Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I have a cool idea about racial/class combo flavor and identitiy.

Thinking about this quite often and polishing my idea about over the past year or so and I find hardly any arguments against it.

I brought this up on the wow forums 3-4 years or so and it ended badly so this time I want to try here first.

So thea suggestion is as follows:

This could happen as an expansion feature at max level or at level 10 or somewhere along your leveling journey.

Lets say you play a Tauren warrior. After a while you do a storyline specific to your class and racial combination.

This storyline would be something about the legscy of warriors among taurens. After the storyline is over you become what the taurens warriors actually are called within the lore. That is a "Brave".

This could reward you with a suitable cosmetic armor. And most important an iconic ability specific to Braves. In order to not mess up balance it would for example replace Mortal Strike with Pulverize which has the exact same numeric value as Mortal Steike, but just with a very taurenlike ability and icon. It could be like slamming down a totem on your enemy.

Braves and other names like these is something we see in the game all the time.

Other types of combos would be:

Tauren Shaman = Spiritwalkers
    Troll Shaman = Hexxer
    Nightelf Rogue = Sentinel
    Nightelf Hunter = Archer
    Dwarf Hunter = Rifleman
    Orc Warrior = Blademaster
    Troll Priest = Voodoo Master
    Troll Warrior = Berserker
    Troll Hunter = Shadow hunter.
    Human Warlock = Necromancer
    Undead Warlock = Lich

Etc etc etc..

Many of these might not be the right names. I am just throwing out things here so you get my point. Blizzard I would assume would have no problem coming up with cool names for all combinations.

It would give people motivation to level more alts to try out the different types of combinations.

Thanks.

Blizzard will never put in this much effort for a limited scope benefit like this.

They should put these class skins on the shop, they'd make so much money. I can already imagine the amount of cash they'd get from Helfers if VEs paladins became playable as a class skin.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by TorAndre View Post
    and I find hardly any arguments against it.
    That'll cost one or two raid tiers. How's that for an argument against it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Don't like this idea at all

10+ Year Old Account
    Why should Blizzard entertain this idea? What real benefit to the players or Blizzard would there be?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Humans = 9 classes
    Dwarfs = 10 classes
    NE = 9 classes
    Gnomes = 8 classes
    Draenei = 8 classes
    Worgen = 8 classes
    VE = 8 classes
    LD = 6 classes
    DI Dwarf = 10 classes
    Kul Tiran = 9 classes
    M Gnome = 8 classes

Pandaren = 8 classes

Orcs = 8 classes
    Undead = 8 classes
    Tauren = 8 classes
    Troll = 10 classes
    BE = 10 classes
    Goblins = 8 classes
    Nightborne = 8 classes
    HM Tauren = 6 classes
    Mag'har = 8 classes
    Z Trolls = 10 classes
    Vulpera = 9 classes

194 different abilities and quest chains if I didn't do a miscalculation.
    We can probably cut down some with some allied races, but not entirely sure... Yes I don't think this will happen. At least not with a quest chain.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    They should put these class skins on the shop, they'd make so much money. I can already imagine the amount of cash they'd get from Helfers if VEs paladins became playable as a class skin.
    I prefer they not waste resources on class skins tbh. I prefer new classes that brings new gameplay instead.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

An icon and a new animation? I think your problem is this idea is far to much work for far to little payoff.

Most players won't know or care (which is sad) why mortal strike has become pulverise (it might even confuse them), it can't appear as either the animation or the ability name in PvP, a lot of people don't even look at their character in the first place while playing. So it's basically just for lore nerds while they're questing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nightelf Rogue = Sentinel
    Ok, i'm no longer playing, so i'm not comenting the thread, but i wanted to highline this. The Sentinels are Warriors not rogues, even the warrior trainner at Darnassus was a female Sentinel. NElf rogue's are basicly outlaw.

i like the idea.

sorry someone shit on it on the first post and the typical sheep-like mentality of these forums followed along behind.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    An icon and a new animation? I think your problem is this idea is far to much work for far to little payoff.

Most players won't know or care (which is sad) why mortal strike has become pulverise (it might even confuse them), it can't appear as either the animation or the ability name in PvP, a lot of people don't even look at their character in the first place while playing. So it's basically just for lore nerds while they're questing?
    Exactly this. It's far too much work for a benefit to the lore nerds (a small minority of the playerbase). Even if there was no questline, people (especially new players) would still be confused by the new abilities, and creating a new character ("should I be a troll hexxer, tauren spiritwalker, or orc shaman???") would become daunting as fuck for them.

