Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How Much Shorter Would It Be, If They Had Guns?

It's Friday, let's play a little game.

If you could insert exactly one firearm into a fictional universe that doesn't already have them (book, play, movie, video game, have it); which universe would it be, and to which character would you give the gun?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Gollum.

/10 chars
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

10+ Year Old Account
    Tyrion from Game of Thrones for the responsibility. Ramsey for the lulz.
    -K

The Arthurian cycle would be pretty funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    I would equip Minas Tirith with these

10+ Year Old Account
    Loving these. For my part, I would give Harry Potter the only gun in the wizarding world.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Loving these. For my part, I would give Harry Potter the only gun in the wizarding world.
    I actually find harry potter weird for that. It has guns in its universe but for reasons they never explain no one in the wizardry world uses them when they are shown to be far more effective for combat then most spells.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets get real meta!

What if... ASoIaF fans had the guns?
    "Finish the book George!"

Or what if his editor had a gun?
    "If you write Nuncle one more time..."
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    The Arthurian cycle would be pretty funny.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Conn...thur%27s_Court

This is a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    I can't even imagine Chef Gordon Ramsay with a gun. Undercook your chicken and you're fucking DONE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Lets get real meta!

What if... ASoIaF fans had the guns?
    "Finish the book George!"

Or what if his editor had a gun?
    "If you write Nuncle one more time..."
    There are only two such viable targets in reference to the ASOIAF franchise and neither of them are George RR Martin.

Let's just refer to them as Dumb and Dumber. You could say they kind of forgot how to write a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingjack View Post
    I actually find harry potter weird for that. It has guns in its universe but for reasons they never explain no one in the wizardry world uses them when they are shown to be far more effective for combat then most spells.
    Magic has more utility.
    And a single gunshot isn't always fatal and can be armored against.
    Whereas that death curse is typically fatal.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are only two such viable targets in reference to the ASOIAF franchise and neither of them are George RR Martin.

Let's just refer to them as Dumb and Dumber. You could say they kind of forgot how to write a show.
    I can just see the spittle running down your chin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    I can just see the spittle running down your chin.
    You could say that I kind of forgot how to have a measured response to malarkey.

The Dark Crystal, I'd shower high caliber guns over the resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingjack View Post
    I always saw it as the Wizarding world being full of itself. They won't share their knowledge with humans, and they won't use what humans invent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I always saw it as the Wizarding world being full of itself. They won't share their knowledge with humans, and they won't use what humans invent.
    From a narrative standpoint, yeah.

From a meta standpoint it's just a function of JK not thinking very hard about her setting besides the window dressing.

So why not let Harry have a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Cool. Didn't know about that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    The issue with this is that in ASoIaF, crossbows are "Functional Guns". Basically the amount of firepower in a given universe remains constant to the era of the writer, regardless of the level of technology. So a gallic horde advancing across an open field against a Roman legion will take approximately the same number of casualties over the same time and distance as a Confederate Brigade doing the same thing against a Union battle line, or an American Rifle company against a Nazi platoon, or a unit of Star Wars rebels against the blasters of an imperial fortress. The scale and effect will vary based on the message the author is trying to send, not the technology involved. This is why you see entire units die to a single volley of arrows in Spartacus, while AT-ATs and modern MBTs will struggle to deal with a handful of plucky heroes in the open.

Explosions are an even funnier example of this, as all movie weapons produce the exact same blast radius, which is coincidentally exactly the size of the largest black powder theater charge that unions allow them to use around live actors. So Trebuchets through Ion Cannons all make a burst of smoke and fire about 8 foot tall and 4 foot in diameter.

So I guess the question in this scenario, is what could Tyrion do with a gun that he couldn't do with a crossbow? What time was he actually constrained by the legality of his available ranged weapon options?

Castaway.

On a side note, it appears I have a true fan from a burner account. How do I tell him that I'm not looking for anything serious at the moment?

10+ Year Old Account
    You could say that I kind of forgot how to have a measured response to malarkey.
    It's Friday! I got carried away

Back on Topic.

'Catcher in the Rye' would have been way better if Holden had a gun. As a MAGA teen, he shoots his own nuts off on accident.