Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just make a TV show... stop with the movies... Warcraft has too much lore you will just end up stuffing the movie with so much that casual movie goers will shit on it for the same reason they shit on the previous movie.

With a series akin to Castlevania you have many episodes to get all you want it you can have proper build and time.. especially in this Netflix era, why they wont do this boggles my mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Source and what is the basis on this figure? Blizzard as a company separate of Activision?

All I found was this

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...zard/net-worth

Activision Blizzard net worth as of September 15, 2020 is $61.07B.

I can't imagine that Blizzard is worth 1.4b when that figure is roughly what they're bringing in annually (Just Blizz, not Activision Blizzard as a whole).
    First result I got when I googled blizzard net worth. I'm also not looking at it with blizzard being a separate entity, just didn't feel like typing two words.

The article OP showed looks fake, or very untrustworthy. The article doesn't mention any sources or links, just that a new movie is coming. I'm not seeing any other sites reporting it. Also, the article was written by someone called "Admin".

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    It only flopped in the US due to people listening to corrupt rating sites like Rotten Tomatoes.

The movie did very good in Europe and Asia.
    It didn't earn much in Europe either.

It was success only in China, and as much as Hollywood likes to pander to CCP, I doubt they'll start making movies primarily for CCP anytime soon, especially given how big of a shitshow whole CCP-relations have became since Warcraft movie.

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    LMAO dude what movie did you watch? It was terrible. The CGI was bad on everything except the Orcs, the plot was atrocious and boring, the acting was beyond wooden. The costume design was disgraceful.

What did you watch? You think there's some grand conspiracy? It only did badly because Rotten Tomatoes is corrupt? Do you even know what that site is? I'm guessing you don't. It's a review aggregate. It gives films scores based off ALL of the reviews it receives. Do you know what that means? It means all of the reviews Warcrap got were terrible.
    I loved the CGI (except for the oversized orc hands) and the cotumes.

The acting and the script were atrocious, though, as well at the pacing of the film (way too fast).

They will be doing the Arthas one they would be incredibly imbecilic to not do the most popular story in Warcraft , China really doesn't give a shit about skeletons like everyone thinks they do lmao, and if they had a problem they just make the fully flesh or full skeleton.

I think it's too early for a Warcraft reboot film.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    They will be doing the Arthas one they would be incredibly imbecilic to not do the most popular story in Warcraft , China really doesn't give a shit about skeletons like everyone thinks they do lmao, and if they had a problem they just make the fully flesh or full skeleton.
    The whole flesh and skeleton thing is not because of the Chinese audience. It was more a self-imposed regulation by Publishers.

China has a rule that only Chinese publishers can release games in the market, and those games need to meet government approval. Blizzard worked with The9 to publish WoW. Early on, there were no hard rules for what needs to be censored and whatvis acceptable, but knowing they have to get the game approved by the government, publishers would work harder to self-censor in order to get through the govwrnment approval process quicker.

Now they work with Netease, a publisher that has more resources and reach in the market, and there aren't the same restrictions that we all meme about from the early WoW days.

There are many games in China now that feature skeletons. Diablo 3, Warcraft 3 Reforged both have very detailed skeletons that are not censored in either game.

The self-censorship of Chinese publishers is well documented now. Even Pirates of the Caribbean didn't get any censorship at all when it was released in China back in early 2000's
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-09-16 at 05:00 PM.

I liked the first Warcraft movie. I saw it opening night and bought the DVD. But it definitely had problems. There was certainly too much going on for the average movie goer, and I only followed the story well as I did because I know the lore from the games. What they need to do is pick a particular character/story/vantage point and stick with it instead of trying to condense so much into a single movie. An adaptation of Christie Golden's Arthas book would make an excellent movie for example because it does not try to tell everything about WC3 in a single movie, but it focuses on a single character and develops them as the story unfolds. You can do this for other characters such as Lothar, Thrall, Illidan, Malfurion, etc, though probably best to stick to characters dead and their stories finished.

I really think if they make another one they should start with the Arthas book because it is the most likely path to success. Once you have that foundation you can look at other avenues.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    The whole flesh and skeleton thing is not because of the Chinese audience.

China has a rule that only Chinese publishers can release games in the market, and those games need to meet government approval. Early on, there were no hard rules for what needs to be censored and whatvis acceptable, but knowing they have to get the game approved by the government, publishers would work harder to self-censor in order to get through the govwrnment approval process quicker.

There are many games in China now that feature skeletons. Diablo 3, Warcraft 3 Reforged both have very detailed skeletons that are not censored in either game.

