Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Affliction changes announcement

Sound awful.

Maelific rupture is going to be a crappy maintenance buff like improved lifetap.
    Soul wrack is just maelific grasp back again.

And lol, you're not even close to fixing affliction AOE by adding a seed to the sow the seeds talent that nobody takes because SoC is useless.

Affliction is by far the most boring spec (and this is from someone who has two 120 Warlocks, Destro/Demonoogy) and you're right, AOE is non-existent so they better not sit on their hands on Affliction if class design is a focus at the expense of getting no new class.

Holy. Talk about whining for the sake of whining.

Rupture takes the place of current Unstable Affliction, as a debuff to buff your DoT's.

Soul wrack can be (and malefic grasp was) awesome for single target. MILES better than just spamming shadow bolt, which, honestly, is just something to keep you from falling asleep, because shadowbolt's damage is laughable. If Soul Wreck functions like I imagine, then it will shorten the time your DoTs are on the target, meaning you can apply them earlier again. This effectively means that your Dots are shorter but tick harder on ST, while you can still juggle your DoTs with their original length on multi target fights.

Have you played Legion? They are reverting sow the Seeds back to Legion functionality. And in Legion it hit HARD. So no need for tears here, it will be fine.

Affliction has been shit since the removal of dot snapshotting. Also, no metamorphosis back for demonology means no sub from me.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    If Soul Wreck functions like I imagine, then it will shorten the time your DoTs are on the target, meaning you can apply them earlier again.
    Sounds horrible - just continually recasting DOTS like they're nukes doesn't sound fun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaWarlock View Post
    Sounds horrible - just continually recasting DOTS like they're nukes doesn't sound fun at all.
    Maybe Affliction is not the right spec for you then. I mean, what do you want them to do? Make you cast shadowbolt more?
    Affliction is THE DoT spec. Any spell that interacts with your DoTs is a win in my book.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sound awful.

Maelific rupture is going to be a crappy maintenance buff like improved lifetap.
    Soul wrack is just maelific grasp back again.

And lol, you're not even close to fixing affliction AOE by adding a seed to the sow the seeds talent that nobody takes because SoC is useless.
    1. lol what? its fucking great, what you talking about?
    2. again great
    3. "adding a buff to a talent no ones takes cause it needs a buff" wut. the talent is not used currently... cause your right.. its usless... its bad... it needs a buff.. and they are buffing it... but your reason for the buff being bad... is cause the current... talent is bad... thats why its being buffed...
    what the fuck?

- - - Updated - - -

THAT HAS LITERALLY BEEN THE SPEC LIKE FOREVER MY DUDE WHAT!?
    "I dont like recasting dots, but i want to play affliction" thats is literally affliction, next your gunna say "i dont like having to deal with big crits, but i wanna play destro and fire mage"
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

They removed mention of the malefic grasp like ability from the official post =\

I try not to respond to Felplague posts because.. well you're unique and clearly inexperienced as a warlock, but I guess I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    1. lol what? its fucking great, what you talking about?
    "
    Improved LT wasn't great. There is nothing fun about having to recast a maintenance buff every 10 15 seconds. But if you're the type of warlock that loved having to keep up improved LT, then there's no arguing with you.

the talent is not used currently... cause your right.. its usless... its bad
    I realise that reading comprehension is a bit difficult, but adding an extra seed to a talent that's still bad, to a spell that isn't changed mechanically so is also still bad... I can't think of any time in BFA I've thought "gee i wish sow the seeds had an extra seed, that will fix my awful AOE" - what use is an additional seed, SoC is still awful and it still wont fix our AOE before every other class has facerolled their instant superpowered AOE and killed everything.

"I dont like recasting dots, but i want to play affliction" thats is literally affliction
    I assume you're being purposely obtuse, but I like dots doing their damage over time. I don't want to be continually recasting my dots because they have been accelerated so much they are lasting only slightly longer than the cast time of a shadowbolt, fireball etc. Otherwise, what is the point, if my corruption only ends up lasting 4 or 5 seconds they may as well just be a nuke.

All I want from affliction is to be able to debuff and dot the target, nuke it inbetween. You know, how affliction was for at least 10 years. Think sm/ruin.

Improved LT wasn't great. There is nothing fun about having to recast a maintenance buff every 10 15 seconds. But if you're the type of warlock that loved having to keep up improved LT, then there's no arguing with you.
    Nobody said improved lifetap was great. But malefic rupture does not seem like that. It seems more like a CD to me.

I realise that reading comprehension is a bit difficult, but adding an extra seed to a talent that's still bad, to a spell that isn't changed mechanically so is also still bad... I can't think of any time in BFA I've thought "gee i wish sow the seeds had an extra seed, that will fix my awful AOE" - what use is an additional seed, SoC is still awful and it still wont fix our AOE before every other class has facerolled their instant superpowered AOE and killed everything.
    Again. Did you play Legion, where we had the exact same talent and it was great? A 100% buff to a talent (and a 50% buff to your SoC) is not something you can ignore.

