Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account

How would you fix POLICING?

I'm pretty agitated about this Floyd killing.

What are your steps to fix policing?

What do you think of some on social media who are threatening police officers and their families and saying "All I want for Christmas is dead cops/ACAB"

What can be done to fix the relationship between police and American civilians?

Do you fear American policing will be illegitimate in the eyes of many?

Twitter needs to report everyone doing that to the cops, but they are too busy going after the President while they continue to allow that.

I don't fear anything because the overwhelming majority of American's believe in the police and see them as legitimate.

Really what it takes is people being held accountable.

If you murder someone. You get charged, go though the trail, and get to experience prison from the perspective of a ex-cop if found guilty.

Right now.. that doesn't happen most of the time. Suspensions. Maybe a firing. If it come down to arrest and trail it usually is on a low ball charge or eventually ends up getting dropped. When the SAME THING being done by a non-cop is a slam dunk case without things like direct video evidence.

Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Twitter needs to report everyone doing that to the cops, but they are too busy going after the President while they continue to allow that.

I don't fear anything because the overwhelming majority of American's believe in the police and see them as legitimate.
    It's 50-50. A lot of people see the police as illegitimate. The police needs to change their TACTICS before more of them get hurt. PERIOD.

10+ Year Old Account
    @WorldChamps99 HEY, SOCK BOY! How damned many threads are you going to start on "policing"? This is the 4th, with two already locked.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

pfft...lets judge a million police officers by one event.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    @WorldChamps99 HEY, SOCK BOY! How damned many threads are you going to start on "policing"? This is the 4th, with two already locked.
    The real question is how the fuck is his burner account not banned yet with multiple locked threads

I wouldn't. I'd just put more police in high crime areas to bring down the crime rates.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    pfft...lets judge a million police officers by one event.
    Right? How ridiculous would it be if an entire group was judged because of the behavior of a few? /wink wink hint hint
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldChamps99 View Post
    It's 50-50. A lot of people see the police as illegitimate. The police needs to change their TACTICS before more of them get hurt. PERIOD.
    It is not 50-50. Don't let the vocal minority, led by the anti-police leftist media try to tell you otherwise. The overwhelming majority of American believe the police are legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s not one event... it’s the latest in a series of events.
    A fraction of a single percent...over 10 million arrests every year.

Hyperbole makes a poor argument.

Nationalized Police Force

Very simple.

You fucking Americans are living in western times, except with iphones.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Nationalized Police Force

Very simple.

You fucking Americans are living in western times, except with iphones.
    Careful, iphones can access the internet and we all know how deathly afraid of it you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Higher pay, more transparency and more training.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem can't be solved.

The police in the US will inherently be on edge interacting with just about everyone because there are hundreds of millions of firearms in this country and anyone can snuff their life out at any moment, they are never going to devalue their own lives, no amount of policy or procedural change will alter that.

Throw on top of that how a great many African-Americans are inherently distrusting of/antagonistic towards towards police, with good reason; centuries of oppression will do that to people, much of it in recent history at the hands of the state itself via police, which will also never go away...

So long as there are a plethora of firearms in this country (forever), so long as police are human and fear for their lives (forever), so long as African-Americans have a justifiably antagonistic relationship with authorities (forever), nothing will change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    The problem can't be solved.

The police in the US will inherently be on edge interacting with just about everyone because there are hundreds of millions of firearms in this country and anyone can snuff their life out at any moment, they are never going to devalue their own lives, no amount of policy or procedural change will alter that.
    Sounds like they need enough training to have more confidence in their security.

Throw on top of that how a great many African-Americans are inherently distrusting of/antagonistic towards towards police, with good reason; centuries of oppression will do that to people, much of it in recent history at the hands of the state itself via police, which will also never go away...
    Transparency would go pretty far in helping this.

So long as there are a plethora of firearms in this country (forever), so long as police are human and fear for their lives (forever), so long as African-Americans have a justifiably antagonistic relationship with authorities (forever), nothing will change.
    Higher pay would attract more capable people, thus let you reject the less qualified.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post

Sounds like they need enough training to have more confidence in their security.

Transparency would go pretty far in helping this.

Higher pay would attract more capable people, thus let you reject the less qualified.
    Having better training doesn't make someone any less likely to die if the person they are interacting with pulls out a pistol and shoots them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Having better training doesn't make someone any less likely to die if the person they are interacting with pulls out a pistol and shoots them.
    Yes, they can have training for reacting to each of those intervals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons
    Sadly, this attitude is part of the problem: https://news.yahoo.com/george-floyd-...jtc_news_index

A cornerstone of Grossman’s “killology” training is the frame of mind required to do the job.

“Are you emotionally, spiritually, psychologically prepared to snuff out a human life in defense of innocent lives?” Grossman asked officers who attended one of his classes in Ohio. “If you can’t make that decision, you need to find another job.”
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Careful, iphones can access the internet and we all know how deathly afraid of it you are.
    Not when the internet is controlled.
    A controlled and regulated internet has the potential to rocket our species into a science fiction utopia.

But you know...

4chan exists.