Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    But it's an insane jump. The Xbox one x, the currently highest performing console is roughly in the neighbourhood of the 1060. Maybe a 1070 if we're generous. I just do not see AMD getting that kind of jump in performance. They'd have to sell the new GPU to Microsoft at roughly the same price.. Something that's ~50-100% more powerful. It just seems incredibly unlikely to me.

If they pull it off though, then holy fuck am I looking forward to the halo products from Nvidia and AMD next gen, those things are going to be insane.
    AMD may not be targeting a big profit margin with consoles if they have other aims. For instance, even selling the gpu to microsoft at cost could still be a gain. It ensures that all games made on next gen consoles are designed around AMD architecture rather than Nvidia. That is the kind of thing that can pay lucrative dividends in the PC space and elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    AMD may not be targeting a big profit margin with consoles if they have other aims. For instance, even selling the gpu to microsoft at cost could still be a gain. It ensures that all games made on next gen consoles are designed around AMD architecture rather than Nvidia. That is the kind of thing that can pay lucrative dividends in the PC space and elsewhere.
    Except if any of that was remotely likely then it would have already happened. Its the same as "moar coarz" argument.

The current-gen consoles (heading for what... six or seven years old now?) are based on 8-core x86-64 CPUs and AMD GPUs.

So... all the console games for the last seven years have "been designed around AMD architecture rather than nVidia" and its done precisely fuck-all.

Pretty sure any plans about a release of a new Nvidia GPU this year have gone down the drain with Corona

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Except if any of that was remotely likely then it would have already happened. Its the same as "moar coarz" argument.

The current-gen consoles (heading for what... six or seven years old now?) are based on 8-core x86-64 CPUs and AMD GPUs.

So... all the console games for the last seven years have "been designed around AMD architecture rather than nVidia" and its done precisely fuck-all.
    Putting aside what Kagthul said for a second.. Even if it magically made sense and games wouldn't run very well on Nvidia for some reason..

Current console gen has sold ~150mil units (46mil Xbox 1's and 109mil PS4's) in total (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._game_consoles). If they sold at just 1 dollar loss, that's 150mil down the drain. Considering they're worth ~4.5 billion total (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Micro_Devices) that's what, 3% of their total net worth they've thrown away at just 1 dollar loss per GPU. If we say they're sold at a 10 dollar loss per GPU, that's 30% of their net worth. Yes it'll be over a couple years, about 7 for current gen consoles (and that's with the mid-generation update that's an entirely GPU they'd have to make and sell).
    But let's remember that the current leaks have the next-gen Xbox equalling or beating a 500 dollar GPU on its own.. We're looking at a lot more than just a 10 dollar loss per GPU for AMD.

Who cares about AMD or Nvidia's profit margin. Both of them would drain every drop of blood from all our necks if it got them an extra tenth of a point on the stock market. I got zero love for either of them. But as long as both of them are engaged and fighting each other they are worried more about bleeding each other instead of bleeding me. At least as much.

Judging by how shit has been already, Corona Virus will some how delay the release of the new GPUs by 6+ months.

Imo, just buy the current best or best for u right now.

Quote Originally Posted by sarym13 View Post
    Judging by how shit has been already, Corona Virus will some how delay the release of the new GPUs by 6+ months.

Imo, just buy the current best or best for u right now.
    Yeah I decided I'm not going to wait. 2070S should do just fine for everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    how many 1000's of dollars are these ones going to be?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfals View Post
    Nothing can be worse than the whole 1070/1080 being out of stock issue from a few years ago. I literally got 1070 and a 1080 two years ago because for a whole year and a half, they were out of stock 24/7 or on crazy overprice.
    I don't even know how long I waited for the price to drop on 1080. Then it went right back up like weeks later. PC gaming isn't affordable for people who don't know how to build systems over time. Without that knowledge, they think you either need a prebuilt or need to buy everything all at once. It took me literal years to get my system where it is today.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    New leaks of the 3000 series. RTX 3080 ti 40% faster then the RTX 2080 ti

tweaktown nvidia ampere geforce rtx 3080 ti is 40 faster than 2080 ti
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    New leaks of the 3000 series. RTX 3080 ti 40% faster then the RTX 2080 ti

tweaktown nvidia ampere geforce rtx 3080 ti is 40 faster than 2080 ti
    Up to 40% faster.

Seems unlikely it would be that much faster in games, but hey, I'd like to be wrong

Up to 40% faster.

Seems unlikely it would be that much faster in games, but hey, I'd like to be wrong
    Depends. If you are pushing 4k than you will notice it big time. 1080p or 1440p you are probably just starting to see diminishing returns with a 2080ti already. At least until next generation graphics appear.. probably around holiday season 2020 or early/mid 2021.

Allow me to hijack this thread for a moment so i don't have to open up another one: Do you guys think it's sensible to buy a 2080ti over a 2080 super to futureproof myself as best as possible, or is the difference in performance and "futureproofyness" so little that i can save myself the 400 euro price difference?

Up to 40% faster.

