about this

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Can you max out at level 99 or does it stop you from leveling at some point? Just wondering because when part 2 comes out we can be so overpowered it would be ridiculous, or they might squash you back down and ruin the hours you put in.
    they could just treat it like an expac like in world of warcraft make the enemies stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Thanks for the replies. However it's odd. I did replay chapter 3 with 0 side quests done and then jumped to chapter 8 etc but Tifa still had the dress I chose when I played through on hard mode. Will try again.
    You have to complete every side quest in chapter 3 to unlock the dialogue option to choose Tifa's outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx22 View Post
    You have to complete every side quest in chapter 3 to unlock the dialogue option to choose Tifa's outfit.
    If you don't do any sidequests it defaults to the purple dress, which is the one I missed. So either you have to re-pick that choice but when I played it through without any side quests I didn't finish the chapter. Tried using strategic save points to save up some time, but it seems like you have to complete the entire chapters for the choices to save.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    I know there isnt a simple "better" way to make a RPG because some people enjoy "turn based" others enjoy "action" and others enjoy "hybrids"
    But this is your favorite FF in terms of gameplay?
    Do you want to see this going forward in the next Final Fantasy game?

The slow motion really turns me off...a lot
    But i prefer action and fighting games.
    Both yes and no really, I've always loved turn based so the FFX one I think is my absolute favorite in that regard. But in terms of hybrid / action oriented then yes, this one is definitely my favorite one, and since I doubt we will ever see another true turn based combat system in FF I would love to see this iterated upon further. One thing I really miss here for instance is the gambit system in XII and the ability to pre-program certain behaviours when you're not controlling a specific character, that one could have made the VII one even cooler I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Thanks for the replies. However it's odd. I did replay chapter 3 with 0 side quests done and then jumped to chapter 8 etc but Tifa still had the dress I chose when I played through on hard mode. Will try again.
    Tifa's dress is based on your choice (Exotic, Sporty, Mature) in the dialog -after- you complete all of them, not the amount of quests completed. Doing anything else will net you the default outfit. Aerith's dress is determined by amount of quests completed in C9. Also this might have been mentioned but you only need to replay the chapters that actually has an impact, no need to do a full run (chapter must be completed for it to save progress however).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mteq View Post
    my original post wasn't extensive enough and i very much agree with you on your points. however, they explicitly stated in the credits the Untold story will continue. untold being the keyword. yes, Holy has to be summoned - but will it be during the visit to the temple of the ancients? or will they do a massive change, saving the sacrifice for the last boss battle of the series, possibly?

for the sake of arguments, lets explore the options of timelines - the original FF7 (1997) game as the first -

there is to much deviation from the original timeline already. what we are playing now, could very well be explained as a 2nd (and Zack surviving as a third) timeline - the Whispers intervening, defeating destiny, Biggs (and possibly wedge) being alive, actually fighting sephiroth instead of him just bailing at the end of Midgar. etc. small deviations but enough to justify big changes in the main arc - Aerith's Death, Cloud being controlled for the Black Materia and Cloud losing his mind.

To be honest, all these things SHOULD happen, but what would be a bigger twist then Aerith not dieng when we expect her to? old fans would be shocked, surprised, possibly angered or overjoyed, excited for whats to come etc. it would be such a mindfuck, eventhough we are heavily speculating about it.

and what of merging timelines? where it is not sephiroth that tells cloud he is not a SOLDIER - but the timelines merging and that fucks over Cloud when he bumps into Zack?

i could go on and on speculating about timelines and what will happen when. i'm really enjoying these discussions and the game itself. although, i do hope they don't push it to far and make FF8's story part of ff7's . the time comprassion gimmick of that one was a bit out there.
    I think this will also come down to just how far Square would be willing to push it. I mean let's be honest, they know more than anyone just how revered the original game is, so they know they would be making more enemies than friends if they rewrote major plot points. I mean, the gravity of letting Zack or Aerith live, or both, this would have such dramatic effects on the entire story that I just can't see how they would ever even want to do it or how it would even work to begin with. Provide a "what if" scenario in an alternate timeline, sure, they already did that towards the end anyway with letting Stamp be a different breed of dog during the Zack cutscenes. Letting Biggs survive for instance has no major effect on the plot as a whole, but can still lead to some new / changed story moments that won't mess with the main narrative. Can't see any of the major plots changing -that- much in our timeline however.

