Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    They don't have to, it's on their map clear as day, and until they say or demonstrate otherwise, you have to accept the map as is.

I didn't say he invented it, I said he modernized and popularized such concepts to western audiences and subsequently worldwide, inspiring and spawning Dungeons & Dragons and a plethora of other fantasy stories featuring humans, Orcs, dwarves, and elves. Tolkien is notorious for having done this.
    It's more accurate to think of any Warcraft map as a work in progress. It has never been finished in any state, through the RTS games, WoW, and even Chronicle.

Things change when the writers want to add anything. Even now in WoW, islands like Kezan, Tel'Abim, the Dragon Isles, and many others aren't shown on the supposedly accurate in-game map. In Shadowlands, Exile's Reach isn't even represented on the map, despite being a large island chain that we go to.

It's generally better to keep an open mind about the fluidity of WoW's map. People argued with foam in their mouths that Pandaria wouldn't be big enough for an entire expansion's worth of content when the trademark for MoP was uncovered, for instance.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

I love how people link the fucking atlas here and sarcastically say "well I wonder whats on the other side of earths map."

You are aware that the earth didn't have America on it's map until after it was discovered, right? Also, you are aware that Azeroth doesn't have satelites that can map the planet right?

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    They've literally said there's "another side" that is entirely unexplored.

Stop trying to be cutesy by pretending you don't know what OP meant and respond seriously.
    They (Blizzard) have literally said otherwise during one of the blizzcons/interviews?
    Why are people even investigating this? There is unfortunately no other big uncharted continents on Azeroth

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedaar View Post
    They (Blizzard) have literally said otherwise during one of the blizzcons/interviews?
    Why are people even investigating this? There is unfortunately no other big uncharted continents on Azeroth
    Ummm.. they haven't said there is no other side, they've been avoiding that question or just outright make a vague statement making it possible.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I love how people link the fucking atlas here and sarcastically say "well I wonder whats on the other side of earths map."

You are aware that the earth didn't have America on it's map until after it was discovered, right? Also, you are aware that Azeroth doesn't have satelites that can map the planet right?
    I agree with you, but Azeroth actually does have Titan satellites from Ulduar and the Gnomes have their own Orbital Targeting Device. It would explain why there are hologram globes in Ulduar as well, but to your point, the globes in Ulduar also aren't accurate.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

They don't have to, it's on their map clear as day, and until they say or demonstrate otherwise, you have to accept the map as is.
    No, I don't have to accept your interpretation of the map because Blizzard never stated that the map shown in the game is the entire surface of Azeroth. And once again: the evidence shown within the game suggest that the map is not the whole of Azeroth and what we see might just be the upper hemisphere of the planet.

I didn't say he invented it, I said he modernized and popularized such concepts to western audiences and subsequently worldwide, inspiring and spawning Dungeons & Dragons and a plethora of other fantasy stories featuring humans, Orcs, dwarves, and elves. Tolkien is notorious for having done this.
    It doesn't matter. To say Warcraft was inspired in Tolkien's work just because it has elves, orcs and humans is just plain nonsense. The connections are just too flimsy.

I'd say this is a very pointless point to argue about.

Blizzard deliberately leaves this blank in order to be able to expand upon, should there be a need.

Hell, they don't even shy of adding land masses on the side we know about and hang out daily, let alone on the possible other side of Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    No, I don't have to accept your interpretation of the map because Blizzard never stated that the map shown in the game is the entire surface of Azeroth. And once again: the evidence shown within the game suggest that the map is not the whole of Azeroth and what we see might just be the upper hemisphere of the planet.

It doesn't matter. To say Warcraft was inspired in Tolkien's work just because it has elves, orcs and humans is just plain nonsense. The connections are just too flimsy.
    You don't have to accept my interpretations, you have to accept Blizzard's. It's their game, their map, and until they change it, it is what it is. Your evidence could just be a red herring, they don't have to adhere to the laws of science to create their world.

Warcraft and every fantasy-like work is inspired by Tolkien, the Godfather of fantasy so to speak, that is well established and regarded to anyone that is familiar with both literature and the fantasy genre, both in-game and literature. You don't get to argue that because you'd be a single soul yelling at the Wailing Wall.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Tadaaa!
    Thank you, I can sleep easier now

If there is another side, I hope we travel there with Extremely little influence from our old heroes.
    Blizzard should build a total new story with its own heroes.

I love Jaina, Thrall, Sylvanas and all; but a new group of legendary heroes and lore would be awsome.

I hope we dive deep into the characters in Shadowlands.

Thats like saying the ninja turtles wherent inspired by turtles just because turtles.

See how that sounds?
    Extremism and radicalisation is the bane of society

You don't have to accept my interpretations, you have to accept Blizzard's.
    I'll repeat an important fact from my previous post that you ignored:
    Blizzard never stated that the map shown in the game is the entire surface of Azeroth.
    So, no. We don't have Blizzard's "interpretation" because they never stated their interpretation, either way. At no point they stated that the in-game map is or is not "the whole of Azeroth".

