Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I would have more respect and appreciation for Sylvanas if she died as a villain. You believe that the cosmos is inherently flawed and needs to be shattered? So be it. But stick to those ideals until the very end. Go down with dignity fighting for what you believe in, instead of doing a complete 180° at the end because "I was manipulated!!!11!" (looking at Grommash).
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sea = High winds. High winds + fire = inferno.

Moisture and water dont mean a hell of a lot once the fire is going good. If its hot enough it will burn quickly. Burning pitch will not be slowed much by wet wood.

Now the catapults were completely stupid but so was the whole War of Thorns.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    If you think Sylvanas won't be punished for her actions in BFA I have a burnt stump and a plagued city to sell you.
    Honestly the who point of Shadowlands is that mortal life is pointless and no one cares about mortals beyond the Anima they bring.

While it's still complete bullshit..but I remember something in the novella about shamans fanning the flames via elemental mumbo jumbo. Again there is still so much wrong with this, but after literally stabbing the planet with a giant sword every kind of rational thought had left the writers it seems.. or they didn't have a say in it to begin with and this was all done by the rule-of-cool middle school dropouts in other departments.

That being said, we already memed this shit to death 2 years ago. Just put it on the pile and start meming the new rubbish.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surtruk View Post
    How large of a population does Teldrassil have that two weeks of portals cannot transport them all? Warcraft as a setting has never defined either of these metrics. Unless they are clearly defined prior to this event, my point stands: It's absurd in the most literal sense of the word. It's a contrivance for the sake of achieving a specific story. Civilians not evacuating makes as much sense as the catapults hitting the tree.
    likely in the hundreds of thousands but thats just my guess given that the wrath gate was 9000 soldiers at the wrath gate alone. trying to get that many people to keep calm and line up orderly at the risk of losing every thing would be an absolute night mare not to mention they are night elfs and value the animal life and were evacting them as well when they could.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellamas View Post
    Blizzard loves them some Horde.
    At least most of the prominent Alliance leaders are still alive and part of the Alliance.

Yeah, it was nonsense.

Keep in mind Steve Danuser and Alex were most likely the two. That pushed the narrative of having Teldrassil burned. Not surprising from danuser since he does favor horde.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    If you think Sylvanas won't be punished for her actions in BFA I have a burnt stump and a plagued city to sell you.
    Nah sylvanas is playing 5th dimensional chess, she is actually gonna be the hero of shadowlands, declaring shadowlands free at the end.
    Just like how Orc hitler was able declare drenaor was free while we ignored how he previously ordered the genocide and rape of everything in his way

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    At least most of the prominent Alliance leaders are still alive and part of the Alliance.
    Varian, Bolvar, Magni and Staghelm join the chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    likely in the hundreds of thousands but thats just my guess given that the wrath gate was 9000 soldiers at the wrath gate alone. trying to get that many people to keep calm and line up orderly at the risk of losing every thing would be an absolute night mare not to mention they are night elfs and value the animal life and were evacting them as well when they could.
    Wasn't it stated to be tens of thousands? Nelf people aren't exactly known to be fast breeders and in lore it is actually depicted as a multi level tree. I think a 10-50k would already be an impressive population given the setting.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Wasn't it stated to be tens of thousands? Nelf people aren't exactly known to be fast breeders and in lore it is actually depicted as a multi level tree. I think a 10-50k would already be an impressive population given the setting.
    I think and i could be wrong that the old RPG had them at like 100k but that's not canon. I think it also says in one of the chronicles that In one of the expans there were about 100k losses on both horde and alliance and I can't see the night elfs being around 50k if there are so many troops dying in a single expan's time frame.

though I could be totally wrong on both numbers as I don't have a good way to check them from either source.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine needing two years to come up with such a halfhearted cry for attention

I play World of Warcraft but I DEMAND serious and high-end writing with realistic science behind everything, NYAH!

10+ Year Old Account
    They wanted the shock value and they got it.

BUT!

It was a very forced event that ignored a lot of things just to happen, and it put the final nail in the coffin to any and every attempt the horde will make at pretending to be redeemable in the future.

Also I really dislike how elves and worgen end up in Stormwind. Why are our factions capable of creating outposts and small towns in the blink of an eye, but meaningful cities can be counted on fingertips? Are there no alternatives? It feels like everything needs to be in Stormwind at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Go read the short story’s a good way and elegy they explain that he horde were using arcane fire from mages which burns even on the surface of water that was then spread with shamans and others.
    Ah okay thanks for that. See I assumed there'd be more since all we got to see was a couple seconds of the start of the attack lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Die View Post
    That's the best part: most of the actual burning of the tree was off-screen. You know, the part that the most interesting. People still wonder how it was actually done. Nah, let's not show it.
    It would have been cool if a part of the questline took the Alliance through atop Teldrassil as the burning was ramping up (not just evacuating Darnassus), while the Horde got taken through parts of setting it ablaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Nah sylvanas is playing 5th dimensional chess, she is actually gonna be the hero of shadowlands, declaring shadowlands free at the end.
    Just like how Orc hitler was able declare drenaor was free while we ignored how he previously ordered the genocide and rape of everything in his way
    It's like nobody played the mag'har scenario that finishes the story where he 1) actually does something redemption-worthy and 2) dies for good measure.

Did we redeem Deathwing? No, we killed him.
    Did we redeem Sargeras? No, imprisoned.
    Did we redeem Illidan? Well yes but technically no.

Sylvanas is a villain that personally hurt us, the players. Burning our starting zones, betraying our trust, and killing characters we [were supposed to] care about. They will have us personally kill her, just like how Velen got to have his final moment against Kil'jaeden who sold out his people to the Burning Legion. Quote me on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    You've got a magical tree the size of a mountain miles away at sea, but Horde catapults equip their +50000 range + 50000$ gear and burn the shit down to a crisp in the matter of a night?

"It's a game, it's a magical world."

Give me a fucking break, you realize with that kind of firepower they could at any time teleport those catapults in Elwynn and literally blow up Stormwind in minutes?

What the hell were they firing, plot devices to the power absurdity? How many did they have, 10000 of them? What was Darnassus made of, rotten dead wood?

It's just idiotic, at this point a single catapult in Warcraft could probably take out Magtheridon in space in one hit if you judge by this event alone.
    Reminder: The other team has magic things as well. None of these things happen in a vacuum regardless of the effort people put into ignoring context.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    It would have been cool if a part of the questline took the Alliance through atop Teldrassil as the burning was ramping up (not just evacuating Darnassus), while the Horde got taken through parts of setting it ablaze.
    Remember how much trouble CoD:MW2 got in trouble for painting that type of thing as objectively bad? Imagine that, but the people that organize it are actual allies with the player. It's never going to happen in a game that wasn't designed for media shock value.

There is no consistency or logic to most things in wow. There is prevalent Horde bias so twisting anything to fit that is the only ligic used
    Night Elves NEED long hair to the ground and more elegant/regal beautiful options to show their Highbourne heritage

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I am not sure if I am just getting older, but it seems like the cool factor is getting more and more noticeable than anything else in WoW.

Soon, we won't have anything explained, everything will just be done to look/feel cool.

One of the strongest mage on Azeroth made a flying ship versus normal catapults throwing some kind of projectiles a few miles away.

Yeah, that's a very good comparison.
    IT'S MAGIC!! I don't have to explain shit!
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    IT'S MAGIC!! I don't have to explain shit!
    The catapults were engineering though, not magic. So shit does indeed need to be explained.