Quote Originally Posted by hambone2626 View Post
    they could just treat it like an expac like in world of warcraft make the enemies stronger.
    I'm not sure WoW is the best example here, considering old gear is quickly made useless going into the new expansions and also they're no stranger to messing about with numbers to actually deal less damage than in previous ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post

I think this will also come down to just how far Square would be willing to push it. I mean let's be honest, they know more than anyone just how revered the original game is, so they know they would be making more enemies than friends if they rewrote major plot points. I mean, the gravity of letting Zack or Aerith live, or both, this would have such dramatic effects on the entire story that I just can't see how they would ever even want to do it or how it would even work to begin with. Provide a "what if" scenario in an alternate timeline, sure, they already did that towards the end anyway with letting Stamp be a different breed of dog during the Zack cutscenes. Letting Biggs survive for instance has no major effect on the plot as a whole, but can still lead to some new / changed story moments that won't mess with the main narrative. Can't see any of the major plots changing -that- much in our timeline however.
    true, the overall story will remain the same, and probably with trying to keep the emotional impact intact, however, i can see them changing the death of Aerith scene and push that to a later stage in game to surprize new and old alike

lol...i just thought of something weird...what if the 2nd game was you actually playing Zack and Cloud as a simple trooper and doing what they actually wanted to do in Midgar to begin with...i don't remember why they went back there anyway.
    This is a signature, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    I'm not sure WoW is the best example here, considering old gear is quickly made useless going into the new expansions and also they're no stranger to messing about with numbers to actually deal less damage than in previous ones.
    the numbers go down but you still wreck old expacs like the numbers never changed.

the numbers go down but you still wreck old expacs like the numbers never changed.
    Sure you can rofl stomp old content in WoW but even if FF7 remake part 2 retained all your stats and items from part 1, it won't have you coming back to Midgar and trashing over bosses like Air buster at level 99. You couldn't even do that in the original (without cheats).
    Last edited by Great Destiny Man; 2020-04-20 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    Sure you can rofl stomp old content in WoW but even if FF7 remake part 2 retained all your stats and items from part 1, it won't have you coming back to Midgar and trashing over bosses like Air buster at level 99. You couldn't even do that in the original (without cheats).
    you could never fight airbuster at 99 tho in the old one. but im pretty sure a 9999 hit would one shot airbuster if you go the chance. To my point tho you can scale it right if done right of course.

you could never fight airbuster at 99 tho in the old one. but im pretty sure a 9999 hit would one shot airbuster if you go the chance.
    I literally just said that, but yes you would one shot it with a 9999 hit. That much is obvious. I don't see how this detracts from WoW not being the best model to compare it to.

To my point tho you can scale it right if done right of course.
    Sure, scaling was brought up earlier in the thread as well and I'm not saying that's something that can't be utilised but it's up to the devs to weigh up that option and see if it's worth doing that over just a hard reset in the new game. Whatever path they choose, someone's going to be pissed. There's no magic solution out there that 100% of people will be happy with.

you could never fight airbuster at 99 tho in the old one. but im pretty sure a 9999 hit would one shot airbuster if you go the chance. To my point tho you can scale it right if done right of course.
    Well you COULD level to 99, it would just be mad too and take a long time grinding. And you wouldnt hit 9999 at lvl 99 anyway with the buster sword.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Well you COULD level to 99, it would just be mad too and take a long time grinding. And you wouldnt hit 9999 at lvl 99 anyway with the buster sword.
    Just need one of these

Im not sure why so many people are shitting on this game, finished it last night. Wow what a pleasant surprise, Game might be worth being its own series on the basis that its like DC flash point story. They did good by me. I was ready for the bitter pill of a plain remake for $300 that kinda shits on the OG. Now the OG is its own thing and will always be worth it. The remakes arent $300 of updated graphic but might turn into an actual new story where i cant begin to guess what is gona happen, so actually worth its price tag. Sure the down side is that they can fuck up as soon as part 2 launch and that new story sucks, but they did good with part 1, people are overly butt hurt about the fate thing... i mean jezz. Imagine if all the batman fan started crying every time bruce wayne training is a different timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    You can grind but not for a little bit, and it’s not like a random encounter type game. Essentially you just go through any dungeon and all the creatures will have respawned, clear them out, leave and repeat. The best “grinding” isn’t until you have access to the arena and VR challenges.
    Hopefully in part 2, with the overworld, we'll get a proper chance to grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Hopefully in part 2, with the overworld, we'll get a proper chance to grind.
    If they keep one thing for grinding from FFVII, we better get the sunken submarine to grind in

10+ Year Old Account
    So the concept their using in this remake is interesting. Almost like the writers are saying you us 'you've heard this story before', the introduction of whispers as entities that keep the flow of the story on path as it is meant to happen deemed by them, it creates an interesting scenario.
    For example barret being stabbed by sepiroth wasn't in the original, but the whispers brought him back to life because he didn't die in the original story. Likewise jesse, big and wedge did die in the original, so when cloud tried to get to biggs before he died the whispers stopped cloud from getting to him in time.

And yet the story suggest sepiroth is somehow unaffected, that the whispers can't touch him. Kind of odd considering it undid his killing of barret so it can effect what he does.

Lot of people are hoping on the idea that this means the fate of certain characters can be change, like one important party member. However with the whispers determining how fate is meant to run according to the original, that suggests that even if they were able to save her, the whispers would end up finishing the job.

I'm not sure how i feel about this, because it creates a bit a big plothole in the story. The whispers cause fate to carry out as intended, they didn't exist in the original, so they are obviously thrown in as something to overcome here, like the final battle in the first chapter.

