Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Tech has to be trolling. I refuse to believe someone can really be that stupid.

"NES and SNES sales don't count, because I said so!".

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    When you count sales, you include all the consoles. I think you're the one who doesn't get it.
    If the point of the comparison is to see which company does/ did better, you need to compare their performance when they're competing against each other.

Comparing their performance when they weren't competing is meaningless in that regard.

If all you're trying to show is overall total sales...sure, but I don't see what purpose that serves in this discussion of Nintendo vs Sony.

- - - Updated - - -

Tech has to be trolling. I refuse to believe someone can really be that stupid.

"NES and SNES sales don't count, because I said so!".
    Again, when the point of the comparison is to show who is performing better, sales that happened before there was a competition are pretty irrelevant.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

Curating games is one thing, dictating when they could actually release is another thing entirely. I'm not sure you understand why 3rd parties hated Nintendo and jumped at the opportunity to abandon them, because it wasn't just for more storage on CDs.
    Nintendo had a monopoly back then. Ofcourse they could dictate terms and conditions, which was, and still is, no different to ANY monopoly. I'm not defending it, but it wasn't as if it was just a Nintendo thing. Also, that was back in the 80's, as they had to change it in 1991 due to an FTC investigation and court actions.

Fuck, look at Apple and trying to patent a fucking rectangle with a screen. Companies will do anything to try and get rid of compitition if they can.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    What about that sentence doesn't make sony innocent?
    Sony also wanted all the CD profits.

Hell the only playstation system to ever sell under 80 mil even was the Vita. Nintendo had the n64, gamecube and Wii U all over same time period and they wish they sniffed 80 mil. Vita has been the only real flop for the brand in it's existence.
    Playstation has mainly been a success, but Sony has made many flops. All these tech companies want to set the standards, and want to control everything, like the hardware, licences, formats etc. They can't all win every time.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nintendo is seen as the 'bad guy' in the situation because they were the bigger dog with all the leverage and just left Sony hanging...how big corporations with a lot of leverage do. Also in hindsight, they created a beast of a contender that basically forced Nintendo into its modern niche. Nintendo tried to big dog Sony, it kind of backfired.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreatNameForSmurfingExTee View Post

Sony. better handheld. seems legit
    I honestly believe Sony has better handhelds since the PSP but they didn't know what they wanted to do with them. Sony handhelds always existed in this weird space as sort of addons to the consoles and they basically abandoned the Vita for whatever reason even though the Switch is basically what the Vita should have been.

With that said, Nintendo handles handhelds FAR better than Sony. There's no comparison. The PSP and Vita were better pieces of hardware but the DS series actually had games and 1st party support.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

It's an interesting story, but in the end Im just glad we have all three big consoles. Why? Because of the games. This whole comparison of units sold between Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony is kinda irrelevant as a consumer, as long as the systems themselves get enough support to create a healthy ecosystem. I mean, if I look back at the most impactful games of my youth, I would mention Halo, Jack and Daxter, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Mech Assault, Crash Bandicoot and the Wind Waker.
    In the end Im grateful for alle Nintendo, Sony AND Microsoft has done for gaming, so why choose sides?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatNameForSmurfingExTee View Post
    Sony. better handheld. seems legit
    The hardware in both the PSP and the Vita were better than what Nintendo had on offer in their respective generations, aside from things such as the blunder with pricing on memory cards it was the software side of things were Nintendo won out over them, not the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by IndCold View Post
    Damn, you'd think half the people in the thread have shares in Sony or Nintendo, lol.
    MMO Champion is filled to the brim with Sony Ponies and Nintendo Weebs.

LOL @ the PSP being better than the DS. What a terrible opinion. The DS's library blows the PSP's out of the water.

- - - Updated - - -

So, the consoles that came out before Sony entered the race don't count?
    Yea doesn't count if you're comparing to Sony. What the hell is your malfunction?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Archpriest View Post
    It's an interesting story, but in the end Im just glad we have all three big consoles. Why? Because of the games.
    What are these three big consoles with exclusive games? I count Playstation and Switch. There's no third big console with exclusive games.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    What are these three big consoles with exclusive games? I count Playstation and Switch. There's no third big console with exclusive games.
    Oh come off it. Xbox exists, and while it didn't do the best this gen, it's still there. And there are games that wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the Xbox brand, even if they are also now released on PC as part of their new strategy. Quit being so facetious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Weebslol69 View Post
    Oh come off it. Xbox exists, and while it didn't do the best this gen, it's still there. And there are games that wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the Xbox brand, even if they are also now released on PC as part of their new strategy. Quit being so facetious about it.
    Name one xBox exclusive released in 2020, planned for 2021... You don't buy xBox because "games", because xbox literally has zero exclusives. You buy it because of game pass, that gives you access to non exclusive games.

