Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Things that surprised me about classic.

So hey guys, maybe a bit of an odd thread, but now that Im almost level 60, I figured id just wanna hear other peoples opinion on this. You know things that surprised me and whatnot.

1. I did not remember us being this weak - I knew combat would be slower, but it does not seem to matter if you're fully epic geared, you still struggle in 5 mans. Unless the hole group is BIS geared, it just goes slow. The other day I tanked LBRS at 56, with a semi-epic geared restro shaman, figured it would be easy, but no...Still many breaks, snooze fest.

2. Next point to that is gear - Im surprised how little gear matters. Now I dont want it like on retail where people in BIS gear from last patch can't even do damage, but today I did a MC attune quest, our tank was a BIS furyprot warrior with even thunderfury - Like...hes the shit then you would think, but even my admittedly good geared arms DPS keept up with him on meters. I understand hes tanking, and not DPSing, but gear should matter more...I know using devilsaur, black dragonscale set, lionheart helm etc before level 60 is not very common, but...I was thinking he would carry us so hard I would be bored, like when you see that 1 amazing tank in heirlooms or w/e on retail being insane when lvling...You know what I mean.

3. There are a lot of outright broken and silly things - Going back to the furyprot warrior above; Why does procs pull mobs (We wiped once, nearly twice due to this thunderfury)? Why does aggro range pull mobs below the floors? There are so many silly things that should had been fixed.

4. A lot of abilities dont fill a role or its needlessly clunky to use effectively. I would for instance love if one could use Thunderclap in defensive stance. Some of these things just dont know sense, like slam. Im sure you have abilities that also dont make sense.

5. Gold struggle aint even a thing. When I first started on classic probly 2-3 months after it had launched I went to Thunderbluff and already saw many on epic mount. People were geared out and done pretty much as well. But the gold especially suprised me. I remember back in vanilla on my high pop realm back then, the prices were so much less, than what they are now. A flask cost 180g or some, arcanite bar 80g...Like these prices are insane, which leads me to think everyone has to much gold - Which I also quickly saw in my self. Granted im an AH player, so I just do my thing, but making like 4000-5000g before im level 60 is kinda silly. The inflation is stupid, and I dont understand how...1 example is devilsaur set, I remember making them on my druid in vanilla for 25-30g, and now they are always 75-100g etc.

6. Leveling I somewhat thought would be worse. Yes it sucks, I hate lvling, and classic lvling is even more aids with awful quests, but its not as bad as I thought it would be.

7. Classic seems to have attract people that have never played video games, or wow before. I have seen some good players, but I have also seen some outright...Look, I dont wanna be negative, but damn...If you think retail is bad, I dont even wanna hear you. I can jump right now into LFG, do my weekly freehold 15 meme and be done.

So I'll end it there, could probly think of more, but yea...
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    1. I did not remember us being this weak - I knew combat would be slower, but it does not seem to matter if you're fully epic geared, you still struggle in 5 mans. Unless the hole group is BIS geared, it just goes slow. The other day I tanked LBRS at 56, with a semi-epic geared restro shaman, figured it would be easy, but no...Still many breaks, snooze fest.
    If the Healer is shit and uses highest Rank healing spells, yeah, they still go oom super fast.
    The key as an efficient healer in Classic lies in downranking.

If i spam max rank Lesser Healing wave, i am oom within less than a minute.
    2. Next point to that is gear - Im surprised how little gear matters
    Arms >>> Fury in Dungeons.

Because Sweeping Strikes and WW carries so damn hard.

If the guy was Arms and had shit like Ashkandi, he would've went to town in any dungeon.
    Even if you're not Arms, you should still go 2h in dungeons because Whirlwind does so much more damage with 2h.

Like, check the weapon damage on TF and compare it to a Blue 2h Weapon.
    Why does aggro range pull mobs below the floors? There are so many silly things that should had been fixed.
    Tol Dagor.

Nuff said.
    5. Gold struggle aint even a thing. When I first started on classic probly 2-3 months after it had launched I went to Thunderbluff and already saw many on epic mount. People were geared out and done pretty much as well.
    People from private server community know how to generate raw gold and how valueable that is in the early days.

Like, investing 100-200g in the early days can turn into thousands a few months down the line.
    I can jump right now into LFG, do my weekly freehold 15 meme and be done.
    Because a +15 already filters the worst of the worst people on Retail, there is no such filter on Classic.

Are Classic players on average still worse? Perhaps, but you don't meet super bad players due to Retail being a lot more segregated.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2020-07-20 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    If the Healer is shit and uses highest Rank healing spells, yeah, they still go oom super fast.
    The key as an efficient healer in Classic lies in downranking.
    Ah thanks man, good write-up. Yea, I knew about spell ranks / odd gear slots, my druid was using was it 3 or 4 healing touch ranks IIRC. But still, its so slow with all the mana breaks Maybe it is filter thing yes on groups, still it surprised me when I had like 2-3 awful runs in mara for scepter, or bad ZF runs. I never have such bad experience on retail - Granted I dont do a lot of 5 mans etc, but the worst I see in BFA is like a semi-tard in a weekly island azerite cap, not something thats so bad I almost wanna ignore them and take a break from the game.