You are taking your opinion and putting it forth as fact. Worse: you're acting as if you're speaking for Blizzard.

Warcraft and every fantasy-like work is inspired by Tolkien, the Godfather of fantasy so to speak, that is well established and regarded to anyone that is familiar with both literature and the fantasy genre, both in-game and literature. You don't get to argue that because you'd be a single soul yelling at the Wailing Wall.
    Again, you spout opinions as fact. Especially since Warcraft was inspired off the Warhammer universe.

Again, you spout opinions as fact. Especially since Warcraft was inspired off the Warhammer universe.
    Warcraft draws inspiration from many different universes. Drawing inspiration from the Warhammer universe doesnt rule out them drawing inspiration from Tolkien, who btw everyone using elves draws inspiration from, just like he was inspired by old folklore and myths and so on,

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Are you a flat earther? Because saying there's another side to azeroth's map is like saying there's another side to earth's map.

The in-game map is a flat representation of a round globe, just like earth. There is no other side.
    how the fuck did you even get this from what the OP wrote?

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Warcraft draws inspiration from many different universes. Drawing inspiration from the Warhammer universe doesnt rule out them drawing inspiration from Tolkien,
    Warcraft was supposed to be a Warhammer game. Just FYI.

[quoe]who btw everyone using elves draws inspiration from, just like he was inspired by old folklore and myths and so on,[/QUOTE]
    Ah. More opinions spouted as fact...

I'll repeat an important fact from my previous post that you ignored:

So, no. We don't have Blizzard's "interpretation" because they never stated their interpretation, either way. At no point they stated that the in-game map is or is not "the whole of Azeroth".

You are taking your opinion and putting it forth as fact. Worse: you're acting as if you're speaking for Blizzard.

Blizzard's interpretation is the map you see and navigate. If there's nothing there you speak of, it's all your imagination until they implement it. Not really, I'm simply interpreting what's in front of me. You keep misunderstanding that somehow.

And the Warhammer universe, as well as all things fantasy pertaining to Humans, Orcs, elves and dwarves were inspired by Tolkien. Ask Chris Metzen or any of the original developers who the Godfather of modern fantasy that modernized and made popular these concepts. They won't say "Warhammer!" Dungeons and Dragons was the catalyst of RPG based on concepts popularized by Tolkien.

Blizzard's interpretation is the map you see and navigate.
    No, it's not. Because, once again, we do not have Blizzard's words to say that the game map is the entirety of Azeroth or not.

What you call "Blizzard's interpretation" is nothing but your own interpretation that you're trying to pass off as Blizzard's. You're stating your opinions as fact, and speaking for Blizzard.

And the Warhammer universe, as well as all things fantasy pertaining to Humans, Orcs, elves and dwarves were inspired by Tolkien.
    Oh look, more opinions spouted as fact. Look: it's fine if you're a fan of Tolkien and his work, but to try to pass off every fictional fantasy setting and universe as "inspired by Tolkien" is just naive and rather fanboy-ish of you.

Ask Chris Metzen or any of the original developers who the Godfather of modern fantasy that modernized and made popular these concepts. They won't say "Warhammer!" Dungeons and Dragons was the catalyst of RPG based on concepts popularized by Tolkien.
    You made the claim, so you go ask them. It's not my job to look for evidence for your claim. You made the claim, you provide the evidence.

No, it's not. Because, once again, we do not have Blizzard's words to say that the game map is the entirety of Azeroth or not.

What you call "Blizzard's interpretation" is nothing but your own interpretation that you're trying to pass off as Blizzard's. You're stating your opinions as fact, and speaking for Blizzard.

Oh look, more opinions spouted as fact. Look: it's fine if you're a fan of Tolkien and his work, but to try to pass off every fictional fantasy setting and universe as "inspired by Tolkien" is just naive and rather fanboy-ish of you.

You made the claim, so you go ask them. It's not my job to look for evidence for your claim. You made the claim, you provide the evidence.
    It is Blizzard's interpretation. It's their map. If I create a fictional world with a fictional map, is it not my interpretation even if I decide to change it later? Don't be obtuse.

I'm not even going to bother, if you don't recognize Tolkien's works as an inspiration for all fantasy media in the west, it's not worth convincing you even if there is an interview out there I could quote, you'll find some way to squirm through a counter-argument because either you don't know your fantasy history, or you don't care to give the man who popularized concepts like immortal elves, the drunken dwarf cliché, The Witch King, or The Necromancer.

Warcraft was supposed to be a Warhammer game. Just FYI.

[quoe]who btw everyone using elves draws inspiration from, just like he was inspired by old folklore and myths and so on,
    Ah. More opinions spouted as fact...
    it wasnt supposed to be a Warhammer game - they had discussions about it but in the end choose not to file for a license because they wanted to controll their own product.

I like how you act like i spout opinions as facts when its LITERALLY the other way around. There is no getting around that jrr is the progenitor of the elves and orcs as we know them. You not liking that doesnt make it an opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    All this petty arguing is so silly it's almost comical.

There may be something between EK and Kalimdor going east to west respectfully, or there isn't, it's that simple.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!