Upgrading 2016 build

In preparation for Shadowlands I'm upgrading the GPU and adding secondary storage for files and less demanding games. It should consistently run at 60 FPS and suffice for most PC games for at least the next three years under a modest budget. Being the first major upgrade for this rig, I'm concerned about potential bottlenecks, longevity, and the difference in quality between Samsung EVO and EQO SSDs for secondary storage.

Potential Shadowlands build

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($193.28 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memory: Crucial 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory ($52.73 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($107.99 @ Adorama)
    >> Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Adorama)
    >> Video Card: *MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($204.99 @ B&H)
    Case: NZXT S340 ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)

2016 build
    Old GPU lul

GPU selection

SSD selection
    Last edited by Twerking As Intended; 2020-09-21 at 05:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a 1660 super, and an MX500 instead

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Get a 1660 super, and an MX500 instead
    Updated. I considered two other super cards but I figured I didn't need DVI ports from the EVGA card or the potential cable management problems that'd come with the longer, triple-fan Gigebyte card. Also added an identical RAM card since 16 gigs is often considered the standard now.

Do you think the 1-TB MX500 would be better suited as the primary SSD for gaming? I'm considering Destiny 2's notoriously huge file size and should probably expect the same with future high-performance titles.
    Last edited by Twerking As Intended; 2020-09-22 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twerking As Intended View Post
    Do you think the 1-TB MX500 would be better suited as the primary SSD for gaming? I'm considering Destiny 2's notoriously huge file size and should probably expect the same with future high-performance titles.
    Install size is not file size.

If you look at the files, its thousands of relatively small files.

Game Load times are almost no different on an NVMe SSD than a SATA SSD. Edit: Im not saying get a SATA drive, merely that you wouldn't notice much difference. Given how cheap M.2 drives are right now, there's no reason not to get one just to avoid the cable hassle.

This may change with nVidia's new tech that allows the GPU to decompress stuff, but thats got to be implemented by devs first.

There's no real reason to spend out on a Samsung drive for a non-Prosumer user.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2020-09-22 at 09:10 AM.