Name one xBox exclusive released in 2020, planned for 2021... You don't buy xBox because "games", because xbox literally has zero exclusives. You buy it because of game pass, that gives you access to non exclusive games.
    There are literally first party games that are exclusive to Xbox/Windows PCs. It's all considered the same ecosystem now by MS (Windows is owned by MS you know). When's the last time you played Halo, Gears, Fable, or Forza on a Nintendo or Playstation console (as a few examples)? You're acting like they don't come out with any of their own games, which is objectively false and just showing how much of a MS hater you're being. You're also ignoring the plethora of game studios they've brought under their umbrella and are ramping up to start making even more games going forward.
    Last edited by Weebslol69; 2020-09-09 at 08:12 AM.

There are literally first party games that are exclusive to Xbox/Windows PCs. It's all considered the same ecosystem now by MS (Windows is owned by MS you know). When's the last time you played Halo, Gears, Fable, or Forza on a Nintendo or Playstation console (as a few examples)? You're acting like they don't come out with any of their own games, which is objectively false and just showing how much of a MS hater you're being. You're also ignoring the plethora of game studios they've brought under their umbrella and are ramping up to start making even more games going forward.
    PC is not a console you know. Did you say "three big consoles"? Yes you did. xBox sales are not big. Did you say "Because of the games."? Yes you did. xBox has zero exclusive games. You don't need to buy an xBox to play Halo, welcome to 2020 mate.

"how much of a MS hater you're being" - I don't hate Microsoft. C# is the best language ever. .NET is a solid fast platform. SQL Server is a fast powerhouse, even if expensive af. Azure over AWS any time of the day. Visual Studio - it's alright, slow, Rider is much better, but it's quite alright. I do dislike Microsoft Windows department - their OS is a UX nightmare, and is unusable as a server platform. I do dislike Microsoft xBox division - they went from going toe to toe with juggernaut Playstation in x360 days, to being irrelevant. They are fuck ups. That was a royal fuck up. How can you love a fuck up of these proportions?.. And now they're doing all this shit PR to survive - "oooh look how xbox is open and good and nice" - and dozen of xbox fanboys left are eating it up...

Playstation - big.
    Switch - big.
    Mobile - biggest.
    PC - big.
    xBox - lol.

Deal with it.
    Last edited by ldev; 2020-09-09 at 08:33 AM.

PC is not a console you know. Did you say "three big consoles"? Yes you did. xBox sales are not big. Did you say "Because of the games."? Yes you did. xBox has zero exclusive games. You don't need to buy an xBox to play Halo, welcome to 2020 mate.

"how much of a MS hater you're being" - I don't hate Microsoft. C# is the best language ever, SQL Server is a fast powerhouse, even if expensive af. Azure over AWS any time of the day. I do dislike Microsoft Windows department - their OS is a UX nightmare, and is unusable as a server platform. I do dislike Microsoft xBox division - they went from going toe to toe with juggernaut Playstation in x360 days, to being irrelevant. They are fuck ups. That was a royal fuck up. How can you love a fuck up of these proportions?.. And now they're doing all this shit PR to survive - "oooh look how xbox is open and good and nice" - and dozen of xbox fanboys are eating it up...
    Lol. You're playing semantics and choosing to ignore one part of the equation to suit your agenda. You're objectively wrong. Just accept that and move on dude.

And Xbox literally just offered the most consumer friendly option ever in a console release (go read about the Series S and the deal you can get with it for just $25 a month.....a next gen console, Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Game Pass, and the ability to stream your games to any mobile device). To say that MS/Xbox is bad is literally just showing your hate for them and your inability to comprehend shifting paradigms in the video game industry.

- - - Updated - - -

Playstation - big.
    Switch - big.
    Mobile - biggest. And now Xbox is releasing a way to play all of their shit on said mobile devices. Hmmm....
    PC - big. Xbox games are available here as well, further increasing the amount of games you can play on the PC that otherwise would never be there in the first place....not to mention it's all profit for them regardless...both in the Windows OS and the game/service itself
    xBox - lol. Literally just announced the most consumer friendly console/service option we've ever seen in the history of video games

Deal with it.
    Amazing how different that list looks with a bit more context to it huh? Acting like Xbox is irrelevant is pretty fucking idiotic on your part. Now, deal with it.
    Last edited by Weebslol69; 2020-09-09 at 08:35 AM.

Lol. You're playing semantics and choosing to ignore one part of the equation to suit your agenda. You're objectively wrong. Just accept that and move on dude.

