Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

While I'm super ok with this being pushed back so it can be polished. I'll be honest my desire to play it has waned pretty seriously. Will i end up playing it? For sure, but is there any excitement left? Not even a little tbh.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Sorry, my bad. I really should have stopped feeding him after about the second reply.

Back on topic: I AM a little worried about melee. I know they SAID that after this demo they weren't happy and had made some big changes to melee.

but, seriously, without totally redoing the engine, what kind of changes can you even make?
    Well as someone who isn't really concerned about the melee combat feel - I would also agree its a good question!

I would think "what changes they could do at this point?" would relate back to the basic questions of :What makes Melee Combat Feel "better?" in these games. Which of course, is a very subjective question - which makes it difficult.

You'd have to look at what players consider "good melee" games and, baring as you said reworking the engine itself, trying to add all the 'side upgrades' that make melee combat feel satisfactory.

Now again, not being a big melee-oriented gamer - I honestly don't know WHAT makes good melee vs. bad. I know for me I notice things like how the hit/punch/kick/etc sounds, how you're POV may change (wobble/offset?) when you swing those punches/kicks, and damage values - off the top of my head - may be some of what they can 'tweak' to make more hefty/'feeling' impacts without having to redesign the whole combat model. Hell for all we know the prologue melee feels weak intentionally, because /IC character story reasons, and everything changes after ABC storypoint. (I don't really think that but just pointing out there are so many valid reasons prologue fighting could be 'weak' on purpose that to me, it makes it more pointless to debate, but YMMV lol).

Since I"m not really sure what everyone else is complaining about from the prologue videos - other than "it looks weak" or "it isn't doing much damage" (?), I don't know what would fix the issue.

"Looking weak" to me translates to that sound/feel I mentioned before. Of the sensory cues humans apparently associate with 'satisfactory fighting'.

"Isn't doing much damage" - taking out the fact that again this is all prologue, level 1, tier 1, skillsets you're seeing in action (that's a whole other standing point lol) - that refers only to 'how many hits does it take to kill stuff.' All that can certainly be balanced with the math and, depending on how the skills levels, may end up being a non-starter issue. Honestly, until people are far enough in the game to know how things scale - there's no way to know right *now* whether or not the melee damage is really 'weak' or balanced or OP. To me, possibly the easiest thing to fix or adjust/patch after release even.

(And if you want someone to stop talking about a point, or to stop arguing, you do have to stop responding. Each person making another 3 pages trying to be the one who comments last just keeps this offtopic crap going lol. Just stop responding!)
    Last edited by Koriani; 2020-07-02 at 03:16 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if 1080ti will be able to play the game at 60fps at decent settings on my 3840x1600 or whether I will have to get 3080ti*
    -K

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    While I'm super ok with this being pushed back so it can be polished. I'll be honest my desire to play it has waned pretty seriously. Will i end up playing it? For sure, but is there any excitement left? Not even a little tbh.
    You lost entire excitement? How so?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

I'm worried not because of the combat. Even though I finally did get to enjoy the more difficult Witcher 3 combat, I have to say I have never considered it a strong suit of the game.

I loved Witcher 3 because of the narrative(especially Blood and Wine), the world, and the characters.

I am worried because it will be very difficult to replace Geralt. Even if they nail the world and nail the narrative(HUGE assumptions) I'm also worried they don't have a Geralt level character I'm going to get to hang out with constantly. Geralt is right up there with my favorite game characters.

Luckily they do have Keanu at least, but are we with him in each dialog option? Also, I LOVE Keanu, but will he be able to carry the game like Geralt did? Concerned but optimistic.

I also have little doubt that a year or two after this game releases, it will be one of the best games ever. I just believe that. I'm only concerned about the state of the game at launch.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I'm worried not because of the combat. Even though I finally did get to enjoy the more difficult Witcher 3 combat, I have to say I have never considered it a strong suit of the game.

I loved Witcher 3 because of the narrative(especially Blood and Wine), the world, and the characters.

I am worried because it will be very difficult to replace Geralt. Even if they nail the world and nail the narrative(HUGE assumptions) I'm also worried they don't have a Geralt level character I'm going to get to hang out with constantly. Geralt is right up there with my favorite game characters.

Luckily they do have Keanu at least, but are we with him in each dialog option? Also, I LOVE Keanu, but will he be able to carry the game like Geralt did? Concerned but optimistic.

I also have little doubt that a year or two after this game releases, it will be one of the best games ever. I just believe that. I'm only concerned about the state of the game at launch.
    You can't really compare both characters. Geralt was a full package, with name, story, looks, attitude etc. V is customizable, like Dragon Age protagonists. That reduces some if his character, giving flexibility instead.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-07-02 at 07:40 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Biiiig yikes on the fist fight with the "twins". Really hope thats not the final product.
    We talking yikes from the perspective of how the twins were fighting? Because I thought the way the player interacted and blocked, etc all looked awesome and also very much like a real, competent fighter.

Why do so many games struggle to not make fist fights look like drunken sailors having a stroke.
    2 reasons:

1) real fighting is a lot more fluid and fast paced with a lot more precise control over the movements. Attempting to get that type of stuff closer to real life is pretty much #notwurf unless it's the actual meat and focus of the game.

Trying to program a million points of impact, a million degrees of variation in animations, etc, would just be too time consuming. You can go the other direction of just coreographed quick time events, like a lot of batman fights in the arkham games, but that's less freedom and more just about "hit x when the screen says so" which I think is less fun.

