Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hif View Post
    Biden called in April and now Kushner the son in law of Presidente Orange has stated that they can not commit to elections in November.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate.c...oronavirus.amp

Now he has attempted to clarify but still has not commited to hold it.

So do you think Trump will try to postpone the elections?
    I think the president and the republican party will do everything they can to block the mass use of mail-in ballots. They know they have a good chance of losing in a mail-in ballot election because more people will vote by this method if it is available.

Postponing a presidential election would just get someone else in the 'succession' in line to President.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Postponing a presidential election would just get someone else in the 'succession' in line to President.
    Actually...if there is no election, there wouldn't be a new House at all, and we'd have a partial Senate. So it wouldn't be Pelosi, it would be the Senate President Pro Tempore which is currently Chuck Grassley BUT...I believe, since he's filling Orrin Hatch's seat, that his term is up. I'm not sure which seats would open up next election and if that would change which party has a majority, but I think in that instance it would whoever the majority party elects as Senate Pro Tempore that would fill the office.

I'm sure there are Constitutional law scholars who have been digging into this with far more intelligent commentary and analysis, but the long and short of it is that this is unprecedented, I don't think anyone knows exactly how it would all play out legally, and it's incredibly fucking confusing and complicated -_-

WHICH IS SURE A GOOD ARGUMENT TO ALLOW VOTE BY MAIL NATIONALLY

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Actually...if there is no election, there wouldn't be a new House at all, and we'd have a partial Senate. So it wouldn't be Pelosi, it would be the Senate President Pro Tempore which is currently Chuck Grassley BUT...I believe, since he's filling Orrin Hatch's seat, that his term is up. I'm not sure which seats would open up next election and if that would change which party has a majority, but I think in that instance it would whoever the majority party elects as Senate Pro Tempore that would fill the office.

I'm sure there are Constitutional law scholars who have been digging into this with far more intelligent commentary and analysis, but the long and short of it is that this is unprecedented, I don't think anyone knows exactly how it would all play out legally, and it's incredibly fucking confusing and complicated -_-

WHICH IS SURE A GOOD ARGUMENT TO ALLOW VOTE BY MAIL NATIONALLY
    Right, I think someone did the math, and it winds up being Leahy.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Right, I think someone did the math, and it winds up being Leahy.
    Why not Metzen?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Centrist View Post
    How about both sides agree to settle for 1.5 years?
    As soon as you mail me half your money, sure. Until then, "middle of the road" is still a fallacy and still stupid.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    As soon as you mail me half your money, sure. Until then, "middle of the road" is still a fallacy and still stupid.
    Yep, it's this logical fallacy, which makes it factually wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_to_moderation

It gives a great analogy. "An example of a fallacious use of the argument to moderation would be to regard two opposed arguments—one person saying that the sky is blue, while another claims that the sky is in fact yellow—and conclude that the truth is that the sky is green. While green is the colour created by combining blue and yellow, therefore being a compromise between the two positions—the sky is obviously not green, demonstrating that taking the middle ground of two positions does not always lead to the truth." Exactly what they're doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Why not Metzen?
    Sure. Chris Metzen for President. Can't be worse than Trump.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    He doesn't have the authority to do it. Only Congress does.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Trump may personally want to, but I don't think even the GOP is stupid enough to let him try.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This is a completely fair statement. However, it's worth noting that the person you're quoting is still being a hypocrite.

If it's too dangerous to vote in November, it's too dangerous to re-open jobs now. Anyone who says we should be opening the country now, is saying it will be safe to get into voting booths -- or use distant voting -- in six months.

Or, they're lying.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but you're tiptoeing through a minefield. There's no safe place to stand when trying to defend Trump's actions via logic.
    No no, not defending Trumps action, and you're completely right: if they deem the situation safe enough for everyone to get back to work, there can be no reason to postpone the election.

Just saying that this is something no politician in this situation would guarantee (as it would be stupid), and twisting Kushners words on purpose isn't helping, when we're pissed about Trump and his way with words. Words matter, that is something that people (especially the right wing) need to learn, and i think it doesn't help the case if the trump critics use the same rhetorical bullshit than the Trump family.

