10+ Year Old Account
    I probably need to see what someone means by Animation locking. Also I don't like the trend of all two handed weapons look like mini statues being swiped around...so..awkwardly(MMOs aren't alone in this).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Lol, just goes to show how different players can be. You're looking for convenience and I'm looking for immersion.
    Immerision is not gameplay. The only thing relevant in video games, even if you feel otherwise, is actually gameplay. It is the sole reason for video games being playable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I probably need to see what someone means by Animation locking. Also I don't like the trend of all two handed weapons look like mini statues being swiped around...so..awkwardly(MMOs aren't alone in this).
    When you press a button in combat, you can not do anything until the animation routine finishes, whatever that may be. Any command you give while in the attack animation routine is queued as the next action immediately- which you have to wait for the routine to play out fully as well.

I prefer action combat that still allows you to dodge or cancel animations at any given instant. Having to find windows where you can let the attack go to fruition and actually get damage in is enough of a punishment. I shouldn't have to play safe and learn patterns to be successful. I want to run in and spend every waking moment attempting to land an attack and dodge around the instant I regret my decision because of some tell. That's another thing, though. The boss tells in such games are often too forgiving to me. They take 10 years to wind up to where anyone can see it coming from a mile away and it then becomes more about timing versus twitch.

As for why MMOs are pushing more that way... console. You can't play hotkey/proc DDR on a controller. It sucks, because my favorite combat system is hotkey DDR, but games have been moving away from it for a while now. RIP typing skillz allowing me to epeen stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I just don't understand why MMOs still try to do this action combat crap, let alone one that locks you into animation. This concept has failed so many time, that you'd think they learn by now.
    The cost of making an MMO is pretty high vs. the relative ROI. Appealing to a broader market of game players where the intuitive concept of, "I press a button, I swing a sword, that sword collides with things." makes a lot of sense.

The issue in the current generation of MMOs with this intuitive gameplay is that MMORPGs (in particular) are a niche genre where the fundamental concept of long term play (volume and frequency) is anathema to hyper engagement on a per action-to-action basis.

Mounts are entirely optional, but jumping really isn't. It's a huge drawback for the division 2 for me, that I have to go to these specific defined locations to climb over a chain fence. Just let me use my monkey brain to find something I can jump over, then jump over it.
    That's understandable, and I get how not having it can make you feel limited with traversal. I do think it would be a good move to add it in, and then switch the dodge to a double tap of the directional keys, akin to GW2's system. That being said, I don't think it will make or break the game. I could be wrong though, my opinion differs wildly from the next MMO player.

If you are running out of combat, you automatically jump as needed. It is far more "immersion breaking" to have the notion jumping freely in hundreds of pounds of steel and iron armor is plausible in a game where weight and gravity are pronounced.

General Patton almost drowned because he had an extra gun on him once. You expect my dude to swim, jump and frolic about wearing 120 pounds of steel armor, carrying 1000 pounds of gathering shit, a steel musket, iron bullets, a steel sword, steel and oak shield, and a steel hatchet? Don't break my immersion, bro.

Oh, I'm not arguing against mounts for immersion sake - I'm arguing for jumping. I agree there is nothing immersion breaking about mounts, I just don't care one way or the other about them as long as everyone is on the same footing. They could add a sprint feature instead of mounts and accomplish the same thing from a convenience standpoint, or just bump up everyone's movement speed out of combat by a flat % .
    They will probably add jumping at some point but it has nothing to do with immersion, the character can navigate over most small obstacles without the jumping mechanic so what other purpose does it serve, most are just so used to having it in games like WoW they dont realise its mostly pointless.

If you look at it realistically a character wouldnt do any jumping at all wearing all that armor, carrying several weapons and a few hundred pounds of materials, so character shouldnt even barely be able to move let alone jump.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-09-02 at 06:28 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    If you are running out of combat, you automatically jump as needed. It is far more "immersion breaking" to have the notion jumping freely in hundreds of pounds of steel and iron armor is plausible in a game where weight and gravity are pronounced.

General Patton almost drowned because he had an extra gun on him once. You expect my dude to swim, jump and frolic about wearing 120 pounds of steel armor, carrying 1000 pounds of gathering shit, a steel musket, iron bullets, a steel sword, steel and oak shield, and a steel hatchet? Don't break my immersion, bro.
    While true, I'll take fun and enjoyment over immersion any day if this is the trade off. Having an absolutely ridiculously difficult and frustrating time getting around the world because your character can't jump and is completely blocked from a path or direction by a waist high obstacle is not worth whatever "immersion" you get by trying to stick to real world physics.

10+ Year Old Account

In a world trying to be realistic as possible sure. A fictional world with a lot of fictional creatures and well resources..oh and magic...

Yeah who gives a flying fuck.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    While true, I'll take fun and enjoyment over immersion any day if this is the trade off.
    Absolutely. That is exactly my point. If the game is designed such that traversal via Jump as a free action that would be one thing. But it has no place in the game as designed and is a larger conceit to "immersion breaking" than your dude leaping over appropriate obstacles as needed.

Having an absolutely ridiculously difficult and frustrating time getting around the world because your character can't jump and is completely blocked from a path or direction by a waist high obstacle is not worth whatever "immersion" you get by trying to stick to real world physics.
    You auto jump most things like this though. Like I was turning in a town quest to the governor and there was a chair and small table in the way that my dude parkor'd over one-handed in full conquistador armor. Not to mention the countless fences, tree stumps, boulders, and supply crates I similarly did a gymnastics routine over to reach that sweet, sweet Seeping Stones Oil.

In every way, this is an incorrect concern.

10+ Year Old Account
    based on my playtime during this 'preview' event i can say this for the gameplay:

> the combat is extremely basic and is basically a clone of the witcher 3 combat systems in both how it plays and how restrictive it is.

> the game world is pretty big but as of right now the world is pretty empty (talking purely NPC's here not talking about player count).

> the crafting is just a clone of WoW except you aren't restricted to 2 professions you have all professions and you level them up by doing certain tasks so you can craft better stuff within that profession.

> after completing the intro 'tutorial' quests which are almost impossible to fail unless you go afk, you then go to the main settlement and spend about 30 minutes running around this town hub talking to the different NPC's here and picking up missions to do as well as being forced to pick a town faction to ally with which is non transferable so you are locked into whichever you pick and this has a direct restriction on what missions you can do, who you can group with, so no grouping with friends if they pick a different town faction to you.

> in terms of the gathering professions it's a standard 'low level skill and gear takes longer to gather whereas high level skill and gear is faster' (not counting map exclusive buffs you get when you level up your territory bonuses) and there is a massive disparity between nodes, also the respawn rate on certain nodes is significantly too long so hope you enjoy sitting around waiting for a spawn to get it first like it was in the early days of WoW.

> travel time between objectives can be either really easy and no trouble at all, or it's a total nightmare and just a massive time waste, as an example after clearing all the 'starter' quests in the first main town hub you go to you are sent to another NPC in a different town hub 2 full zones over to give a WoW analogy for scale it's like asking you to run from stormwind to ironforge (no tram), as a lvl 1 starter character and the only way to get there is to run through burning steppes the once you get your mission done with you have to run all the way back again, there is a 'fast travel' system in place but it only works between town hubs and you must have first discovered the town hub in question before travelling to it, also it costs a resource called 'azoth' which is the name of the magic essence in this game and the price to fast travel depends on a few factors namely what the town hubs' tax rates are like, among a few other factors, suffice to say 'fast travel' could get extremely expensive if you have to do it regularly, you also have a once per hour 'recall' ability that allows you to teleport back to the last inn you 'registered' at, you cannot however use this teleport if you are above the carry weight limit on your character.

> in terms of magic and spellcasters you're actively punished for playing them at lower levels but they are mandatory for higher level play especially in pvp battles where mass aoe is used.

> PVP is a joke with how bad it is, coupled with the terrible combat system it is a very poor overall gameplay mode especially considering the current weapon meta that exists currently.

i have a few more points but this is the main things i think should be talked about.