Yes, it would be neat. But the benefit would be to a small minority, and it would be a detriment to many, especially new players. Blizzard is going to shoot you in the head before they shoot new players as a whole in the foot. In short, terrible idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    i like the idea.

sorry someone shit on it on the first post and the typical sheep-like mentality of these forums followed along behind.
    "I agree, everyone who disagrees are sheep!" K m8.
    Last edited by Segus1992; 2020-05-18 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post

"I agree, everyone who disagrees are sheep!" K m8.
    never heard that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    never heard that one before.
    If you have, maybe it's because you have this short-sighted self-centered attitude in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    If you have, maybe it's because you have this short-sighted self-centered attitude in general?
    *fart noises*

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps a title would be in order instead? As others mentioned, this would be a lot of buck for very little bang, especially with them recently having redesigned most if not every class's animations as-is. However, a character title using your race's flavor name for your class (some, like Sentinel, would cover more than one as the Sentinels are warriors, hunters, and rogues) would be relatively easy to implement and fills a niche many roleplayers already play into with their RP flag tools (since there can be many Braves but only one Highlord of the Silver Hand in-lore).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    That'll cost one or two raid tiers. How's that for an argument against it?
    Did class order halls and class storylines, artifact system and mount questlines cost any raid tiers? This would be same if not less work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Ok, i'm no longer playing, so i'm not comenting the thread, but i wanted to highline this. The Sentinels are Warriors not rogues, even the warrior trainner at Darnassus was a female Sentinel. NElf rogue's are basicly outlaw.
    Yes most likely true. As I said it was only to give an example of my idea

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Why should Blizzard entertain this idea? What real benefit to the players or Blizzard would there be?
    The same as you get from artifact weapons, class storylines in legion, cosmetics, etc.

A sense of class fantasy, identity and immersion. Would be enjoyable storylines and transmog to unlock. I think there are more enjoyable content you can add to it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post

People loved class halls and artifact weapons. One could argue before it came out that it was only for lore nerds as well that would like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    I like the idea although I worry about the scope and effort it would take. One way to alleviate this is to not introduce these "sub classes" all at once but rather some at a time, for instance humans + orcs in one patch, dwarves + trolls in another.

I would also probably limit the amount of subclasses only to races and classes where there's significant differences. I.E between a Tauren Priest and a Night Elf priest.

Some lore buff is probably going to quote me on this but in WoW a warrior is a warrior, they hit things with swords and/or maces and axes.

Arguably the same can be said for something like Hunter though there might be some room for Sentinel and Farstrider subclasses.
    Yes I agree with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did class order halls and class storylines, artifact system and mount questlines cost any raid tiers? This would be same if not less work.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes most likely true. As I said it was only to give an example of my idea

- - - Updated - - -

The same as you get from artifact weapons, class storylines in legion, cosmetics, etc.

A sense of class fantasy, identity and immersion. Would be enjoyable storylines and transmog to unlock. I think there are more enjoyable content you can add to it as well.
    190+ expansive quest/story lines and seperate armor sets that they would have to design... in addition to all the other armor sets they have to design for a single expansion. For a game that is allegedly on its last legs that nobody supposedly plays anymore.

You say you brought this idea up 3-4 years ago on the main forums and it 'ended badly'. Badly how and why?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    190+ expansive quest/story lines and seperate armor sets that they would have to design... in addition to all the other armor sets they have to design for a single expansion. For a game that is allegedly on its last legs that nobody supposedly plays anymore.

You say you brought this idea up 3-4 years ago on the main forums and it 'ended badly'. Badly how and why?
    I think as somone mentioned. It could be done by 1 class for every major patch or so.

Pretty much the same as here. Only something lore nerds would care about.

But seeing people still enjoy doing the class storylines, it gave me some new hope.

People loved class halls and artifact weapons. One could argue before it came out that it was only for lore nerds as well that would like that.
    You can use artifacts in PvP (where this would have to be disabled). Other players can see artifacts (as opposed to just an icon for you). Artifacts, when balanced against new weapon models for all of legion, was probably less work (read in the light most positive to you it was at most work neutral). Artifacts serve an in game function (being weapons after all) as opposed to purely cosmetic. Aritfacts, the traits and the orderhalls were an integrated system (both functional and cosmetic) designed to carry an expansion.

Making only tauren, only warriors sometimes do the pulverise (but not in pvp) animation is like comparing apples to a painting of an ornamental plant.