Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

They reused shots... (spoiler)

https://i.imgur.com/TpZtCfN.png

What could this mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Reuse of animation is actually quite common, even big-budget studios like Disney do it regularly. Alternatively, it's possible that this scene explores the possible connection between the Shadowlands and the Legion i.e. the Helm of Domination and Frostmourne being implements given to the Lich King by the Legion. I think it's probably just a simple re-use of animation due to budgetary concerns, though.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

It means that Draka visited a Legion world and/or base during her time as a Necrolord.

Whether or not it's the same one from the first short is up in the air, as they could just have reused the art. But it's not a mistake that they're Felguards.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Reuse of animation is actually quite common, even big-budget studios like Disney do it regularly. Alternatively, it's possible that this scene explores the possible connection between the Shadowlands and the Legion i.e. the Helm of Domination and Frostmourne being implements given to the Lich King by the Legion. I think it's probably just a simple re-use of animation due to budgetary concerns, though.
    Budgetary concerns?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    It means that Draka visited a Legion world and/or base during her time as a Necrolord.

Whether or not it's the same one from the first short is up in the air, as they could just have reused the art. But it's not a mistake that they're Felguards.
    Yes but its not the same base considering they changed the layout a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    Yes but its not the same base considering they changed the layout a bit
    They changed the outside of the base but not the base itself. It could be the base from Legion before the planet got messed up, hence why it's a jungle in Shadowlands and then resembles Outlands by the time of Illidan.

Quote Originally Posted by overlordd View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/tpztcfn.png

what could this mean?
    Small. Indie. Studio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    Budgetary concerns?
    Yes, departments in any business have budgets that they ideally can't exceed when it comes to their margins. You hear a lot of the common meme "small indy company," and I get the nature of the complaint, but being a big budget company does not mean any and every department in said company is permitted to utilize 100% of the revenue stream on an as-needed basis. If the art or FX department needed to come in under projections they might need to take a shortcut or two, like reusing art or animation in places, to trim the fat on a given project. That's just the nature of how development works in any business scenario.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    Small. Indie. Studio.
    D
    I
    S
    N
    E
    Y

does this all the time

god everone does it

That is a still image though. Btw, calling those shorts "animations" is being VERY generous, they're motion comics at best and Blizzard is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by idnn View Post
    D
    I
    S
    N
    E
    Y

does this all the time

god everone does it
    MUHHH DISNEY. It' s a single fucking picture. Not some complex animation or asset. lmao

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    That is a still image though. Btw, calling those shorts "animations" is being VERY generous, they're motion comics at best and Blizzard is wrong.
    It's art that has to be made, and these motion comics use a lot of sequence art that is very detailed and stylized, it's all drawn by hand and is quite time consuming and expensive.

Interesting.

I did think there was something oddly weird and familiar about that scene. Those guards that Draka snuck past looked way too much like felguards to me.

It looks to me like this might be just Blizzard being super lazy for this one shot.

Assuming this is the only recycled shot. This was the only part of the cinematic I got a weird feeling about. The rest of the cinematic was average and okay, but I didn't get the sense that I'd seen any of it before like I very clearly felt for that one little scene.

MUHHH DISNEY. It' s a single fucking picture. Not some complex animation or asset. lmao
    we talk about re-use of something what does it matter if its a picture or a whole scene

Has anyone taken into account the fact that the reused asset might have some relevance storywise? We already know Light and Void both attacked Shadowlands in the past, is it so far-fetched to believe that Legion also found a way into the dead realm?
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

It's art that has to be made, and these motion comics use a lot of sequence art that is very detailed and stylized, it's all drawn by hand and is quite time consuming and expensive.
    I'm an artist I know exactly how long such pictures take and how much skill they require. But you're right. Blizzard is a small company after all, they've been struggling financially as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by idnn View Post
    D
    I
    S
    N
    E
    Y

does this all the time

god everone does it
    hey, dont stop him from using his old.tired.meme!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post

Those aren't felguards. They look similar, but they're not demons at all.

The dude at the end of the video is also very clearly not a felguard, even though he looks it. You can tell he is undead. They were attacking other houses within Maldrax .

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I'm an artist I know exactly how long such pictures take and how much skill they require. But you're right. Blizzard is a small company after all, they've been struggling financially as of late.
    Hence the discussion of budgets above. Activision-Blizzard may be making money hand over fist, but that doesn't mean the art department can use 100% of it, or even 50% of it, or even 5% of it. They've got a budget they need to come in under, and if that requires a few shortcuts on entirely promotional videos then that's what they'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by dcc626 View Post
    hey, dont stop him from using his old.tired.meme!
    Hey, it's fucking hilarious! The harder people disagree the funnier it gets.

Small.
    Indie.
    Studio.

Hence the discussion of budgets above. Activision-Blizzard may be making money hand over fist, but that doesn't mean the art department can use 100% of it, or even 50% of it, or even 5% of it. They've got a budget they need to come in under, and if that requires a few shortcuts on entirely promotional videos then that's what they'll do.
    Absolutely. I mean, not everyone can be Riot, you seen their trailers? Wooo! Those guys set impossible standards. I couldn't possibly expect a small studio like Blizzard to try to match that kind of superpower.
    Last edited by bagina; 2020-09-03 at 08:57 PM.

You make it extremely clear that you've never worked or experienced any work with art.

Spoiler- a single picture is complex. When you've worked with multiple layers in a single picture, then you can claim whether or not it's complex.