https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-fu...103917303.html

hopefully this is just a temporary thing...otherwise, that will suck. T.T

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    South Korea basically got "lucky" - they had MERS killing 30+ people back in 2015, so they had plans in place for next time shit hits. As a whole very commendable job and it would be nice if all governments would have effective preparation to such things, but it's also understandable that you can't prepare for everything and larger countries are truly challenged with such things.

It's one thing to close off small country like I'm in and contain the spread and it's a whole another thing to do this in US or big European countries with their vaunted healthcare system that still can't do shit against it.
    Sad yet so very true..

- - - Updated - - -

South Korea basically got "lucky" - they had MERS killing 30+ people back in 2015, so they had plans in place for next time shit hits. As a whole very commendable job and it would be nice if all governments would have effective preparation to such things, but it's also understandable that you can't prepare for everything and larger countries are truly challenged with such things.

It's one thing to close off small country like I'm in and contain the spread and it's a whole another thing to do this in US or big European countries with their vaunted healthcare system that still can't do shit against it.
    I'm also willing to bet that the US is the ONLY govt in the world with mixed signals about what to do about the virus...our govt can't seem to make up their minds.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

What to disagree there?

- "There is shortage of testing capacity worldwide."
    - BUt oNnE COunTrEE mANagEd tO Do SH1tt.

Whoa boi one country seems to be on the ball with testing - no shortage of testing capacity worldwide anymore!
    Because the majority of them pussyfooted for months on end while people in China and virologists all over the world were warning them about it.

Turns out if your nation took the coronavirus seriously like South Korea did instead of sitting on their ass and laughing about how it's just a flu, they can have sufficient testing capacity too. Woo, logic is difficult.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    My wife is a NJ teacher and Union leader, she has it on good authority that Gov Murphy will shut down all public schools this weekend. In other news Princeton/ DoEnergy is shutting down our national lab at least through the 29th. Thankfully, we both can work from home and will incur no stoppage of pay, though Princeton said even people who can't work from home, plumbers, etc... will get full pay through the stoppage.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-lau...083241679.html

So...China is apparently blaming America for CV.
    Have any of you heard about this? Just showed my gf this..she says it's fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-lau...083241679.html

So...China is apparently blaming America for CV.
    Have any of you heard about this? Just showed my gf this..she says it's fake news.
    So China is being China, what a surprise.

Lots of online forums are already pointing out while they did a good job stabilizing the situation, they are also being douchebags capitalizing on their own citizens' suffering to take potshots at other nations.

Oh, and this too.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

hmm...i find it very interesting. You don't see Xi confirming this. I'm sure he'll be pissed when he finds out.
    Last edited by Muajin76; 2020-03-13 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Its inept because piece of shit conservatives are in the US government overruling scientific reality of how novel viruses are extremely virulent. You, being a mealy mouthed conservative, have given cover to this sham of an ideology masking as an alternative to legitimate, evidence-based governance because you are too prideful to admit that you follow a destructive and regressive political persuasion.
    Can you be more explicit about which policies you think I favor that result in an inept response?

Your response strikes me as pretty wrong given that my background is in science, I've personally worked for the American federal government, still have close friends in regulatory and policy positions, and have consistently argued in favor of deference to expertise on policy topics. I don't think you'll find many people here that have that combination of scientific expertise and enthusiasm for good governance, so I really don't know what you're talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Its inept because piece of shit conservatives are in the US government overruling scientific reality of how novel viruses are extremely virulent. You, being a mealy mouthed conservative, have given cover to this sham of an ideology masking as an alternative to legitimate, evidence-based governance because you are too prideful to admit that you follow a destructive and regressive political persuasion.
    Can you be more explicit about which policies you think I favor that result in an inept response?

Your response strikes me as pretty wrong given that my background is in science, I've personally worked for the American federal government, still have close friends in regulatory and policy positions, and have consistently argued in favor of deference to expertise on policy topics. I don't think you'll find many people here that have that combination of scientific expertise and enthusiasm for good governance, so I really don't know what you're talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Because the majority of them pussyfooted for months on end while people in China and virologists all over the world were warning them about it.

Turns out if your nation took the coronavirus seriously like South Korea did instead of sitting on their ass and laughing about how it's just a flu, they can have sufficient testing capacity too. Woo, logic is difficult.
    I have already explained why South Korea was better prepared than many others - they already had this shit in 2015 just with different name, so they were ready for the next time.

This is the logic - it's not some sort of miracle there. I understand it's simple to sit on your ass telling others what they should do 4head, but things are not that simple and last thing you want is panic due to overreacting to just about everything.

This time around it's more severe than expected, but at the same time it's not a world-ending event, testing capacities will be ramped up and various reasonable restrictions will be introduced to slow the spread to stall until effective solution is introduced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    Is it possible to have CV with no cough ?

(Not talking about 14 day incubation period )
    There was a registered case of 27-day incubation period

10+ Year Old Account
    So the new thing going around the typical nutter groups is that the US Government (but only the Democrats) have been working with the media to cause panic and hysteria to take over control of the population.

Yeah that's how far into stupid we've gotten in this country.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

-snip-
    For all that excessively verbose excuse-making, the fact of the matter is, most nations took it lightly. Your nation willfully chose to take it lightly. "Well but most of everyone else are also ill-prepared" is a terrible excuse, and you should know it. What's next, if everyone else eats shit you gonna eat shit too?

Turns out if you don't prepare, you are unprepared. Woo, mind blown.

So, my sister is fairly sure she has it, as she works in an office where a confirmed case was known to have visited. She was ruled out for the flu and pneumonia, and seems to have a URI. They will not test her. She works for the county, overseeing welfare claims and fraud. Not only have they refused to test her, because her fever is intermittent, but her employer actually wants her to come in to work due to increased workload.

