Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Did blizzard fuck the undead, scourge forever?

So since SL with the New Lore they introduced „Maldraxxus“ as the Source of Necromancy...

And the Scourge just being a joke now.

Do you think the undead or scourge can ever be taken seriously or as a heavy hitter?

I mean the big bad Frozen Throne Scourge-> till Burning Crusade doesnt exist anymore.

(Yes i say till BC because they downgraded them in Wrath of the Lichking... we would never be able to raid icecrown or reach The Frozen Throne).

Do you really beleive after The Events of frozen Throne we would be able to come in his house, and fuck him?

Oh yes a residual waste paladin thought its time to end his reign and a magical miracle of a shady power knowing as the light happend. IN ICECROWN by the frozen THRONE... yes very believable

Maybe we could hope for more Miracles so in the end we can even win when we loose.

Ok but back to topic.

I think the Scourge is done, i think the reveal of the necrolord club on maldraxxus also took away the mystery and magic from the true Source.

The undead in WoW are @This point nothin really to worry

Opinions?

10+ Year Old Account
    If BFA has taught you anything, it's that if Blizzard decides they wanna do something, there is no force on this green Earth that is going to stop them from doing it, regardless of how egregious the retcons have to be. After all, they retconned Sylvanas so hard even her inner monologue in everything before prepatch was somehow redefined as 500-IQ doublethink.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

The scourge was done the moment Arthas/Ner'zhul story was over, anything after it just blizz kicking a dead horse

10+ Year Old Account
    They fuck their whole playerbase but thats another discussion.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

What does Maldraxxus change exactly? We already knew that the Scourge didn't invent necromancy because the nathrezim were experimenting with undead back in the War of the Ancients, and we already knew that the Scourge wasn't very creative because they copied their architecture from the nerubians. What always made the Scourge so intimidating was the limitless potential of its leader, the Lich King, who would become more powerful the more souls he absorbed. But since both him and the sword are gone, the Scourge isn't meant to be as dangerous of a threat anymore. That's why the new Scourge apocalypse in Shadowlands pre-patch is very short-lived.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-08-17 at 08:05 PM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Serious note, a reminder that the Scourge was engineered by the Dreadlords to be disposable. As soon as Lordaeron fell as a military power and organized nation, the Scourge was considered obsolete. Arthas/Ner'zhul turning the Scourge into a global-scale powerhouse was a fluke, by all appearances, and this is their last hurrah as Bolvar no longer has control and no active force on Azeroth sees any need for them now that Sylvanas ditched the Forsaken and the Forsaken have largely thrown off her cult of personality.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

The Scourge needs a good leader in order to be intimitading. We had Ner'zhul who was plotting behind Kil'jaedens back and succesfully orchestrated the destruction of Lordaeron, Quel'Thalas and Dalaran while recruiting Arthas and many others to be his champions. Arthas as the Lich King mostly did the same thing (Scourge invasion and such), but he has faced a lot more resistance when the new Alliance and Horde were formed so instead he wanted to turn their greatest champions into his own. Bolvar has only kept the Scourge static who apparently had his own agenda in the DK class campaign, but we don't see much of that after Sylvanas came in and kicked his ass.

Now the Scourge is without a leader so they are unorganised and just attack anything in sight. I don't see them becoming strong again unless a new leader rises up . I do miss when they were a lot more threatening in the past, but considering that the game has gone so long past its expiration date its only to be expected that they get power creeped and that they original stories goes through significant changes. Having Bolvar being humiliated by Sylvanas basically shows the state of the Scourge.

/sigh
    Just. Stop. It.
    Last edited by darkoms; 2020-08-17 at 08:32 PM.

What we had :

-Architecture : After wiping out nerubians, the Scourge assimilated their architecture for their own buildings.
    -Unit production : Whatever comes from the twisted minds of the necromancers (Abominations were pretty freaky for that)

Now all that is just "Standard Maldraxxus protocols" which is not so big a deal, but a tad underwhelming. Especially on the abomination part, I'd say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    What we had :

-Architecture : After wiping out nerubians, the Scourge assimilated their architecture for their own buildings.
    -Unit production : Whatever comes from the twisted minds of the necromancers (Abominations were pretty freaky for that)

Now all that is just "Standard Maldraxxus protocols" which is not so big a deal, but a tad underwhelming. Especially on the abomination part, I'd say.
    That moment when you buy your lich king and realise he comes with library of over 6000 royalty-free undead themed assets for you to use in creation of your undead army.

