Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Well, with shadowlands they are creating new lore not based on any pre-established games or stories and they could bring back any dead person they so choose, rehash old stories etc. Big old can of retcon worms opened up here.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    The only thing that will stop wow is the end of the universe, and even after that it will probably still be up.
    I guess the universe could just restart too after it's been destroyed

Hell, it could even be reset multiple times
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

The moment it stops making money. But as we have seen recently they won't do that as long as the production/upkeep to profit is still leaning the right way. So oops we exhausted the lore, heres a new power tier of fan fic'y void lords who are the real big bads, and we mean it this time swer on me mum!

In media terms this is called "Zombie IP Syndrome". Either the story wraps up or main actors/writers leave and in some way the product has reached a natural conclusion point. But because its still making money its power creeped out to a new tier of bad guys to try and keep it going or it simply just replaces the staff and suffers a massive decline but keeps going anyway.

In TV terms the most obvious examples are The Simpsons, Stargate and The Walking Dead. In videogames its far less common and its rare for long term profitability to keep a prolonged live service format game profitable enough to keep going. WoW is a standout but Its not to see a post Legion/Sargeras experience as "Yeah we beat all the Gou'ld now heres the Ori who are the even more powerful villains!" style zombie IP fuel.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Honestly I think the difference between Everquest and WoW is that Everquest was made and published by a studio that is more forgiving to its market audience, while wow is not.

As a result, I would NOT be surprised if Activision starts taking the idea of a WoW 2 more seriously very soon, Infact I am betting on it given Overwatch barely had a lifetime and OW2 is now a thing.

They were probably banking on the reception of WC3 to see if WC4 was a viable option, instead I think they'll just skip WC4 and go straight into WoW 2.
    Exactly. Overwatch has only been around for a few years, and it now has a second game. That means Blizzard must be thinking about making sequels to games, right? Who's not to say they're just waiting to make another WoW?

- Previous themes such as the alliance/horde war have become both stale and dead, WoW 2 is actually better for the idea of making a fresher ground feel without the faction war or with new factions to replace the current two with a more philosophical conflict over a racial one.

- This is basically the finale of Sylvanas and in many ways the war between alliance and horde aswell as the general theme of conflict in general, this is a good expansion to finish the cycle while breeding new seeds for future antagonists.

- We've grown up with chars like Anduin for years, we need a new cast of characters, individuals and people to freshen the world up a bit.
    The faction war continuing/starting again has gotten ridiculous by this point. The Alliance and Horde have both shown that they are able to work together without tearing each other apart, so it's time for then to stop fighting.

I noticed that 'older' characters are starting to get killed off/move out of the story for a while.
    Some have died that really shouldn't have (Rastakhan, Vol'jin), only to be replaced by 'newer' characters.
    Of course YMMV, but that's my opinion on it

- Love or hate Azerite, Artifact power and Corruption you cannot disagree that they have done so much damage to the games over all enjoyment factor, along with titanforging, and the removal of flying at launch.

- The game takes alot away, but adds very little back except more grinding and more time sincs, many of which become irrelevent content by a .2 patch, we need a fresh take on the game to actually allow the devs to work on something from scratch as opposed to shattering the games already fragile systems again and again.
    I'd like to see an expansion where flying can be brought normally tbh. Seems to be that the current team doesn't like that idea though.

- No, I actually think WoW 2 can only help WoW 1, WoW classic and WoW itself are in a bad place, they are not attracting new players, most of the people playing wow these days are nostlagic old mmo gamers or people who played years ago returning to their old nostalgia. A WoW sequel will add a new generation of players and appeal to younger audiences like the old game once did.

- WoW wont die because of that very reason, it has a loyal but old fanbase, it will take many expansions for it to eventually fade to a point the company can no longer sustain it but I think we'll see classic servers die before we see the live thing do the same.

Blizzard has, tried to expand wow's engine over the years but it has only gone so far, and I honestly do think that by the next expansion after Shadowlands, it will hit its absoleute limit, so this is actually a bigger reason why WoW 2 not only will happen, but probably has to.
    WoW could use a fresh start. I think WoW 2 is the way to do that but on a different game engine

I think if WoW finally dies, they'll just put it in 'stasis' and still let you play it, but you probably won't have to pay monthly for it.