Constructive Criticism
    - Djuntas rolls a 4
    - A rumble is heard from the depths
    - You have accidentally summoned the Nostalgic Fanboi
    - PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

- Nostalgic Fanboi casts "You are just playing the game wrong" hitting you for 6 damage
    - Nostalgic Fanboi casts "Find a guild and play with them!"
    - Nostalgic Fanboi casts "Classic is too hard for you, go play retail!"

- Try as you might, you are overwhelmed by Nostalgic Fanboi

Gear doesn't seem to matter because world buffs are such an enormous increase they make gear look pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    Gear doesn't seem to matter because world buffs are such an enormous increase they make gear look pitiful.
    oh yea, thats another insane silly thing. I have seen like 2-3 times where some guy turns in his quest or what do I know...Dont wanna know how these buffs works, and some retard goes apeshit in chat over it. These world buffs are so dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh yea, thats another insane silly thing. I have seen like 2-3 times where some guy turns in his quest or what do I know...Dont wanna know how these buffs works, and some retard goes apeshit in chat over it. These world buffs are so dumb.
    World buffs are indeed stupid, but people get mad because servers organize dropping heads/hearts to maximize everyone's ability to get them prior to raid times. Your server Discord will have an entire channel about organizing it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your healer was shit, as a BWL geared priest I can do scholo/strat without having to stop to drink a single time now

If you think retail is bad, I dont even wanna hear you. I can jump right now into LFG, do my weekly freehold 15 meme and be done.
    Oh that means it's great then.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    World buffs are indeed stupid, but people get mad because servers organize dropping heads/hearts to maximize everyone's ability to get them prior to raid times. Your server Discord will have an entire channel about organizing it.
    One of my least favourite things about classic. The content is blatantly not designed for world buff stacking.

And then people say "Yeah sure there's a button right there that will increase your damage by 200%, but you can just not use it!" in a team based, competitive environment.

Resto shamans have no passive mana regen like druids and priests have. Their only mana regen (except the 5 min cd) comes from Mana spring totem, which gives 400 mana over 1 minute, but then you can't use your other water totems.

Look, I dont wanna be negative
    Are you sure? All you posted was bait, negativity. We appreciate your opinion, but save it for your blog next time.

10+ Year Old Account
    So hey guys, maybe a bit of an odd thread, but now that Im almost level 60, I figured id just wanna hear other peoples opinion on this. You know things that surprised me and whatnot.

Either your healer sucked or you were doing something wrong while tanking.

2. Next point to that is gear - Im surprised how little gear matters. Now I dont want it like on retail where people in BIS gear from last patch can't even do damage, but today I did a MC attune quest, our tank was a BIS furyprot warrior with even thunderfury - Like...hes the shit then you would think, but even my admittedly good geared arms DPS keept up with him on meters. I understand hes tanking, and not DPSing, but gear should matter more...I know using devilsaur, black dragonscale set, lionheart helm etc before level 60 is not very common, but...I was thinking he would carry us so hard I would be bored, like when you see that 1 amazing tank in heirlooms or w/e on retail being insane when lvling...You know what I mean.
    Arms is terrible except at cleave, which it excels at. Which makes it great for dungeons since they're 99% cleave. 2H in general are better than 1h for cleave, even if you're dual wield fury.

3. There are a lot of outright broken and silly things - Going back to the furyprot warrior above; Why does procs pull mobs (We wiped once, nearly twice due to this thunderfury)? Why does aggro range pull mobs below the floors? There are so many silly things that should had been fixed.
    Every expansion has things like this.

4. A lot of abilities dont fill a role or its needlessly clunky to use effectively. I would for instance love if one could use Thunderclap in defensive stance. Some of these things just dont know sense, like slam. Im sure you have abilities that also dont make sense.
    Blizzard didn't have class design down yet during classic. They didn't change these things because they wanted to make it as authentic as possible, not make a new version of vanilla.

5. Gold struggle aint even a thing. When I first started on classic probly 2-3 months after it had launched I went to Thunderbluff and already saw many on epic mount. People were geared out and done pretty much as well. But the gold especially suprised me. I remember back in vanilla on my high pop realm back then, the prices were so much less, than what they are now. A flask cost 180g or some, arcanite bar 80g...Like these prices are insane, which leads me to think everyone has to much gold - Which I also quickly saw in my self. Granted im an AH player, so I just do my thing, but making like 4000-5000g before im level 60 is kinda silly. The inflation is stupid, and I dont understand how...1 example is devilsaur set, I remember making them on my druid in vanilla for 25-30g, and now they are always 75-100g etc.
    Everything is more optimized now and there's a lot more people playing per server, so prices are never going to be the same as vanilla. It also varies per server.

