Poll: How are you spending 4th July 2020

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How you gonna spend 4th of July?

So, it's 4th of July time, but something is not the same in American society today, the question is, how are you going to spend 4th of July?

Are you going to be celebrating?
    Abolishing in favour of Juneteenth ?
    Indoors?
    Outdoors?
    Regular day at work?
    Last edited by Beloren; 2020-07-03 at 05:40 PM.

It is my birthday. xD

I don't celebrate the 4th of July anyway, so there's nothing to cancel. It's not that I hate my country, I just don't feel compelled to celebrate it.

Even if we did celebrate, it'd just be a private celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    So, it's 4th of July time, but something is not the same in American society today, the question is, how are you going to spend 4th of July?

Are you going to be celebrating?
    Abolishing in favour of Juneteenth ?
    Indoors?
    Outdoors?
    Regular day at work?
    You don't have a work option.

bastards I work 365 days a year!!! /shakeangryfist.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

i dont celebrate this holiday nor thanksgiving due to its history and what has been currently going on for the past years and what's currently going on. absolutely disgusting to say the least as to describe it.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

According to the internet there are a few states that are going on a flash-lynching tomorrow, could be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    You don't have a work option.

bastards I work 365 days a year!!! /shakeangryfist.
    meh, it's Saturday, I assumed you won't be working. my bad.

Btw.. hope no one is planning on tearing down statutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    According to the internet there are a few states that are going on a flash-lynching tomorrow, could be interesting.
    A violent 4th of July would be a first, hope they don't

10+ Year Old Account
    I've made no plans/don't really care. My uncle does a party sometimes, but it doesn't seem to be the case this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What does that even mean?
    my guess is what little violence will be had, they will blame it on the uber organized super serious threat to America called, Antifa.... /s
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Just moved, so I don't know the area that well. Prolly spend some time unpacking, and...? No plans yet.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

I celebrate it with family. I'm an immigrant, but I do celebrate the 4th in addition to my country's independence day as well. I also do Thanksgiving while in the US.

Every holiday has some aspect behind it for some dork to say it's offensive to celebrate it. Even the most innocuous holiday can offend someone nowadays because it has even the slightest religious undertone, or some figure they don't like. I don't let that stop me.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2020-07-03 at 07:31 PM.

What does that even mean?
    I shouldn't have posted it if I can't be bothered to go find the image, but to be clear, I think it's all nonsense, and I'll concede saying "according to the internet" isn't an explicit "this is sarcasm" tag.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    my guess is what little violence will be had, they will blame it on the uber organized super serious threat to America called, Antifa.... /s
    Something like that; but I think it was more in the opposite direction "This is our chance to push back against all the violent leftists that have been destroying American property!" but that doesn't stop anyone blaming antifa I guess :P
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I mean, I'm BBQing with like, 3 other people, including my mother. That's about it.

We haven't gone somewhere to watch fireworks since we were kids (and I'm 39 now), nor do we ever throw a big party. It's always just a family BBQ.

Would I celebrate, absolutely. But I'm not because of Covid. Although NJ has shown recovering numbers, I still think it's prudent to avoid mass social gatherings of any kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure yeah and it's weird that anyone wouldn't support independence from a monarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I celebrate it with family. I'm an immigrant, but I do celebrate the 4th in addition to my country's independence day as well. I also do Thanksgiving while in the US.

Every holiday has some aspect behind it for some dork to say it's offensive to celebrate it. Even the most innocuous holiday can offend someone nowadays because it has even the slightest religious undertone, or some figure they don't like. I don't let that stop me.
    Aren't you greek?

My family is from the West Indies and Latin America. They were either slaves or oppressed during 1776, and freed slaves at the time gave arguments for why all slaves should be free given the arguments the colonies were giving to the British.

Do you think it makes tons of sense for me to celebrate the holiday? Nothing really changed, if anything things were made worse for minorities due to American independence. At least the British at the time wanted to stop expanding west as it was causing too much war and conflict with the native Americans.

