Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    the reason it was removed was because people macroed stances into abilities, if they bring them back the same thing would happen again

Blademaster
    3+ Year Old Account
    Dear god fuck no, that's a terrible design and bad suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Unfortunately the majority of the game's population are just too mentally ineffective to stance dance
    sure thing bro, making macros is hard

As much fun as I have stance dancing, it's an inferior mechanic better off gone. It's not really a skill mechanic either and only leads to people creating macros for all their abilities that are aproximately:

Cast [form:0,2] Battle Stance
    Cast Charge

But on every ability that its needed.

Then have a separate button to swap them independent of an ability.
    Then have a sword and board/2H Macro.

Really wasn't much skill involved. What separated good warriors from bad is if they were a tentative enough to actually use non defense stance abilities while tanking, or if they would use defensive abilities to off tank. The actually swapping of stances doesnt require skill, it just requires not being lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    sure thing bro, making macros is hard
    Half the population doesn't even know what a macro is and get confused when you say #showtooltip.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Half the population doesn't even know what a macro is and get confused when you say #showtooltip.
    becuase macros arent needed to play any class, if blizzard brings back stance dance, every guide in the world will have macros for stance dancing and everyones gonna copy/paste them

and at that point, might aswell not even have stances, hence why they got removed years ago

Quote Originally Posted by dunhildas View Post
    Well, the only Warriors that don't want it back are the failures of their class, or the ones that have a problem with their Eye–hand coordination, you need to be decent at playing a Warrior to be able to stance dance.
    Nah, you just need a lot of patience to put up with a tedious and unfun mechanic.

Gladiator Stance. Nothing else, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkthugal View Post
    Said no warrior, ever.
    You mean new warriors. Stance dancing was fun as shit back in the day that’s what separates good warriors from bad

Stances add nothing but just another button to press just to do something when no other class has to.

becuase macros arent needed to play any class, if blizzard brings back stance dance, every guide in the world will have macros for stance dancing and everyones gonna copy/paste them
    Wouldn't the better solution be that the game just automatically switches your stance if you use skill that requires another stance?
    and at that point, might aswell not even have stances, hence why they got removed years ago
    More likely reason is that they wanted to dumb down decision making in this game and make it more ARPG. If you think warriors in for example TBC, where it's pretty important to be in right stance in right situation. The problem here is that people get punished for being in wrong stance and that can feel bad for weaker players.

Personally I don't think they should bring stances back since it's different game now and the ones who loved the old stances can play TBC "soonish". Though I'd like to see using shield as defensive resource to make comeback. I think it's always good for the game when you can trade some of your damage for defense. Obviously one big problem here is that you need macros to switch shield, but maybe they could come up with some UI design where you can preselect 1h & shield you want to use and give a skill that equips them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sammonoske View Post
    when no other class has to.
    Because every class has to play the same way? Great argument. Also stances add decision making if it matters which stance you are in.

The only thing stance dancing would bring back would be all the warrior macros I deleted ages ago. Only in vanilla did I think it was something that required skill, and it was mostly because I was awful at the game, being new and all, and because I didn't know macros (I knew ABOUT macros, and how to make macros in FFXI, but I didn't know how they worked in WoW).

I'm not opposed to stances themselves existing, providing a passive buff, like DKs had with their presences. But the current way specs are severely limit their usefulness and they'd be mostly a niche thing.
    Last edited by Biske; 2020-04-18 at 11:31 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

Quote Originally Posted by dzd View Post
    Wouldn't the better solution be that the game just automatically switches your stance if you use skill that requires another stance?

More likely reason is that they wanted to dumb down decision making in this game and make it more ARPG. If you think warriors in for example TBC, where it's pretty important to be in right stance in right situation. The problem here is that people get punished for being in wrong stance and that can feel bad for weaker players.

Personally I don't think they should bring stances back since it's different game now and the ones who loved the old stances can play TBC "soonish". Though I'd like to see using shield as defensive resource to make comeback. I think it's always good for the game when you can trade some of your damage for defense. Obviously one big problem here is that you need macros to switch shield, but maybe they could come up with some UI design where you can preselect 1h & shield you want to use and give a skill that equips them.

- - - Updated - - -

Because every class has to play the same way? Great argument. Also stances add decision making if it matters which stance you are in.
    At a fundamental level, yes. Every class should be able to accomplish the same task without having to jump through a hoop. Interrupts, defensive, one form of mobility. When every class can do that, what do stances add for Warrior? Flavor? Nope. There is no decision making. I want to dps, I switch. I want to immune a fear, I switch. There are no decisions. There is no need to even think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholaes92 View Post
    You mean new warriors. Stance dancing was fun as shit back in the day that’s what separates good warriors from bad
    it had it's charms initially. but halfway through vanilla you had that stuff macroed and barely thought about it.

in todays game it wouldn't seperate the good from the bad. it would separate people who read guides from people who don't. you'd still have bads with the macros, but at the same time you'd be hard punishing casual players for absolutely no reason.

but as a consolation prize: dps warriors are going to have to get dat sword and board macro back even without stances.

Can someone explain why do people want a certain type of gameplay that already exists in Classic be brought to retail instead of playing that exact thing in Classic?

I want to dps, I switch. I want to immune a fear, I switch. There are no decisions. There is no need to even think about it.
    You used to lose "all"(there was talents and a passive) your rage to swhich stances so it's not as free as you are making it to be. This creates situations where you wanna use your abilities before switching and you can get caught in wrong stance. And obviously sometimes you are not thinking ahead of the time and you get feared in wrong stance or stunned in wrong stance so it's too late to switch. But yes it would be vital to bring back rage loss if they wanted to bring back stances too, and I don't think that would fit the mindset of current players.
    At a fundamental level, yes. Every class should be able to accomplish the same task without having to jump through a hoop. Interrupts, defensive, one form of mobility.
    Interesting opinion but sure if you think so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Can someone explain why do people want a certain type of gameplay that already exists in Classic be brought to retail instead of playing that exact thing in Classic?
    Maybe they think it's more fun playstyle but don't like the content in classic? Obivous example would be raiding in classic: if you are only interested in mythic raiding you are probably not gonna waste your time playing classic. You are confused about the difference in core gameplay and the content/activities that the games offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    I'd rather be able to do all that without awkward GCDs and rage loss from stance swapping, so no thanks. It's just kind of clunky, it works in Classic because the over all pace of the game is slower, but on live it would be a hassle.
    Can you please provide an alternative to clunky so we know what you mean? The definition of 'clunky' makes absolutely no sense as an adjective to describe how playing in WoW feels; I suspect you mean cumbersome?

As a Warrior since Classic, fuck that shit. It only made you create macros so you could Intercept or Pummel without having to press two buttons. There's no depth to being hobbled because you want to use your utility.

Stance dance makes some sense, or at least wasn't that bad, in Classic where the game is slower and rotations are braindead. In a modern environment where your character is actually fun to play, it makes no sense whatsoever. I'd be more down for a Mists-type of stances that just gave you situational buffs to damage taken and rage generation, but limiting abilities to stances can fuck right off.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholaes92 View Post
    Nobody actually thinks stance dancing is fun. Like anything else in vanilla, it's just tedious and restrictive. No, its not "skillful", it's annoying.

I don't think this would work in today's game where you need to press an ability every global cooldown. It would basically just be an extra global cooldown of nothing happening. Not sure I would want to have to switch to defensive stance to be able to use my defensive ability or movement ability. As long as all it does is reduce damage but increases defense or decreases defence but reduces damage then I'm fine with it. Don't disable abilities in a certain stance.