Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    I don't see how keeping the same monetization is success. FF11 is sub only too even 18 years after release, Ultima Online was sub only for 20 years, DAoC dropped the sub less than a year ago. Do you consider them popular?

You think retention rate of 5% is success?
    You think 1m retention is bad for an mmo? Not many that have that.

Pretty sure WoW has previously announced having above 100m accounts. Subs today? 3m last we were told, possibly less now.

If the highest sucess is a 3% retention, i'd say 5% isn't bad at all.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-09-02 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Pretty sure WoW has previously announced having above 100m accounts. Subs today? 3m last we were told, possibly less now.
    WoW had 100M registered accounts in MoP with 8-10M subscribers, which makes it at least 8% retention. Last confirmed subscriber numbers were in WoD with 5.5M, not 3M. It's also worth noting that current FF14 numbers are inflated by coronavirus, content drought in WoW's unpopular expansion and half a year period with free starter edition for PS4 players and login campaign. We'll see what they'll look like in 6 months or so.

And we return to metrics. Before ShB FF14 had 500k-700k subscribers, going by generous estimation of 600000 subscribers * $13/month * 12 months would give us 93.6M per year. This'd make around 561M total from 2013 to 2019 and maybe another 156M in ShB if average subscribers were around 1M (they were lower, but I'm being generous). So around 717M since ARR release. SWTOR, that's considered failure by pretty much any MMO snobist, earned 1B between 2012 and 2019. BDO earned 1B in last 4 years. So again, where's FF14's presumed success?
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

WoW had 100M registered accounts in MoP with 8-10M subscribers, which makes it at least 8% retention. Last confirmed subscriber numbers were in WoD with 5.5M, not 3M. It's also worth noting that current FF14 numbers are inflated by coronavirus, content drought in WoW's unpopular expansion and half a year period with free starter edition for PS4 players and login campaign. We'll see what they'll look like in 6 months or so.

And we return to metrics. Before ShB FF14 had 500k-700k subscribers, going by generous estimation of 600000 subscribers * $13/month * 12 months would give us 93.6M per year. This'd make around 561M total from 2013 to 2019 and maybe another 156M in ShB if average subscribers were around 1M (they were lower, but I'm being generous). So around 717M since ARR release. SWTOR, that's considered failure by pretty much any MMO snobist, earned 1B between 2012 and 2019. BDO earned 1B in last 4 years. So again, where's FF14's presumed success?
    So a content drought is your excuse for WoW but apparently FF14 doesn't get to use the same excuse? I wonder why?

Also there is no way in hell WoW still has 5 million subs. If that was the case I bet servers would be being connected bat the rate they are now.

There was a leak through the API that showed there being 3M subs. Was never officially confirmed, obviously, but it is very plausible. The server mergers prove that the game isn't on WoD levels anymore. Account numbers haven't been updated since the announcement.
    They are all successful. What is your point? FFXIV is successful otherwise they wouldn't be developing new xpacs for it.

You seem to want to pass the excuse that FFXIV isn't successful in whatever mind dimension you believe you live in, but it is. What you just showed are successful numbers.
    Even if it were as you say and WoW had 8% retention and FFXIV 5% retention it's still successful cause it makes lots of money. It is beyond me how extreme capitalism is so up your skull you can't see it.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-09-02 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    So a content drought is your excuse for WoW but apparently FF14 doesn't get to use the same excuse? I wonder why?

Also there is no way in hell WoW still has 5 million subs. If that was the case I bet servers would be being connected bat the rate they are now.
    I'm not giving any excuses for WoW, I don't care about it. I said that Blizzard doesn't publish the subs or total accounts, so there's no data to base any argument on. I can say the same about FF14, ShB is an outlier and there's no way to tell if the rapid growth is long time trend or it's just a fluke. I tend to think it's the latter.
    There was a leak through the API that showed there being 3M subs. Was never officially confirmed, obviously, but it is very plausible. The server mergers prove that the game isn't on WoD levels anymore. Account numbers haven't been updated since the announcement.
    They are all successful. What is your point? FFXIV is successful otherwise they wouldn't be developing new xpacs for it.