Makes you wonder if there are some premium packs.

yeah they kinda did
    the big villain "scourge" (which was one of the big 3 villains we had in the past, besides the legion and the old gods) is pretty much done for now.
    only way they could ever be scary again is if blizz pulls some dumb shit like "new LK steals jailers power and goes dormant for now" at the end of SL.
    otherwise, the scourge is now just a rip-off of maldraxxus and maw forces, with a rip-off jailer as the leader
    how to ruin one of the (if not THE) most iconic villains in the game in half an addon
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    What does Maldraxxus change exactly? We already knew that the Scourge didn't invent necromancy because the nathrezim were experimenting with undead back in the War of the Ancients, and we already knew that the Scourge wasn't very creative because they copied their architecture from the nerubians. What always made the Scourge so intimidating was the limitless potential of its leader, the Lich King, who would become more powerful the more souls he absorbed. But since both him and the sword are gone, the Scourge isn't meant to be as dangerous of a threat anymore. That's why the new Scourge apocalypse in Shadowlands pre-patch is very short-lived.
    They also copied DKs from somewhere, but I forget it
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    They also copied DKs from somewhere, but I forget it
    The Old Horde, they created the OG death knights by binding the souls of fallen orc warlocks to the bodies of deceased Stormwind knights. Teron Gorefiend is one such example.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

That thread title...

Metzen was good at building threats, absolute crap at following through. "An army that grows with each enemy death! It can't be stopped by conventional means and certainly not head on!" Nice premise, right?

Fast forward to ICC, where we bash down the door and confront the Scourge head on, in finest Faildring Lawful Stupid tradition. Oh, uh... LK was planning for us to trash his army, to recruit us! Yeah! The mindless Scourge is more of a threat without a leader to direct it... because... reasons... shut up! LK is Arthas! No Arthas is gone! Wait, no he's not! Yes he is! Hold up, he's still there! Just not really. We'll get back to you on that!

Yes, any possible Scourge story beyond TFT was trashed beyond repair in Wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelix1 View Post
    The scourge was done the moment Arthas/Ner'zhul story was over, anything after it just blizz kicking a dead horse.
    I see what you did there

The way I see it, writers are trying to hype SL as a WotLK 2.0, given how Legion was in many ways a BC 2.0, and quite successful at that. But unlike the Legion, which suffered just a relatively minor setback in BC (and ready to return in full force at any given time), the Scourge was already obsolete in WC3. Remember the end of the RoC undead campaign? It is stated there quite clearly that the Scourge was just a pawn of the Legion, and thus ready to be discarded since it had already achieved its goals. The undead (Scourge) campaign in TFT is essentially defensive: you have to reach the LK before Illidan's forces kill him for good.

Moreover, the Scourge might have seemed threatening in the OG WoW, when the strongest thing we fought were elementals or zombies. The power creep had not gone nearly as far as today, so we essentially played straight into the LK's hands, and were saved only by Tirion Sue's deus ex machina. It was doubly lame, not only because deus ex machina's are lame by definition, but also because it definitely ended the Scourge as a significant threat - especially with Bolvar covering our backs. The whole premise for Shadowlands, with Bolvar and the evergreen Sylvanas doing... something, looks really weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

The scourge hasn't been a threat since 3.3, bro...

Quote Originally Posted by uikolertekopoku View Post
    I think the Scourge is done, i think the reveal of the necrolord club on maldraxxus also took away the mystery and magic from the true Source.

The undead in WoW are @This point nothin really to worry

Opinions?
    I personally think that the moment The Scourge became a "contained threat" at the end of Wrath, they stopped being a threat all together...
    But I totes agree that Shadowlands is making The Scourge less scary and threatening...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does the original source actually matter? If we found out nuclear bombs were originally created by small fairies in the cartoon land of Care Bear country does that suddenly make nukes less dangerous? Nothing about the Scourge has changed, a good leader stills turns them into an undead nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    Does the original source actually matter? If we found out nuclear bombs were originally created by small fairies in the cartoon land of Care Bear country does that suddenly make nukes less dangerous? Nothing about the Scourge has changed, a good leader stills turns them into an undead nightmare.
    Well... yeah... but it is more like "They'll never be something we can't handle" so I don't think comparing them to real life nuke is an accurate comparison...