Why? Previously, a new architecture + die shrink has led to 30+% performance gains. (7-9 series, 9-10 series) so it's definitely not out of the question

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    how many 1000's of dollars are these ones going to be?
    They'll fall into the same price points as the cards they are replacing, just like the last six generations or so, +/- 20-30$ to account for rising costs (or lower costs, when RAM process fell)
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2020-03-13 at 12:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Allow me to hijack this thread for a moment so i don't have to open up another one: Do you guys think it's sensible to buy a 2080ti over a 2080 super to futureproof myself as best as possible, or is the difference in performance and "futureproofyness" so little that i can save myself the 400 euro price difference?
    Futureproofing is rarely worth it and buying the top-of-the-line to futureproof is basically never worth it.
    Performance per money spent goes down the higher up in the product stack you go, i.e. more expensive GPU = less performance per amount of money spent.

As of right now, it really starts to hurt your wallet once you go beyond the RX 5700XT. The RTX 2070 Super is the next closest step up at ~5-10% more performance but ~20-25% higher price. The RTX 2080, 2080 Super, and 2080TI get progressively worse on the performance per $/€ scale.

So in my opinion you get the best value by buying a GPU that's good enough for your needs right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Futureproofing is rarely worth it and buying the top-of-the-line to futureproof is basically never worth it.
    Performance per money spent goes down the higher up in the product stack you go, i.e. more expensive GPU = less performance per amount of money spent.

As of right now, it really starts to hurt your wallet once you go beyond the RX 5700XT. The RTX 2070 Super is the next closest step up at ~5-10% more performance but ~20-25% higher price. The RTX 2080, 2080 Super, and 2080TI get progressively worse on the performance per $/€ scale.

So in my opinion you get the best value by buying a GPU that's good enough for your needs right now.
    Thanks for your answer. I'm really not very knowledgeable about this stuff. I'm upgrading my pc myself for the first time ever, and i just thought that maybe buying a 1150 euro gpu now is better than buying a 700 euro one now, and another 7-800 euro one in 3 years because i'm getting unhappy with the performance.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you still game at 1080 resolution, there is no discernible reason to go above 10 series. My 1080 chews through 2k resolution quite easily as well.

I know people who are rocking like 64 gb RAM, 3850X and 2080ti with 1080 resolution monitors, it's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    If you still game at 1080 resolution, there is no discernible reason to go above 10 series. My 1080 chews through 2k resolution quite easily as well.

I know people who are rocking like 64 gb RAM, 3850X and 2080ti with 1080 resolution monitors, it's hilarious.
    Will i be able to play doom eternal and cyberpunk on highest settings at 120fps on a 1080p monitor with a 10 series card?

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Will i be able to play doom eternal and cyberpunk on highest settings at 120fps on a 1080p monitor with a 10 series card?
    "highest settings", no, because like a lot of modern AAA games, the very tippy-top settings are going to include things like Ray Tracing and lots of effects that will brutalize performance for VERY LITTLE visual gain.

At "very high settings" - I.E. ultra settings with nonsense settings that just penalize performance for almost no gain turned down - a GTX 1080 will do just fine at 1080p, probably well over 80fps, even in upcoming AAA titles.

Its not suddenly going to be a bad card.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Notice the 1080 scores roughly 15k. A 1080Ti is ~17k, and a 2080 SUPER is 19k.

Yes, those are synthetics (its a suite that anyone can run and upload their results) but its fairly accurate for comparisons sake.

Given that a 2080 SUPER can handle 4k/60/mostly Ultra, if you're sticking to 1080p, a GTX 1080 will be fine at very high settings and high framerates for at least another year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    "highest settings", no, because like a lot of modern AAA games, the very tippy-top settings are going to include things like Ray Tracing and lots of effects that will brutalize performance for VERY LITTLE visual gain.
    This basically.

As years pass, the newer game engines etc end up with ton of mostly irrelevant things on by default which obviously puts a strain on the older cards, they dont suddenly become obsolete.

Whether its DX changes or game engine itself.

DX11 was the same, forced shadows on compared to DX9, which destroyed most cards from the previous decade.

I still remember, it was either my 8800GT or GTX 260 core 216, during WoTLK alpha that they announced servers were going down to patch "New video settings" aka DX11.

Spot in Howling Fjord, 170 FPS, servers down, 1 hour after, 90-100 FPS max even with lowest setting of shadows on and if you tried to disable them with command = 0 ,you ended up with white textures, 1 FPS

It has been the same since then, engines end up with things enabled even at low settings which makes them much heavier than they should be.

I am certainly experiencing the same issue with Last Epoch and the devs in beta, 4 months ago when i bought the game, there were 30 video settings, tweaking around, you could have some decent looking textures and rather okay FPS after awhile.

Now you get like 7-10 settings to actually manage, and the rest are mostly defaulted On and my FPS has plummeted to the point i dont play the game, cause it either looks like shit, or i will have to suck it up and play with 30 FPS at moments.
    Last edited by potis; 2020-03-13 at 08:25 AM.