Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Gotta love the disgruntled WoW fans having to come to a thread about a game they don't play attempting to put it down because other people like it. I can't blame them though, this must be more fun than the boring grinding of the same stupid never ending AP/corruption/mythic/pathfinder/echoes/cloak/essence/whatever garbage/etc systems they cram into WoW to make people waste time and stay subbed longer doing menial crap. I hope the game gets fun for them one day. Anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    But the raid system is far too easy. Everything is very scripted, and once you learn the "dance" it's trivial. It doesn't ever really feel like a real RPG Style boss fight, as nothing is unpredictable.

And yes, before you scream that I need to do the crazy 30 min ultimate fight. Yes, I've tried it, and its still 100% scripted. But have cleared Savage this expac with zero issues. usually within 2 weeks tops.

The combat is still a bit slow, and again, everything you do is fairly predetermined. I wish it had more of a random factor in regards to specs, rotations, gear, etc. Everyone doing the same thing makes it feel a bit dull.
    I mean, every raid boss in every tab target MMO is literally a scripted encounter. I can't think of an MMO of this style that has bosses with adaptable AI that behaves differently every encounter or changes based on player behaviour. The most variation that ever happens is RNG picking a different player for a specific mechanic but that's that. I'm not sure what the issue is, maybe what you are looking for is PvP. Though FFXIV is not the place to go for PvP if you want to go hardcore at it.

And yeah, Jobs are predetermined. There's one correct way to play it and no variations. I mean that's true for every MMO as well, there's a specific build that will be the best performing one but at least in other MMOs you get to pick an under performing build if you feel like it for whatever reason. There's no options for customization of gameplay in FFXIV and I doubt there'll ever be since this isn't a raid or die game. I share in your disappointment in that regard.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    Gotta love the disgruntled WoW fans having to come to a thread about a game they don't play attempting to put it down because other people like it. I can't blame them though, this must be more fun than the boring grinding of the same stupid never ending AP/corruption/mythic/pathfinder/echoes/cloak/essence/whatever garbage/etc systems they cram into WoW to make people waste time and stay subbed longer doing menial crap. I hope the game gets fun for them one day. Anyway.

I mean, every raid boss in every tab target MMO is literally a scripted encounter. I can't think of an MMO of this style that has bosses with adaptable AI that behaves differently every encounter or changes based on player behaviour. The most variation that ever happens is RNG picking a different player for a specific mechanic but that's that. I'm not sure what the issue is, maybe what you are looking for is PvP. Though FFXIV is not the place to go for PvP if you want to go hardcore at it.

And yeah, Jobs are predetermined. There's one correct way to play it and no variations. I mean that's true for every MMO as well, there's a specific build that will be the best performing one but at least in other MMOs you get to pick an under performing build if you feel like it for whatever reason. There's no options for customization of gameplay in FFXIV and I doubt there'll ever be since this isn't a raid or die game. I share in your disappointment in that regard.

Haha, just had to point out how incredibly ironic that part of your post was. I assume your conclusion is that it's okay for them to come to this thread and try to "put it down", then, since you're doing the same thing about their game in a thread dedicated to a different game? Logic. Let's try to use that in the future, ye?

Anyway. Personally I'm a big fan of previous FF games (7, 9, 10 are my favs) but FFXIV.. I don't know. The user interface makes me vomit, the graphics are off-putting (kinda like Rift was, but not as bad though. It just looks kinda.. bland? Sort of like, cartoonish-realistic but at the same time a bit bland. And it's annoying that it's REALLY obvious that it's an game made in Asia, if you know what I mean) and (probably due to the horrible UI) it was confusing as to what exactly I was supposed to do. It's probably a good game and all but when something as simple as the UI looks bad, and its something I have to look at 24/7 when playing, it's just not going to work.
    Hi

I'd say I have at least half a hunch of what the game offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevstar View Post
    Howdy all,

Have just started in this game and I gotta say outstanding work by the team.

The game is absolutely gorgeous and runs amazing!

The game is probably 1 of the best optimized mmos on the market - I currently run a 120hz 3440x1440p with a 3900x and msi gaming trio x 2080 super and hardly ever see the game drop any lower then 115fps with all settings maxed out.

Just a little pat on the back for the ffxiv team.

Cheers and have a good day all.
    As a LONG time (since beta) WoW player, you're absolutely right. FFXIV is incredible.

Glad you are having fun!
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

10+ Year Old Account
    FFXIV is definitely the best MMO on the market right now and honestly I'm enjoying Shadowbringers almost as much as I enjoyed Wrath of the Lich King. The game definitely has problems, but those problems don't really affect me enough to detract from what the game does right.

I will say I think FFXIV has the problem of being too predictable and WoW has the problem of being too unpredictable. Fortunately FFXIV's formula works for me.

I've given the game a try twice now and it just doesn't keep me engaged. The story was not very interesting to me, and like some have said here, combat is really slow and clunky. But to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I will say I think FFXIV has the problem of being too predictable and WoW has the problem of being too unpredictable. Fortunately FFXIV's formula works for me.
    It also has the problem of having little to no choises when it comes to building a character and pvp that is worse than a barbwire wedgie.