You seem to want to pass the excuse that FFXIV isn't successful in whatever mind dimension you believe you live in, but it is. What you just showed are successful numbers.
    Even if it were as you say and WoW had 8% retention and FFXIV 5% retention it's still successful cause it makes lots of money. It is beyond me how extreme capitalism is so up your skull you can't see it.
    You know, good thing before joining a discussion is at least reading what it's about. Since you obviously didn't do that, I kindly bring it to your attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malix Farwin View Post
    The game is the the most successful MMO since WoW and nothing else but WoW beats it.
    Read your post again and try to find anything that's related to whether FF14 is "the most successful MMO since WoW" or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

is WoW successful? because their retention rate is similar.

Why are you so against the idea that FFXIV is a successful MMO? Maybe calling it the second most successful MMO only to WoW is a bit of an exaggeration, but to outright say it's NOT successful? That's just false.

I'm not giving any excuses for WoW, I don't care about it. I said that Blizzard doesn't publish the subs or total accounts, so there's no data to base any argument on. I can say the same about FF14, ShB is an outlier and there's no way to tell if the rapid growth is long time trend or it's just a fluke. I tend to think it's the latter.

You know, good thing before joining a discussion is at least reading what it's about. Since you obviously didn't do that, I kindly bring it to your attention.

Read your post again and try to find anything that's related to whether FF14 is "the most successful MMO since WoW" or not.
    I mean, you point that out but you said this:

You clearly were implying FFXIV isn't successful. There was no relation to WoW there. You outright implied that 5% retention is bad.

At least you retreated from that point. Yeah, i don't know if atm FF is more successful or less than WoW, cause neither shows their numbers. The numbers we have for WoW are extremely outdated too, as you also point out.

"We don't know" is the right answer.

Obviously a type seeing as you see "the the" when it should of said "one of the". but i suppose you are free to nitpick a post made at 3 in the morning.

- - - Updated - - -

By what metric?
    Are you saying that FFXIV is not a successful MMO? I would think at the very least people would agree on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Runescape has bigger sub numbers and there are many F2P/B2P games that you exclude, while they bring more money.
    Did you relly just compare FFXIV sub numbers to Runescape with zero factual evidence? First of all MMOs these days stopped reporting sub numbers and B even based on concurrent login tracking FFXIV stomps it in numbers. You are literally hating on FFXIV just to hate on it at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

none thinks a retention rate of 5% is successful however only you are the one implying that FFXIV has a 5% retention rate, there is no actual data to support your claim.

But i mean when a company flat out comes out and says that not only have they made their money back from the failure of 1.0 in the first year but also FFXIV is helping to fun their other games it still cannot be a success unless they post 10m concurrent subs i guess. 14 is around the 1m mark and those sub numbers are VERY GOOD in a time where MMOs in general are struggling just to get even a quarter of those numbers. Its successful get over it.
    Last edited by Malix Farwin; 2020-09-03 at 06:23 AM.

I loved the game, but the GCD was just too much for me :/

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sanaubia View Post
    I loved the game, but the GCD was just too much for me :/
    That's why the game is very weave/OGCD heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    What are you on about?

Their 8-man Savage Raids are INCREDIBLY fun. Tons of mythic raiders play in these when Mythic is on farm. It's fantastic raid content.

But yeah - the rest of the game leaves something to be desired unless you're a big FF fan.
    lol this savage tier fucking sucks ass, the least fun ive had raiding in xiv.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see how keeping the same monetization is success. FF11 is sub only too even 18 years after release, Ultima Online was sub only for 20 years, DAoC dropped the sub less than a year ago. Do you consider them popular?

considering registered users count the free trial, yes, most online games that allow you to register for free have low rates like this, especially mmos that take alot of time to get into.

- - - Updated - - -

you're not counting items bought on the mogstation, they straight up scamming people there man, like £20 for some mounts.

and guess what, people buy it, alot of people buy it. along with job boosts, story skips, expansion sales etc. there is alot more than a subscription that lends into their revenue.

along with this, they have been around for 1 year less.

