Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    The maps.

In Chronicles 1, Kul Tiras is that small island near Gilneas.
    In Chronicles 3, it's the continent we know today.

It's something small for some, but I find it massive. No explanation, no mention - they wanted it to be bigger, so it's bigger, but I really wish it was the same size through all Chronicles volumes at least for consistence's sake. It's as if they planned the lore on the go while producing the volumes.
    Sorry, but more detailed (and post Cataclysm) map don't pass as for me as retcon. For me it would some info from book 3 that is direct contradiction to info from book 1. Something like "Sargeras was corrupted by Eredars" -> "Sargeras started Burning Legion, invited and corrupted some Eredars".

Same apply to info from Legion/BfA/SL, I didn't notice any significant retcon from Chronicles or heard any examples, just "OMG they retconned chronicles". But I repeat, I didn't analize this info from all this sources.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    They're already covered though.

Play the game.
    Volumes three covered in game stuff and was used to canonise who did what raids/dungeons and clarify stuff.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Sorry, but more detailed (and post Cataclysm) map don't pass as for me as retcon.
    Oh, yeah, the land just... expanded.

Must be like a sponge, I guess.

It also must have drifted away slowly. The... continent.

Kul tiras is the sizr of gilneas in atleast one of the volume three maps. Page 102

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    Kul tiras is the sizr of gilneas in atleast one of the volume three maps. Page 102
    Silly Gilneans, colonized a sponge and named it Kul Tiras.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

Read my post again. I was talking about (undetailed) maps. I would consider a retcon if they (in book 1) tell us or show some pictures how Kul Tiras looks like and in-game/Chronicle 3 version would be nothing like that.

And yep, I can see confinent pushed back by a global cataclysm. We saw more wacky stuff in Azeroth, like you know, huge sword sticking from ground and visible from cosmos. But I didn't saw any info that Kul Tiras was pushed from main continent, so it's just headcanon at this moment.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Read my post again. I was talking about (undetailed) maps. I would consider a retcon if they (in book 1) tell us or show some pictures how Kul Tiras looks like and in-game/Chronicle 3 version would be nothing like that.
    Kul Tiras is now like THREE TIMES IT'S SIZE. Hell, even it's position was important in relation to Zul'dare and Hillsbrad in the initial Warcraft games.

And considering the Chronicles maps, it should have been at least more consistent to avoid confusions and posts like mine pointing out the resemblance between Kul Tiran Homeland and Sponges.

As I said, small for some, big for me.

Silly Gilneans, colonized a sponge and named it Kul Tiras.
    But you're just wrong. Kul Tiras isn't bigger then any other human kingdom. Its in game size is exaggerated for easy of clicking on the map screen.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    But you're just wrong. Kul Tiras isn't bigger then any other human kingdom. Its in game size is exaggerated for easy of clicking on the map screen.
    I didn't relate it's size to other human kingdoms, I said that there are several different representations of Kul Tiras on Chronicles and they aren't consistent.

I didn't relate it's size to other human kingdoms, I said that there are several different representations of Kul Tiras on Chronicles and they aren't consistent.
    You keep calling it a continent.....

And it wasnt until it was shown in wow and hadn't been seen since like Warcraft 2.

I am kinda torn. On the one hand, it would be awesome to get even more lore and good artwork (III was... not as good, though...), on the other - how soon until another retcon and "POV" crap for the supposed lore bible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Kul Tiras is now like THREE TIMES IT'S SIZE. Hell, even it's position was important in relation to Zul'dare and Hillsbrad in the initial Warcraft games.

And considering the Chronicles maps, it should have been at least more consistent to avoid confusions and posts like mine pointing out the resemblance between Kul Tiran Homeland and Sponges.

As I said, small for some, big for me.
    Sure, if different size on map (before we went there) vs current map is big problem for you, it's fine.

I just expected more clear example, I heard many times than Chronicle 3 or Shadowlands are "massive retcons from early Chronicles", but no one show me that yet.

Sure, if different size on map (before we went there) vs current map is big problem for you, it's fine.

I just expected more clear example, I heard many times than Chronicle 3 or Shadowlands are "massive retcons from early Chronicles", but no one show me that yet.
    The only stuff im aware of is the changing of who made all the Lich Kings armour from Dreadlords to people of the Shadowlands which is whatever really.

What's the fucking point? Blizzard has proven with Shadowlands that they don't give a fuck about coherent continuity.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You keep calling it a continent.....

And it wasn't until it was shown in wow and hadn't been seen since like Warcraft 2.
    It's referenced as a continent, island, nation, island-nation, kingdom, etc - I will use any of those names to refer to it so that text doesn't get repetitive.

It's also a sponge.

It's referenced as a continent, island, nation, island-nation, kingdom, etc - I will use any of those names to refer to it so that text doesn't get repetitive.

It's also a sponge.
    Is it referred to a continent anywhere except the very specific menaing used in game?

Also sponge? Its gotten bigger once.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I don't really agree with their decision either, but that by no means renders the Chronicle series non-canon or even non-important. They're still an invaluable reference, as well as one of the most up-to-date going back all the way to the more patchwork and previously updated lore of WC1 and WC2.
    Same way expanded universe is canon. As in, we can use ideas from here that we like and discard the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    Imagine buying those three beauties and then Blizzard told you that none of them is in fact actual encyclopedia of first hand knowledge.
    Thats me.
    Fuck you, Blizzard.
    You and me both

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it referred to a continent anywhere except the very specific menaing used in game?

Also sponge? Its gotten bigger once.
    Yes, it's referred as a continent in-game, so what?

And while chronicles only enbiggens Kul Tiras once, the in-game version on the map does it again. But one is too many, especially considering that Chronicles was advertised like some "compendium" of the lore.

Again: Small problem for most, sponge problem for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Same way expanded universe is canon. As in, we can use ideas from here that we like and discard the rest.
    Kind of the opposite, actually. They can add bits and pieces here and there, even retroactively, as outside of or beyond the Titans' purview - but they can't alter or change events already chronicled, as it were.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead