Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Love the tribalism.

YOU MUST FOLLOW OUR LAWS! ONLY WE CAN BE TRUSTED TO RULE!
    Oh, the horror of having a court that...actually reflects the country.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Uh, you seem to forget a large portion of the US military still sees Russia as an enemy, and China even more so.
    ... or the fact that there is absolutely no point for Russia and China to intervene. They will be busy filling orders, that we used to...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Oh, the horror of having a court that...actually reflects the country.
    Sorry, but "packing the court" means not representing the country...
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Crossposting:

A RAY OF HOPE. Grassley and Collins have joined Romney and Murkowski in committing to not confirming a new Justice until after the inauguration. There is NOTHING to hold them to their promises, of course, but they've all now made these statements publicly as far as I can tell so it's likely the most we're going to get at this point.
    The fact that GOP senators are so totally self-serving may finally play to our benefit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crossposting:

A RAY OF HOPE. Grassley and Collins have joined Romney and Murkowski in committing to not confirming a new Justice until after the inauguration. There is NOTHING to hold them to their promises, of course, but they've all now made these statements publicly as far as I can tell so it's likely the most we're going to get at this point.
    I'd express my confidence in these four individuals but as I am unable to find it without a microscope handy, we'll just have to see.

- - - Updated - - -

By that metric the court is already packed, hun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Crossposting:

Well, either they have a shred of principles, or they're going for the "carrot on a stick for their voters" route.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Crossposting:

Good... since my rays of hope seem to have failed... not that I tried too hard... going off on the silly civil war instead.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

How many current justices were nominated by a president that didn't win the most votes, again?
    -Louis Brandeis

Love the tribalism.

Correct. The people salivating at the chance to strip others of their rights cannot be trusted to rule.

You've finally managed to say something that wasn't complete dogshit. Congratulations.

How many current justices were nominated by a president that didn't win the most votes, again?
    The chief justice, for starters.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I wish I could believe them. I could see Collins holding out until the election at least, but after the election, whatever the results, I can absolutely see the Senate ramming a nominee through. Especially if Republicans lose the White House and/or the Senate. There's nothing stopping them from confirming a Justice on January 18 as far as I know.
    New Senators are sworn in January 3rd, so if Dems win the majority, it would need to be crammed in before then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    So they claim. They also claimed the Skripals got sick off window poisoning...sorry, food window... Chicken poisoning? Whatever their latest nonsense is.

Y'all really seek out the weirdest battles to fight. Lol.
    I am well versed in military matters.

Had to edit my previous post, unfortunately. The commitments by Collins and Grassley might not have been from today, so are likely even more suspect. *sigh*

No it doesn't.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    And did I say that we currently represented the country? Just blindly cramming as many of your yesmen and women as you can add seats doesn't suddenly make justice.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    And did I say that we currently represented the country? Just blindly cramming as many of your yesmen and women as you can add seats doesn't suddenly make justice.
    If the court is unbalanced then wouldn't putting more of the opposite viewpoint balance it, by definition?

Just admit that when you and other right wingers say "a balanced court", what you mean is a "a court that is balanced to check any liberal legislation", fucking lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Courts have always been undemocratic and has never represented the country. The Founding Fathers chose to make it that way when they had the Senate and not the House confirm appointments.

Love the tribalism.

Why should the right be trusted to rule?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    If the court is unbalanced then wouldn't putting more of the opposite viewpoint balance it, by definition?

Just admit that when you and other right wingers say "a balanced court", what you mean is a "a court that is balanced to check any liberal legislation", fucking lol.
    No, a balanced court is one that ensures the laws are constitutional per the ever-changing interpretation of the letter and intent of the document and it's writers. If that means checking liberal legislation, then so be it. If that means checking conservative legislation, then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I think he's talking about the concern trolls that frequent the general election thread and all over the internet. I could be wrong.
    Those people frankly are right-wingers.