Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PC might be kaput.

I've had my pc for ~7 years and already thinking about an upgrade, but money is a problem. Yesterday my GPU crashed, then again, and again, then the blue screen. I did try going back to a previous drive but still crashed.

I could not boot up windows in safety mode and did not have a back up, so I did a refresh. When the pc refreshed the network drivers were not on the computer, so I couldn't update anything. However the GPU seemed to be functioning, so I am thinking it was a software issue?

I am now at a crossroad.

1.find a way to update/install the network driver.
    2. Build a new computer (850$ max, minus power supply)
    3. Just have no computer and rely on my phone, RIP wow.

1.1 I thought if I downloaded the driver update on my phone I could put it on my PC, but the PC doesn't recognize my phone.

I might have a flash drive and could borrow a computer and put the driver on it, but if it doesn't recognize my phone, could it not recognize a flash drive?

2.1 I could budget a max of 850$, the recent stimulus has somewhat helped, but hard to justify an expensive item on something for just fun. I looked at mmo-c's puppy build, which is the cheapest and would cost 961 minus the powersupply, well above budget.

However I'm not sure my pc could be playing wow in another 3 years, so actually fixing my current computer is delaying the inevitable.

3.1 Not having a pc is okay, I have plenty other things to entertain me. But if I can't get the driver's and can't get a reasonably priced pc to last 3-5 years, I would take this route. I mean, would be more expensive to spend 500$ every 2 years than an 850$ every 5 years.

Not asking for moral guidance, asking for likelihood of 1 or 2 being solved. Thanks!
    If curiosity killed the cat, why can't speculation kill you?

10+ Year Old Account
    1: There's almost no chance that it won't recognize a USB flash drive. It would have to have no USB functionality at all, basically, and at that point you'd need to replace no matter what.

2: 850 for a new system is perfectly fine. You can get a pretty decent build for that if you're just playing WoW and other similar games at 1080p. Build of the month is horrible and have been for a while. I'm not sure why they're still being done to be honest.

3: As I said before, 850 is plenty for a new system. But if you don't need it, and are fine without, maybe save up for a month or two. Or 6. There's new hardware due to be released over the year, so waiting isn't an awful idea

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of phones don't function 'just like' flash drives, and often require certain software or setup.

That said, does your computer have Wifi? You could probably tether your phone to your computer for internet. Or just spend $5 on a flash drive and get the drivers from somewhere (no other computers in the house? Friends? SOmething?)

That said... It's that old, was it running on Win7? You can probably just download and install Win10 on it for free and it would likely pick up with network drivers on its own.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

you can get a cheap build somethig like a Asus B450 + ryzen 5-6 and a Rx 580 for around 400-450€ if your money is tight, that works perfecly fine for wow
    I.O BFA Season 3

Thank you all, all around helpful advice!

I found a flash drive I once had to use as a bootable USB - yay!
    But now unable to get to work correctly, seems to not be able to read it or I am following a direction wrong, keeps going in a loop of restarting, choosing keyboard format, then only option is restart or advanced options. Adv options want to do a recovery or go backwards, which seems like won't work anymore since I've already refreshed. Followed these directions.
    I am at a dead end so seeing if running a full recovery will have any change, but looks like this will take hours.
    If I can't get it to work then I maybe have to find another pc and do the driver onto a usb. Still progress imo.
    Last edited by lllBlackSunlll; 2020-05-10 at 10:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lllBlackSunlll View Post
    But now unable to get to work correctly, seems to not be able to read it or I am following a direction wrong, keeps going in a loop of restarting, choosing keyboard format, then only option is restart or advanced options.
    What have you done so far to use it?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What have you done so far to use it?
    I used the wrong term + method, it is a recovery usb, not bootable. This may be why I was having issues booting with it? I really appreciate the help, some things I am pretty oblivious with.

Having that said, the stick is a 64gb usb that I bought a few years ago, ended up only using it as a recovery usb.

Edit: "Unable to reset your PC. A required partition is missing." How bad is this?
    Last edited by lllBlackSunlll; 2020-05-11 at 01:13 AM.

I've had my pc for ~7 years and already thinking about an upgrade, but money is a problem. Yesterday my GPU crashed, then again, and again, then the blue screen. I did try going back to a previous drive but still crashed.

I could not boot up windows in safety mode and did not have a back up, so I did a refresh. When the pc refreshed the network drivers were not on the computer, so I couldn't update anything. However the GPU seemed to be functioning, so I am thinking it was a software issue?

I am now at a crossroad.

1.find a way to update/install the network driver.
    2. Build a new computer (850$ max, minus power supply)
    3. Just have no computer and rely on my phone, RIP wow.

1.1 I thought if I downloaded the driver update on my phone I could put it on my PC, but the PC doesn't recognize my phone.

I might have a flash drive and could borrow a computer and put the driver on it, but if it doesn't recognize my phone, could it not recognize a flash drive?

2.1 I could budget a max of 850$, the recent stimulus has somewhat helped, but hard to justify an expensive item on something for just fun. I looked at mmo-c's puppy build, which is the cheapest and would cost 961 minus the powersupply, well above budget.

However I'm not sure my pc could be playing wow in another 3 years, so actually fixing my current computer is delaying the inevitable.

3.1 Not having a pc is okay, I have plenty other things to entertain me. But if I can't get the driver's and can't get a reasonably priced pc to last 3-5 years, I would take this route. I mean, would be more expensive to spend 500$ every 2 years than an 850$ every 5 years.

Not asking for moral guidance, asking for likelihood of 1 or 2 being solved. Thanks!
    Option 1 where you use another PC and flash drive is probably best. Make sure to get all the related drivers for your motherboard.