Just seems nonsense to celebrate it to me. What am I celebrating? America getting it's "independence" probably has a direct negative effect on my ancestors, than if Britain had maintained their control.

We can simply look to the Harlem Renaissance to see the vast differences in culture between West Indian blacks and American blacks. Which raised because the British weren't as cruel as the Americans were to blacks post the ending of slavery.

It’s still nonsensical to me regardless of you saying it’s a meme. Any chance you could, idk, give me your basic understanding since you can’t find the meme?
    ok .

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Something like that; but I think it was more in the opposite direction "This is our chance to push back against all the violent leftists that have been destroying American property!" but that doesn't stop anyone blaming antifa I guess :P

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Sure yeah and it's weird that anyone wouldn't support independence from a monarchy.
    Because the "monarchy" by this period of time had a robust parliamentary system and was less cruel (however slightly) than the representative aristocracy America set up.

People who say things like this I feel do not know much about history... the first civil war, which is truly what the "independence war" was, and at the time many colonies regarded it as a civil war.

They disregard the wealthy ruling elite class, the way they manipulated the populace to hate Britain to such a point they refused high quality cheap tea for contraband counterfeit cheap dutch tea because they felt it was a hoax or a bribe...

They disregard the damage the colonies were doing to the crown, and the debt they are plunging them into, and the fact they essentially wanted to take no responsibility for it. While "no taxes without representation" was a rallying cry to the average masses who paid a very small tax as it was a progressive tax. The wealthy with their merchant lobbies were extremely influential within parliament already. Which was the very reason why the crown didn't want to give them voting power on top of that as voting power plus wealthy merchant lobbies, makes for a very one sided house.

There were a plethora of other issues of course, but it is a much more involved event.

And to say "you must be against monarchy" is foolish... Afghanistan was a little better off with their rather progressive monarch who wanted to buddy up with the west.
    Last edited by Themius; 2020-07-03 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Aren't you greek?

My family is from the West Indies and Latin America. They were either slaves or oppressed during 1776, and freed slaves at the time gave arguments for why all slaves should be free given the arguments the colonies were giving to the British.

Do you think it makes tons of sense for me to celebrate the holiday? Nothing really changed, if anything things were made worse for minorities due to American independence. At least the British at the time wanted to stop expanding west as it was causing too much war and conflict with the native Americans.

Just seems nonsense to celebrate it to me. What am I celebrating? America getting it's "independence" probably has a direct negative effect on my ancestors, than if Britain had maintained their control.

We can simply look to the Harlem Renaissance to see the vast differences in culture between West Indian blacks and American blacks. Which raised because the British weren't as cruel as the Americans were to blacks post the ending of slavery.
    Yep, I am Greek, which means I've got slaves in my family a lot more recent than any African-American does (my grandfather), I celebrate the 4th because it's my host country and because it's a good chance to spend time and bond with friends and family here. If I commemorated every dark chapter in Greece's millennia-long history I'd never have a day to do anything else.

I'll agree though, Americans treated blacks worse for longer than other westerners did. Plenty of black veterans in the First and Second world wars were shocked to see how they were treated much better by the British, French, etc than they were back home. So I don't disagree that the Brits started improving sooner.

My point was every holiday has something to take offense about if you're looking.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2020-07-03 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Yep, I am Greek, which means I've got slaves in my family a lot more recent than any African-American does (my grandfather), I celebrate the 4th because it's my host country and because it's a good chance to spend time and bond with friends and family here. If I commemorated every dark chapter in Greece's millennia-long history I'd never have a day to do anything else.
    I don't know if you know this but... lots of black Americans great grandparents were slaves... how long ago do you think slavery ended?

I am saying that it doesn't make sense to pick a fight with people because they don't view the sense in the holiday for them.

Black Americans are American first. America isn't their host country. Instead it was the country that in 1776 decided they remain slaves for nearly another century when they got their independence from the British, who incidentally ended slavery some thirty years before the Americans.

For black and native Americans, Americas independence did great harm to them. And before you say "but it was so long ago"

It took about 200 years for more serious work to be done to rectify issues, which still aren't solved today...

We aren't talking Millenia by the way...