Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Magic has more utility.
    And a single gunshot isn't always fatal and can be armored against.
    Whereas that death curse is typically fatal.
    What if those statues McGonagall animated during the battle had machineguns instead of halberds though? And why would the two things have to be mutually exclusive... imagine machineguns with magic bullets that grow bigger as they stravel, or some Borderlands-style guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    What if those statues McGonagall animated during the battle had machineguns instead of halberds though? And why would the two things have to be mutually exclusive... imagine machineguns with magic bullets that grow bigger as they stravel, or some Borderlands-style guns.
    Or how about gun halberds? That shoot Halberds instead of bullets. And those halberds all cast death curse on anything they hit.

The issue with most magic systems is that they have to have some sort of arbitrary limits on what a specific magic user can actually do. Possibly animating something as mechanically complicated as a gun is hard, or maybe the magic user has to be able to understand all the inner workings of the weapon enough to animate it in the first place. In which case halberds are pretty easy (Imagine a big stick with an Axe on the end, and it works how you think it does), and guns are pretty hard. And lasers are even harder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    I can't even imagine Chef Gordon Ramsay with a gun. Undercook your chicken and you're fucking DONE.
    loooool ffs he would be trigger happy, dont take much

- - - Updated - - -

Ramsay
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    snip

So I guess the question in this scenario, is what could Tyrion do with a gun that he couldn't do with a crossbow? What time was he actually constrained by the legality of his available ranged weapon options?
    I did think of this, but thought the hell Gun> Bows any day of the week. Quicker reloads meaning more deaths, more nibble, easy to sneak. Ramsay on the other than is already good with the bow, so probably makes
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Lord of the flies. It would be a lot shorter.
    Got there first fair cop
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

The issue with this is that in ASoIaF, crossbows are "Functional Guns". Basically the amount of firepower in a given universe remains constant to the era of the writer, regardless of the level of technology. So a gallic horde advancing across an open field against a Roman legion will take approximately the same number of casualties over the same time and distance as a Confederate Brigade doing the same thing against a Union battle line, or an American Rifle company against a Nazi platoon, or a unit of Star Wars rebels against the blasters of an imperial fortress. The scale and effect will vary based on the message the author is trying to send, not the technology involved. This is why you see entire units die to a single volley of arrows in Spartacus, while AT-ATs and modern MBTs will struggle to deal with a handful of plucky heroes in the open.

Explosions are an even funnier example of this, as all movie weapons produce the exact same blast radius, which is coincidentally exactly the size of the largest black powder theater charge that unions allow them to use around live actors. So Trebuchets through Ion Cannons all make a burst of smoke and fire about 8 foot tall and 4 foot in diameter.

So I guess the question in this scenario, is what could Tyrion do with a gun that he couldn't do with a crossbow? What time was he actually constrained by the legality of his available ranged weapon options?
    Also, would it have been shorter if Ramsay had a gun?
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

Damn knew I should've read more of the thread. Do bullets harm divine beings like tiamat? Some forgotten realms books would be shorter
    Wasn't Tiamat Dragonlance?

I'm totally not a nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Wasn't Tiamat Dragonlance?

I'm totally not a nerd.
    Heh for me Tiamat is from the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon but no "Tiamat" is called Takhesis in Dragonlance. If it is even the same being.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingjack View Post
    I actually find harry potter weird for that. It has guns in its universe but for reasons they never explain no one in the wizardry world uses them when they are shown to be far more effective for combat then most spells.
    I always imagined there probably some spell that makes the gunpowder in the ammunition explode. So guns are prohibitory dangerous to use in wizard combat.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Heh for me Tiamat is from the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon but no "Tiamat" is called Takhesis in Dragonlance. If it is even the same being.
    Yes, yes she was.

Thank you.

Lord of the flies. It would be a lot shorter.
    Nah, not by much. It's pretty far in the book when it gets to the point where Roger pushes the boulder killing Piggy in the process (but not entirely intentionally) and Jack hurls his spear at Ralph.

- - - Updated - - -

Or how about gun halberds? That shoot Halberds instead of bullets. And those halberds all cast death curse on anything they hit.
    Always loved those absurd ideas. Like the bomb who exploded into swords who then in turn released X Y Z and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

I actually find harry potter weird for that. It has guns in its universe but for reasons they never explain no one in the wizardry world uses them when they are shown to be far more effective for combat then most spells.
    This is something I've heard, so could be utter BS, or one of her famous retroactive twitter edits of the HP universe. But supposedly modern applications don't work in the wizard world, for whatever reason that might be. It is why you never see electrical applications as well. If guns fall under that category, could be.
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

Takhishis. No I'll not say how I know this
    Dude, I have read quite a few, and yes... it was Takhisis.

Thanks for the correction.

I never watched the D&D cartoon, which is where Tiamat comes from. It was also in the 2nd edition Monster manual. Back then,, I think Greyhawk and Blackmoor were the main settings, then came Forgotten Realms to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I always saw it as the Wizarding world being full of itself. They won't share their knowledge with humans, and they won't use what humans invent.
    There's a reason why you're a muggle. (envy is an ugly thing)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    I love that imagination!
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto is stooopid View Post
    I always imagined there probably some spell that makes the gunpowder in the ammunition explode. So guns are prohibitory dangerous to use in wizard combat.
    I suppose there could be it just feels really weird to establish that his is in the modern or close to modern world and introduce guns to just leave them behind. It isn't some great sin it just feels weird to include them at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    They probably should have shot Thanos...wait.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Voldemort: Avada Ke-
    Harry Potter: * blam *

edit: Dang, Harry Potter was already taken. In that case...

Count Olaf: Well aren't you an ugly little monkey?
    Sunny Boudelaire: Goo goo. * whips out gun *
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2020-05-29 at 10:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I suppose there could be it just feels really weird to establish that his is in the modern or close to modern world and introduce guns to just leave them behind. It isn't some great sin it just feels weird to include them at all.

The Blasting Curse (Confringo) is a curse that causes the target to explode. This curse is very dangerous and potentially even lethal. This curse is also popular when it comes to duelling. It can create maximum damage, depending on the power behind the spell.

I would not want the ammo in my gun or on my hip to be hit with that.

Bombarda Maxima was the incantation used for the strongest variation of the Exploding Charm. It provoked large, violent explosions capable of demolishing entire walls.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto is stooopid View Post
    The Blasting Curse (Confringo) is a curse that causes the target to explode. This curse is very dangerous and potentially even lethal. This curse is also popular when it comes to duelling. It can create maximum damage, depending on the power behind the spell.

I would not want the ammo in my gun or on my hip to be hit with that.
    That curse is used to teach defense:

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, Narnia fans.

Which of the four Pevensie children gets a gun? Though tbh I'm tempted to give it to Mrs. Beaver just for the hell of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Lucy. She got shafted on weapons. It’d be awesome to see her shoot the White Witch in the face.
    I mean Lucy is the obvious choice but I am tempted to give it to Susan just to give CS Lewis the middle finger for saying she wouldn't get into heaven because she liked pantyhose and makeup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.