Option 2 isn't bad. Especially with Ryzen 3 3100/3300x and b450 out right now. You can get a PC below $800. Just reuse your HDD, GPU, power supply, and case. All you need is the CPU, Mobo, ram, and use the inbox cooler. So, probably about $300-$400 you need to spend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used the wrong term + method, it is a recovery usb, not bootable. This may be why I was having issues booting with it? I really appreciate the help, some things I am pretty oblivious with.

Having that said, the stick is a 64gb usb that I bought a few years ago, ended up only using it as a recovery usb.
    You'll need access to another computer to get it set up for the reinstall. Do you have access to one?

You'll need access to another computer to get it set up for the reinstall. Do you have access to one?
    I do, SO has a laptop, which is how I made a recovery stick from. I edited my last reply, said, "Unable to reset your PC. A required partition is missing." Should I remake another recovery or just try to download the drivers onto the stick?

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess my first question is before proceeding: Do you need your data, or was it already wiped?

If you don't, you aren't making a 'recovery stick'. You want to download Windows 10 ISO from microsofts website and make a Win10 Installation drive. To be clear, you're going to be wiping the entire drive.

I guess my first question is before proceeding: Do you need your data, or was it already wiped?

If you don't, you aren't making a 'recovery stick'. You want to download Windows 10 ISO from microsofts website and make a Win10 Installation drive. To be clear, you're going to be wiping the entire drive.
    It was already wiped, anything I "need" is backed up online. Is this the link I need to do it?
    Many thanks!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was already wiped, anything I "need" is backed up online. Is this the link I need to do it?
    Many thanks!
    Yup, this is the program you want to download

There are instructions below how to do it for USB.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Update: computer is not kaput!

Was able to download win10 and was able to update my network driver, success!!!

Now that it works, I guess my only question now, if anyone knows, why did my gpu crash?
    The screen would become pixelated, freeze, then computer restarted,
    Is it simply a software thing, hardware, or something that just happens over time?
    ----
    Update2: gpu crashed after being on the computer for ~20 AFTER updating the gpu driver, the latest drivers. Just not sure what to do. Because it's a 7yrs old computer, if it is a hardware issue is it possible other parts may malfunction?

If it's a software issue, how could I possibly know which driver to download? Previously downloaded the oldest one possible and still crashed.

If I bought a new gpu compatible with my current parts might that be a cheap(er) but reasonable solution?
    Last edited by lllBlackSunlll; 2020-05-12 at 01:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Update: computer is not kaput!

Was able to download win10 and was able to update my network driver, success!!!

Now that it works, I guess my only question now, if anyone knows, why did my gpu crash?
    The screen would become pixelated, freeze, then computer restarted,
    Is it simply a software thing, hardware, or something that just happens over time?
    ----
    Update2: gpu crashed after being on the computer for ~20 AFTER updating the gpu driver, the latest drivers. Just not sure what to do. Because it's a 7yrs old computer, if it is a hardware issue is it possible other parts may malfunction?

If it's a software issue, how could I possibly know which driver to download? Previously downloaded the oldest one possible and still crashed.

If I bought a new gpu compatible with my current parts might that be a cheap(er) but reasonable solution?
    What GPU do you have? Sorry if you said already, I skimmed through and couldn't find it
    The way you describe the failure it might be either drivers, a dead/dying core, or bad power. Or one of a dozen other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    What GPU do you have? Sorry if you said already, I skimmed through and couldn't find it
    The way you describe the failure it might be either drivers, a dead/dying core, or bad power. Or one of a dozen other things.
    GPU - GeForce GTX 760

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Motherboard ASROCK Z97 Pro3

Power supply - https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Power-Ga...ews/B004YF9VBG, started using this a year ago.

RAM - 8GB

This is all the information I could find.

Thanks!

Edit: some more backstory, I've always had issues with my pc. About every 2 years it would blue screen out of the blue, and any time I traveled with it, like moving to a new apartment, it would blue screen on booting. So I am used to my PC just suddenly not working, but this time it doesn't seem like I can fix it by just reinstalling windows, which would work before.
    Last edited by lllBlackSunlll; 2020-05-12 at 10:50 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you need to replace the video card. It is not uncommon for them to go bad, esp. after several years.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    GPU - GeForce GTX 760

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Motherboard ASROCK Z97 Pro3

Power supply - https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Power-Ga...ews/B004YF9VBG, started using this a year ago.

RAM - 8GB

This is all the information I could find.

Thanks!

Edit: some more backstory, I've always had issues with my pc. About every 2 years it would blue screen out of the blue, and any time I traveled with it, like moving to a new apartment, it would blue screen on booting. So I am used to my PC just suddenly not working, but this time it doesn't seem like I can fix it by just reinstalling windows, which would work before.
    Could be dying GPU silicon. 7 years is an okay lifespan depending on how much you use it.

I'm not going to say that I'm 100% correct on that though, someone else might have better ideas. But, I'd suggest looking into getting a new graphics card, something in the 1660 super range. They should be around 230 dollars

A full upgrade would look something like:
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($172.39 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $596.36
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-12 09:19 EDT-0400

But just start by replacing the GPU, then if you still have issues also swap out the MOBO/CPU/RAM as well. If you *still* have issues.. Your house is haunted, get a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Your house is haunted, get a new one.
    Oh my god it all makes sense now, why didn't I think of that?! /s

Thank you all in the thread, it's very extremely helpful, especially offering help out of the kindness of your heart.

I'll just get a new gpu and work my way from.
    Again, thank you.

We can agree with this.