Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you have to be joking. gog even has a longer refund policy then steam. gog has a objectively better refund policy than steam. gog also doesn't have a time played limit for the 30 day refund period.
    Gog makes you fill a stupid survey, waste of time after already being annoyed by a bad game. Thus worse than Steam or Epic who don't make you waste time on a survey and customer support back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    my Win98SE and XP machines .
    Found the problem
    Noirluna the Immortal of Proudmoore

Try abandonware instead,. they usually have a similar or same copy.
    if the gog version doesnt work, but the abandonware one does,. then gog is indeed changing something (unlikely).
    If neither work, then it's probably your system.

if you really want to do that then you save up the money.
    Indeed. As much as I'd enjoy a retro PC set-up, I much prefer spending my spare money on music stuff/my actual 2020 system. I fully understand where the OP is coming from though, as I do partake in some hardware specific retro gaming myself

Quote Originally Posted by kukkamies View Post
    Gog makes you fill a stupid survey, waste of time after already being annoyed by a bad game. Thus worse than Steam or Epic who don't make you waste time on a survey and customer support back and forth.
    Unless you played said game for two hours, then you're SoL on Steam.

10+ Year Old Account
    so your upset you have to fill out a survey?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Lately I tried a whole bunch of GoG games on my Win98SE and XP machines and almost none worked. Seems like they are changing system requirements/dependencies. Anyone else noticed this? I understand they want to make it more compatible with modern machines but they should ADD compatibility not swap it around and break the system it originally was created for. Not buying from them anymore, back the "arr matey" way.
    If you are going to get games the "arr matey" way, why dont you get windows 10 the "arr matey" way so the games will work?

GoGs mission is to make old games run and be available for newer systems not the other way around(older systems), all while being drm free.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

so your upset you have to fill out a survey?
    Yep. It's something extra others don't make you do. Elsewhere you just get the money back but at gog they first try to push gog wallet money or a survey to get real money.
    Already feel scammed by a bad game and then it's a double whammy of them making you fill a survey after it.

Why not? The games are designed for these "legacy systems". It works if I download the original iso's but feels wrong having to resort to piracy for something I own legit.
    The games are modified to run on modern pcs. Because there are like 5 people left on earth who does what you do and the rest of us with new gear want to play old games as well.

What you want is the old software.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    I think there's quite a few of them potentially, but the price and/or holds them back. Getting your hands on good old hardware is getting increasingly expensive as the market grows (and yup, it's growing), & those big beige boxes & CRTs sure do take up a lot of room. It's why I've yet to try Retro PC stuff myself despite being very interested.

Like I said earlier in the thread, all they need to do is offer an unmodified version alongside a modified version. I don't think the OP is asking for too much when you put it like that.
    I dont know how it is where you come from but charity shops/thrift stores where i live is flooding in CRTVs and monitors which is sold for peanuts, even designer ones like B&O.

Prices on retro-tech have gone up, primarily due to a market suddenly existing.
    The retro-tech market outside of consoles and HIFI, especially as functional parts rather than collectibles, is still miniscule despite getting a bit bigger.
    Retro PC parts is not really a huge market, except for the more iconic hardware.

It's not just ''releasing the unmodified version'', as they'd still need to support a way of actually installing the game, unless they'd put that responsibility entirely on the people who bought the game (who probably would complain that they bought a game they cant install off the bat).
    The unmodified version would still need to come with a mount-file or be slightly modified for it to run and install it without the disc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. It's something extra others don't make you do. Elsewhere you just get the money back but at gog they first try to push gog wallet money or a survey to get real money.
    Already feel scammed by a bad game and then it's a double whammy of them making you fill a survey after it.
    how are you being scammed if they give you your money back? writing isn't hard. they want feedback. it's not an unreasonable request. i think you're just looking for a reason to pirate.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I bet their shop looks really bad on Netscape Navigator, too.

I'd rather vote Trump than play or do whatever on Win98 ever again

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    These old games do not run on new systems so yes they have to add a shell around it to make them work and that can cause them not to work on the original old systems.

Losing backwards compatibility to allow these older games to still be played on new pc's is, imo, a small price to pay to stop them from vanishing completely.
    adding the original files as an alternative download on their store shouldn't be rocket science either.

how are you being scammed if they give you your money back? writing isn't hard. they want feedback. it's not an unreasonable request. i think you're just looking for a reason to pirate.
    Because you didn't get your money back yet. Then they ask you to do more things to get your money back. Until they actually give it back it feels like a scam. They even try to push their own Gog money on you first instead of returning real money. Does not feel good.
    Sure it's not unreasonable, but can get it easier elsewhere so I go elsewhere. Why stay there if they require you to do more work than other platforms?
    What does piracy have to do with this? I already said I'm going for other platforms, good experiences with Epics, Steams and Humbles refunds already, around 1-3 refunds on each. Only Gog has been annoying so only them will I avoid.
    Last edited by kukkamies; 2020-10-01 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    If you are going to get games the "arr matey" way, why dont you get windows 10 the "arr matey" way so the games will work?
    does the average hardware from 98 even have the capacity to run win10? what did pcs have back then? 128-256mb ram and less than 1ghz cpus? maybe even less?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Why are you running Windows XP in 2020?
    XP for me was the best for games, most titles were working fine no matter if older or newer.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why not? The games are designed for these "legacy systems". It works if I download the original iso's but feels wrong having to resort to piracy for something I own legit.
    its literally not piracy to download the iso of a game you have a cd key for

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    its literally not piracy to download the iso of a game you have a cd key for
    dude in some places it's piracy to make a home copy for personal use.