Oh please plenty of us have played the game for quite a while and have legitimate issues with FF14. But I guess I can turn this the other way as well and say I love people relatively new to FF14 who are blinded by the new game smell and are fine with the game releasing 2 half finished races that still can't wear helmets added in the very expansion that added them (something Blizz would hear no end of shit over) and overall adding less and less content with each expansions patch cycle with very little in return. Sure we get plenty of flash in the pan content like BLU and ocean fishing which is played for the first 2-3 weeks till people get the rewards and said content is mostly forgotten about instead of actual meaningful repeatable content. And let's not pretend Square doesn't do the same shit to drag out subs. Let's look at 5.2 and the content that is timegated out for almost 2 months and that's what it is, a timegate (the very thing many give Blizz shit for) to draw out subs and, most likely, let them finish content that they probably are behind on developing just like how Eureka got delayed multiple times in SB. So please go and keep acting like Square is doing everything so much better while ignoring that both Blizzard and Square do much of the same shit and there's nothing wrong with some of us expecting more from both multi billion dollar companies.
    Last edited by leviathonlx; 2020-03-25 at 11:54 PM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    That's cute. The grind must really be boring some of these people up.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    It also has the problem of having little to no choises when it comes to building a character and pvp that is worse than a barbwire wedgie.
    You say that but everyone in WoW has the same build anyways. I'd say the classes are way better designed in FFXIV overall. As for PVP, I don't particularly care for PVP in any MMO so it doesn't bother me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried it a bit but the map is a bit hard to navigate. If someone has any suggestions on how to get around better and to know where to go then feel free to tell me. The story looks interesting though.

I tried the game, just couldn't get into it, and i actually like final fantasy.. but the combat in that mmo felt lifeless. As if it has no impact. so once my sub ran out i uninstalled and haven't even thought of the game anymore. Not my cup of tea i suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    I tried the game, just couldn't get into it, and i actually like final fantasy.. but the combat in that mmo felt lifeless. As if it has no impact. so once my sub ran out i uninstalled and haven't even thought of the game anymore. Not my cup of tea i suppose.
    Yeah unfortunately the new player experience isn't great. Around level 60 is when the classes really start coming into their own and at 80 they all feel really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Yeah unfortunately the new player experience isn't great. Around level 60 is when the classes really start coming into their own and at 80 they all feel really good.
    Have they cut down the spell bloat? The combat felt slow like I was just queuing up spells and waiting. The spells felt unimpactful. I've subbed a few xpacs and got to max level to bored really fast.

It feels refreshing each time then I quit pretty quick.

FFXIV was... meh to me. The only game that, sadly, ever came close to recapturing what WoW once was to me was Rift.

Combat in FFXIV was just clunky (perhaps better word is slow?) as fuck.

Uh no. Sorry friend, I disagree. Most encounters in wow have mechanics, and only a "few" scripted events. So at any given point, it can do any number of different mechanics. It isn't scripted to the point its doing the exact same thing, over and over and over no matter how many attempts you have. GW2 is also nowhere near scripted in their raids, they're honestly quite chaotic and I wish they would be more scripted. Ironic I know.

And again no. Looking at the top dps specs, there are variations between almost all of them. Gear preferences, talents, etc. I'm going with WoW as an example of that. But even with Aff specific warlocks, there are talent and gear variations. To where in FFXIV, you are that class, you are this spec, end.

I have unsubbed for the first time since heavensward. I just can't care for the story or any character anymore. And once the story is taken out of the equation, there is very little the game offers, that I can't get in any other MMO.

15+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the game. I'm glad you're enjoying it. The team has come a long way with the game over the years and Shadowbringers really stood out as the best MMO story I've seen in almost 20 years of playing MMOs. Don't worry about rushing your way to end game. There's plenty of good story along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevstar View Post
    Howdy all,

Have just started in this game and I gotta say outstanding work by the team.

The game is absolutely gorgeous and runs amazing!

The game is probably 1 of the best optimized mmos on the market - I currently run a 120hz 3440x1440p with a 3900x and msi gaming trio x 2080 super and hardly ever see the game drop any lower then 115fps with all settings maxed out.

Just a little pat on the back for the ffxiv team.

Cheers and have a good day all.
    No.

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by sephrinx View Post
    FFXIV is extraordinarily mediocre at everything it does. The combat is awful, the lag is insane (getting hit by stuff you've moved out of the telegraph for, skill delay, etc), the menu and ui systems are convoluted and unintuitive, especially the map system. The dungeons are mediocre at best and a snoozefest at worse.

There are millions of loading screens as well. There is no room for loading screens in an MMO. It makes it feel so disjointed and artificial. You should only load the game once, or when you enter an instance, or when you load into an entirely new continent or something. Not 39 times in the same zone going from area to area. Absolutely ludicrous.

I could rant for a long time about this game, but I won't because I'm hungry and am going to eat.
    getting hit by telegraphs is not really a lag issues it's a player issue. and most mmos that came out recently have loading screens. even travelling around wow has loading screens. you don't go from zandalar to northrend with no loading.