Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Shadowlands: Adventure Awaits in the New Starting Experience

Shadowlands: Adventure Awaits in the New Starting Experience
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Adventure awaits in Azeroth in an all-new starting experience arriving with Shadowlands. Available to both veteran players and new, this introductory excursion is a great way to begin forging your path through the world.

An expedition has gone missing, and you have been called to be a part of a new crew of novice adventurers charged with discovering what’s become of them. As with many such journeys, you’ll find yourself as part of a crew aboard a ship bound to their last known location. When things take a turn for the worse, you’ll make landfall on the island of Exile’s Reach.

It’s here that you’ll begin to face the challenges the island presents, each increasing in difficulty as you work your way through your first 10 levels. As you progress, you’ll begin to learn more about using the new skills and abilities at your disposal.

At the culmination of your adventure, you’ll face two new bosses in a “mini-dungeon” designed for 1 to 5 players.

Learning New Skills

This new experience is carefully crafted to teach you a variety of skills needed to be successful in Azeroth and beyond.

As you make your way through Exile's Reach, you’ll learn all about the fundamentals of playing World of Warcraft, while also diving into some of the most important mechanics for your chosen class. Warriors will learn the essentials of a good Charge; Rogues will go through the gauntlet of proper use of combo points; while Hunters will learn how to tame and stable their pets.

Along the way, you’ll encounter new allies in Exile's Reach who are willing to teach you more abilities for your class. Paladins will encounter the ghost of a former paladin willing to teach them Divine Shield, while Monks will receive guidance through meditation to learn Touch of Death.

These fundamentals are the building blocks you’ll need to take on the many challenges waiting in Azeroth, and will help you along the path to success—wherever your adventure takes you.

For New Players

If you’re new to World of Warcraft and have never created or leveled a character, you will automatically begin your journey into Azeroth with the starting experience—helping you learn the basics of your class and the fundamentals of interacting with the world you’ve become a part of.

After completing the adventure, you’ll move into Battle for Azeroth, where you’ll be able to level through the expansion to level 50 before moving on into the Shadowlands.

For Veteran Players

If you’re a veteran player or you’ve leveled a character before, you can choose to opt out of the starting experience and begin instead at level 1 in the starting area for your race. Upon reaching level 10, you can either continue into Battle for Azeroth or speak with Chromie to choose the expansion that you’d like to continue leveling in before you enter Shadowlands at level 50. Players with Allied race characters, Death Knights and Demon Hunters will automatically begin at level 10 and play through their own starting experience.

We look forward to hearing what you think as you play through* this new experience in the future. Join the discussion on the forums.

*Testing only available to level 1 Alliance characters.

I can't imagine it not being jarring having to go from this - assuming it's good for what it is - then to the rest of the world.

I hate WoW, I know every expansion is a waste of my money and I will be ultimately disappointed, but every time I see a wall of blue text and some fucking screenshots of new environments I get excited like I'm 8 and discovering Warcraft 2 all over again.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    I can't imagine it not being jarring having to go from this - assuming it's good for what it is - then to the rest of the world.
    thing is you will go from this to BFA.
    once you have done that, you then have the option to go to the other starting zones, and other zones on your alts
    new players wil be told "here is the most up to date stuff, if you want to go back and see the rest you can do it now, or on some alts"
    While veteren players will already know.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

A bit confusing that there are Highmaul like ruins on Azeroth :O

Blizzard already has a dozen starting zones meant to introduce new players, hence the term "starting zone", that is supposed to teach new players (and old) how to play each class, the game mechanics, and how questing works, but here they are re-inventing the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Aestholus View Post
    The highmaul that created the structures on Azeroth probably came around the time the orcs invaded azeroth through the dark portal.

Forcing people to level thru BfA is garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Blizzard already has a dozen starting zones meant to introduce new players, hence the term "starting zone", that is supposed to teach new players (and old) how to play each class, the game mechanics, and how questing works, but here they are re-inventing the wheel.
    What have you ever learned about wow gameplay by questing, when you were new?

There is no starting zone designated to introduce new players to the basics of the game. Most of them are also an outdated, uninspiring mess that could never be used to convince a friend to keep playing wow in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by JansenGaming View Post
    The highmaul that created the structures on Azeroth probably came around the time the orcs invaded azeroth through the dark portal.
    Those starting zones do a really poor job at teaching players how to play the game though. And the trial thing when you boost a character isn't much better, so I understand what blizzard is trying to do here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I disagree. If you are brand new to the game its feels very disjointed and hard to follow. Most starting zones were designed 15 years ago and teach you nothing. Then you have to figure out where to go to get to tbc, wotlk, cata and so forth and the story just doesnt make sense. I havent leveled a new char in years and I just started one as a Worgen and it does not flow smoothly at all. I cant even imagine what its like for someone who has never played. This is a needed change for the game.

I wonder how this will work for the other starting zones... at what point do they reach level 10? For instance after completing all of Elwynn Forest ? Or after Completing Northshire Abbey?

Also think it’s a shame they are forcing new level 10’s to go do things like... Nazmir and Stormsong Valley. On the other hand it’s probably still a better experience than doing the Barrens.

This also makes me think I wonder how they’ll make it fair for pace... For instance going from level 10-50 via Zulduzar > Vol’dun > Nazmir must be a lot faster than say... Barrens > Ashenvale > Desolace > Thousand Needles > Feralas > Tanaris > Un’goro > Blasted Lands.

Wait, is that an Ogron? is how you say it? why and how there is one in azeroth? did they come with the maghar?

guess it could means a lot of shit came from draenor, and maybe potential allied races as well, like Saberons and ogres

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Will people be locked behind their choice of expansion for leveling? I love some Outlands locations to level in, but not wanna stay there for Shadowmoon Valley. I hope its not the case and we can go wherever we want like we do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Von Vitzthum View Post
    Wait, is that an Ogron? is how you say it? why and how there is one in azeroth? did they come with the maghar?

guess it could means a lot of shit came from draenor, and maybe potential allied races as well, like Saberons and ogres
    a -bunch- of mag'har came over to Azeroth according to devs, including the ogres, ogron, botani and other creatures from draenor.

Quote Originally Posted by JansenGaming View Post
    I mean its just Orge architecture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Curious how mount training will work. If I decide to go to Northrend at LVL 10, probably gunna need to be able to fly at some point. Also you're supposed to level from 10-50 in one expansion?? Jesus that would be like leveling every 10 quests

And another thing. I was real goddamn confused last night when I went to get some medium leather for a friend and was like uhh, everything is scaled up to 60, what drops medium... Now you'll have every mob in the game minus Shadowlands scaled up to 50 with them dropping dozens of different mats. That's confusing.
    Last edited by Taurous; 2020-04-08 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aestholus View Post
    Why? Isn't it obvious all life in the Azeroth universe is seeded from Ogres.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    Will people be locked behind their choice of expansion for leveling? I love some Outlands locations to level in, but not wanna stay there for Shadowmoon Valley. I hope its not the case and we can go wherever we want like we do now.
    Curious if it'll apply to what instances you can queue for in the group-finder as well.

Still need clarification on how they'll squish levels as well. Everything not at max becomes level 10 or what's the plan?
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Von Vitzthum View Post

I thought the same, if they came with the maghar, saberon and botani (but we never saw them), is all nice and good but if this is an overlook by Blizzard is kind of lame

EDIT: at least there are 2 ogron on orgrimmar gate
    Last edited by Mikhas; 2020-04-08 at 05:51 PM.