Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Fired instead of being apprehended for manslaughter... typical outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Well, the typical outcome is they are out on desk duty while they rush through an investigation that clears them of all wrong-doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Actually, it's not. "Fired" means "not put on administrative leave while we pursue an internal investigation". Their careers in law enforcement are done.

Charges may still be filed, and they state in the article that the evidence is being reviewed. That's not unusual. They want to be sure they have every officer's testimony so they can get the appropriate charges for each of them filed, and the prosecutors ready to go. That's pretty standard practice.

But filing charges and administrative decisions are two entirely separate processes.

5+ Year Old Account
    In any other country than the US this would be murder.

Well, they are fired... which appears to be an indicator of wrongdoings, regardless of criminal liability, which is already fairly rare sin cases like this. Looks like they will be hold accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Well, the typical outcome is they are out on desk duty while they rush through an investigation that clears them of all wrong-doing.
    Agreed. I was actually pretty stunned.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

10+ Year Old Account
    American "police" doing what they do best, I see.

To dovetail onto this story, did y'all hear about the white woman who tried to kill someone via cop?

Amy Cooper was walking her dog Monday morning while Christian Cooper (no relation) was bird-watching at a wooded area of Central Park called the Ramble. They both told CNN their dispute began because her dog was not on a leash, contrary to the Ramble's rules, according to the park's website.

Christian Cooper recorded video of part of their encounter and posted it on Facebook, where it has since been shared thousands of times and became a trending topic on Twitter. In the video, he is largely silent while she frantically tells police he is threatening her and her dog.

"I'm taking a picture and calling the cops," Amy Cooper is heard saying in the video. "I'm going to tell them there's an African American man threatening my life."
    But sure. This country doesn't have a problem with systemic racism in law enforcement to the point people actively weaponise it. /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    But sure. This country doesn't have a problem with systemic racism in law enforcement to the point people actively weaponise it. /s
    Depends what "problems" and "systemic" mean to you. This and other stories don't inherently prove either, unless you take a puritanical approach to the topic.

7+ Year Old Account

To dovetail onto this story, did y'all hear about the white woman who tried to kill someone via cop?

If there is 'systemic racism' then tell us which system policy is racist. Pointing to racist individuals can't solve a systemic issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Depends what "problems" and "systemic" mean to you. This and other stories don't inherently prove either, unless you take a puritanical approach to the topic.
    That's nice dear, I'm not interested in semantic arguments. We're talking about an actual statistical problem.

Swear to Christ, Europeans need to acknowledge they're only able to view politics through the lens of class and aren't equipped to comment on things like race relations.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Yes. It's pretty chilling. She's also been fired. Have you seen this: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/22/o...gtype=Homepage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    If there is 'systemic racism' then tell us which system policy is racist. Pointing to racist individuals can't solve a systemic issue.
    Why should I bother doing so for someone who clearly doesn't give a shit about the issue?

It's the same reason I don't engage with TERFs in discussions on the nature of gender. Because their actual goal isn't good faith discussion of the issues, it's to make you feel shitty for twenty minutes.

Shoo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Yes. It's pretty chilling. She's also been fired. Have you seen this: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/22/o...gtype=Homepage
    1-800-CAUCASITY was the backup option.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    In any other country than the US this would be murder.
    Dunno, in Saudi Arabia they just kill you for being a Journalist apparently. I think there's basically most countries in the world that would not hold the police to murder. This overview should give us some doubt that it's a very common thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why should I bother doing so for someone who clearly doesn't give a shit about the issue?

It's the same reason I don't engage with TERFs in discussions on the nature of gender. Because their actual goal isn't good faith discussion of the issues, it's to make you feel shitty for twenty minutes.

Shoo.

- - - Updated - - -

1-800-CAUCASITY was the backup option.
    Okay but how is the system suppose to improve if you don't propose the solution. I don't get it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno, in Saudi Arabia they just kill you for being a Journalist apparently. I think there's basically most countries in the world that would not hold the police to murder. This overview should give us some doubt that it's a very common thing.
    "Police brutality in the US isn't actually that much of an issue because it happens in Saudia Arabia, too."

What a limp-dick non argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Okay but how is the system suppose to improve if you don't propose the solution. I don't get it...
    By excluding obviously bad faith individuals from the discussion table since they have nothing valuable to contribute. Take the hint.

That's nice dear, I'm not interested in semantic arguments. We're talking about an actual statistical problem.
    Which one?

There are a lot of white people who feel comfortable, calling the police and making up a racist lie incite harm.. there are also cases where people blame black people even if they weren't black, because they feel that will credit them more belief, due to... systemic issues.

- - - Updated - - -

How about you compare us to the Uk, Germany, Canada,a not a theocratic monarch?

"Police brutality in the US isn't actually that much of an issue because it happens in Saudia Arabia, too."

What a limp-dick non argument.
    I mean it's a non-argument because I didn't make it, after all. The fact that you have to resort to making up what other people said is telling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There are a lot of white people who feel comfortable, calling the police and making up a racist lie incite harm.. there are also cases where people blame black people even if they weren't black, because they feel that will credit them more belief, due to... systemic issues.
    This is why I asked someone to define "systemic" but they evaded desperately for some reason. People like to say "a lot of white people" without really being needed to support their claims with evidence.

How about you compare us to the Uk, Germany, Canada,a not a theocratic monarch?
    The original proposition was "any other country". Did you read that? Did you even read the overview I linked? Further, do you have any data you have to support your position?
    Last edited by Kraenen; 2020-05-26 at 10:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The original proposition was "any other country". Did you read that?
    Yep. We read you taking the literal meaning of an obviously figurative statement and treating it as if it was some grievous factual error.

It's not clever, sweetie, it's Tumblr level discourse.