I was going to try to hit 60 and get as far as I could in the free trial but I think I am done. The story has gone so far off the rails and the cut scenes so frequent and annoying I just don't think I can stomach doing any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    im not really a fan of the game, but not for the reasons you're mentioning
    I think its worse now that you can basically do all the MSQ quests back to back to back. It quickly devloves to go here kill 1 mob cut scene head back cut scene go to next room cut scene go back to the room you were in cut scene go kill one more mob cut scene go back to quest giver cut scene. In 3 hours of play I was in control of my character for about 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    I think its worse now that you can basically do all the MSQ quests back to back to back. It quickly devloves to go here kill 1 mob cut scene head back cut scene go to next room cut scene go back to the room you were in cut scene go kill one more mob cut scene go back to quest giver cut scene. In 3 hours of play I was in control of my character for about 15 minutes.
    Yeah, the MSQ grind is a mistake. I lose so many friends to the MSQ grind at around level 50. The story might be good, but the in game cinematics are stiff with awkard pausing and some weird animations. It really detracts from the story. Since most of the game is gated behind the MSQ, its not even optional. They really need to scrap the MSQ for ARR and come up with something different.

Me and my brother bought this game a while back, enjoyed playing it during the rare moments when we weren't doing MSQs. Once we found triple triad we played that for hours on end but honestly and this is the truth, after we spent a week of playing triple triad, we spoke about going back to do the MSQ's and we both decided to quit, we had become so sick of doing those. We got to level 66-68 or so before we packed it in.

In short, we enjoyed the game, didn't mind the slower paced combat or the feel of the game but man those MSQ's are fucked..

I decided to play recently since my friend was. I did a really long grind, followed the story all the ways through. I finally reached the end dungeon of the base game. The moment all my questing and story has prepared me for. I am ready to get my fight on with the ultimate weapon. Just kidding, while I am in cut scenes and text conversations that I can't skip. The rest of the party I got Q'd into knows a loophole where they can DC themselves to skip which can not be skipped while I am watching and reading. I fought no one, they defeated the entire dungeon before my cut scenes were complete.

And don't even get me started on how there's no voice acting in the game except in the main story quest and that isn't even the case because it's select scenes. Just really dumb experience over all.

Also: Final Fantasy: A Realm of Teleporting

What a fucking joke of a game.
    Last edited by Biggles Worth; 2020-09-12 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Worth View Post
    I decided to play recently since my friend was. I did a really long grind, followed the story all the ways through. I finally reached the end dungeon of the base game. The moment all my questing and story has prepared me for. I am ready to get my fight on with the ultimate weapon. Just kidding, while I am in cut scenes and text conversations that I can't skip. The rest of the party I got Q'd into knows a loophole where they can DC themselves to skip which can not be skipped while I am watching and reading. I fought no one, they defeated the entire dungeon before my cut scenes were complete.

And don't even get me started on how there's no voice acting in the game except in the main story quest and that isn't even the case because it's select scenes. Just really dumb experience over all.

What a fucking joke of a game.
    Yes who thought lets put the culmination of the initial game into a raid with like 40 minutes of cutscenes it forces you to watch with a whole lot of high level raiders who don't want to be there have done it a ton and will do whatever they can to get it over with glitch it bug it whatever they don't care they just want to get out of there.

Piece of advice, kid: if you enter into situations expecting a specific outcome, that's probably what you'll get. You heard this game was good and something about that drove you to prove it wrong, now you're here hoping to find reinforcement for your subjectively constructed experience.

You could learn from this, if you really wanted to. You probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    Yes who thought lets put the culmination of the initial game into a raid with like 40 minutes of cutscenes it forces you to watch with a whole lot of high level raiders who don't want to be there have done it a ton and will do whatever they can to get it over with glitch it bug it whatever they don't care they just want to get out of there.
    It's so dumb why they made it that way and I entirely don't blame the people at all for doing that skip but on my end it's like WTF ya know, great gameplay experience. Even if I do the skip, I don't want to DC myself for every text and cut scene to keep up. I got so damn salty.

Normally if you don't want to keep the group waiting, you can read and watch what happens online afterwards and play the dungeon out. They did the reverse uno card where you can't play the dungeon out but you can watch and read the story instead lol ??????

the api fails to take in account potential milions that dont take part in those activities,and the server merges were needed since even wrath days,even classic that has had amazing succes is full of dead server that could use a ton of merges