Not sure what engine WoW was made on, but it's defiantly dated by now. The game itself looks dated.
    If I go to an older zone like Ogrimmar or Ashenvale, I find my Zandalari looks more realistic and modern than the world around her.
    While going to new zones such as Nazmir and Drustvar look up to date and she looks like she belongs there, instead of being a more detailed cutout against a
    drab background.

I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to give cites such as Stormwind or Orgimmar updates. Some really need them (Silvermoon, Exodar)

Anyways, that's all I have to say for now. Might update this later when I think of other things to say lol
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Yes the universe will also end, have you never heard of the heat death to the universe?
    the universe doesnt die what you mean is our solar system which is only a SMALL part of the universe.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    the universe doesnt die what you mean is our solar system which is only a SMALL part of the universe.
    uhhh what?
    I think you are confusing heat death of the universe.
    of our sun consuming our solar system and then dying off.

maybe do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    Yes, when wow 2 comes out
    so never it is. thank you

so never it is. thank you
    nah wow 2 comes out right after half life 3

7+ Year Old Account
    but half life 3 has come out...
    its just a prequel.

we understood that you meant NEVER the first time.....

I think it'll eventually stop being developed, although I imagine it'll say online and playable for decades.

People often bring up EQ, which is still pumping out expansions, as an example of an ancient game still coming out with new content, but I think the audience of WoW will eventually demand something bigger and better. We may have already passed that point. I don't necessarily think a "WoW 2" or, more likely, a different type of Warcraft-branded game, will be happening soon, as there's content for at least 5 more expansions without wholesale pulling new enemies and lands out of thin air, but I think Blizzard would be more than happy to develop the Warcraft brand beyond WoW as soon as the audience demands it.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Wrong! it will go on forever just like eq.

PS: claiming wow will end because of GREED is stupid because if its greed you want you dont end wow which brings in billions each year....

- - - Updated - - -

The Universe wants to have a word with you...
    greed doesn't kill the story... it kills the desire people have to play... are you that blind to greedy corporate practices that you've never seen a game fail because of its business model?

but half life 3 has come out...
    its just a prequel.
    that would make it half life 0

7+ Year Old Account
    that would make it half life 0
    its between 1 and 2.
    its half life 1.5
    but in the series of releases, it is the third half life game to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Think about it. A lot of 'mysteries' and things we haven't seen yet until now have been covered, and eventually, all of Azeroth will have been 'explored' story-wise, so to speak. There might not be anything left to make an entire expansion for, and maybe Blizzard will just release patches for the game?

But then I think of games like Runescape and Everquest which have had like 20 or so (might not be 100% correct) expacs, and as far as I know they're still going strong. I guess the WoW universe could be 'rebooted' the way that FF11 was remade as FF14? Could a WoW 2 be eventually made? Will the expansion after Shadowlands be the last before WoW is finally done?
    Yes, no and maybe. Who knows.

its between 1 and 2.
    its half life 1.5
    but in the series of releases, it is the third half life game to come out.
    if its half life 1.5 then its not half life 3. the game can not be in a super position

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Think about it. A lot of 'mysteries' and things we haven't seen yet until now have been covered, and eventually, all of Azeroth will have been 'explored' story-wise, so to speak. There might not be anything left to make an entire expansion for, and maybe Blizzard will just release patches for the game?

But then I think of games like Runescape and Everquest which have had like 20 or so (might not be 100% correct) expacs, and as far as I know they're still going strong. I guess the WoW universe could be 'rebooted' the way that FF11 was remade as FF14? Could a WoW 2 be eventually made? Will the expansion after Shadowlands be the last before WoW is finally done?
    Realistically? Yes, but there will be a small portion of hardcore players that will keep the game alive. Majority of the players will move on to newer and more modern games. I don't think this will happen anytime sooner, probably in 10 to 20 years though. So, yeah WoW still have a lot of life to it.
    Check out my drones guide!

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything ends, so yes.
    But not for at least a couple years.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

It'll prob go the way of ffxi where xiv comes out with a new story, better graphics, and cross platform play but its also blizzard so it will probably a shiny turd we try because of that blue blizzard logo.

Yes, but not by lore shortage.

While the quality of said lore is up for debate, it is a silly concept to think that a game which was made based on lore created on the spot can suddenly no longer make up new lore on the spot.