7. Classic seems to have attract people that have never played video games, or wow before. I have seen some good players, but I have also seen some outright...Look, I dont wanna be negative, but damn...If you think retail is bad, I dont even wanna hear you. I can jump right now into LFG, do my weekly freehold 15 meme and be done.
    In my experience players are worse in retail, but I don't pug much. Overall it's probably about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Are you sure? All you posted was bait, negativity. We appreciate your opinion, but save it for your blog next time.
    This kid lost all credibility the second he said classic is all new players who have never played wow before. To be so far detached from reality is truly sad and I hope he can find professional help.
    That, and every single bullet point was typical classic flaming trill bait.

Yet another pissy retailer crying cause people are having more fun in classic than retail. They need to get used to it as SL looks like dog shit and TBC is not far off. The numbers are only going to get worse for retail and better for classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla Player here. Retail doesnt do it for me, simple as that. The removal of Dire Frenzy killed the game for me, it took the BM out of the BM and i didnt like that one bit.

In Classic i have this feeling again. Me and my companion doing important and not important things out in the World. It satisfies my interesst in RPG and LARP wich i cant do anymore to physical problems. Due to my Problems i cant do sports or LARP anymore and watching TV for more then two Hours makes me feel like my Brain flows out of my Head, so i play Classic WoW to kill time and enjoy myself.

@ Djuntas

I dont say that lightly but... play retail, i really think it would suit you better.
    Last edited by Rehija; 2020-07-22 at 04:33 AM.

Class knowledge is more important than gear, both knowing your own and knowing what classes to bring for speedy runs. LBRS is probably the slowest dungeon of them all though, but i've seen groups full of 55's clearing it faster than full group of 60's in pre-BiS/epics.

Arms is king in 5mans, but you're really contradicting yourself here. You are using devilsaurs, black dragonscale and lionheart pre-60. Those items are insanely good, and makes you already better than any lvl 60 warrior without those items.

Stance-dancing is a crucial part of warrior gameplay. The design intent is that all warriors should need to occasionaly swap stances, thus thunderclap needs to be bound to battle-stance, disarm needs to be bound to defensive stance, whirlwind needs to be bound to berserker stance.

Regarding slam, it does have some uses. In PvP you can line it up after a intercept/intimidating shout/other cc, directly followed by a mortal strike, for maximum burst damage. To use it effectivly in PvE you'll want to have death wish and mighty rage pots, and possibly powerfull weapon procs. Just get full rage, pop DW/trinkets/etc, spam slam untill empty, use mighty rage pot, spam again, go back to regular rotation. Alternatively you can weave slam between auto-attacks, for that you'll want as slow 2hander as possible and a swing timer addon.

Thats funny, i'm always broke, it's a constant struggle. I actively farm gold more than i do not, and i can farm 100g/hour quite easily. But again, i'm a very casual player nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    hats funny, i'm always broke, it's a constant struggle. I actively farm gold more than i do not, and i can farm 100g/hour quite easily. But again, i'm a very casual player nowadays.
    So what do you spend that money on?
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Gear isn't as impactful in classic because of two reasons: one being that mobs are much stronger, and second being that you don't get insane ilevel boosts between tiers of content. Tier1 to Tier2 is 10 ilevels... and Tier1 to Tier 3 is 20 ilevels Whereas Mythic azshara vs Mythic nzoth loot has a 40 ilevel difference. Basically you get half the power boost from tier 1 to tier 3 than you get from mythic azshara to mythic nzoth.

Leveling is slower and harder, but I'd argue the fact you have to be careful keeps you on your toes a bit more and makes it a little more enjoyable. It could do with less annoyances, but I wish we had challenging leveling content in retail just like classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyen View Post
    Gear isn't as impactful in classic because of two reasons: one being that mobs are much stronger, and second being that you don't get insane ilevel boosts between tiers of content. Tier1 to Tier2 is 10 ilevels... and Tier1 to Tier 3 is 20 ilevels Whereas Mythic azshara vs Mythic nzoth loot has a 40 ilevel difference. Basically you get half the power boost from tier 1 to tier 3 than you get from mythic azshara to mythic nzoth.

Leveling is slower and harder, but I'd argue the fact you have to be careful keeps you on your toes a bit more and makes it a little more enjoyable. It could do with less annoyances, but I wish we had challenging leveling content in retail just like classic.
    But there is no challenging content in classic when you level. It's only because of how severely limited your character is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyen View Post
    I wish we had challenging leveling content in retail just like classic.
    Having leveled 2 characters now to 60 in Classic, I still haven't faced this "challenging leveling content". Yea, I suppose you could call it challenging content if you try to do quests/dungeons 5 levels above you like a dumbass, but... why would anyone do that?

Only challenging part of Classic leveling is the time it takes.