Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Do you have a WoW race prejudice?

Hello everyone!

I'm the guy who race changes my character every month, because I kinda love most of the races of WoW and I cant pick one.
    At this moment, I'm applying to many guilds as a raider, trying to find a good Mythic raiding spot, and I started to have some toughts like:
    "So, may the fact that I play a Gnome Hunter do ANY changes in the mind of the person who is reading my application?"

Then that tought expanded to more stuff, like..
    "Do you have more respect for the player who play a certain race?"

And I found myself thinking about the races I most underestimate and overestimate in the game.

Normally, I kinda think Pandaren Females might be better players than Night Elf Males.
    Or sometimes I think I would expect more from a Undead Female than from a Orc Male.
    I have a friend who says he thinks most Tauren seem to be bad players because they are chosen by new players who doesnt understand much abou the game and think that the "bigger" race may be the stronger one.

OFC nothing of this makes a real sense, and most of this could come from experiences I had with other players who played certain races, but..

What about YOU?
    Do you think you have any kind of playable race prejudice?
    Is there a playable race you think veteran or new players are most found of?
    What playable race makes you think "this guy should be good" without even looking at logs or inspecting at all?

Edit: Put some "playable" before the "race" words to make sure people dont think i'm talking about RL race.
    Last edited by gmottola; 2020-08-24 at 07:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic thread title is epic.

Too bad this wasn't posted in Gen-OT because the replies would be hilarious to read.

As to the topic, I don't really consider somebody's skill at the game based on their race + gender combination. I believe there are "meta combinations" that people consider but mostly that comes down to racial abilities.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2020-08-24 at 07:28 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dislike Tauren/Trolls. Any race with their Toes showing is just aweful.
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG

I tend to think of people who play gnomes as bullies. Not sure why, perhaps because most gnomes are always played by players who are in general super rude or put themselves over anyone else. That prejudice has been further solidified in classic, since Gnome Mages seem to be the best combo for spellcasters due to increased mana pool, and a lot of mages try to be super efficient and get pissed when something doesn't go their way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soluna View Post
    I tend to think of people who play gnomes as bullies. Not sure why, perhaps because most gnomes are always played by players who are in general super rude or put themselves over anyone else. That prejudice has been further solidified in classic, since Gnome Mages seem to be the best combo for spellcasters due to increased mana pool, and a lot of mages try to be super efficient and get pissed when something doesn't go their way.
    One of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on these forums and I've been here 10 years. Every race has its share of nice people and its share of insufferable pricks, every single one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gmottola View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm the guy who race changes my character every month, because I kinda love most of the races of WoW and I cant pick one.
    At this moment, I'm applying to many guilds as a raider, trying to find a good Mythic raiding spot, and I started to have some toughts like:
    "So, may the fact that I play a Gnome Hunter do ANY changes in the mind of the person who is reading my application?"

Then that tought expanded to more stuff, like..
    "Do you have more respect for the player who play a certain race?"

And I found myself thinking about the races I most underestimate and overestimate in the game.

Normally, I kinda think Pandaren Females might be better players than Night Elf Males.
    Or sometimes I think I would expect more from a Undead Female than from a Orc Male.
    I have a friend who says he thinks most Tauren seem to be bad players because they are chosen by new players who doesnt understand much abou the game and think that the "bigger" race may be the stronger one.

OFC nothing of this makes a real sense, and most of this could come from experiences I had with other players who played certain races, but..

What about YOU?
    Do you think you have any kind of playable race prejudice?
    Is there a playable race you think veteran or new players are most found of?
    What playable race makes you think "this guy should be good" without even looking at logs or inspecting at all?

Edit: Put some "playable" before the "race" words to make sure people dont think i'm talking about RL race.
    I couldn't care less what race someone is playing - I judge people by their actions and how they carry themselves in game.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've always been impressed with the visuals of a plate wearing Orc, and I like the Forsaken motif, but I don't think my mind makes any of the associations you suggest. Which isn't meant as a criticism, for clarity's sake.

Back in the early days, I admit I did judge rogues badly; I generally assumed rogues were played by immature kids because there was a cool factor about ganking and so forth. Which was completely unfair and erroneous. There were immature kids playing all classes XD
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

well actually i have faced prejudice as a pandaren!

i never thought of playing as one, but i once told my ex that i wanted to play a shaman but i dislike all the races (Kul'Tirans weren't a thing back then and i only play as human/elf), so she created an adorable male pandaren for me, at first i found it weird but i ended up loving the character

well suffice to say i got insta kicked from groups when they realized i played as a pandaren (groups that previously accepted me based on spec/achievement/ilvl)

anyways then we broke up, problem solved!

Trolls are so fucking ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    One of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on these forums and I've been here 10 years. Every race has its share of nice people and its share of insufferable pricks, every single one.
    Well I thought that this was supposed to be a thread about a little fun. I never said that just because I believe it that it's true. What you claim is true, but the biggest amount of negative experiences I've had were with people playing gnomes, so obviously I am gonna associate the race with something negative. Is perspective as a concept hard for you to grasp, or did you just want to lash out at someone after having a stressing day at work/game?

I sometimes tag along with the 'lol, elves'-bandwagon for fun, but I can't say I ever preemptively judged a player based on their character's race.

On a Character's Class, however.. that's an entirely different story!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soluna View Post
    Sounds like you are racist, against Gnomes. That Gnot really a good thing to be. Gno really its not.
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG

I swear the worst players I get are Tauren. It's definitely not all Tauren or anything, and there's bad players for every race, but a bad Tauren player is awful where as a bad orc player is just bad lol. No offense to you Tauren players!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I do.

While I don't make any particular associations between race and player, I am however racist towards gnomes.

Gnomes are the only acceptable target of genocidal actions.

I do not have any prejudice against any race played by others in the way I think you are describing. I do not pre-judge them based on their race selection with the class.

However, I do not have an Orc toon. There is something about them that turn me away from playing that race. I do not hate the race or any ingame Orc characters. I just do not want to play as one.

I hate everyone in the Alliance pretty equally. Gnomes get an honorable mention for being both annoying to look at, but also having a playerbase that is better at PvP on average. It just makes them more satisfying to punt I guess.

All the furry races have my ire as well. Tauren, pandas, vulpera can all go diaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzin View Post
    Sounds like you are racist, against Gnomes. That Gnot really a good thing to be. Gno really its not.
    Sorry but I don't get the joke, perhaps because it is made in poor taste. Call me a racist if you like, if that's what you think I am just because I've had negative experiences mostly with a particular race, and that's why I associate them with negative thoughts.

I thought this thread was about just sharing in a chill way some prejudices we have about certain races, if you google the meaning of the word, you will see that I am actually correct to feel that way about gnomes due to my own experiences. Has that ever made me people who play gnomes face them differently? Obviously not, it's a fantasy race for god's sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a positive prejudice (?) for people that play the least popular combos. Something like Dwarf females, I tend to think it takes a lot of confidence and knowing what you like and not caring about what people think. That aside, I do think Dark Iron Dwarf women look pretty badass with the right mog and hair options.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    I swear the worst players I get are Tauren. It's definitely not all Tauren or anything, and there's bad players for every race, but a bad Tauren player is awful where as a bad orc player is just bad lol. No offense to you Tauren players!

In my own experience Tauren are played by young kids
    Tauren hunter with taunt ON, there you go

I dont have any prejudice against people that play certain races. Every ones an ass hole. But you will never see me playing a blood elf or void elf. just not a fan of there animations or voice work or themeing.

No all my race prejudices are in real life
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.