Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I am fully ready to go back to work tomorrow for some more bread crumbs to survive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    He didn't even say anything towards that. He said "Nvidia is requiring reviewers of the quadro series to use 3960x, because of NVLink and SLI". Nowhere did he say a 3090 or 3080 would saturate a PCI-E 3.0 x16.

---
    Edit: Now that I listen to it again, yeah.. He is making it sound like you shouldn't buy Intel, because of PCI-E 3.0.. When he says that current boards won't support next gen CPU's because of power requirements. So yeah it is sort of silly to think 3.0 somehow magically gets saturated for the forseeable future.
    I mean, the post I replied to also literally says
    Even claims that top ampere cards will have a performance loss on Pcie 3. (No numbers on it though)

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I mean, the post I replied to also literally says
    It was nothing against you. I just quoted the last post talking about the topic.

So what would be the 2080ti replacement? An unannounced/unleaked 3080ti? Seems weird at this point. Considering how the 3090, 3080, and 3070 have all been leaked to fuck and back.

Given the price of the 3090 it makes sense, but they might also just pull a 2080ti and bump the price up another 300 dollars because fuck the consumer
    they'll just do a "super" move like yhey did with 2000. because, as you said, fick consumers.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Is it possible to break a gpu without physically tampering with it? Coz i just sold a 2070 for ~350$ (to get 3080 asap) with 1 month "personal warranty", im just worried with the announcement of new gpus coming out, and probably 2nd hand price drops, the buyer might change his mind within a month and break it to get his money back lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    Is it possible to break a gpu without physically tampering with it? Coz i just sold a 2070 for ~350$ (to get 3080 asap) with 1 month "personal warranty", im just worried with the announcement of new gpus coming out, and probably 2nd hand price drops, the buyer might change his mind within a month and break it to get his money back lol
    Yes it is. You can overvolt it and cook the core or basically any other part of it.

My 1080ti is perfectly fine for 1080p full-ultra in every game I play right now, no point upgrading until I make the jump to 4k displays (and then I'd need to factor in the upgrade cost of two 4k GSync monitors too because I'm not upgrading to anything that isn't VRR).

Yes it is. You can overvolt it and cook the core or basically any other part of it.
    But 2000 series is voltage locked, if i remember you have to open it and mod it to unlock voltage, is it not something i can check if he did? Oh well, shouldve said 1 week personal warranty lol

I'm not buying that it'll perform better on PCIe 4 than PCIe 3. It would need to be literally twice as powerful as a 2080ti, or in some other way crunching through the data it gets twice as fast. And even if it is twice as fast, judging by the difference between performance with a 2080ti between a x8 and x16 slot, we'd be looking at 1-5% better/worse, so for a noticeable difference it would need to be more than twice as fast.

Also I doubt that Nvidia would spread their launch out that much, they've never done it before.
    Ye, I doubt that the cards will saturate Pcie 3, but could be other reasons as to why that could happen. Guess we'll see soon anyways.
    Also, he doesnt say it directly, but theres a note about it @ 24:08.

And to say that Nvidia has never spread out their launch like that before is just silly. Happened with several generations over the years, with 1000 series being the definition of a spread out launch, where not a single card launched on the same day as another. They basically have no launch tradition at this point anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    But 2000 series is voltage locked, if i remember you have to open it and mod it to unlock voltage, is it not something i can check if he did? Oh well, shouldve said 1 week personal warranty lol
    It'll be easier to do it if you physically mod it, but it's doable without if you're really determined.

So what would be the 2080ti replacement? An unannounced/unleaked 3080ti? Seems weird at this point. Considering how the 3090, 3080, and 3070 have all been leaked to fuck and back.

Given the price of the 3090 it makes sense, but they might also just pull a 2080ti and bump the price up another 300 dollars because fuck the consumer
    3080. I think they reserved the name in case AMD comes up with competition for 3080 so Nvidia can shut it down with a 3080Ti. So far it looks like Big Navi wont catch 3080 or 3090.

- - - Updated - - -

It would need to be literally twice as powerful as a 2080ti
    No, it just needs to take working RTX hardware into account.

or in some other way crunching through the data it gets twice as fast.
    Yeah, using RTX cores.

And even if it is twice as fast, judging by the difference between performance with a 2080ti between a x8 and x16 slot, we'd be looking at 1-5% better/worse, so for a noticeable difference it would need to be more than twice as fast.
    That's, again, without RTX hardware. Also, memory bandwidth is going up 50% between 2080Ti and 3090.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    3080. I think they reserved the name in case AMD comes up with competition for 3080 so Nvidia can shut it down with a 3080Ti. So far it looks like Big Navi wont catch 3080 or 3090.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, using RTX cores.

That's, again, without RTX hardware. Also, memory bandwidth is going up 50% between 2080Ti and 3090.
    You're being awfully confident that the RTX cores will suck up more bandwidth than the normal cores. Until we see it, I'll doubt it.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    I have a $500 GPU budget so ill be waiting till 2021 for the 3060

You're being awfully confident that the RTX cores will suck up more bandwidth than the normal cores. Until we see it, I'll doubt it.
    They dont, they just suck up additional bandwidth that is not at all accounted for in the "test" you keep pointing at.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Well $499 for 3070 and $699 for 3080 certainly was a surprice. Will be interested to see the reviews now at least.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I have a $500 GPU budget so ill be waiting till 2021 for the 3060
    Literally save 199 more dollars and you'll have 4x the performance of a 3060 with a 3080

- - - Updated - - -

When will preorder go live?

3070 is cool, but no word on 3060 (probably a different chip as usual), and I don't give a fuck about RT or 4K performance. My target is 1440p144hz. Holding on till at the very least december/january.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    I am so thankful to the people who stopped me from buying a 2080 super. Very excited about 3080 and the price seems right hoping it will not spike up.
    The sad thing is.. If the launch is limited. Scalpers are going to ruin the market.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    The sad thing is.. If the launch is limited. Scalpers are going to ruin the market.
    Almost assuredly so. Don't expect to find anything in the shops till november/early december.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, using RTX cores.

I doubt big navi is coming in the range of a 3070. AMD GPU's are good value, but in terms of their technology and specs, they are inferior on every level.

Still getting an AMD CPU though, the fact that nvidia is optimizing pci gen 4 it will hurt intel for a few years at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Almost assuredly so. Don't expect to find anything in the shops till november/early december.
    My vendor already said that you can only buy two at a time at their store, he also did say they're getting deliveries on a weekly basis.

Samsung has a great supply chain, and since it's a specific node, it means it doesn't share capacity with other companies, unlike amd, which is really struggling right now to meet production of virtually anything they produce at this moment.