Anyone who thinks this game will be relevant a year or two from now is not a veteran of several MMO launches. This game reeks of unfinished, unpolished, and amateur design decisions that remind me significantly of all the trashy MMO's we had come out back in the WoW-clone era. It'll come out, be played for a month or two by streamers and content creators, and then only the most hardcore will stick around as all the casuals leave. It's a cycle that has been repeated a thousand times.

Absolutely. That is exactly my point. If the game is designed such that traversal via Jump as a free action that would be one thing. But it has no place in the game as designed and is a larger conceit to "immersion breaking" than your dude leaping over appropriate obstacles as needed.

You auto jump most things like this though. Like I was turning in a town quest to the governor and there was a chair and small table in the way that my dude parkor'd over one-handed in full conquistador armor. Not to mention the countless fences, tree stumps, boulders, and supply crates I similarly did a gymnastics routine over to reach that sweet, sweet Seeping Stones Oil.

In every way, this is an incorrect concern.
    Incorrect doesn't seem to be the right word. But I get what you're saying, that this specific concern is already addressed and is therefore a non-issue. Which is good, but still seems like a tone more effort than it needed to be.....programming the auto-jump thing and collision and whatever to prompt the character to parkour over little obstacles like that seems like it would be WAY more effort than just letting characters be able to jump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sessava View Post
    Anyone who thinks this game will be relevant a year or two from now is not a veteran of several MMO launches. This game reeks of unfinished, unpolished, and amateur design decisions that remind me significantly of all the trashy MMO's we had come out back in the WoW-clone era. It'll come out, be played for a month or two by streamers and content creators, and then only the most hardcore will stick around as all the casuals leave. It's a cycle that has been repeated a thousand times.
    can't help but agree, the game feels very much like it's from 10 years ago in terms of aesthetic, the game systems are all very dated too with combat being very poor, as well as the generic storyline it's not got much in the way of content worth playing and as you say it will only retain players who are hardcore into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    snip
    Give it a rest, geez.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Is anyone really waiting / wanting an MMO anymore at this point in time?

They really aren't bringing anything innovative to the current market, so what do they hope to accomplish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Until MMOs have new breath of a originality and are kept up to date with the modern world (there is no interest in the standard MMOs we had so far), we are not going to see anything other than "just another MMO".

• Different POV, tired of the top down view like WoW in MMOs ...
    • Larger Size Maps
    • Multiplatform, I want to be connected with all my friends at any give time (yes in on my phone when I am taking a shit).
    • Competitive/Carrot on a Stick, that's what makes games successful and big.

We will need a paradigm shift with MMOs, maybe gaming in general. Last was 2D>3D and SP/LAN>ONLINE

Luckily the genre has been evolving to different platforms for a long time now, and that's where the innovation comes in. There are always skeptics, but I would argue VR is the next paradigm shift for MMOs at least. The VR platform is constantly discovering new applications and uses practically every week (especially now, where covid and isolation-related boredom has stoked fires of inspiration in VR development), and when it comes to a VRMMO, the sky's the limit. There are a few decent ones out already (Orbus, Township Tale, etc) but unfortunately anything that might stand as the big "WoW" or "Everquest" of VR is still in the works. I would personally love to see a VRMMO with the sense of scale and environment a game like BDO has, but with the wealth of content a more themepark-y MMO like WoW has.
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2020-09-02 at 08:47 PM.
    ( -> | |=====-~
    / ) \ | |
    - " "-| |
    ( -> | |====~
    / ) \ | |
    -" "-| |

Quote Originally Posted by Araxie View Post
    *snip, on my phone*
    Well jumping isn't a dealbreaker for me personally. But no mounts? I cannot abide. In WoW, mounts are what I collect and enjoy the most outside of raiding. In ArcheAge, the one thing that kept me once the forced PVP came into effect, were the mounts system. Even just hauling goods to marketplaces with a donkey was a lovely experience.

GW2 didn't use to have mounts and I could never get into it. Now they have the best mount system out of any MMORPG. I have spent more time in GW2 in the past 2 months, than I did for the first 8 years of its life thanks to the mount Mastery and skins system alone.