The self-censorship of Chinese publishers is well documented now. Even Chinese movies have realistic CG skeletons in em.
    Exactly my point, people thought it was a rule but it really isn't.

It failed in its first cinematic outing, badly. It was worse than a critical or financial failure, it was an afterthought. Its own hardcore fans were underwhelmed. The general public didn't even care about it enough to shit on it. Critics saw it as a joke. In the scheme of "so bad it's good" movies, it doesn't even make the cut. Street Fighter with Van-Damme and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation have more notoriety. No big movie studio, like a movie of this genre requires, would get behind another Warcraft movie again, with WoW's peak behind it.

The best one can hope for is Netflix or HBO: Max getting interested in making a high budget TV series out of it, and even that seems like a long shot right now.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    From Wikipedia-Warcraft grossed $47.4 million in the United States, and $391.7 million in other countries, for a worldwide total of $439 million.[3] Given its $160 million net production budget, The Hollywood Reporter reported the film needed to earn at least $450 million to break-even.[44][45] In July 2016, the magazine reported the film lost the studio around $15 million, although noted several executives put the losses in the $30–40 million range.[46]

Worldwide, it is the highest-grossing film of all time based on a video game (breaking Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time's record).[47] It is the first video game film to cross $400 million in ticket sales globally.[48] The film joined Terminator Genisys as the only American films to earn $400 million worldwide without also crossing $100 million in North America,[49] and also one of the few Hollywood releases to earn $100 million in China without making $100 million in the United States.[50]

To think $439 million dollars gross is considered poorly performing.
    Was it a great movie? No.
    Good enough to watch again? Yes.

I agree with those that think a Netflix style show, animated or live action, would be best bet going forward.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    There is also no way any studio would commit to a cinematic universe for a video game.
    I think it's a matter of time until more studios / streaming services pick up video game stories. The old white farts at the helm of those studios die out and are replaced with people who grew up playing video games, the audiences will change - soon there will be hardly anyone who didn't grow up with video games.

Also, see The Witcher got a show, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    if the reboot happens its needs to have a single person/company in charge of the story, slow the pacing down, and not try to cover both orcs and human backstories IMO focus on humans a'la Warcraft Orcs and humans, let the Orcs origin be a mystery, evil force. Key orc figures could be seen on the battlefield and maybe some acting time but not much. Let it be about the humans struggle to fight them off, losing town after town with the ending scene being SW burning as the humans flee setting up the 2nd to follow WII that is more Orc focused. Once you knock out the RTS trilogy, you do a prequel movie on the Orcs and War of the Ancients trilogy. Then move forward with WoW stories, starting WotLK.
    That sounds much better than what Duncan Jones did. Unfortunately he didn't learn anything from the first movie. Sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    No it didn't.

The Witcher BOOKS got a show. The game is only loosely based on the books.
    Witcher is Witcher. The visuals are based on the game for sure. And let's be honest, there are more people playing this game than have read the books....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post

It was success only in China, and as much as Hollywood likes to pander to CCP, I doubt they'll start making movies primarily for CCP anytime soon, especially given how big of a shitshow whole CCP-relations have became since Warcraft movie.
    Not to mention what happened with Mulan. Hopefully studios learn a lesson that banking on Chinese money is not always a sure thing.

A reboot should introduce the world slowly.

1. Let the audience experience the world and story through a person that is just as unexperienced as a viewer who has never seen the game before.

2. I could imagine even having a narrator.

3. Don't burn all major characters in 2 hours - what a waste.

4. Let the world unfold slowly for heavens sake. Tell a story from a sideline perspective, not the major characters.

5. Tell an original story within the Warcraft story. There's no suspense if half the audience already knows the outcome of everything. Where's the fun in that?

That's my 5 cents anyways

PS: The first movie would have been much more entertaining and relatable if it would have been told out of the perspective of young Khadgar growing up until the first orc invasion.
    Last edited by Eggroll; 2020-09-16 at 05:11 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather get a series

A movie is too limited to cram everything Warcraft has. Hell, the movie itself had so many main characters we never knew who to follow
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    What are you talking about? The movie had the no1 worldwide longest running time in Germany, followed by France.

Castlevania is something I never expected to be as good as it became. Videogame adaptations have a terrible track record with anything mainstream, but seems like studios are starting to listen to fan feedback.

Sonic movie was surprisingly watchable after the fixes too.

What Blizzard could do is focus on their strengths and produce a limited, streaming animated feature or series -- not a sprawling, star-studded, live-action cinema release.

I love the original guys like Metzen but the movie had "fantasy-from-age-16-done-with-megacash" written all over it.