Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Angel of Riots View Post
    The way I see it, from a legal point of view cutting off someone's water and electricity supply is several bridges further than just using the tools that are legally available to the government: fines and jail sentences.
    How? How exactly is tossing someone in jail, is less of a punishment than turning off electricity and water? Are you downplaying what’s happening to protestors?

I'm not even sure how a government would be allowed to interfere between the contract of a customer and service provider without opening a big can of worms.
    It’s a good thing you are unsure...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The way I see it, from a legal point of view cutting off someone's water and electricity supply is several bridges further than just using the tools that are legally available to the government: fines and jail sentences.

I'm not even sure how a government would be allowed to interfere between the contract of a customer and service provider without opening a big can of worms.
    Then you clearly need some glasses. Not sure how you think taking away someones freedom is lesser than taking away water and electricity. Something they can get from another place or means. You can buy a generator and still have electricity. You can also dig your own well and still have water.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Then you clearly need some glasses. Not sure how you think taking away someones freedom is lesser than taking away water and electricity. Something they can get from another place or means. You can buy a generator and still have electricity. You can also dig your own well and still have water.
    Dig a hole? Spend 20$ on bottled water at Walmart... This party isn’t going to last long enough, to need a well.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    This is a bit disingenuous of the OP and an attempt at "democrats bad"
    Just the tiniest bit.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Dig a hole? Spend 20$ on bottled water at Walmart... This party isn’t going to last long enough, to need a well.
    I know, I wasn't trying to say it was the only other option :P
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    My dudes... this is not a punishment, it’s to disperse the crowd. I know I said it before... but, this isn’t people that may be risking their lives from dehydration... this isn’t a stand off... the point is for you to go home, not to grab you into a van once you’ve been starved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I know, I wasn't trying to say it was the only other option :P
    Oh it’s all good... I was more restating for “others“... we are on the same page.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't seem to understand that there is a legal framework in which law enforcement can easily use the common tools of:
    - fines
    - jail sentences

I get what you mean, from a practical point of view one might be worse than the others.
    But from a legal point of view, one is more firmly accepted and commonly used than the other.
    No you don't seem to understand. On a scale of whats worse, sending someone to jails is magnitudes worse than just cutting off water/electricty.

Cause you are saying removing someones freedom is a lesser offense to just inconveniencing them. Thats just asinine thinking.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't seem to understand that there is a legal framework in which law enforcement can easily use the common tools of:
    - fines
    - jail sentences
    They are dispersing a crowd... this isn’t arresting people... When did you start saying more people should be arrested? How the fuck is an angel of riots and self proclaimed BLM activist... advocating for police intervention? Fuck the police... fuck rioters who fight for a police state...

But from a legal point of view, one is more firmly accepted and commonly used than the other, with strong legal foundations to be allowed to be used.
    What legal basis is there to arrest these people?

I'd say in the recent events of riots and issues with the police, trying to coerce people, by cutting them off from utilities like that; is probably a wise choice. Don't need more riots to spurt up.
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

10+ Year Old Account
    ... when I said: "Why go that far?" - I was stating it purely from a legal point of view. There is no need for the mayor to open himself up to lawsuits because he's trying to be creative with the law to stop people from doing something he personally doesn't like.
    You said you are unsure if it’s going too far... it’s not... now you can be sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Howel View Post
    I'd say in the recent events of riots and issues with the police, trying to coerce people, by cutting them off from utilities like that; is probably a wise choice. Don't need more riots to spurt up.
    This party is now going to turn into a riot?

If current history is anything... sending in the cops is a bad idea...

10+ Year Old Account

I don't disagree with that...

... when I said: "Why go that far?" - I was stating it purely from a legal point of view. There is no need for the mayor to open himself up to lawsuits because he's trying to be creative with the law to stop people from doing something he personally doesn't like.

You clearly did.... Now you are just backpedaling.

This party is now going to turn into a riot?
    I am saying, that issuing police to take down all social gatherings could have adverse optics in the current climate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howel View Post
    I am saying, that issuing police to take down all social gatherings could have adverse optics in the current climate.
    Doh... totally my bad... I was on a roll and misread... 100% on me... Sorry...

Doh... totally my bad... I was on a roll and misread... 100% on me... Sorry...
    It is okay

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    sip
    Righto. So listen up cupcake. Take your hypocritical outrage and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Now, should water and power be a human right? Asbo-fucking-lutely. Unfortunately it isn't in America...because of hypocritical little trolls like you.

The thing is tho... Your right to be an entitled dick ends where whatever the shit you are doing becomes a problem for society.

It's why you aren't allowed to blast music in your backyard until 5am or burn your own house to the ground. Your right to party/destroy your own property ends where those actions become a public nuisance/hazard and you begin infringing on other people's rights to a good night's sleep/not having to deal with a fire spreading and destroying the neighborhood.

You having a plague party is risking the lives of other people, of first responders, of healthcare and essential workers and is a massive drain on the already overstretched public resources.

Also you can't compare a plague party to a public protest. One is causing a social problem the second is trying to fix one.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2020-08-08 at 01:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    doing something he personally doesn't like.
    If absurdity is what you're shooting for, you're there.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account

I also advise to reread the "from a legal point of view" part, which you bolded...
    You said you were unsure of that... now you are sure... I’ll ask again... What is the legal basis to arrest these people?

Edit: FYI... this demand people be arrested, without knowing why... is right up there with flying to US to vote Trump... it’s that level of absurdity...
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-08-08 at 01:27 PM.

Just to point out, judges have ruled in the past that towns were not allowed to shut off water to people that were unable to pay their bill because they needed water to live. They also have ruled that power companies can't shut off power for nonpayment in the winter again because they needed power to heat their house to live.

The funny part about this one is that they are going to penalize people for using their 1st amendment rights. It is interesting that the same right that is ok'ed for people to use while protesting (well if you protest what they allow you to). These city leaders didn't seem to have a problem with peacefully assembling then.

Do I think large parties and gathering are smart right now? NO, its stupid.

I do find it really funny that people scream about Trump being a fascist dictator while the local democrat leaders (governors, mayors, town councils, assemblymen) take away your rights that are spelled out in the constitution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by silveth View Post
    Just to point out, judges have ruled in the past that towns were not allowed to shut off water to people that were unable to pay their bill because they needed water to live. They also have ruled that power companies can't shut off power for nonpayment in the winter again because they needed power to heat their house to live.

The funny part about this one is that they are going to penalize people for using their 1st amendment rights. It is interesting that the same right that is ok'ed for people to use while protesting (well if you protest what they allow you to). These city leaders didn't seem to have a problem with peacefully assembling then.

Do I think large parties and gathering are smart right now? NO, its stupid.

I do find it really funny that people scream about Trump being a fascist dictator while the local democrat leaders (governors, mayors, town councils, assemblymen) take away your rights that are spelled out in the constitution.
    This is not a penalty... the water would be turned on, as soon as the party disperses... these comparisons are absurd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a legal framework in which large gatherings and parties are not allowed?

If no, then it's just something the mayor doesn't like.
    If yes, he can just throw the normal punishments at people: fines and jail time.
    Don't post in threads if you can't even be assed to read the OP.
    /s