about the fight scenes which are full of jump-cuts, MCU films can have someone get punched and perform 3 cuts before they hit the ground. The worst example of what I mean was (admittedly not a movie) Iron Fist.

- - - Updated - - -

Better than our final memory having a Palpatine being guilty of identity theft.
    Ha that's funny, because identity theft is a modern, real world crime and you used the phrase to mock Rey abandoning the ways of her birth and continuing the Skywalker legacy established by Luke and Leia. So clever :-)

But not as bad as Luke and Leia having an incestuous kiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Seems like he just sped up his retirement. CEO's don't just get fired (or pressured to resign) without real good cause, and a floundering Star Wars trilogy aint that when so much else went right.

So...unlikely you all will get the change you are looking for.
    I would agree with this if it wasn't "effective immediately". Sped up retirements don't come up like that.

My theory is Bob wants to get ahead of the Coronavirus plunge/Upcoming recession in the US economy. He wants to cash out while his chips are still worth a damn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I don't think "Mary Sues" tend to lose their hands in a fight they're in over their heads, nearly have a mental breakdown when you find out your mentor lied to you about your father, and nearly die at the hands of your enemies, needing to be saved by others. Or have your limbs sliced off by your old mentor, and left off near a lava river to almost burn to death from the heat, meaning you're now confined to live in a life support suit for the rest of your life.
    Remember when Rey got knocked out and captured by Kylo Ren, barely putting up a fight?
    Remember when Rey accidentally released the beasts on Han's cargo ship, nearly killing Finn?
    Remember when Rey accidentally destroyed a troop carrier she thought Chewie was on?

You folks use a separate standard for Rey, and ignore the times she fucked up. I guess she didn't literally get a limb cut off, so it doesn't count, or something?

I'll also note I'm skipping some others, like when she reached for the Dark Side on Ach-To, because someone was around to stop​ her before it went bad.

Plenty of people call out shit male characters for being shit. Only reason Rey gets highlighted here is because she's a main character of the Star Wars franchise. This has nothing to do with a male vs female thing. Shit bland characters are shit, I don't care if they identify as male, female or toaster.
    There are sometimes called out for being shit. They don't use gendered insults or whine about conspiracies. This thread was started by someone spouting conspiracies from post #1.

Rey is simply underwritten. Back story requires some exposition and if the director in charge would rather film fancy action scenes and flex his special FX epeen than some boring things like character development? You get Force Awakens. To be fair he did try to give some story to Kylo Ren. I guess Abrams would rather write about male characters.

Then we get some additional vitriol against Last Jedi that I still find completely baffling. Pick almost any plot point you hate about Last Jedi and odds are its a problem that was introduced in Force Awakens.

PS
    "What about Sarah Connor?" said every idiot ever. Holy Broken Record there Batman. In T1 she only existed to give birth to RoboKillerJesus. In T2 who gives a shit because the story undermines the superior T1.

Erm, he didn't get booted. He is stepping down as CEO and it's been known for a long time he was going to.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    I would agree with this if it wasn't "effective immediately". Sped up retirements don't come up like that.

My theory is Bob wants to get ahead of the Coronavirus plunge/Upcoming recession in the US economy. He wants to cash out while his chips are still worth a damn.
    Dude is also 69. Being wealthy means great healthcare in the US but wealth couldn't save Steve Jobs. He might have some underlying health problems and a stress free life might be in order.

Iron Fist is one of the few objectively bad things marvel is responsible for of late, but in fairness that's more netflix than marvel. And Netflix gave us Daredevil which is exceptional so they can be forgiven
    Iron Fist is just an example that makes my point about cuts in a fight obvious, watch this and count how many times the perspective jumps whilst people are fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    Bob Iger is stepping down as CEO.

The media mogul, who has been at the helm of Disney since 2005 and extended his contract with the company twice during his tenure, said Tuesday that he is leaving his post ahead of his contract expiring in 2021.

Disney announced that Bob Chapek, the company’s head of parks, experiences and products, would be his successor. Iger will assume the role of executive chairman through Dec. 31, 2021.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/disn...is-legacy.html

Ding dong the witch is dead. Bob Iger got served the pink slip from his CEO position, and it was about damn time.
    Lol at thinking Iger was fired. He oversaw the acquisition of multiple franchises, the most successful run of movies ever, launching Disney+, etc...

Just because you dont like one or 2 of the shit ass Starwars movies doesn't mean he is getting the can for it. Hell if Kennedy still has a job that likely means that SW is still making ridiculous money regardless of the movies being made.