2) Most scrubs wouldn't be able to comprehend and properly react in a real fight that had even mild levels of granularity. Again, if it's not the focus of the game, it's simply just a minigame. Expect it to get a minigame's worth of effort.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2020-07-02 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    We talking yikes from the perspective of how the twins were fighting? Because I thought the way the player interacted and blocked, etc all looked awesome and also very much like a real, competent fighter.

2 reasons:

1) real fighting is a lot more fluid and fast paced with a lot more precise control over the movements. Attempting to get that type of stuff closer to real life is pretty much #notwurf unless it's the actual meat and focus of the game.

Trying to program a million points of impact, a million degrees of variation in animations, etc, would just be too time consuming. You can go the other direction of just coreographed quick time events, like a lot of batman fights in the arkham games, but that's less freedom and more just about "hit x when the screen says so" which I think is less fun.

2) Most scrubs wouldn't be able to comprehend and properly react in a real fight that had even mild levels of granularity. Again, if it's not the focus of the game, it's simply just a minigame. Expect it to get a minigame's worth of effort.
    I'm aware I have higher standards than most, but I think anything put in the game deserves the time and attention to make it the best possible. Obviously there are time and budget restraints so decisions need to be made on where to put most focus.

But if you're gonna put a mini game in the game, you may as well try make it good rather than just having a check list on the back of the game you can tick off.

If your melee combat looks worse than a EA fighting game, maybe it deserves a new approach or style.

The last of us 2 has like two segments where you play guitar but they fully incorporated guitar chords so you could play any song you like as a mini game.

That kinda detail and level of refinement makes your game go from an 8 out of 10 to a 10 out of 10.
    Last edited by Volatilis; 2020-07-02 at 11:05 PM.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    snip
    That's fair. Like I said, I don't have too much issue with the twins scene other than the fact that they came at the player one at a time. The actual parts where the player fights back look phenomenal to me, though I don't know how much of that was actual player input versus automatically choreographed stuff, etc. Time will tell for me, but I still remain hopeful and I don't see it as some sort of glaring flaw.

That person going on about witcher 3's combat being bad was also not something I agreed with. At first? Sure. It was slow, boring, tedious. But by the time I had lots of levels in and knew the systems, it was on-par with my favorite combat systems of dark souls or kingdoms of amalur.

Seeing how the Witcher series have been cultivated, i can't wait for Cyberpunk, even if it differs from my beloved series. CDPR is really trustworthy when it comes down to quality and gameplay (esp. story), so I am hyped even though they delayed it again

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    You assume it was pushed to be polished. Or that polishing will take place. Looking at nasty habit of CDPR to release patches that polish the games after launch (all witcher titles) i highly doubt that.

My best guess is missmanagment and/or game is unplayable due to some serious bugs. Also, better to release game close to christmas than in summer time.

5+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    I am avoiding all videos, previews and stuff on it as much as possible.
    I dont need the oppinion of terrible journos with subpar gameplay. I want to fully freshly immerse myself in it when it launches .

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I am worried because it will be very difficult to replace Geralt.
    The main character of Cyberpunk could never talk at all and he would still be better then that walking fanfic character Geralt.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    The main character of Cyberpunk could never talk at all and he would still be better then that walking fanfic character Geralt.
    What fanfic? The character is faithful to it's source material.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are you even on about? There's nothing wrong with him, you don't have to like his personality(He's course) but he was written well.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    What are you even on about? There's nothing wrong with him, you don't have to like his personality(He's course) but he was written well.
    I would say hes the worst part of the witcher games. He's a witcher so he's a bad ass fighter but witchers are mutated so they are feared and hated. Not mutated in any bad way that would make him ugly or anything tho. His mutation makes him look super cool, immune to diseases and sterile so he can have sex with any woman he wants with no repercussions. Don't witchers live way longer then normal people too?

The only time i ever liked playing as Geralt was when he was drunk or possessed by that ghost.

I would say hes the worst part of the witcher games. He's a witcher so he's a bad ass fighter but witchers are mutated so they are feared and hated. Not mutated in any bad way that would make him ugly or anything tho. His mutation makes him look super cool, immune to diseases and sterile so he can have sex with any woman he wants with no repercussions. Don't witchers live way longer then normal people too?

The only time i ever liked playing as Geralt was when he was drunk or possessed by that ghost.
    They are hated not because they are ugly but because they are different from the average drunk in tavern = the norm. People fear what they dont understand/know and you an easily switch that fear into hate. This is really strong topic in witcher universe.

And why his mutations should be ugly? His mutation were in immune and nervous system. Fun fact = in books it was stated he cant be reliable interrogated (tortued) because his delicate nervous system would propably instantly break.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Donatello Trumpi View Post
    I am avoiding all videos, previews and stuff on it as much as possible.
    I dont need the oppinion of terrible journos with subpar gameplay. I want to fully freshly immerse myself in it when it launches .
    At the very least watch/read reviews before buying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    You can't really compare both characters. Geralt was a full package, with name, story, looks, attitude etc. V is customizable, like Dragon Age protagonists. That reduces some if his character, giving flexibility instead.
    That's why the supporting cast will matter even more. And the main reason Inquisition and Andromeda both failed for me, compared to the other games in the series.

The witcher games did have some compelling supporting cast though, so I'm optimistic.

How is he a "walking fanfic characteR" when he's literally an actual character from a fiction series.
    I think you need to look up the definition of terms before you use them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose221 View Post
    How is he a "walking fanfic characteR" when he's literally an actual character from a fiction series.
    I think you need to look up the definition of terms before you use them.
    It means he's LIKE a bad fanfic character.