I assume you're being purposely obtuse, but I like dots doing their damage over time. I don't want to be continually recasting my dots because they have been accelerated so much they are lasting only slightly longer than the cast time of a shadowbolt, fireball etc. Otherwise, what is the point, if my corruption only ends up lasting 4 or 5 seconds they may as well just be a nuke.

All I want from affliction is to be able to debuff and dot the target, nuke it inbetween. You know, how affliction was for at least 10 years. Think sm/ruin.
    When were those years? I count, at most and being generous, 6 years. Vanilla Affliction was non existant, TBC to Cata were those 6 years (albeit "nuking" is somewhat of an overstatement). In MoP your Dots were nukes and you had MG, which you aer whining about. WoD removed snapshotting, but remained similar to MoP. Legion gave you stackable UA, which again, was a nuke. Only BfA made your dream come true: Dots that did no damage outside of a 15 second burst window every two minutes. And your damage came, again, from UA while the observer was active. (the last part was sarcasm).

SL makes UA a real DoT again. Shadowbolt nuking was never a thing for an affliction warlock, because if Shadowbolt is a nuke, you don't need to play affliction. If you don't want to deal with DoTs, then again, Affliction is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavian View Post
    They removed mention of the malefic grasp like ability from the official post =\
    Yeah, wonder what that's about. Things really changing that fast? :s

Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    Yeah, wonder what that's about. Things really changing that fast? :s
    I think Malefic rupture and Soul wreck could be the same ability. Here the original post:

Soul Wrack is a new channeled ability that ravages the foe’s spirit, empowering Warlocks’ periodic spells to deal a significant amount of bonus damage to an enemy afflicted by this dark magic. Affliction Warlocks can exacerbate the malaise they sow with Malefic Rapture, a new ability that causes their periodic spells to tick significantly faster while the victim is suffering from the malady.
    And here the new one:

Affliction Warlocks can exacerbate the malaise they sow with Malefic Rapture, a new ability that deals damage to all enemies afflicted by their periodic spells (increased for each periodic effect on the target).
    Notice how the wording changed from single targets to all enemies. If I'm guessing correctly then the new Malefic rupture will either be a CD and deal heavy damage to all enemies afflicted by DoTs (hopefully not) or it will be an AoE Soul Wrack, meaning a channeled ability that emplifies your DoTs on all enemies.

But yeah, such a sudden change is strange. Hopefully that means that the Devs are more willing to listen to feedback this time and don't have a definite plan, which they force through despite the resistance. It seems like they are in the experimentation phase right now and that's the time where feedback is the most important.

I think Malefic rupture and Soul wreck could be the same ability. Here the original post:

And here the new one:

Notice how the wording changed from single targets to all enemies. If I'm guessing correctly then the new Malefic rupture will either be a CD and deal heavy damage to all enemies afflicted by DoTs (hopefully not) or it will be an AoE Soul Wrack, meaning a channeled ability that emplifies your DoTs on all enemies.

But yeah, such a sudden change is strange. Hopefully that means that the Devs are more willing to listen to feedback this time and don't have a definite plan, which they force through despite the resistance. It seems like they are in the experimentation phase right now and that's the time where feedback is the most important.
    I saw many outright wrong things in the whole blog post tbh (that Dark Pact is a damage ability for example), maybe the writer also confused one iteration with the updated one or something.

I saw many outright wrong things in the whole blog post tbh (that Dark Pact is a damage ability for example), maybe the writer also confused one iteration with the updated one or something.
    Yeah, dark pact irritated me as well. But it's corrected now. Weird though how they emphasize this talent for demonology. It's not like a slightly bigger shield (hopefully, most likely making dark pact scale with SP is a hidden nerf) would be a big selling point for anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Happy about the UA change at least.

Yeah, dark pact irritated me as well. But it's corrected now. Weird though how they emphasize this talent for demonology. It's not like a slightly bigger shield (hopefully, most likely making dark pact scale with SP is a hidden nerf) would be a big selling point for anyone.
    True. Hopefully there's at least some cosmetic changes coming like new demon glyphs etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by meekus View Post
    Happy about the UA change at least.
    Agreed.

Affliction felt kinda bare bones this expansion. Especially since coming from Legion.

Im guessing where affliction is going to spend the soul shards if UA gets its cost removed.
    Last edited by Shandalar; 2020-04-08 at 03:18 PM.

Malefic Rapture (Rupture?) sounds like Demonwrath for dots. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
    "Warlocks are the class that gives

we give all our spells and abilities to other classes"

- Bamboozer, from the Official WoW Warlock Forum

7+ Year Old Account
    or dark pact may be gone
    or dark pact may be renamed, and a new ability is called dark pact
    or dark pact is renamed and a current ability is now called dark pact
    when you work on something for so long its hard to remember what is new and what isnt, why they miss stuff in patch notes sometimes "oh that was something we added and not something that was in before? oh..."
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Corruption Corrupts the target, causing (63%78.75% of Spell power) Shadow damage over 14 sec.
    Now available to all specs
    Cast Time changed from Instant to 2 sec cast

L
    M
    A
    O