Iger is 70 years old, he's just stepping back, he's still a top executive at Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    They got their money back, at the cost of alienating the fanbase.
    They can win them back, fans are fickle but they forget easily enough. I mean, as we speak they're heaping praise for The Mandalorian, so it's not like Disney doesn't still have their money.
    Last edited by Kyphael; 2020-02-26 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    First movie was decent but leaned too much into A New Hope nostalgia. Second one was DC levels of bad but had a few awesome scenes (Ren+Rey vs Snoke's guard was absolutely fantastic and almost made up for the meandering "plot.") Third film was a good ending, did an okay job of cleaning up the mess of the second but missed a "wow factor."

Both of the Star Wars Stories were good. Rogue One is probably my favourite movie in the franchise. Solo was good but they tried too hard to stick all of Han's significant history into it, like he got his name, met Lando and Chewie, got the Millennium Falcon and completed the Kessel Run in what felt like a week. Then they stuck in the thing where he basically funded the entire rebellion which sucked.
    I just said "white male" cause the dude went on a rant about wokeness but if you look at the profit from all three. The one with the male lead did the worse. I just find it funny.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

10+ Year Old Account
    Being a mary sue doesn't mean you never fuck up - it means there's no consequences to those fuck ups.

"Remember when Rey got knocked out and captured by Kylo Ren, barely putting up a fight?" = And in the end she somehow became a master of the jedi mindtrick and escaped unscathed

"Remember when Rey accidentally released the beasts on Han's cargo ship, nearly killing Finn?" = And this supposed extremely dangerous beast that Han was scared of didn't hurt any of the good guys and only dealt with the bad guys, inadvertently helping the good guys

"Remember when Rey accidentally destroyed a troop carrier she thought Chewie was on?" = Turns out Chewie wasn't on that one, cause reasons

So, you're actually helping the argument that she's a mary sue. Thanks
    By this standard, none of what was cited had consequences, either.

Luke's hand got cut off, and he immediately had a replacement that caused him literally no problems ever.
    Vader's suit is iconic, and it's really hard to see Anakin donning it as a "consequence" that was in any way negative, other than emblematic of his fall to the Dark Side. Which is progressing his character path, and not a negative consequence.

And so on.

well, good riddance i guess? nothing's going to change because of it. "good luck and well wishes" in this case will be "misfortune and ill-tidings" from me.

as far as i'm concerned, every single disney exec can all rot in piss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    There are sometimes called out for being shit. They don't use gendered insults or whine about conspiracies. This thread was started by someone spouting conspiracies from post #1.

Rey is simply underwritten. Back story requires some exposition and if the director in charge would rather film fancy action scenes and flex his special FX epeen than some boring things like character development? You get Force Awakens. To be fair he did try to give some story to Kylo Ren. I guess Abrams would rather write about male characters.

Then we get some additional vitriol against Last Jedi that I still find completely baffling. Pick almost any plot point you hate about Last Jedi and odds are its a problem that was introduced in Force Awakens.

PS
    "What about Sarah Connor?" said every idiot ever. Holy Broken Record there Batman. In T1 she only existed to give birth to RoboKillerJesus. In T2 who gives a shit because the story undermines the superior T1.
    Why are you continuing to frame this as a male vs female thing? I don't care about any of that, so go talk to someone who gives a shit. I only care about the character here, not the gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    Ghostbusters 2016. Disaster.
    Batwoman. Pretty much cancelled.
    Wokemen. Cancelled.
    Dr. Who the new series. BBC will never cancel it because it's the only thing they have, but it's doing so bad that it may as well be finished.
    Turds of Prey. Still hasn't broken even, and it looks like it's gonna lose money.

Get woke, go broke.
    Ghostbusters gets way more hate than it deserved, it was funny.

And birds of prey was a fun movie, it didn't feel very 'woke' at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Remember when Rey got knocked out and captured by Kylo Ren, barely putting up a fight?
    Remember when Rey accidentally released the beasts on Han's cargo ship, nearly killing Finn?
    Remember when Rey accidentally destroyed a troop carrier she thought Chewie was on?
    Remember when I posted a video that posted the differences of the two characters in detail that explain why Rey is a Mary Sue and Luke isn't a Garry Stu?

Quote Originally Posted by Scathan View Post
    Ghostbusters gets way more hate than it deserved, it was funny.

And birds of prey was a fun movie, it didn't feel very 'woke' at all.
    One scene had Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya kicking each other in the crotch. Sure as hell didn't seem like anything but a very silly, and fun movie. Though I still hated Huntress and Black Canary's outfits...