This is explicitly not a defense of Trump/Kushner about what the said, as you rightfully pointed out the hypocrisy. But that would have been a better premise for this thread.

I just fear threads like these will lead to Trumpster claiming: Him (trump) twisting words doesn't matter, as his critics do the same (and reference to this thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    2) The elections are laid out in the constitution. They can't be changed by any normal route.
    That does not mean much. If something is mandated and the guy in charge decides to just not do it, like vote on a Supreme Court nomination... The past few years were about finding out how sorely America is missing "or else" clauses.

Why would Trump postpone something he is likely to win? This anti-Trump website may hate him with all it's gusto, but it does not nearly reflect anything besides liberal hatred. Look at the polls on this board, it's extremely biased. This thread is just more representation. It's like before he was elected and the media whined that he would not accept it if he lost, not knowing it would be democrats who did that when Hillary lost. Keep echoing each other. I mean, Biden was asked if he would pardon Trump today....shouldn't you guys have made a thread just for that?

I believe per the constitution, his term is over Jan 20 at noon. There is no way around that. If he doesn't have enough of the Electoral College votes at that time, he's no longer president at that time. Also per the constitution the states are required to appoint said Electoral College people, people who don't hold public office, to vote for said president.

according to this law states have to meet the deadline or they are not counted. If a presidential candidate doesn't have a majority of electoral votes, the House selects the President and Senate selects the Vice President per the 12th amendment.

This date happens before the new house is sworn in. So, if they do decide to postpone the election to this or past this date, the current House decides the President, and the current Senate decides the VP. We'd have a Blue President, and a Red VP, and w/i 10 seconds of being sworn in the VP would be replaced with a Blue VP.

Now Congress has the power to change the date of the general election in case of extreme emergency, like we had another 9/11 attack or something, BUT the House and Senate can't postpone it indefinitely because they like the president has an end date for their office, article 1 section 2, and the 17th amendment respectively, requires new members every 2 years and every 6 years respectively.

So it's only in Trumps and Republicans interest to not postpone it.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2020-05-15 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Why would Trump postpone something he is likely to win? This anti-Trump website may hate him with all it's gusto, but it does not nearly reflect anything besides liberal hatred. Look at the polls on this board, it's extremely biased. This thread is just more representation. It's like before he was elected and the media whined that he would not accept it if he lost, not knowing it would be democrats who did that when Hillary lost. Keep echoing each other. I mean, Biden was asked if he would pardon Trump today....shouldn't you guys have made a thread just for that?
    Likely to win... based on what exactly? being consistently behind in polling? Biden even pulls ahead in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by The Centrist View Post
    How about both sides agree to settle for 1.5 years?
    Sure, just as soon as you give me half your money.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Currently Congress has set the "time of choosing the electors" as the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, in the year before they are to be appointed, and the day electors give their votes as the first Monday after the second Wednesday in December. This was set by the 28th Congress in 1845.
    What's the purpose for that "convoluted" rules? Why not just first tuesday in november...

I know that the wording makes it so that if Monday ends up on 31th october it will be the 2nd tuesday in november due to first Monday being on the 7th november... but why would that matter?
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Trump is behind in all the polls currently. He is ahead in the betting.

I don't agree with the corporate democrat echo chamber but that doesn't mean the nonsenical drivel of Trump supporters is more plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I think the president and the republican party will do everything they can to block the mass use of mail-in ballots. They know they have a good chance of losing in a mail-in ballot election because more people will vote by this method if it is available.
    Ding ding ding we have a winner. This is honestly the smart thing to do for Trump. His supporters will risk getting it to vote, will the "educated" democrats? Also if they find a way to minimize mail in ballots dont you think it will be the democrats pushing to extend it? Or if Biden gets crushed, and he will, in the debates so they can replace him?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    He doesn't have the authority to do it. Only Congress does.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't matter who "has the authority" if he just does it anyway, and the US has no enforcement or consequences on people who break laws (unless you're poor or have the wrong skin color). People will say "he can't do that" while he does it anyway, and there is no consequence.