It they use this concept in the main story to change the well known story and the fate of some characters, then its obvious the writers want to find a method of changing it for the sake of doing so. However if they don't and just keep the story on the same course it was in the original, then it makes the introduction of the whispers kind of pointless.

also why is sepiroth supposedly unaffected by them? Did he or Jenova's influence create them? Is Jenova aware of history repeating itself and wanted to both ensure fate happens as its meant to but also ensure sepiroth himself is the only one that can defy fate?
    Last edited by Trassk; 2020-04-21 at 01:49 AM.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    So the concept their using in this remake is interesting. Almost like the writers are saying you us 'you've heard this story before', the introduction of whispers as entities that keep the flow of the story on path as it is meant to happen deemed by them, it creates an interesting scenario.
    For example barret being stabbed by sepiroth wasn't in the original, but the whispers brought him back to life because he didn't die in the original story. Likewise jesse, big and wedge did die in the original, so when cloud tried to get to biggs before he died the whispers stopped cloud from getting to him in time.

And yet the story suggest sepiroth is somehow unaffected, that the whispers can't touch him. Kind of odd considering it undid his killing of barret so it can effect what he does.

Lot of people are hoping on the idea that this means the fate of certain characters can be change, like one important party member. However with the whispers determining how fate is meant to run according to the original, that suggests that even if they were able to save her, the whispers would end up finishing the job.

I'm not sure how i feel about this, because it creates a bit a big plothole in the story. The whispers cause fate to carry out as intended, they didn't exist in the original, so they are obviously thrown in as something to overcome here, like the final battle in the first chapter.

It they use this concept in the main story to change the well known story and the fate of some characters, then its obvious the writers want to find a method of changing it for the sake of doing so. However if they don't and just keep the story on the same course it was in the original, then it makes the introduction of the whispers kind of pointless.

also why is sepiroth supposedly unaffected by them? Did he or Jenova's influence create them? Is Jenova aware of history repeating itself and wanted to both ensure fate happens as its meant to but also ensure sepiroth himself is the only one that can defy fate?
    Heres the thing, i view it more like its gona be flashpoint in DC universe. Wheres things will happens differently, now that the event of part 1 saw their defeat. It means that theres a way to force the time line in a different manner. Its an interesting idea, i think part 1 used it well and people just bitch to bitch because they wanted a boring $300 one to one copy of the OG. Just go buy the OG on the switch right now dudes. Could next part suck and not use that new idea they clearly worked in, yes. But it at least has surprising potential to be great to the same degree that it could be absolute shit. Alternate story lines, elseworlds, etc, its all stuff thats been done in many stories, sometimes its brilliant, sometimes it sucks. I aint gona knock it before its out, part 1 was a strong showing to me, so theres no reason to be scared yet.

7+ Year Old Account
    If they wanted to change the story then they should have said that's what they would be doing. It would have pissed people off but so does what they did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    If they wanted to change the story then they should have said that's what they would be doing. It would have pissed people off but so does what they did.
    A remark I saw, forgot what video it was, but one that hit the nail perfectly. FF7 1997 was Squaresofts game. This today is Square Enix's game. Their as much different entities as the original animated beauty and the beast, and the live action remake. They are made by completely different people, only one is attempting to pay homage to the other, while trying to do their own thing.

If that pays off its a different matter, but yeah, its very understandable if people are pissed off this being changed from the original. I mean I love seeing these characters in fully rendered cgi, fully voiced and in a new battle system, but the end of this chapter just leaves me less with anticipation and more with concern, given square enix's track record.

- - - Updated - - -

Watching Jeremy Jahns review made me realize something.. time travel or time alterning elements were never part of the original story, but they've now thrown that kind of element into this story, one that didn't need it because the story was straight forward enough with its own complexities.

The problem this has made, is time travel or time altering elements or ones involving time displacement like alternative timelines, unless used properly or written well, can make a preexisting story very convoluted, and just could make to many plotholes because of it. Just going though this, it makes it feel like every time the whispers appear, its just a distraction that tears us away from the original story.
    This is dangerous and could just get on so many fans nerves.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2020-04-21 at 02:51 AM.
    #boycottchina

Certain things I don’t like as an OG player. Sephiroth being in game so early is kind of annoying, as his reveal is downplayed from later on. Anyone who is familiar with the original has seen many teasers for things that won’t happen until part 2 at the earliest.
    Overall I still enjoy playing it and I enjoy the reimagining, but at the same time it’s hard to move past certain parts. Biggest gripe I have is the summons functioning the way they do. Back on the PS1, they were a fucking spectacle. Granted, some with long cinematic parts, like Knights, would get old fast; but seeing Odin charge down from a mountain and cleave enemies in 2 was amazing. Seeing Bahamut shoot out a beam that split the clouds before decimating the enemy was spectacular and never got old. The way they are now is still neat, but I don’t like they are random when they can be used, and if you do get them the enemy will die (most of the time outside of boss battles) before the signature ability.