Mounts to me are "companions", they're not just speed boosts. Sure, games like WoW where they're so damned basic that a mammoth can jump as high as a frog they're mostly a collectible. But I still love the ones I had to put loads of effort into all the same.

For someone who doesn't care about mounts it's not a big deal that an MMORPG doesn't have them. To someone who does however, it can be a dealbreaker. Imagine playing RDR2 without the horse by one's side. Even very basic-ass mounts (WoW, they can't even animate horses proper 16 years later) bring at least some sort of fun. And if the setting is very realistic-looking, I wanna see at least horses.

I'm sure many people will enjoy New World just fine without them, but I won't be one of those people. I bet they'll add them one day, GW2 was never going to have ground mounts and sure as hell never FLYING mounts. They've got them all now. ^_^

Didn't you literally just say that gameplay is the only thing that matters? Specifically in relation to immersion?

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Well jumping isn't a dealbreaker for me personally. But no mounts? I cannot abide. In WoW, mounts are what I collect and enjoy the most outside of raiding. In ArcheAge, the one thing that kept me once the forced PVP came into effect, were the mounts system. Even just hauling goods to marketplaces with a donkey was a lovely experience.

GW2 didn't use to have mounts and I could never get into it. Now they have the best mount system out of any MMORPG. I have spent more time in GW2 in the past 2 months, than I did for the first 8 years of its life thanks to the mount Mastery and skins system alone.

Mounts to me are "companions", they're not just speed boosts. Sure, games like WoW where they're so damned basic that a mammoth can jump as high as a frog they're mostly a collectible. But I still love the ones I had to put loads of effort into all the same.

For someone who doesn't care about mounts it's not a big deal that an MMORPG doesn't have them. To someone who does however, it can be a dealbreaker. Imagine playing RDR2 without the horse by one's side. Even very basic-ass mounts (WoW, they can't even animate horses proper 16 years later) bring at least some sort of fun. And if the setting is very realistic-looking, I wanna see at least horses.

I'm sure many people will enjoy New World just fine without them, but I won't be one of those people. I bet they'll add them one day, GW2 was never going to have ground mounts and sure as hell never FLYING mounts. They've got them all now. ^_^
    I agree with everything you said, aside from no mounts being a deal breaker. I personally am a collector when it comes to most games, but most importantly, with MMOs. I absolutely LOVE GW2's mount system, I actually think it's the best part of their game (Funny enough, I hate their jump system) and probably one of the best mount systems out there. Not only are they great to unlock, collect, customize, etc, but they actually contribute to your experience in the world aside from just "make me go faster, please" Like, jumping gaps with the raptor, that feels amazing and so fun. Jumping up steep cliffs with the rabbit, so good. I would absolutely LOVE a system for mounts like that in new world. I'd also be fine with the WoW system too where they're just fun to collect.

BUT -

A good mount system, like GW2's , is a MASSIVE undertaking. It's a very complex system under the hood, involving so many different skill sets on the team. New world is a brand new game just trying to get off the ground, them launching without mounts is not a deal breaker to me because I'd rather them hone their core gameplay first before adding in an extra layer that would require a lot of time and effort. I'd rather them launch the game well enough that they can, later down the road, devote time and energy into producing a quality mount system that's not just "Here's 50 cool, different horse. They make you get from point A to point B faster. That's it."

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    They will probably add jumping at some point but it has nothing to do with immersion, the character can navigate over most small obstacles without the jumping mechanic so what other purpose does it serve, most are just so used to having it in games like WoW they dont realise its mostly pointless.

If you look at it realistically a character wouldnt do any jumping at all wearing all that armor, carrying several weapons and a few hundred pounds of materials, so character shouldnt even barely be able to move let alone jump.
    Weight Phase 1 - You can move freely.
    Weight Phase 2 - You are encumbered. You can walk but can't dodge, run, or fast travel.
    Weight Phase 3 - Hey dumb ass, stop picking up shit! You can't move period, good job hoarder.

Not saying I did this, just sayin' I did some research.