And Xbox literally just offered the most consumer friendly option ever in a console release (go read about the Series S and the deal you can get with it for just $25 a month.....a next gen console, Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Game Pass, and the ability to stream your games to any mobile device). To say that MS/Xbox is bad is literally just showing your hate for them and your inability to comprehend shifting paradigms in the video game industry.
    They are doing good. They are a corporation and not your friend or a person. They are not good or bad. You're playing semantics and instead of choosing to take one part to suit your agenda, you make it up - me calling xBox bad. It's not bad. It's irrelevant and giving best deals to survive. Do I own an xBox? Yes. Do I love game pass? Yes. Did I buy monster hunter on PS4 because xBox is irrelevant and no one responded to my flares and I went to twitch to see whether game is dead - nope, only xbox is dead, everyone's playing on ps4 - yes. Why the fuck do you think Microsoft is pushing crossplay? Because they are good and care about the players - that's your thought, my example is exactly why xbox is pushing crossplay - to fucking survive, because yet again - they are irrelevant... Is xbox big? No.

How do good deals correlate with having exclusives and being big? <- this is your argument. Answer this.

nd the ability to stream your games to any mobile device
    iPads have 63% market share in US. iPhones have 45% market share in US. Any mobile device my ass mate.
    Last edited by ldev; 2020-09-09 at 08:46 AM.

They are doing good. They are a corporation and not your friend or a person. They are not good or bad. You're playing semantics and instead of choosing to take one part to suit your agenda, you make it up - me calling xBox bad. It's not bad. It's irrelevant and giving best deals to survive. Do I own an xBox? Yes. Do I love game pass? Yes. Did I buy monster hunter on PS4 because xBox is irrelevant and no one responded to my flares and I went to twitch to see whether game is dead - nope, only xbox is dead, everyone's playing on ps4 - yes. Is xbox big? No.

How do good deals correlate with having exclusives and being big? <- this is your argument. Answer this.
    Oh no, the original point was that it was good all three consoles exist because of the games we get from them merely existing. To which you replied with the unnecessary and condescending notion that just because Xbox doesn't get exclusive games to just its consoles anymore (since they also release to PC), that somehow makes it irrelevant and not worthy of mention. And yet there are a lot of games we would have never got or would continue to get if it wasn't for the Xbox brand existing and MS's first party studios. So in the end, we get more games....period.

YOU chose to go into specifics that the original comment you replied to didn't mention. It simply said we get more games to play because of all three consoles. Which is objectively true and cannot be refuted. So, you were proven wrong. Time to move on, bud.

- - - Updated - - -

iPads have 63% market share in US. iPhones have 45% market share in US. Any mobile device my ass mate.
    iOS devices were originally suppose to be part of the deal (they even had a beta on iOS for awhile), but Apple being Apple, found a way to not make that happen. It doesn't change the fact that you can stream those games to pretty much any other mobile device. And it's likely only a matter of time before MS reaches an agreement with Apple on this (Apple would be dumb to turn down the profit they could make off of a deal like this).

Once again, you're arguing semantics. But keep on proving what I'm saying about you!
    Last edited by Weebslol69; 2020-09-09 at 08:54 AM.

Oh no, the original point was that it was good all three consoles exist because of the games we get from them merely existing. To which you replied with the unnecessary and condescending notion that just because Xbox doesn't get exclusive games to just its consoles anymore (since they also release to PC), that somehow makes it irrelevant and not worthy of mention. And yet there are a lot of games we would have never got or would continue to get if it wasn't for the Xbox brand existing and MS's first party studios. So in the end, we get more games....period.

YOU chose to go into specifics that the original comment you replied to didn't mention. It simply said we get more games to play because of all three consoles. Which is objectively true and cannot be refuted. So, you were proven wrong. Time to move on, bud.

- - - Updated - - -

iOS devices were originally suppose to be part of the deal (they even had a beta on iOS for awhile), but Apple being Apple, found a way to not make that happen. It doesn't change the fact that you can stream those games to pretty much any other mobile device. And it's likely only a matter of time before MS reaches an agreement with Apple on this (Apple would be dumb to turn down the profit they could make off of a deal like this).

Once again, you're arguing semantics. But keep on proving what I'm saying about you!
    Once again, half of US mobile devices unable to stream - blame Apple, not own shit argument that is incorrect and deflect to semantics! =D Ignored.
    Last edited by ldev; 2020-09-09 at 02:07 PM.

OK, I'm sorry I called Tech slow, and accused him of trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell the only playstation system to ever sell under 80 mil even was the Vita. Nintendo had the n64, gamecube and Wii U all over same time period and they wish they sniffed 80 mil. Vita has been the only real flop for the brand in it's existence.
    They also had the GBC, GBA, DS, Wii, 3DS and Switch in that time period, their continual success in the handheld shut down Sony's attempts to muscle in on the market as well as develop a truly hybrid console in the Switch.

Whatever advantage Sony had in the mid to late 90s and early 00s, it has been eroded.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.