Meanwhile, my mother in her infinite stupidity, has made a point to be around my sister several times this week, even though she has chronic bronchitis, and was in the hospital 12 days ago with pneumonia.

10+ Year Old Account
    For all that excessively verbose excuse-making, the fact of the matter is, most nations took it lightly. Your nation willfully chose to take it lightly. "Well but most of everyone else are also ill-prepared" is a terrible excuse, and you should know it. What's next, if everyone else eats shit you gonna eat shit too?

Turns out if you don't prepare, you are unprepared. Woo, mind blown.
    My nation has whole 1 and a half international airport, quarantining arrivals and closing off our already pretty damn closed borders is peanuts here, that's why we only have 126 cases and no deaths so far.

This country has less size than average US state and we're lucky to be entering this shit with strong economy and plenty reserves, it is considerably easier for us to go ahead and do drastic measures fast.

--

Don't compare our leanness to countries 50 times our size. We can afford to toss out a decree that forces all arrivals to 14 days quarantine and when we do - international markets won't be crashing either, because we're like 9 million people who don't matter in the grand scope of things.

US and Europe on the other hand doing the same? That's much more serious shit, not something to do lightly. Even take Trump's half measures - just look at the whine and freefall that generated and it's like a fraction of what we did.

EU closing borders? That's like antithesis to the whole EU idea. Shit is not so simple for bigger players.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-03-13 at 01:22 PM.

My nation has whole 1 and a half international airport, quarantining arrivals and closing off our already pretty damn closed borders is peanuts here, that's why we only have 126 cases and no deaths so far.

This country has less size than average US state and we're lucky to be entering this shit with strong economy and plenty reserves, it is considerably easier for us to go ahead and do drastic measures fast.

Don't compare our leanness to countries 50 times our size.
    And you are missing the point again: S.Korea is prepared because they learnt from history. Granted, it's more personal to them, but it doesn't matter: the international community has had access to the records and the case studies, they know better than to just assume "it's just a flu" "China can't happen to us" and stepped up testing/treatment infrastructure earlier on.

This isn't about S.Korea doing something groundbreaking, this is about the rest of the world being complacent because they think history cannot repeat itself under the same circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, my sister is fairly sure she has it, as she works in an office where a confirmed case was known to have visited. She was ruled out for the flu and pneumonia, and seems to have a URI. They will not test her. She works for the county, overseeing welfare claims and fraud. Not only have they refused to test her, because her fever is intermittent, but her employer actually wants her to come in to work due to increased workload.

Meanwhile, my mother in her infinite stupidity, has made a point to be around my sister several times this week, even though she has chronic bronchitis, and was in the hospital 12 days ago with pneumonia.
    My condolences.

You are in a tough situation. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    My condolences.

You are in a tough situation. Take care.
    Nah, I'm fine. My sister will be fine. I just find it funny that her own employer has been pressuring her to come in, because they are understaffed at the moment. She told them to piss up a rope.

As for my mother, that's her own stupidity for making bad choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    And you are missing the point again: S.Korea is prepared because they learnt from history. Granted, it's more personal to them, but it doesn't matter: the international community has had access to the records and the case studies, they know better than to just assume "it's just a flu" "China can't happen to us" and stepped up testing/treatment infrastructure earlier on.

This isn't about S.Korea doing something groundbreaking, this is about the rest of the world being complacent because they think history cannot repeat itself under the same circumstances.
    There is a very big difference between "history" and something of the same that happened to said country just 5 years ago.

In a perfect world, all the countries will be prepared 100% to everything, but in reality - in between allocating limited resources to what is needed now and what might be needed in emergency - usually the "needed now" wins out.

Every country has its rainy day fund and capabilities, but there is limit to everything. After some shit happens you always have people like you who pop up and go with their ignorant "why didn't you prepare for this 4head", but reality is that it is difficult to sufficiently prepare for just about everything that can happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Heck, for all their preparation - you know how this shit began in Israel? South Korean tourists bringing it in - you know those from this Christian sect crap that spread it in the South Korea.

We just got lucky we have managed to catch this fast, couple more days of this going under the radar and we'd have 5 times the cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    so a lot of people around my area im talking to are mostly shrugging this off as the common cold or a slightly stronger flu or saying its not a big deal. like wtf?
    When the President of the US is playing down the official mortality rate (3.6%) and saying it's still sub 1% (which is still 10x worse than Flu mind), then this is what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    When the President of the US is playing down the official mortality rate (3.6%) and saying it's still sub 1% (which is still 10x worse than Flu mind), then this is what happens...
    Yeah, this is what frustrates me. There are several cases confirmed and more rising in the area I live in, and yet my office still hasn't made the call to work remotely from home. In the last few weeks several colleagues called out sick for 1-2 days, and then returned to the office--clearly still coughing, using tissues, etc. What many don't understand is that this strain can manifest in such a way, appearing to be only a minor flu among young populations. And at the end of each day, I have to return home where I live with my parents. My father is in his 70s....

I don't think it can be contained at this point. The reality could be that this strain will just exist going forward, coming and going during specific seasons, and periodically fading into obscurity for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    There was a registered case of 27-day incubation period
    You can pretty much ignore this one. It was 27 days from when they came into contact with someone known to have the virus, but this was in the early days and not all cases were known. The WHO has stressed that it's very likely the infection was caused by a second, unknown exposure much closer to the patient's symptomatic expression.

Studies done on COVID-19 show a mean time of 5-6 days for the incubation period with plausible outliers up to 12-14 days.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils