Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    EDIT: I re-read the excerpt and... I'm even more confused. There is nothing I can see that's even vaguely foppish going on, let alone LVL70LGBTQ. Did some homophobe misread Flynn grabbing Shaw's "wrist" as "waist" and went off the deep end about BAD TOUCH GAY PIRATE MAN?
    Wait... I misread it, it's indeed wrist not waist, which is even more confusing. Are you calling me a homophobe though? D:

I don't know, the only other thing is that both Shaw and Flynn went into captain's cabin, but even then it's far-fetched...

Edit: BTW - if they just leave it up to interpretation, then how would that work well for LGBT? If anything, that would show that Blizzard is afraid to just straight up show them as gay, which works pretty much against the LGBT crowd.
    Last edited by TickTickTick; 2020-07-08 at 11:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    Wait... I misread it, it's indeed wrist not waist, which is even more confusing. Are you calling me a homophobe though? D:
    I don't know! Are you all up in arms about the fact two grown men had to touch eachother to make sure one of them wasn't washed overboard on a ship in a storm? Cause if you aint, then I ain't!
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Why is it needed? Because representation? Token relationship just to have it? Yeah no. I don't like these at all, straight or queer.

If it happens organically, developes naturally, shown humanely, all for it.

I can definately understand the feeling of having part of yourself neglected if you're queer, and it's now often shown in media, really. I have high-functioning autism and autism in general hasn't really been portrayed kindly all the time either. No, it's not exactly the same, but it's not like people can't empathize with a similar premise.

I prefer my stories to be about people, not ideals or one-note descriptors in human skin.

That's all I would like, the rest is whatever it is.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you infer that from? I've now written several comments to the contrary.
    Since a few years you cannot put anything gay anywhere because no matter how, people complain that is serves no purpose is only tokenism and whatnot. There is NO way to make a gay character which will find your approval or and people i discussed with here in the forums.

You are searching for something that does not exist. Because the moment a gay character appears the anti SJW crowd will them-self MAKE this character nothing else than a token and ignore anything else. Flin and Shaw WOULD be organic. It developed over time. That said IF it even happens as there is no prove whatsoever right now that it will even happen.

But you decided already, that it will not be anything you can accept as you don't WANT something like this.

I REALLY can't be arsed to read more than a paragraph of this stuff. The writing is SOO awful and cringey.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Since a few years you cannot put anything gay anywhere because no matter how, people complain that is serves no purpose is only tokenism and whatnot. There is NO way to make a gay character which will find your approval or and people i discussed with here in the forums.

You are searching for something that does not exist. Because the moment a gay character appears the anti SJW crowd will them-self MAKE this character nothing else than a token and ignore anything else. Flin and Shaw WOULD be organic. It developed over time. That said IF it even happens as there is no prove whatsoever right now that it will even happen.

But you decided already, that it will not be anything you can accept as you don't WANT something like this.
    No, I haven't decided already, and I don't know where you're getting that from at all. Please don't put words in my mouth, thanks. The excerpt from the book does not mean anything as to a romantic relationship, and some random person I don't know on the internet saying that now it's official without anything to back it up doesn't matter either.

If the book lays it out, great! If it's written well, even better! Until it does, it's not a thing. That's all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    No, I haven't decided already, and I don't know where you're getting that from at all. Please don't put words in my mouth, thanks. The excerpt from the book does not mean anything as to a romantic relationship, and some random person I don't know on the internet saying that now it's official without anything to back it up doesn't matter either.

If the book lays it out, great! If it's written well, even better! Until it does, it's not a thing. That's all.
    Plain, unobjective facts. Argueing against these will make you look pretty stupid.

...meaning it's perfect for an MMO-thread to get to 20+ pages on!
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Plain, unobjective facts. Argueing against these will make you look pretty stupid.

What are you even on about...?

Nah. At some point someone will charge in with insults about gay people in general and the mods will have to close the thread. As happens with i think every thread the word gay was uttered.
    (nothing against mods, rather the idiots who step to low)

But for know the thread seems to be save^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Oh man, same here. I know that Blizzard said that Symmetra from Overwatch is Autistic, but I just think that some people will think that they were trying to play on the 'Autistic people love technical stuff! And math too!' kind of thing, but it's kind of not my thing since not all induviduals with Autism can do math. I'm high-functioning and can't do basic math for some reason lol

Still, it would be cool for Blizzard to put in a character who has Autism or even ADHD.

I also like having my stories just be about people too

(Sorry if I accidently offend anyone with the part I said about Autistic people liking technology/math, I wasn't trying to be rude )
    I didn't see it as rude. It isn't uncommon for autistics to be better at math, but it isn't the norm. I can't do math to save my life either.

But yeh. It would be nice to see more varied characters, be it on the spectrum or lgbt. Just don't force it in like it's their only character traits. Not what's going on here, but it's too early to say if it's actually coming to fruition or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I'm actually wondering how much of this novel will remain unknown given the sheer number of previews and snippets that have been disclosed so far? It feels like I could assemble all the pre-released material thus far and have 2/3's of the novel.
    Eh, can't be worse than BtS and the Amazon leak for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilfish View Post
    Oh boy. I had a feeling there will be stuff like this when I saw the picture of the writer. Well, at least I know not to waste money on this crap.
    What has the look of someone got to do with anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Let's keep this thread civil and keep the real-world politics to a minimum as well. It's fine to discuss themes of the book, including possible character pairings, but keep it topical and confined to the fiction.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    how thick this book will be to have so much(in my opinion) unnecessary stuff? if keep like this the main plot will be rushed, rly disliked the before the storm book

Also, isn't shaw with that elf woman, are we screaming when there is nothing at all

10+ Year Old Account
    What I don't like with all that "representation" stuff is that it seems impossible to show friendships developing whether in litterature or movies without some people either lauding or denouncing a new homosexual relationship. It's like close friendships can't exist anymore. Personaly, I would prefer if Shaw and Flynn become great friends. There is enough in common between them and enough contrasting differences to make it interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I REALLY can't be arsed to read more than a paragraph of this stuff. The writing is SOO awful and cringey.
    What's so cringy about it? It's just Flynn being himself, Shaw being himself and a storm. What did you expect? Some Jane Austen? Or Dostoievsky?
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Also, isn't shaw with that elf woman, are we screaming when there is nothing at all
    He's single.

He talked with Valeera ABOUT a love interest, he didn't flirt with her.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    are you guys reading the same I am?

I'm not seeing confirmation that Flynn x Shaw is a canon thing. All I read is concern for Shaw being a landlubber.
    https://blizzardwatch.com/2020/07/07...adeleine-roux/
    writer confirms it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vaedan View Post
    Yes, I also miss that part where Shaw and Flynn have some romantic interaction, similar to those of Lor'themar and Thalyssra had.

We also know that Flynn is into Taelia since Freehold and I had this feeling that Shaw is actually into Valeera, after his interaction with her in Stormwind Embassy following defeat of N'zoth...
    bisexual people exist

I always wanted Shaw to be more like Batman. Have him just appear when needed out of nowhere and vanish when dismissed. Anduin can call for him during a cinematic and he'll suddenly be right behind him. Bonus points if he's called for with smoke signals or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    What I don't like with all that "representation" stuff is that it seems impossible to show friendships developing whether in litterature or movies without some people either lauding or denouncing a new homosexual relationship. It's like close friendships can't exist anymore. Personaly, I would prefer if Shaw and Flynn become great friends. There is enough in common between them and enough contrasting differences to make it interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

What's so cringy about it? It's just Flynn being himself, Shaw being himself and a storm. What did you expect? Some Jane Austen? Or Dostoievsky?
    Well yeah. People like to see themselves in games. So they hope stuff like this happens. And many people just like to see diversity.

But the fact is that there next to no gay characters in video games. No prominent at least. So no fear. It probably will still be possibly to have friendships in fiction as it has always been. Because i have seen no evidence that friendship have vanished.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    For anyone who's curious it's the 3 minute mark, apparently Blizzard just told Roux make them gay in the outline she was given. So even though the excerpt in OP is decidedly lacking in any sort of romantic communication and features Shaw's glaring lack of interest and actual annoyance in Flynn and his mannerisms, some point later in the novel they're banging I guess? (Although the spoiler free review says they dunno about it as it's vague) I guess grabbing someone's hand and getting soused is enough for a relationship to blossom. That is unless it's a massive bait and switch and Roux is talking about her prominent Zandalari coupling and not "FairShaws" as it's apparently called. Listened further, can confirm grabbing hands in a storm makes you a couple.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    Same, I'm confused what people are all up in a tizzy about *this* time. I'm too busy enjoying Flynn being Flynn and Shaw being forced into situations where he can't do his usual grim brooding routine.

EDIT: I re-read the excerpt and... I'm even more confused. There is nothing I can see that's even vaguely foppish going on, let alone LVL70LGBTQ. Did some homophobe misread Flynn grabbing Shaw's "wrist" as "waist" and went off the deep end about BAD TOUCH GAY PIRATE MAN?
    Not to mention that in game didn't they confirm that Shaw likes a dark haired girl, when he's talking to valeera?

Edit: nvm it's Flynn who likes taelia not Shaw.
    Last edited by Minikin; 2020-07-08 at 04:12 PM.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)